The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Which overpowered shooting mechanism is/was worse

Advait
14717 posts World Class

Which overpowered shooting mechanism is/was worse 157 votes

This year's timed finesse
60%
DascoRulisteningDeversDandingoooRetro1989OrikoruPepe Le DiLzZ CyklonSimmoMathew1606thedustmanSwissyChetikbensjimmierobertsonfifaUTbenYesser7SnapzsMini_MiudoThorny 95 votes
Last year's low driven
39%
RadioShaqha032742SmudgeJaymizzoBrieMineDazzlerLow KiDG4KHleon1309IxToMxIDetorre23EstabanDamo_SuzukiBusterlinNathanBFC94CbfitnessMaluku-AKXx_iou_cheesecake_xXJohnny BravoCaptainDan- 62 votes

Comments

• Tommygunn
    3215 posts National Call-Up
    Last year's low driven
    Low driven by far worse. At least finesse they have to cut in giving you the chance to stop them. Low driven was done at full flight so you’d no chance
  • Stevie_G
    1016 posts Professional
    Interesting/unpopular opinion - neither is bad IMO.

I preferred the OP low drivens myself, because it forced us all to get into the box and make that extra pass before shooting. Chance creation was crucial. Finesse on the other hand takes very little skill to get into the right position.

However, I know full well that, without OP timed finesses, we'd barely see any goals other than set pieces. There is no other consistent way to score goals, at least it takes some skill to actually time the finish so I'm not upset they're in the game
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    It definately has to be the timed finesse, so many time I will have my defence organised and preventing my opponent from getting past my cdm and to my cbs, yet he will just pass it and take a first time shot with his back to goal looping into the net. Atleast with the low driven you mostly only conceded that once he had broken down your defence and you deserved to be punished
  • Cbn
    1109 posts Professional
    edited November 2018
    Rarely if ever low drivens went in with wrong foot, mediocre player, bad angle, first touch and from distance. Bit suprised they didnt add flares/flames behind the ball when you green timed finesse it.

Like many have pointed out, you actually had to break in to the box and position yourself before launching it.
    Post edited by Cbn on
  • tom00
    468 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Not even a question
  • Low Ki
    12097 posts Has That Special Something
    Last year's low driven
    Last years was consistently cheap. This timed finesse is hit or miss but definitely allows for some BS distance finesse’s that make the GK react like a spastic.
  • Tymsy83
    882 posts Semi-Pro
    Low driven you had to create an opening. Timed finesse you can do from 4 miles out with your back to goal
  • Mmandras
    2974 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2018
    Last year's low driven
    Last year finesses were also effective but people don't know about it because of low drivens. In fact I feel like this Fifa has the least effective long shot mechanic in years. Power shots don't work and lot of green finesses also doesn't go in and I'm talking about players with finesse shot traits.

If I have to choose between the two I'd have to choose low drivens.
  • El_Nino
    4407 posts National Call-Up
    Last year's low driven
    Finesse can still be inconsistent at times(realistically so)
    Low drivers were literally unstoppable
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2369 posts Fans' Favourite
    Last year's low driven
    Low driven was way worse. People saying you had to get in the box obviously had a different experience to me, I conceded plenty from the edge/outside the box.
  • miri
    2770 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finesse by far because it's much easier to just spam them from anywhere, you couldn't low driven with Kante from 30 yards and have a relatively decent chance of it going in. To use low driven you had to break your opponent down. I'm actually baffled anyone thinks low driven was worse.
  • Mini_Miudo
    9984 posts Has That Special Something
    miri wrote: »
    Finesse by far because it's much easier to just spam them from anywhere, you couldn't low driven with Kante from 30 yards and have a relatively decent chance of it going in. To use low driven you had to break your opponent down. I'm actually baffled anyone thinks low driven was worse.

• GetDefoeKuyt
    1396 posts Professional
    Can’t wait for Fifa 20 where they remove both & everyone complains it’s too hard to score :)
  • Zv1k0
    5971 posts Big Money Move
    Last year's low driven
    As a shot itself is the same but the main difference is, you can defend finesse shots, you couldn't defend low drivens. And by that, I don't mean the build up to it but the shot itself. If you had people infront of low driven, ball would still find the way into the net. Same situation with finesse shots and one of the defenders will block it. There's also an option to move the keeper. The only pro for finesse shots is distance but that just gives you more time to move the keeper.

Imo, low drivens were way more broken.
  • Theprogamerjay
    357 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2018
    Just remove timed finishing, 2/3 of my "normal" finesse shots go in. I think that tells you enough how op it is.
  • Mini_Miudo
    Can’t wait for Fifa 20 where they remove both & everyone complains it’s too hard to score :)

One can only hope. 1on1s are ok in this game, they don't always go in, but they mostly do if you play it right. That's how it should be. The person who creates more clear cut chances should have a greater chance of winning.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    2054 posts Fans' Favourite
    Last year's low driven
    I think both are equally bad and remove the skill of creating opening/chances. However, the memory of low drivens trickling in past a dodgy keeper dive animation still hurts.
  • Elliot666
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    low drivens you have to get in on goal to score, this year finess is outside the box. much easier imo
  • miri
    2770 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2018
    I'm reading some of the responses to this thread in utter disbelief. Do people actually enjoy that 95% of goals in high level play come from drag back and finesse shot spam from the exact same place on the field? It's actually just awful. Like I get that it was annoying to see keepers do buggy animations to let low drivens in, but they literally do the same thing with long range finesse shots too - they just dive backwards and let the ball go over them. Like I said before, at least with low drivens there was skill in breaking down your opponent's defense, with finesse it's just hit and hope.
  • Footfan
    2600 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2018
    Last year's low driven
    Cbn wrote: »
    Rarely if ever low drivens went in with wrong foot, mediocre player, bad angle, first touch and from distance.

