Passing around the back

Is passing the ball around the back with a few minutes to go when you have a one goal lead acceptable or completely against the spirit of the game? I have never done it and I hate it with a passion, it drives me mad.

Comments

• Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's the sensible thing to do ...

but depends on the situation as well
  • JSteward1
    372 posts Sunday League Hero
    How many minutes we talking?
  • JSteward1 wrote: »

Last one he started at 85th min which was doubly annoying 😂
  • JSteward1
    372 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2018
    Safk001 wrote: »
    JSteward1 wrote: »

Last one he started at 85th min which was doubly annoying 😂

I'd say 5 mins wasn't that bad, i've had someone do it for a full 45 mins before and they was losing :joy::joy:
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    In narrow games I use dynamic tactics to change to a possession 4231 and keep the ball for the last five or so minutes, sure.

I don't do it in my own defence though, far too dangerous. I've scored a couple recently where idiots have been trying to keep the ball between their defenders and I've stolen it and scored late equalisers. Oh how I laughed.

I go and play possession in their half so if they steal it I can still get bodies back. Hold it up in the corners, win free kicks and throw ons, take them short, etc.

You can call it cheap if you like but it's just how real football is played.
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Acceptable. For me it's depends on a lot whether it will annoy me.

Like if someone has played without AI defending and constant pressure, they skip replays etc and they pass round the back at 1-0 in the 85th, that's fine.

But on FIFA 18 I had one idiot pass round the back from like the 15th minute, and no, he wasn't winning. It was that objective where we had to score two goals with MLS players. I went 1-0 with a goal from Martinez so he passed it round the back for most of the game lol.
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class
    edited November 2018
    Makes sense to manage the clock using the best option to do so. Personally I'd take playing into the corner over passing round the back so I've distance between the ball and my goal if it goes wrong.
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite
    Somtimes I'll pass it around with 5 minutes to go taking much less risks, but I think thats a sensible thing to do and it's also done in real life. Passing it around the back only is frustrating though and I avoid that
  • ICUP
    4292 posts National Call-Up
    DR I personally feel you should just play the game without having to resort to such tactics.

WL everything goes no matter what, if you wanna score in the 10th minute and then PTB pass around the back then do it.
  • iggypop
    601 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I hold triangle to bring the keeper out, most the times the will panic and try n shoot or something and I will gain possession
  • Considering how many goals seemed to be scored around that time, I don't blame people.

That is a valid point.
  • Noo
    1036 posts Professional
    Make sure you have 424 with constant pressure as one of your tactics. Brilliant counter to this
  • ICUP
    4292 posts National Call-Up
    iggypop wrote: »
    I hold triangle to bring the keeper out, most the times the will panic and try n shoot or something and I will gain possession

I do that but when they shoot, if I am holding triangle at the time they shoot my keeper seems to dive under the ball or just doesn't dive.

Gotta hold it and then release it for him to make the save
  • TheDinhoKid10
    1319 posts Play-Off Hero
    Never done it. I can keep possession in the midfield fine and throught the game. I average around 60% posession anyways with my play style. I’m also not a pu**y and attack the whole game even when i’m up. I only hold the ball when my opponent is AFK. No replays. No time wasting. No Celies. Just playing. If you have to hold the ball at the back then you know deep down you really didnt deserve that W. You can say its smart and whatever but theres no need to make excuses for being Timid
  • NW86
    31 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I generally don't like it. Would only do so against a player that has annoyed me.

Sometimes I do act like I'm going to pass it around in the back just to draw the opponent out and then when the opponent thinks I'm gonna pass back or wide again I try the through ball and go for another goal again since there'll be a lot of space. I'm not a fan of just passing the ball around for the sake of it, it's boring, cowardly and if the opponent starts applying pressure most of the time it doesn't end well anyway if you only try to pass it around instead of trying to pass towards scoring a goal.
  • bigpokey24
    4865 posts Big Money Move
    Is passing the ball around the back with a few minutes to go when you have a one goal lead acceptable or completely against the spirit of the game? I have never done it and I hate it with a passion, it drives me mad.

so lets get this straight, you are chasing a game and you want the opponent to give you the ball so you can win or score.. seriously are you for real?
  • limjitwe
    8029 posts League Winner
    I pass around nearer to my opponent corner flag if I’m like up 2-1 or 1-0 etc... Too many 90th min rubbish.

If it was a tough game. Normally I’ll message my opponent GG and apologise.
  • bigpokey24
    4865 posts Big Money Move
    some of you guys are funny , in fact pretty much boarder line pathetic. You want your opponent to play to your satisfaction or the way you assume the game should be .. My goodness another entitlement BS . Get a hold of yourselves, figure out how to overcome such , instead of being a member of the whining Boys FC
  • TheTataGuy
    3883 posts National Call-Up
    As soon as somebody starts passing it around the back and/or keeps it near the corner flag, i put my controller down and go do something else. Its a game, if the virtual coins/wins you get means so much to my opponent, then ill give it to your virgin booty, here enjoy your virtual win!
  • Rulistening
    1953 posts Play-Off Hero
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    some of you guys are funny , in fact pretty much boarder line pathetic. You want your opponent to play to your satisfaction or the way you assume the game should be .. My goodness another entitlement BS . Get a hold of yourselves, figure out how to overcome such , instead of being a member of the whining Boys FC
    How can you call other people entitled, and then moan about what they decide to do, making you entitled?

Nice.
  • McLaughlan_26
    483 posts Sunday League Hero
    If I'm ahead by one goal in weekend league and need the wins, now I'll hold the ball from the 88th minute. Had to many draws/lossed from where I've given the ball away and got countered at that time
  • Dronegan
    1123 posts Professional
    Its the normal thing to do, and a lot of people do it.

And i can honestly say that i have gotten the ball and scored a few times.
    This year it is alot easier to pressure higher and get the ball which wasnt really possible in Fifa18 .

You should have a high pressure formation to switch to. 433 variations seem to work best for me at least.
    3 upfront that can pressure and a 3 man midfield that can win the ball when the panic pass/clearence happens.

• Aspral
    3796 posts National Call-Up
    I don't get mad if they do it with minutes to go. In the 50th minute though..
  • AULERT
    752 posts Semi-Pro
    Admittedly I’ve done it a few times & actually a few times I’ve ended up conceding because of this. I’d suggest keeping the ball in the other half, but just not risking any passes.
  • Gainzy
    1154 posts Professional
    It’s horrendous but we all do it. There is no better feeling in fifa than scoring a last minute equaliser to take it to extra time and then dabbing on him with the winner when he’s been passing round the back from the 65th minute.
  • Boerieboys
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    I barely do it but mostly get punished for not doing it by a 90+2 Gabriel Jesus heading equalizer.
  • Safk001
    866 posts Semi-Pro

so lets get this straight, you are chasing a game and you want the opponent to give you the ball so you can win or score.. seriously are you for real?

No, and kind of strange how you got to that conclusion from my initial post.
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite

ffs do people even read before commenting on these forums
  • Safk001
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    Ryanomates wrote: »

ffs do people even read before commenting on these forums

😂 spot on.