Icon VS Non-Icon

ShadowofEnigma
204 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I was just wondering. I've got most of the players I want on my team. I have some extra gold.

Ive been looking at Icon players. Is say, an 86-88 icon, better than a 90 normal card.

Say Icon Deco (87 Cam) vs Modric / Kroos?

Or Desailly (CDM 88) , vs Sergio Busquets (Ultimate Scream card 89)

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I was just wondering the benefit of icons.

Comments

• I was just wondering. I've got most of the players I want on my team. I have some extra gold.

Ive been looking at Icon players. Is say, an 86-88 icon, better than a 90 normal card.

Say Icon Deco (87 Cam) vs Modric / Kroos?

Or Desailly (CDM 88) , vs Sergio Busquets (Ultimate Scream card 89)

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I was just wondering the benefit of icons.

All depends which is is. Some of the low rated icons look great and some look a bit naff. The obvious benefit is that the Icons link to every player in game so they really help when it comes to hybrids.

In the examples you've given I'd say Modric would be better option as he's so much cheaper and looks similar. Very close call thought between Busquests and Desailly. Curse to Busquests looks unreal due to his boosts but as soon as those change he's not going to be as good.
  • sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    The only icons that are really worth their price tags are the top tier ones. A lot of the others have mediocre stats and barring the extra chemistry links are no better than a lot of nif gold players.

All icons are also over priced this year.

I would say the two you have mentioned would not be worth it.
  • ShadowofEnigma
    The Ultimate scream boosts are permanent. I already have Busquets Ultimate scream.
    I also already have Modric and Kroos.

I was just asking because I can't figure out what to buy. I don't know why but I've got a great team, but I still suck at FIFA. lol.

Ive got Messi, IF Suarez, Mordric, Kroos, Rakitic, Busquets (scream card), Casemerio (89 rated card), Varane, Ramos, Godin, Marcelo, Alba, and for RB, I have a few cards, but none that are stand out for this team. Was thinking of getting Zaretti (92), just hating spending 1.1-1.4 mil on a RB instead of attacker. But if Icons are just mediocre, then I won't bother.

I was just asking because a month ago, when listing my team, someone told me to keep the players I use, sell the ones I dont, and buy an Icon player with the extra gold.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2375 posts Fans' Favourite
    @ShadowofEnigma they're permanent but not on the current stats. The 90+ will rotate to other stats at some point, we just don't know when.
  • ShadowofEnigma
    What about replacing Varane should I keep (86 CB) over 91 CB Fernando Hierro / Blanc (both 91 cb)
    I wish I could use the card I have ( Godin) , but his pace is too slow, same with UEFA Champions Road to the Finals Pique

Think I'm either going to get a CB Icon or RB Icon. They are my two weakest players at the moment. 92 Zaretti would be a full 10 points better than what Ive got (IF Marcos). But my main problem right now is scoring goals, but I think thats more user error / problem than the team I have. That or I'm just conceding too many goals.
  • ShadowofEnigma
    Oh, so Busquets will keep the 90 pace and shooting until the next scream event, then it just rotates to something else? Hmm. Didn't know that. Thought I had read its staying the way it is somewhere.
  • EekAlaska
    2488 posts Fans' Favourite
    Varane is a top tier CB. But if you get an Icon it does make more sense to get an attacker.
  • sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    Oh, so Busquets will keep the 90 pace and shooting until the next scream event, then it just rotates to something else? Hmm. Didn't know that. Thought I had read its staying the way it is somewhere.

They rotate to another two stats at some point. So when he loses that pace his value will plummet
  • ShadowofEnigma
    edited December 2018
    PS. Never search the internet while ALT+Tabbed out of your FIFA. Apparently moving the mouse and typing led to me bidding 1.1 mil on a player.

Joy....
    Lesson learned :(

Still 14 hours left, lets hope someone else wants it.
  • opasni_
    3686 posts National Call-Up
    I tried 3 icons.. Baby seedorf, sheva and kluivert.

Kinda dissapointed.

I have team now with Mertens - Aguero and Dybala behind them and they feel like elite players and score some amazing goals out of nowhere.

Funny thing is those three cost about 550k..that's 200k less than average icon striker.

• FlyingOkapis
    1223 posts Professional
    Had 93 MVB - 1.2mil at the time, prefer IF 90 Kane 175k, Kane feels like a huge upgrade on MVB too which is strange.
  • ShadowofEnigma
    I did end up buying an icon card. Only because I can't find a decent RB for la-liga. I have a RB I love(IF Muener), but doesn't have any chem links with my team . I have an IF la-liga player for RB (82 rated, 90 pace), but he's not been great at defense.

I ended up buying 92 rated RB Zaretti. I am happy with him.

Anyone have the Yashin 94 GK? Was thinking about getting him instead of Courtoius.
    Was curious if he's really good or not. I've been up against him twice, never scored a goal against. But theres plenty of games where I cant score.

Seems most Icons are mediocre. So Ill just save up to get one I really want if no IF players come out I want.

I currently am running 5-2-1-2. Messi, IF Suarez
    Raktic
    Modric, Sergio Busquets (Ultimate Scream)
    Jordi Alba, Varane, Ramos, Godin, Zaretti

Anyone know of anything that could improve the team?

I have Ronaldo, just unpacked him this week. Been debating on using him or selling and buying a better team. I love his stats. I want to use him, simply because Messi can't seem to take ANY physical encounters without losing the ball. I dont know any of the dribbling moves and skills games dont teach them.

I tried 4-2-3-1 , I liked it, but I seem to suck terribly at defense and concede too many goals without a 5 man back field.
  • Safehands84
    4121 posts National Call-Up
    I always go for an icon. One because of nostalgia but mainly because I can use normal players in all the other modes where’s as icons it’s only FU
  • Screamsuppress
    105 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Rule number 1 in FIFA is Ronaldo. Not the Icon, the penalty one that plays for Juve. He must be spearheading your team asap.

Modric and Rakitic to be blunt aren't suited well to the game, Modric is too small and doesn't make up for it with defensive stats or pace to be too useful, Rakitic lacks pace. This is a sweaty opinion but if you really want what's better it's the way to go.
    Ideally you'd want 2 defensive mids as close to Viera as possible.
    The hierarchy is as follows: Defensive stat, Pace, Height, Work rate.

Another thing is unless you park the bus, 5 at the back won't help you out defensively; you'll be pinned back the whole time with an opponent waiting to finesse it with their Penaldo. With 2 CDMs you can break the attack before it turns into a full blown siege.

CMs aren't as useful in the game as having CDM + CAM. You might think it's better have them as box-to-box, or linking defense or attack or w/e, but it's alot easier when it comes to positioning your midfielders on defense to just have them in CDM & CAM. CAM presses, CDM covers pass.

• pudgyfudgy
    6185 posts Big Money Move
    Icons make hybrids possible, so you can use the very best from multiple leagues instead of being stuck with one league. Your RB problem is the perfect example – no outstanding RBs in La Liga. But if you bought an Italian Icon CB (Nesta or Maldini, for example), then you could use RTTF Florenzi at RB.

But to answer your question in general, there's a special something about Icons that defy their stats. 85 Zola has similar stats to Mertens, even though he is only 85-rated, but performs significantly better than Mertens and many other strikers. I have both in my team so I can attest to that. I'm sure others will say the same about other icons too.