Timed finishing doesn't have a place in weekend league...

It's simply too easy. I'm glad they've patched the AI but it is now just too easy to get to the edge of the box, from almost any angle and timed finesse top corner. At least during the awful OP AI times they'd block it, but now they just watch. Even moving the keeper is to no avail.

Not so much a rant post, it goes both ways and I score them when I need the win (try to avoid being too sweaty) but it's way too easy.

Does anyone else feel this needs fixing? Anyone have a solution? For me it seems once you've mastered how to press the shoot button twice at the right time, you will score for fun. I don't see the challenge and I think, for me anyway, it's ruining the weekend league way more than all the sweaty tactics used.

Comments

• forearms
    4155 posts National Call-Up
    Assisted controls dont have a place in weekend league. All competitive formats should be manual.
  • ASlowPotato
    706 posts Semi-Pro
    edited November 2018
    forearms wrote: »
    Assisted controls dont have a place in weekend league. All competitive formats should be manual.

I fail to see the relevance of this comment in relation to the original post...unless you mean every setting on manual? Whilst I agree, I think it would put 99% of the player base off playing.
  • anaughtysausage
    220 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Learn to move the keeper
  • forearms
    edited November 2018

I fail to see the relevance of this comment in relation to the original post...unless you mean every setting on manual? Whilst I agree, I think it would put 99% of the player base off playing.

Yep. All controls should be manual. Why should competitive modes allow assisted anything?

Besides, players would learn how to do it. They didnt have assisted controls before and people still played.
  • ThaTonka
    82 posts Park Captain

Would love this, but playing this broken game on manual is like trying to make a lobotomized monkey to tap dance. Gameplay needs a complete overhaul with manual in mind before that can happen.
  • Learn to move the keeper

Learn to read.
  • What do you mean they didn't have assisted controlls before? Must of been before fifa 2004
  • FCBlunt
    1638 posts Play-Off Hero
    Timed shooting doesnt belong to begin with.

Its impossible to pull off if the game lags, it looks ridiculous when pulled off and yeah. It’s more OP than the low drivens from 18.
  • I've only conceded 2 in 13 games this WL
  • Navraat
    2992 posts National Call-Up
    There will always be some OP way to score
  • abcdefg123
    798 posts Semi-Pro
    edited November 2018
    Keeper has saved plenty of green timed shots too
  • forearms
    abcdefg123 wrote: »
    What do you mean they didn't have assisted controlls before? Must of been before fifa 2004

You think that they have had assisted controls since video games have been around?
  • A5B
    2957 posts National Call-Up
    Don't really have a problem with it.

I feel there's been no real change to AI blocking, leaving timed finesse as the only real counter to people defending deep and refusing to manually close you down. It's ridiculous that the most effective way of scoring is hitting a timed finesse from 30 yards, but it's what has to be done in my book.
  • Fifa has for as long as I can remember
  • A5B wrote: »

I feel there's been no real change to AI blocking, leaving timed finesse as the only real counter to people defending deep and refusing to manually close you down. It's ridiculous that the most effective way of scoring is hitting a timed finesse from 30 yards, but it's what has to be done in my book.

I think this is partly the problem. It is the only easy way to score. I guess no matter what is changed, no matter even if EA got their s**t together people would still find a way to abuse the game mechanics.

Maybe the issue is just the fact that every game mode is SUPER competitive win at all costs format now.

God, I miss the days of building mad B/S/G teams and using weird unique IFs that came our way. You'd go into seasons and find people doing the same. Silver and Bronze tournaments were always fun for a bit of a change in gameplay. Remember when they made that guy a bronze GK...Wellington was it?
  • A5B
    2957 posts National Call-Up
    A5B wrote: »

I think this is partly the problem. It is the only easy way to score. I guess no matter what is changed, no matter even if EA got their s**t together people would still find a way to abuse the game mechanics.

Maybe the issue is just the fact that every game mode is SUPER competitive win at all costs format now.

God, I miss the days of building mad B/S/G teams and using weird unique IFs that came our way. You'd go into seasons and find people doing the same. Silver and Bronze tournaments were always fun for a bit of a change in gameplay. Remember when they made that guy a bronze GK...Wellington was it?

Pretty much. My players, despite high finishing stats, struggle more to put away easy chances compared to previous years. Combined with the ever-OP AI defending, timed finesse is the way to go. EA has forced players' hands, really.

And yeah, I long for the days when I could pick up the controller and head into matches with silvers casually. Unfortunately, even online singles are overrun with people who are embarrassingly desperate to win. Again, a direct result of EA creating a gaming environment solely based around a constant need to win/level up for rewards.