The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

3/5 At The Back Thread

FreddieKane
716 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited December 2018
Anyone had any success with 3 or 5 atb formations since the patch?
Post edited by FreddieKane on

Comments

• FreddieKane
    Bump - Specifically inquiring about 532 and 352
  • Skillzy
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play both and have great success, I have everything on getting forward but play with 1 bar depth it’s a must, I switch between the 2 dependent on the way the game runs, 532 to see the game out is a must
  • FreddieKane
    Skillzy wrote: »
    I play both and have great success, I have everything on getting forward but play with 1 bar depth it’s a must, I switch between the 2 dependent on the way the game runs, 532 to see the game out is a must

Good to hear! Does 532 still have the ability to attack effectively?
  • Skillzy
    313 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yes, very much so, you will find you attack more than most formations, it’s worth investing in a real good back line, I use Marcelo, Godin, Ramos, Varrane and de Marcos IF, works a treat. Literally hold up the play and everyone will move up to attack
  • Ghotti
    3286 posts National Call-Up
    Yes, very much so, you will find you attack more than most formations, it’s worth investing in a real good back line, I use Marcelo, Godin, Ramos, Varrane and de Marcos IF, works a treat. Literally hold up the play and everyone will move up to attack

div?
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    3976 posts National Call-Up

Nice.

I am enjoying the 5212. Very attacking, I feel like the 532 May be better tho. What midfielders are you using??
  • Davey Sprockett
    4366 posts National Call-Up
    Always use 3atb, had moderate success until recently, haven't won game in a few days.

Not sure what has exactly gone wrong, maybe other things on my mind, but it genuinely seems like the game has decided I'm going on a massive losing streak until further notice.

Last game, about ten minutes ago, tif Werner skyed it about five times in the box, twice with an open goal.

It's either the formation, or shenanigans at play, I can't win at all, when previously my players have been nothing but clinical in the box.
  • DarthGrowler
    15367 posts World Class
    Always use 3atb, had moderate success until recently, haven't won game in a few days.

Not sure what has exactly gone wrong, maybe other things on my mind, but it genuinely seems like the game has decided I'm going on a massive losing streak until further notice.

Last game, about ten minutes ago, tif Werner skyed it about five times in the box, twice with an open goal.

It's either the formation, or shenanigans at play, I can't win at all, when previously my players have been nothing but clinical in the box.

I'm in the same boat. I literally haven't won in 20 now. Everything goes.wrong and players feel terrible
  • CtldChaos
    2205 posts Fans' Favourite
    Use 532 in this past WL.

I found that you kinda need to use an "Iron Dome" type strategy. Meaning that you setup the back 5 to be D and only D. You have them standing at the Mid-line maybe a little higher. Then the "out balls" from the opponents box run into this wall of D. To make this work you need D, especially center D, with good aggression, they will make sure the ST is nullified on the "out balls". Your RWB and LWB also need some sped because of the counter people try.

What they do is leave a CAM or other CM in between their box and the midline, they send the out ball to them who then trys to boot it for a long ball. If your LWB & RWB have sufficient pace that should not be a problem just be prepared with subs if necessary to refresh them. Also if the out ball does make it to their ST do not get tempted to overplay it and chase them, if they make that pass let them come to you, pull the CCB out of position will leave a pretty big gaping hole from them to 1-2 through.

As for the 3 & the 2, go to town on the attack with them. You will find that you are more comfortable attacking with aggression because you know that 5 is back there in a line. You are not worried that your CDM has come too far forward and is now out of position. Also, if they play a narrow formation, change to a 352 with 2 CDMs, tuck in the LWB and RWB and watch how screwed they are on their counterattack plan.
  • llcg04
    527 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Im playing 532 right now and i enjoy it. Wing backs on attack of course. Great against narrow Formations, espacially if you have good dribbling skills.

Also Tough to counter as you still have 3 cb. Only Problem i habe sometimes is, that There is too much Space between cm and the last line
  • Davey Sprockett
    4366 posts National Call-Up

I'm in the same boat. I literally haven't won in 20 now. Everything goes.wrong and players feel terrible

@DarthGrowler the game has been darn right evil lately for me, had 2-2 multiple matches, only to lose to the last kick of the game.

I usually only lose by one goal, and most that I concede are rebounds and sweats.

I think I have the least luck of any fut player going, I have to work my arse off to score, and my opponent seems to score rebounds over and over.

At some point, I have to ask myself, is the game itself actually working against me.
  • B16Lad
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Saw a Nepenthez draft video where he used 5221 and raved about it, after having a terrible WL I decided to try it out tonight and was really effective, beat some considerably better teams (I’m using a half decent Serie A team to get the Parolo objective hopefully). Was quite fun actually, easy to switch between attacking/defensive play styles and made it much easier playing against narrow teams
  • kingDrogbaaaa
    1363 posts Professional

@DarthGrowler the game has been darn right evil lately for me, had 2-2 multiple matches, only to lose to the last kick of the game.

