4-3-1-2 - Another Guide That works for me. . .and I'm not good.

Absting159
6682 posts Moderator
Similar to my 4-2-3-1 (2) guide this one plays VERY similar in defense. The tactics are CLOSE to the same, but I've widened it just a little.

In the 4-2-3-1 (2) I was getting beat out wide far too often because with the width set to 3 for both attack and defense, when the through ball played, the LB and RB played inward toward the box vs. attacking the winger whose clear into space.

Also, we're adapting the CM's to have the LCM and RCM play as CDM's with the "Stay Back . . ." instruction. Now adding in a CCM - I feel as if I'm getting more interceptions and breaking up play more. Those are the two things that were killing me defensively.

Just another mini-guide to spark convo and see if this helps anyone!

LST (Zola) - Stay Central / Get In Behind
RST (Lewa) - Stay Central
CAM (Baggio) - Stay Forward / Free Roam
LCM (Kondogbia) - Stay Back While Attacking
CCM (Kroos) - Get Forward / Stay On Edge Of Box For Cross / Cover Center
RCM (Goretzka) - Stay Back While Attacking
LB/RB - Overlap (I do this so they don't even TRY to play inwards vs. staying outside) This in combo with the wider setting I'm not getting beat on wide through balls!

With the RCM & LCM on "Stay Back . . ." we're creating that same type of defense and solidity we had with the 4-2-3-1 (2). But now with the added CCM running around, I feel like I'm intercepting ALOT more balls.

czuqUjIm.jpg
EALeBUwm.jpg

Comments

• Pikachu
    8631 posts League Winner
    Nice write-up.
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    @Pikachu NP! Hope it helps. I'm 6-1 in Rivals with it and over the past 3 days I wasn't fairing all too well. A little change up seems to be working for now.
  • Pikachu
    8631 posts League Winner
    I play 41212 so I could switch to this, not sure if it’ll be better having 3 CMs OR 2 CMs and a CDM.
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    Pikachu wrote: »
    I play 41212 so I could switch to this, not sure if it’ll be better having 3 CMs OR 2 CMs and a CDM.

@Pikachu My other guide is for the 4-2-3-1 (2) which relies heavily on 2 CDM's to help breakup play. For me, I like the solidity of having 2 more defensive guys (I know this is all CM's but I feel like they actually stay back as the instructions suggest).
  • Pauldejong6
    6720 posts Big Money Move
    Youre a champ with posts like this. Im liking 4231(2) the most still though, but maybe i should give this a try
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thank you for your valuable posts , however i got gold 3 during champions because of your tactics and formation 4231 lm rm , however since 2 days back im not winning in rivals, any suggession please?
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31679 posts National Team Captain
    I'm sure having Baggio helps :trollface:
  • RadioShaq
    14895 posts Moderator
    These are nice guides. Reminded me of the old formation guides that help so many.
  • HeroBent
    4591 posts National Call-Up
    I am using this formation. Nice writeup this.

Have had some issues with the lcm and cam swapping positions. This happened with 41212 in 18, but not 4312. Anyone else have this issue?
  • krakos000
    17452 posts World Class
    HeroBent wrote: »

Have had some issues with the lcm and cam swapping positions. This happened with 41212 in 18, but not 4312. Anyone else have this issue?

Ugh this happens this year now too? :/
  • HeroBent
    4591 posts National Call-Up
    krakos000 wrote: »

Yup. See it in both 41212 and 4312 this year.
  • krakos000
    17452 posts World Class
    krakos000 wrote: »

Yup. See it in both 41212 and 4312 this year.

Disappointing:( something else EA wont fix
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    @sami sinno dude this formation is what got me out of the slump. Gamestyle is exactly the same play control!! Having two STs might help you!!
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    Absting159 wrote: »
    @sami sinno dude this formation is what got me out of the slump. Gamestyle is exactly the same play control!! Having two STs might help you!!

But without 2 cdms ,you will coincede more goals

Any solution i can try with 4312?

• realhokies
    504 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I find the Stay Back While Attacking on two CMs to highly hinder one's ability to maintain possession going forward thus leading to more turnovers leading to more defensive style play. I'd say leave all on Balanced or the Center CM to stay back.
  • Nivaze
    2319 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gave your tactics a shot and it really improved my attacking play, might be the formation as I really like the 2 strikers and CAM close behind them. I still struggle on the defence tho and I feel like I’m not using the fullbacks properly on attack so it’s a waste to put them on overlap.

Will tweak around with the tactics a little bit but thanks for sharing your tactics I feel like I finally found a formation I can can get on with!
  • realhokies
    Nivaze wrote: »
    Gave your tactics a shot and it really improved my attacking play, might be the formation as I really like the 2 strikers and CAM close behind them. I still struggle on the defence tho and I feel like I’m not using the fullbacks properly on attack so it’s a waste to put them on overlap.

Will tweak around with the tactics a little bit but thanks for sharing your tactics I feel like I finally found a formation I can can get on with!

Don't use fullbacks in attacking this year. It's less than ideal.
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    @realhokies @sami sinno

I’m finding stay back while attacking works very well to “convert” two of the three CMs to play deeper like a CDM. Then add in another midfielder, it’s working well for me. This is why I’m trying this. I don’t like not having 2 CDM like players helping in defense.

