OT: English Football Structure... Edjumacate me, please

CtldChaos
2076 posts Fans' Favourite
I need to be "edjumacated"....

This is my understanding, please feel free to correct it.

In US Soccer the age "bands" have a clear and fixed rule. Specifically, that a player can ONLY play UP. Meaning that a 9 year old can play "UP" on the 10 year old or 11 year old team, but cannot play "down" onto the 8 year old team. To my knowledge that extends throughout all of the strata in US Soccer.

How does it work in English football?

I ask because Koscielny, Age 33, is playing nearly full games with U21 and U23 squads...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/story/3718637/arsenal-ease-laurent-koscielny-injury-setback-fears-as-first-team-return-nears

How does it work in English / European Football?

Comments

• AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    In England there is allowed to be three over 23s in am U23 squad. This helps for first teamers coming back after a long injury.
  • CtldChaos
    2076 posts Fans' Favourite
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    In England there is allowed to be three over 23s in am U23 squad. This helps for first teamers coming back after a long injury.

Interesting.... how does it work at the lower age levels?
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    CtldChaos wrote: »
    AFC_95 wrote: »

Interesting.... how does it work at the lower age levels?

It's not allowed. Only U23, if I'm not mistaken. Lower ages you have to be the age or younger.
  • Alex_cr
    5113 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah basically U23 replaced our reserve leagues. The over age rule was really designed to allow injured players returning to play at a decent level.

It is the only age group this applied to.