I usually only lose by one goal, and most that I concede are rebounds and sweats.

I think I have the least luck of any fut player going, I have to work my arse off to score, and my opponent seems to score rebounds over and over.

At some point, I have to ask myself, is the game itself actually working against me.

I can relate to this, sometimes I feel like I’m playing against the opposition plus EA
  • FreddieKane

I can relate to this, sometimes I feel like I’m playing against the opposition plus EA

These comments about not being able to win lately are amusing as the exact thing has happened to me across multiple teams/formations. Out of the last 12 or so games I've drawn around 9 and won 1, it's actually becoming ridiculous haha.
  • Ryan10g
    1532 posts Play-Off Hero
    I got g2 with 352 this weekend. I feel you need a kante or defensive m/h cdm as a must.
    I used CL sanches and matuidi for most of this weekend and the dual h/h didnt mesh well. When I switched to swap guli after selling ADP and using sanches at cam the defense was way more sturdy. The offense was not but losing ADP will do that lol.

Also a strong backline is a must, I start boatang on 8 chem at lb then form switch to boatang varane and CL kimpembe and they are really good.

Always up to swap tactics as I have decided to primarily use it from here out.
  • Edu
    6846 posts Big Money Move
    5 at the back is a must this year for me.
    It is the best way to avoid the gaps that the game forces you to leave.

918892193a161e55e1d913654b97f155.jpg
  • FreddieKane
    For those who are having success, what custom tactics are you using? I tried a pretty good 532/5212 team out for a bunch of games earlier today and it felt like I had no real space - I'm guessing a majority of that is down to the ever-present button delay though.
  • Ghotti
    i`m curious in which div are you with 3/5ab was my favourite formation 5212 in F17 where i could easy won s1 but here its not working looks like
  • FreddieKane
    DonovanFan wrote: »
    I’m miserable because ppl on this thread advocating 5 atb with 1 depth is exactly what has ruined fifa these past 3 years and I’m not your “ mate” either especially if you use xploits to play a competitive game . You confuse the truth with misery

IMO, gone are the days that 5 atb formations are deemed "only negative". Got to move on from the '12 or '13 mindset when people certainly did abuse them - horribly.

Not that I do use it, but playing with a 5 atb formation using the likes of Dani Alves & Marcelo - WR's + Instructions - will play more like a 3 atb formation.

That's exactly what I was looking for haha, I love using attacking full backs - I've never bothered with 5atb in previous FIFAs but thought I'd give it a shot to see if it clicked this year. No luck so far though, gonna try 3421 again.

Yeah - don't let the thread get off track IMO.

The beauty of it is that you can at least start with your FB's on full chem. Now, many years ago my OCD would certainly have meant that I would only start the entire team on full chem. Nowadays I don't mind a few players on 7 chem.

So, for me 3 atb is the formation that I always revert to. I'm also loving Custom Tactics as whatever team I build, I ensure it can morph into a 352/3412. I instantly switch to the 352 (attacking) formation.

Yeah good call, that last comment to him will be my last. Haha you sound similar to me, I still can't have players off full chem, won't even use dynamic tactics to switch them around at the start of the game (it annoys me that I'm like this).

What type of wide midfielders have you found the best for 3 at the back formations? I haven't been able to figure out if I need to have decent defensive wingers (there's only a select few in the game) or not.
  • Ghotti
    Drizzt wrote: »
    I’m miserable because ppl on this thread advocating 5 atb with 1 depth is exactly what has ruined fifa these past 3 years and I’m not your “ mate” either especially if you use xploits to play a competitive game . You confuse the truth with misery

I'm interested in how "everyone" should play FIFA and which formations "everyone" should use, seeing as us 3 ATB players are obviously doing it wrong.

I forgot when I bought FIFA with my own money, I was supposed to sign up to the you need to play FIFA the way others tell you because otherwise you're spoiling their fun.

What's next, no Icons allowed?

Football snobs, way to many of them around on here.

You play how you want.

Anyway, I've found 3421 extremely fun and effective but I still love 532 and 5212. 5221 doesn't work for me.

Interested in people's custom tactics, but more interested in what work rates work the best in each position. I tend to just shove good players in positions without thinking of wr hence 3 CBs with wrong we etc.

Good thread...

you have to play 4231 as all pro on last tournament. If you cant buy icons you HAVE TO USE PL team. Only on christmass and evey second saturday of the month you can switch to 433 4.
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2018
    ssq5j1L.png

To get some discussion back on topic!

