FUT Server Network (Techies get ITT)

dabeags
415 posts Sunday League Hero
Looking to have a technical discussion here about this...

So I know a little bit already about the FUT Server network, such as they are hosted via Rackspace, likely not even on EA owned hardware, but just as PaaS. Beyond that, what really interests me is how they choose what server to connect you to for game play.

Do they use BGP Anycast? Is there a DNS lookup that does GSLB to a location near you? Has anyone ever done a packet capture on their PS/Xbox to see the traffic flow and DNS lookups that are happening? Are the servers different for WL than for Rivals? I plan on doing some work on this soon if someone hasn't already done it as it's really the main piece of info I need.

Payoff would be once I have this info I could at minimum develop a guide to forcing your connection to the closest geographical servers.

Found this post on Reddit that gives lots of good info, but I'd like to take it a step further as it seems he never gave out a way

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5mqa8k/ocfut_weekend_league_ea_server_analysis_why_wl/

I have found people talking about using utas.fut.ea.com, but that always sends me over to the UK which I hope is wrong as I am in middle america and in general don't have terrible lag/game play at odd hours so I know I am connecting to closer servers.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I know Rackspace is a major player in the cloud computing world, why they aren't with AWS though is beyond me.

It would be interesting to see where the data centres are across the world that these servers are hosted
  • dabeags
    415 posts Sunday League Hero
    john_d_efc wrote: »
    I know Rackspace is a major player in the cloud computing world, why they aren't with AWS though is beyond me.

It would be interesting to see where the data centres are across the world that these servers are hosted

Rackspace has multiple round the globe. If I’m EA, at a bare minimum, I have two PoPs in the States, one set on each coast. One in London, one in Germany, one in APAC(Honk Kong/Singapore/Tokyo), and one in Sydney.

Obviously they know exactly how many players are coming from each region so they can scale each PoP accordingly.

As to Rackspace/AWS, IMO it doesn’t matter, but EA is most likely using Rackspace as they are HQ’d in the same city so have a relationship.