Help me with finishing please.

Absting159
6677 posts Moderator
All week in Rivals, I have no issue scoring. Weekend league hits, my shooting % is terrible. I track my stats - through the week I'm around 70%. . .higher when i win, lower when I lose for the most part.

WL - I'm 30-50% at best. The only games I'm over 50% this weekend are the ones I won. I don't do Timed Finishing - haven't been able to get the hang of it.

I fully get that sure my opponents are maybe a higher caliber, but I'm missing open nets. I'm missing one on ones. . .I always seem to hit is straight at the GK in WL.

Help.

Comments

• Knowlesdinho
    10157 posts Has That Special Something
    I always aim for the corners with power when I’m in the box. It seems to work because my finishing is quite good. I’m not sure if that helps?
  • Knowlesdinho
    I did miss a Fernando Torres style howler from about yard with an open goal using timed finishing...it was mistimed, but to hit the crossbar from there was crazy :joy:
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    @Knowlesdinho I think that's what I'm trying to do. . .default shot is upper 90 finesse. I don't know why I can't finish at the weekend vs. any other time. I'm so frustrated.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Absting159 wrote: »
    @Knowlesdinho I think that's what I'm trying to do. . .default shot is upper 90 finesse. I don't know why I can't finish at the weekend vs. any other time. I'm so frustrated.

I don’t use finesse that much. I’ve found shooting across the keeper to be very effective this year, but with power.

I’m usually coming in from the side though.
  • TalentFG
    1532 posts Play-Off Hero
    I warm up on the shooting drills before I play. I find it helps.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Have you thought about streaming your games @Absting159?

Then we can watch and see if there are any suggestions we can make. I’m sure all the guys in your thread would be happy to support you.
  • Blarix
    20810 posts Club Captain
    Are you trying to time shots?

If you have it turned off just finesse normal when in 1v1 situation .
  • mjs4p
    11088 posts Has That Special Something
    @Absting159

You know this, but I’m really struggling with finishing post patch too. I probably don’t finesse from the top of the box as much as I should, but I used to score a bunch across the keeper with power as @Knowlesdinho said, but those seem to get saved now.

My defense has been decent post patch (0-2 goals allowed typically), but I’m really struggling to score. I had a 0-0 last night that I won on pens. Here were the stats:

8Xx2JWb.png

:joy: Needless to say, I’m interested in the responses to this thread!
  • Whoman
    5306 posts Big Money Move
    Watch the GK (what camera do you use btw ?) rather than pre-determining where you shoot it. Especially in 1:1 Situations there usually is one side wide open. Also using L1 chip ball can be really usefull and rewarding against onrushing GK and the space for a clear shot gets to tight.

Overall, try to create a better angle if you can just before shooting.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    @Blarix This is whats driving me nuts. . that's what I do. Prime Zola with a Hunter is skying balls - it has to be some type of button delay where the game is registering much heavier than I'm doing.

@Whoman I don't know if I've EVER chipped a ball. . . need to work on that.
    @TalentFG I might have to do this again - i did first few weeks but haven't lately.

@mjs4p Dude, I just won a game with 22 shots. .12 on target. 4 goals - atleast this part happened. I normally lose these games. I'm now 4-9 :(.
  • mjs4p
    Hang in there. I won’t be playing until later but I’ll report back if I find some things that are working.
  • mjs4p
    Here’s a few examples from me where I felt like I took a good shot but it didn’t work:

Not sure why he dribbles this one; I thought I gave it some power:

https://xboxclips.com/mjs4p/d40ea45f-dbe9-4d45-baaa-1b16909e9298

This one is a finesse shot by Reus; I know it’s his WF, but really!?!

https://xboxclips.com/mjs4p/caff31a1-3543-44cc-8491-ee874e15df82
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    Either timed finesse, first time finesse or normal finesse.

No other shots are worth doing, and I’m not joking, I literally finesse every shot.

Hitting the woodwork will still be common, but most shots willl go in.
  • PJazz
    2202 posts Fans' Favourite
    Normal Finesse Shot outside the box and Power shots (Lt+B) inside the box.
    To be honest, the best finishing technique after the patch is passing again instead of shooting, or the same as fifa 17; Barcelona Style - Dribbling with your wingers and instead of crossing, just RB+X or A for an easy tapping. It works like a charm ;)
  • Geenoui
    394 posts Sunday League Hero
    Low drivens are still really OP. Not to the extent they were last year but still good
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    Low driven are superb when you're not on your "finesse side", a silly amount go straight through the keeper.

It's not as accurate from the edge of the box as it was last year though.
  • Whoman
    edited December 2018
    @Absting159 2 examples of what i mean by creating a better angle, admittedly both clear cut 1:1 so a bit on the easier side. Overall i don't exactly score a ton of goals either, but that's more due to inaptitude in terms of creating open shots from 16-18 yards ...