Here's an example of the type of team I might build - how do we think this would play? Is there any workrate issues/player type issues etc?
  • llcg04
    527 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2018
    I played 5212 but There wasnt enough Space, the cam and strikers were too close together and the cms too narrow.

I Switched to 532 it works besser now. How do you guys instruct the strikers?
  • FreddieKane
    llcg04 wrote: »
    I played 5212 but There wasnt enough Space, the cam and strikers were too close together and the cm too narrow.

I Switched to 532 it works besser now. How do you guys instruct the strikers?

I found the same thing with 5212, anyone with a 3+ man midfield would just put too much pressure on the build up.
  • FreddieKane

IMO, gone are the days that 5 atb formations are deemed "only negative". Got to move on from the '12 or '13 mindset when people certainly did abuse them - horribly.

Not that I do use it, but playing with a 5 atb formation using the likes of Dani Alves & Marcelo - WR's + Instructions - will play more like a 3 atb formation.

That's exactly what I was looking for haha, I love using attacking full backs - I've never bothered with 5atb in previous FIFAs but thought I'd give it a shot to see if it clicked this year. No luck so far though, gonna try 3421 again.

Yeah - don't let the thread get off track IMO.

The beauty of it is that you can at least start with your FB's on full chem. Now, many years ago my OCD would certainly have meant that I would only start the entire team on full chem. Nowadays I don't mind a few players on 7 chem.

So, for me 3 atb is the formation that I always revert to. I'm also loving Custom Tactics as whatever team I build, I ensure it can morph into a 352/3412. I instantly switch to the 352 (attacking) formation.

Yeah good call, that last comment to him will be my last. Haha you sound similar to me, I still can't have players off full chem, won't even use dynamic tactics to switch them around at the start of the game (it annoys me that I'm like this).

What type of wide midfielders have you found the best for 3 at the back formations? I haven't been able to figure out if I need to have decent defensive wingers (there's only a select few in the game) or not.

Re: what wide midfielders ... depends on which 3 atb I'm using. If it's 3412 or 3421, then I want at least one pacey 'fullback-type' player in there. SBC Dani Alves is of course great, but do change instructions for him.

If I'm using 352, then I'm comfortable with both being attacking, but still making sure one comes back on defence. I just have the pace there, if needed. High Stamina is a must for me, as both do a lot of work for me and are knackered at the end.

Yeah good shout, so you tend to have one wingers player instructions to come back on D? I regret not doing that SBC Alves a fair bit now, I played a few games with overlapping fullbacks on a 4321 and it was a blast.
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    ssq5j1L.png

Here's an example of the type of team I might build - how do we think this would play? Is there any workrate issues/player type issues etc?

For me that would be way too attacking, given your CB's have lower Pace than I'd personally use. Even with your LM & RM coming back on defence, they're not really defensive and I think you'd be caught out - quite a lot.

Also, one of your Custom Tactics would need to be a 4 atb formation, in case you come up against someone that can abuse 3 atb (they hoof it up to pacey wingers). You would therefore need to sub off one of those guys for a proper FB.
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2018
    ssq5j1L.png

For me that would be way too attacking, given your CB's have lower Pace than I'd personally use. Even with your LM & RM coming back on defence, they're not really defensive and I think you'd be caught out - quite a lot.

Also, one of your Custom Tactics would need to be a 4 atb formation, in case you come up against someone that can abuse 3 atb (they hoof it up to pacey wingers). You would therefore need to sub off one of those guys for a proper FB.

Yeah fair, good tips! What CBs are you finding work well in 3atb? Azpilicueta wasn't too bad but I hated him in a 4atb formation.
  • FreddieKane
    edited December 2018
    edit.
  • Ghotti
    edited December 2018
    had once 10:0 in WL with 532 maybe its time for second shot?

9d6a3cbafe5375fa.png
  • FreddieKane
    Ghotti wrote: »
    had once 10:0 in WL with 532 maybe its time for second shot?

9d6a3cbafe5375fa.png

Werner almost looks out of place in that team haha
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    ssq5j1L.png

Yeah fair, good tips! What CBs are you finding work well in 3atb? Azpilicueta wasn't too bad but I hated him in a 4atb formation.

Most times I'm happy to use a pacier, smaller player like him as one of outside CB's. Also, I like to use tall FB's on 7-chem, so RTTF Alonso gives De Gea a double link meaning I can use Ramos as another CB with someone like Varane as the last option - very expensive, but the are huge in defence.

If you're going Serie A, Skriniar in the middle with Juan Jesus as the LCB & then Nainggolan as the LCM meaning it's pretty close to full chem.

La Liga … I use the IF Neto - Gabriel Paulista perfect chem for a nice hybrid solution.