Check out the pitch notes for an update on upcoming content here.

The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

Which player do you control when defending?

HektorOvTroy
1637 posts Play-Off Hero
I am more of a manual defender which is great if the AI is ever patched but not so great at present.

Who do you use to defend if you let the ai do it?

If the meta is to control just a midfielder, would it be best to control the worst defender and let the ai control my cdm?

I feel too passive letting the ai defend but I'd like to at least see what the difference is...

Comments

• sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2018
    Usually panic like mad and end up with CB’s miles out of position.

I try to defend manually rather than AI and charge around with a CDM though. I’m sure I’d get an extra 2/3 wins a WL if I could defend better.
  • Hoopsterz
    2081 posts Fans' Favourite
    I always control one of my CB's in the middle or my RB/LB when down the wings.

I honestly don't know how people can let the AI do the main bulk of defending. I tried it but all they do is block and you never get the ball back.
  • McLaughlan_26
    483 posts Sunday League Hero
    My CB's, otherwise they just seem to walk slowly back instead of running and any through ball goes past them
  • tilen11
    5874 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2018
    Never defended using the AI. Always switch to the player closest to the ball and press. I also change the position of my other players using the right stick to defend passing lanes.

I also mostly defend with defenders. You have to predict what your opponent will do but mostly they will do what you would do so it isnt that hard. I have zero problems defending with defenders and manually. Sure sometimes I mess up big time but that is how its supposed to be.
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    Usually select a CDM , but all depends on where the ball position is etc.

It drives me crazy when you have control of a defender and your midfielders are just walking back when your opponent is braking on you.
  • HektorOvTroy
    1637 posts Play-Off Hero
    So far we all do the same.

Where are all these people who use the ai? 😂
  • ICUP
    4229 posts National Call-Up
    I control whoever is nearest to the ball and only ever touch my defenders when opposition is in line with my 16 yard box or when I am being countered and they are the last line of defence
  • MHoney1234
    9986 posts Has That Special Something
    CDM, or drag in a full back. Never bring the CB out of position unless it’s a 100% clean
  • Pewdiepie
    401 posts Sunday League Hero
    The guy with the most aggression cb/cdm at the time. And I always stick a cb out to bait a pass and back up to intercept. And I slide tackle very often. Im surprised of how many ppl im up against forget about it. Especially on the wings where its easier.
  • DailyTrader
    2143 posts Fans' Favourite
    90% cdm. Sometimes my cb.
  • 3MenandaBebe
    3066 posts National Call-Up
    generally a CDM or LB/RB. Keep Centre backs in position, the moment they move, if you don't get the ball, you give a chance to your opponent.
  • tilen11
    So far we all do the same.

You actually believe someone will come forth and say he is using AI to defend for him? Nah.
  • So far we all do the same.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 99% of the players I go against let the AI defend yet on this forum everyone defends manually.

We are, as Mouringo would say, the special ones.
  • tilen11
    Pewdiepie wrote: »
    The guy with the most aggression cb/cdm at the time. And I always stick a cb out to bait a pass and back up to intercept. And I slide tackle very often. Im surprised of how many ppl im up against forget about it. Especially on the wings where its easier.

Pushing a CB bit further to make your opponent pass is also a great technique. Constantly doing it and it works very well.
  • LazyFIFA
    505 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I tend to mix it up without meaning too, as I know this game is all about controlling the CDM and letting the AI defend but I revert back to my old ways too often and control the CB. FML.
  • tilen11
    LazyFIFA wrote: »
    I tend to mix it up without meaning too, as I know this game is all about controlling the CDM and letting the AI defend but I revert back to my old ways too often and control the CB. FML.

And thats what you should do.
  • LazyFIFA
    505 posts An Exciting Prospect
    tilen11 wrote: »

I honestly cannot wait for some nerf to the AI defending, all those who run with their CDM will get a surprise and I can finally be happy with playing this game.
  • HektorOvTroy
    1637 posts Play-Off Hero
    sheffutd87 wrote: »
    Usually panic like mad and end up with CB’s miles out of position.

I try to defend manually rather than AI and charge around with a CDM though. I’m sure I’d get an extra 2/3 wins a WL if I could defend better.

Last night. Last game I could play to get gold 3 (terrible start) I was button smashing like made in added time. Haha.
  • tilen11

I honestly cannot wait for some nerf to the AI defending, all those who run with their CDM will get a surprise and I can finally be happy with playing this game.

They wont make any more changes, No patch can save this game hence why I almost dont play this game anymore (around 5 games a week for the sake of my RTG)
  • DutyHarry
    5253 posts Big Money Move

If EA did that I could buy FP for the first time in my life no joke, for me AI defending ruins this game, worse than bad servers.