53aUaSV.gif

Basically drifting to my right a bit and seeing if the goalie comes out. If he stays in, just Finesse it near post. If he comes out, tap into the far corner (normal, Finesse, low driven all work) or chip it depending on how far out you are. Also, remember to slow down a bit at the last second (if you can), that really improves accuracy in these situations since they changed the impact of pressure from behind in the 2nd to last patch.

k9u4Znn.gif

Here i cut inside and that way force the GK to drift over as well. Don't try to force it onto the Strong Foot, even 3* guys can easily hit a low-power shot like that.

@PJazz I never hit a target when doing that :/
  • Muzza11
    8249 posts League Winner
    TalentFG wrote: »

This man knows
  • ha032742
    35033 posts Moderator
    Muzza11 wrote: »

This man knows

Is timing for volleyed timed finishes different...rarely hit them green :anguished:
  • DonovanFan
    603 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I have new for you guys there is coding in the game that will make you miss key shots at times. Since the patch even more so
  • xciljw
    4969 posts National Call-Up
    ha032742 wrote: »

This man knows

Is timing for volleyed timed finishes different...rarely hit them green :anguished:

@ha032742 it is different, just like it is different for normal shots compared to finesse shots. At least that is what I feel.
  • PJazz
    Whoman wrote: »
    @Absting159 2 examples of what i mean by creating a better angle, admittedly both clear cut 1:1 so a bit on the easier side. Overall i don't exactly score a ton of goals either, but that's more due to inaptitude in terms of creating open shots from 16-18 yards ...

53aUaSV.gif

Basically drifting to my right a bit and seeing if the goalie comes out. If he stays in, just Finesse it near post. If he comes out, tap into the far corner (normal, Finesse, low driven all work) or chip it depending on how far out you are. Also, remember to slow down a bit at the last second (if you can), that really improves accuracy in these situations since they changed the impact of pressure from behind in the 2nd to last patch.

k9u4Znn.gif

Here i cut inside and that way force the GK to drift over as well. Don't try to force it onto the Strong Foot, even 3* guys can easily hit a low-power shot like that.

@PJazz I never hit a target when doing that :/

I don't know what to say bro 😣 that's how I scored most of my goals 😣
  • Finesse_4days
    6871 posts Big Money Move
    Finesse with low amounts of power for easy goals from close distance and the player will hit it with a similar technique to a low driven finesse from last year, also always watch where the keeper is and if they move to cover the far post hit it in the near post. As well as that when you are just inside the box and have got a defender near you and you have little time to manoeuvre the ball smack it first time towards the far top corner as first time across shots seem quite good.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    Thank you guys. I'm gonna have to work at this during the week. It's really hard to try and think when under the "constant pressure" idiots of WL.

In all honestly though, I finesse 90% of my shots because it's been ingrained by the early patches. @SupaNoodle1990

@PJazz That's really what I try for, but I'm not great at dribbling in tight spaces.

@Geenoui This has been mentioned and I need to try and add that LB because I"m already hitting RB for finesse, lol.

@Finesse_4days

Just wanted to tag and thank you guys. I'm still not finishing. . .at 5-12. I'm keeping calm now though - which is helpful, but I'm still infuriated. I just need to really practice.

I did just switch from "assisted" to "semi" and the last game I was 5/5 shots on goal and won 2-1. Maybe assisted was jacking me up post patch and before it didn't make much of a difference? Who knows, something is killing me and I need to figure it out.
  • Greedy_Marco
    670 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just do an El Tornado and bang volleys in for fun. That stuff is more op than a timed finesse
  • Whoman
    edited December 2018
    ha032742 wrote: »

This man knows

I think the main thing is that you have a longer wait period in between initial press and follow up (or wait longer for the first press), simply because usually for those shots the ball is in the air for a bit while low passes and/or simply dribble-->shoot instances require you to tap very close to each other.

Overall, it also kinda depends on the players and their animations. Bigger players you have a bit more of a window for the second press/tap i would say than you have for smaller ones. But then again, for those you can get away with almost a double-tap as they take less time to gather.

And yeah, low shots are still effective in the right situations. On Volley as well btw, quite fun (albeit challenging) to sink them with LB+RB.
  • PJazz
    @Absting159 In my opinion, you only need to know how to perform 2 or 3 skills:

Ball Roll
    Close-Dribbling (Lt+rt)
    The new Fake shot (this skill move is lethal!) - Learn this one (LB+ fake shot) - see video below

They are super simple and it only takes a couple of days to master these skills

• PJazz
    @Absting159 and you should also learn the one in the video! called the "spin". it is super easy :)
    You need a 4 S.Skill - and while running; flick the right stick twice in any backward direction (opposite direction to the direction you are running).
    https://xboxclips.com/PxJAZZ/1957e043-76ba-4b7a-afc0-ca2d859226aa