That is true, i scored a ridiculous long shot timed finesse with an unknown discard rare gold player using his 2 star WF.
  • Nivaze
    2973 posts National Call-Up
    With low drivens you atleast had to get into the box, but it was easier last year because of the pace difference.

It’s easy to learn timed finishing and even players with horrible shooting stats can bang in goals with a green timed finish which sucks.
  • Mini_Miudo
    Seriously, how can anyone say low drivens were worse... Inb4 "oh you should move your keeper" - I'm controlling my defenders to stop my opponent from getting through on goal, it's a joke you have to do 2 things at once or alternatively let your AI deal with the dribble. And let's not pretend goalkeepers just randomly leave 75% of their goal open to mark a finesse shot IRL, it's just so dumb. Lost 7-3 to a guy who didn't even try to get in on goal, just spammed timed finesse shots. He had 8 shots on target, 7 goals because timed finishing is just broken. These were all timed finishes:

• Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    Mini_Miudo wrote: »
    Seriously, how can anyone say low drivens were worse... Inb4 "oh you should move your keeper" - I'm controlling my defenders to stop my opponent from getting through on goal, it's a joke you have to do 2 things at once or alternatively let your AI deal with the dribble. And let's not pretend goalkeepers just randomly leave 75% of their goal open to mark a finesse shot IRL, it's just so dumb. Lost 7-3 to a guy who didn't even try to get in on goal, just spammed timed finesse shots. He had 8 shots on target, 7 goals because timed finishing is just broken. These were all timed finishes:

thats absolutely disgusting
    defending your box is punished as you can just spam and pray for a goal with the finesse shots
  • Zv1k0
    Last year's low driven

"how can anyone say low drivens were worse"

You said it yourself:

"alternatively let your AI deal with the dribble"

You didn't have the alternative last year. Ping pong passing was even more OP and low drivens went through everyone's legs. There was no way to stop them. There is a way to stop finesse shots.
  • Mini_Miudo
    edited November 2018
    Zv1k0 wrote: »

"how can anyone say low drivens were worse"

You said it yourself:

"alternatively let your AI deal with the dribble"

You didn't have the alternative last year. Ping pong passing was even more OP and low drivens went through everyone's legs. There was no way to stop them. There is a way to stop finesse shots.

You could still let the AI defend dribbles easily last year, that's not new. AI defending has been absurd ever since FIFA17. FIFA18 was ❤️❤️❤️❤️, but the low driven was not the problem, the problem was passing, it was way too easy. You know what else is not new? Moving your keeper. You could move your keeper last year to stop low drivens if you so wished. Don't know why everyone and their dog's just doing it now. I'd much rather concede low drivens inside the box than 3 or more finesse shots from China in a single game...
  • Zv1k0
    Last year's low driven
    That's why I mentioned ping pong passing. You could do all the defensive work perfectly like this year and opponent would still get in for easy low driven. With blocks being so OP this year, you can't do that and moving your keeper inside the box is and always was very risky and low drivens were OP on first post and cross low driven so it would just be a guessing game if you moved your GK. Plus, you expected your petfectly positioned defender will block the shot anyway. But he didn't. From that far out in your vids, you have plenty of time to react and there's no risk of moving your keeper.
  • EisenErmin
    8218 posts League Winner
    Its really sad and at the same time showes how bad the Fifa games have gotten, that we see people arguing whats the worst thing EA implemented in their broken games, while everyone agrees that both the finess shot and the low driven are just plain stupid the way EA made them to be 90% goals.
  • Thefranchise92
    4209 posts National Call-Up
    Atleast u had to enter the box. Although low drivens are still op.
  • Mini_Miudo
    That's why I mentioned ping pong passing. You could do all the defensive work perfectly like this year and opponent would still get in for easy low driven. With blocks being so OP this year, you can't do that and moving your keeper inside the box is and always was very risky and low drivens were OP on first post and cross low driven so it would just be a guessing game if you moved your GK. Plus, you expected your petfectly positioned defender will block the shot anyway. But he didn't. From that far out in your vids, you have plenty of time to react and there's no risk of moving your keeper.

Why should a GK have to stand on his post to save shots from that far out? That premise is preposterous. And why should I have to focus on controlling my GK when my opponent has the ball nowhere near my goal? That's just dumb, I wanna focus on defending! If I wanna play as a GK, I'll play GK on pro clubs... Not to mention blocks are way worse now, my defenders seem to run away from the ball instead of jumping in front of it so timed finesse is even more broken.
  • Zv1k0
    Last year's low driven

Why should a GK have to stand on his post to save shots from that far out? That premise is preposterous. And why should I have to focus on controlling my GK when my opponent has the ball nowhere near my goal? That's just dumb, I wanna focus on defending! If I wanna play as a GK, I'll play GK on pro clubs... Not to mention blocks are way worse now, my defenders seem to run away from the ball instead of jumping in front of it so timed finesse is even more broken.

Agree completely but that's just in general not comparing to low drivens. Can't say how it is right now with blocks though, haven't played a game yet since patch.