I seem to attack much better with this formation. Like Nivaze says. @Nivaze I like the 2 ST so far. For me it’s the combo of one pacy and the other a Target man. Then a good CAM behind.
  • realhokies
    @realhokies @sami sinno

I’m finding stay back while attacking works very well to “convert” two of the three CMs to play deeper like a CDM. Then add in another midfielder, it’s working well for me. This is why I’m trying this. I don’t like not having 2 CDM like players helping in defense.

I seem to attack much better with this formation. Like Nivaze says. @Nivaze I like the 2 ST so far. For me it’s the combo of one pacy and the other a Target man. Then a good CAM behind.

I was more alluding to their runs moving forward when you are transitioning after a possession change.
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    Ahhh. I got you. I tend to avoid Goretzka and Kondogbia in the attack. Kroos is ok but “on the ball” I’m mostly using Zola and Baggio for quick turns.

If I play the ball backwards to either of the “CDMs” it’s only for a quick pass.

And for fullbacks, I think this year it has to be someone like Marcelo. Kimmich/Rafinha never seems to do anything but Marcelo is often sitting wide when I hold possession giving me the width for some crosses.

I will initiate their runs when I need them with RB or LB...a quick tap and they’ll wave and make a run haha.
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    @realhokies @sami sinno

So shall i try 4312? Dont you think that by this formation your limiting yourself somehow?
    Because the crossing in fifa 19 are ao effective, and playing without rw/rm and lw/lm will limit your game style.

In other words, if you focus on playing in the middle, then the opponent will simply defend the middle area and your gone.

• Nivaze
    sami sinno wrote: »
    @realhokies @sami sinno

So shall i try 4312? Dont you think that by this formation your limiting yourself somehow?
    Because the crossing in fifa 19 are ao effective, and playing without rw/rm and lw/lm will limit your game style.

In other words, if you focus on playing in the middle, then the opponent will simply defend the middle area and your gone.

I’ve never been much of a crosser so I don’t get on with wide formations. You could put your smaller faster striker on GIB and drift wide to send in crosses to the target man. I currently play Mertens LST Belotti RST and Gomez behind them and Mertens is banging in goals with his great finesse.

I use fast passing and skill moves so it’s easier to create chances for me like this. I really recommend to try this formation.
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    @sami sinno

Don’t let your formation dictate your play. Your strikers in narrow formations WILL make runs on the wing. If you only play to the middle you make it easy to defend. Change it up. Trigger the LB and RB occasionally. Hot the ST on a wide threaded through ball and cross it.

You just need to be flexible. If you just try to do the same thing over and it’s not working, adapt and change the tactics.

All this will it won’t it works depends entirely on your opponents formation too. That’s the huge advantage of the tactics and formations on the fly. I’m not great at yet but trying to learn what formations counter other formations.

But to the OP, I just played this formation and tactic straight up and did quite well. It gave me a good amount of variation in my attack!
  • Nivaze
    I tried a few games with Mertens on Drift wide and GIB and because of his runs he opens so much space for the CAM and other striker. I also put defence on balanced with the same CTs as above and my LCM and CCM on stay back and my RCM on get forward.

Working great so far altho my team is pretty **** atm so it’s more of a test for now.
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    @sami sinno

Don’t let your formation dictate your play. Your strikers in narrow formations WILL make runs on the wing. If you only play to the middle you make it easy to defend. Change it up. Trigger the LB and RB occasionally. Hot the ST on a wide threaded through ball and cross it.

You just need to be flexible. If you just try to do the same thing over and it’s not working, adapt and change the tactics.

All this will it won’t it works depends entirely on your opponents formation too. That’s the huge advantage of the tactics and formations on the fly. I’m not great at yet but trying to learn what formations counter other formations.

But to the OP, I just played this formation and tactic straight up and did quite well. It gave me a good amount of variation in my attack!

So i should try 4312 ? If u were bale how you play him?
  • Absting159
    6682 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    RF and play at ST? 7 chem is fine. I’m forcing Lewa into a team. Having icons makes it easier. I packed him and he’s untradeable so I absolutely will force him in. Lol.

You gotta do some thinking to figure out how to use your best players and get them into a squad but bale is one you must use if you have him.
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    RF and play at ST? 7 chem is fine. I’m forcing Lewa into a team. Having icons makes it easier. I packed him and he’s untradeable so I absolutely will force him in. Lol.

You gotta do some thinking to figure out how to use your best players and get them into a squad but bale is one you must use if you have him.

Actually im using him as an st but as a substitute for vardy, im feeling sorry to keep 400k player benched
  • sami sinno
    1089 posts Play-Off Hero
    Plz advise me
  • Whoman
    5306 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    Dude, no offense but ... He's laying out a blueprint/suggestion to try, nobody can know if it will work better for you than whatever you have been doing before. Just try it and see if you like it or not ... It's a game, not a live-or-die thing where you can never be wrong.
  • krakos000
    17452 posts World Class
    edited October 2018
    Wow I just tried this with slightly different instructions and I was up 4-0 by the half lol. I felt like I had awesome control in the midfield and having a midfield of Matuidi Modric and Nain isnt fair. Nothing but interceptions lol. Also Perisic and Nedved up top with dybala at cam is fun too. I hope it stays like this cause it felt like a whole new way of playing. I was able to keep possession fairly easily even though the form is narrow

Stats at the end of the game
    75tGe6I.jpg

Nain got 2 assists and Nedved got a hat trick the beautiful man. I kept my strikers on stay forward but mixed so they can drift out wide if they want. No free roam on the cam since I dont want him swapping with Matuidi etc.