Virgin media disconnections

Davey Sprockett
4366 posts National Call-Up
Anyone else had problems in the London area the last couple of days?

Seems to connect for a few minutes then drop out for ages. Using ether net cable, so not a wireless problem.

This is a common occurrence, not too frequent, and works fine 95% of the time, but it seems that when it goes ❤️❤️❤️❤️ up, it doesn't do it in half measures.

Usually just have to wait it out, until it comes back, ringing them just results in them telling me to do everything I've done multiple times already.

Gah.... Only halfway to Tah and wanted to get a session in this evening.

Comments

• Ranntheman
    304 posts Sunday League Hero
    Mate the London cable network is not so good. Switch ISP. Trust me.
  • Davey Sprockett
    edited November 2018
    Ranntheman wrote: »
    Mate the London cable network is not so good. Switch ISP. Trust me.

Any suggestions for a better company, I'm fully ready to switch, always seems to go out when youe really fancy a night in.

Been with them since it was Blue Yonder, and they don't even seem to recognise customer loyalty.
  • Ranntheman
    BT or Sky @Davey Sprockett
  • Shaqiri
    1393 posts Professional
    Had problems in Newcastle with them
  • Davey Sprockett

@Ranntheman

Cheers mate, they were the two I was considering to be honest, Sky seems like the obvious choice to me.
  • Ranntheman
    edited November 2018
    Both use the same network so no real difference. @Davey Sprockett

Funny coincidence Sky marketing just phoned me tonight and sold me a new iPhone - I usually just tell those sales guys no thanks but just so happened I needed a new phone - delivery in 2 days.

Good luck with switching don’t let VM retention people talk you out of it no matter which deal they offer. Your online games are about to be much better.

VM is fantastic in some Uk cities-Glasgow,Newcastle,Sunderland, Belfast and Cardiff have best internet in the uk with them. Unfortunately London is a bit pants.
  • Sercs
    22082 posts Club Captain
    Get BT, sky taper connection speed at busy times. BT don’t

Virgin have great download speeds but line stability which is most important for online gaming is really really hit and miss. See so many on here have problems, I had issues couple years back, BT is slower but then if I game takes 10 hours rather than 5 hours I don’t care if it means I don’t get disconnects and bad lag
  • Drizzt
    509 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just got VM on Friday and just left Sky after 6 years. So far £5 quid cheaper, 3 times faster however... Since Ftiday, 3 compete drop outs for a min or so but always in a match!!!!

It could be the settling in period but no lag playing games just the annoying drop outs.

Yorkshire here and the cable was layed last month or so and I'm the first in the street.

Will monitor and still have a week to cancel.

Sky is out as well as Sky Q ( none is worth the cost) and I wouldn't go back to sky broadband or BT TBH. Both have poor service and when 6pm comes round, you can really feel the drop in speed.
  • Ranntheman
    edited November 2018
    Cable network amplifier power supplies fail a lot. Most people suffer 2-3 outages a year (in a good area)
    Been on BT or Sky since 2006 had one outage in those 12years-yes it is slower than cable however your ping times will always be good.

Living in London you might be able to get fibre to the home with BT by now-worth asking or checking @Davey Sprockett

@Drizzt if you are experiencing drops outs that is caused by Network noise-notice I did not mention your area for VM- network noise in cable terms is pure poison for gamers. Cable does not need a settling in period like adsl type lines sorry to break the bad news 😬.

EDIT Just noticed you said it is new cabled area-you might be lucky and the ring may not have been balanced yet. The noise floor could get fixed if the techs in the area are good.
  • Greedy_Marco
    670 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’ve always had hot and cold experience with them.

But, that is until I moved last year from a busy residential area to a road alongside Selhurst Park. My connection became near perfect and better than I’ve ever seen an internet perform.

I’ve moved again recently and now my internet has gone back to being unreliable.
    I don’t think it’s virgin media but just the location you live at.

That’s my experience anyway.
  • Ranntheman
    The more utilised the cable network is the more chance of a loose connection causing a high noise floor. 1 loose connection in someone’s house can ruin the network for every other person on a cable ring if not fixed. @Greedy_Marco
  • Greedy_Marco
    670 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The more utilised the cable network is the more chance of a loose connection causing a high noise floor. 1 loose connection in someone’s house can ruin the network for every other person on a cable ring if not fixed. @Greedy_Marco

How do I go about getting it fixed? Do ISP check these things if you report it?
  • Ranntheman
    If they can find the issue or in some cases issues. If your in London you have no chance so don’t waste your breath. @Greedy_Marco
  • BrentfordFC
    13514 posts Has That Special Something
    Plus net are pretty reliable