The NFL Lounge

Comments

• Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    edited April 21
    Love draft week as well. It's always good fun. Intrigued to see how the EA walkon draft feature will look. Guess that's almost certainly going to be in Madden 21.

I agree about Burrow though. I'm not expecting much from him. Tua Tagovailoa is probably the best QB in the draft on talent. Shame about his injury record though.

I'm not entirely sure what we'll do. I'm thinking it'll either someone for the OL or a WR at 8. Whilst an OL makes the most sense, Kliff does love 4 WR plays and I'd love to watch Kyler throwing to Fitz, Hopkins, Kirk and Lamb. Kyler and Lamb were great together at college.

I'm hoping Jeff Okudah somehow falls to 8 (the NFL Network mock draft at the weekend was the first time I've seen it happen) although I doubt it will happen.

I wouldn't be opposed to us trading down. Don't think it's likely but if Tua is still available at 8 then some teams light want to jump above the Jags. Buccs trading their 1st (14) and 2nd (45) is a fair trade according to the points grid. Atlanta offering their 1st (16) and 2nd (47) is also a fair trade.

Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    3 months of hard preseason in multiple storms and hammering at the gym and learning the play book
    And looks like my first ever Britball American Football season might not be happening
    International Player Pathway dream is in tatters :'(

Gutted to hear this. :(

Was looking forward to using you on Madden 24.
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    The new chargers uniforms are amazing.

• RadioShaq
    15973 posts Moderator
    Browns uniform looks about the same. Guess they just removed Cleveland from the jersey.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Gronk to the Bucs
    Scenes
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Gronk to the Bucs
    Scenes

Seems a fair trade. I’m not expecting much from Gronk.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Alastair wrote: »
    3 months of hard preseason in multiple storms and hammering at the gym and learning the play book
    And looks like my first ever Britball American Football season might not be happening

Ahhh I’m sort of over it now it’s annoying but what can you do
    Just desperately training in my garage and doing whatever I can to make sure that I can go crazy when they finally let me out there
    Hope everything’s all good with you what with your line of work
  • RadioShaq
    15973 posts Moderator
    If Gronk and Brady lose it will make it look like the patriots system carried them even though they are older now.
  • cmm_1991
    2136 posts Fans' Favourite
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    If Gronk and Brady lose it will make it look like the patriots system carried them even though they are older now.

Not an IF , personally i think its a WHEN they lose it
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator

Just desperately training in my garage and doing whatever I can to make sure that I can go crazy when they finally let me out there

What position did you say you were again? Can you do much training other than gym work?

Yeah, it's manageable so far luckily. Hopefully it stays this way.
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Happy Greatest Day of the Season. :)
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class

What position did you say you were again? Can you do much training other than gym work?

WR
    Got a punchbag which I’m using as a dummy to practice my blocking footwork as it’s all still new to me
    Got a speed ladder for other footwork and also able to practice general footwork stuff like making sure when I cut or do double movements that I’m landing my feet at the perfect angles and lining my chest up on the right way to stitch up the defender
    Unfortunately all of this means I’m going to get about 4 yards separation then drop the bloody thing because I can’t practice catching :joy:
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Ok final predictions or at least potential calls for stuff that hasn’t been predicted much or at all that the drafts might have wrong
    1. Jordan Love is the third QB off the board
    2. If Young is off the board and the Giants pick at 4 we could take Brown or Jeudy
    3. One of the Falcons or Jags is trading in to the top 3 for a QB
    4. Falcons go QB in round 1 whatever
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator

WR
    Got a punchbag which I’m using as a dummy to practice my blocking footwork as it’s all still new to me
    Got a speed ladder for other footwork and also able to practice general footwork stuff like making sure when I cut or do double movements that I’m landing my feet at the perfect angles and lining my chest up on the right way to stitch up the defender
    Unfortunately all of this means I’m going to get about 4 yards separation then drop the bloody thing because I can’t practice catching :joy:

Ah you can get a fair bit of practice in then.

A bit annoying you can’t do catching practice though. Hard to do that indoors. :joy:
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    So many adverts...
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Happy for Burrows. Seems a genuinely nice guy.

6th round pick in the mock drafts a year ago to number 1 overall pick now.
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Didn’t expect that pick at all @Hicksy2011. You happy?

It’s amazing for us as we’ll get Simmons or one of the top 2 OLs.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Fairly happy with that he’s meant to be fairly pro ready
    The last thing we need is Jones and Barkley getting battered for another year because we’ve brought in a raw super athlete
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Ah that’s a fair point. You can’t really afford another year of weakness.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Oh this is so dull this is 80% of the mock drafts I saw today
    Where’s the drama
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Simmons!!!

Never expected I’d to get a player that good at 8.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Very nice that pick
    Starting to head in to some slightly murkier waters now where people aren’t quite so sure what’s going to happen and hopefully some trades too
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    I wonder if one or twice if the teams with no first round picks could trade up with Miami/Jags.

Titans have 34 and 44 they could offer.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    49ers aggressively shopping 13 apparently I think it’s going to go
    They don’t have anything between pick 31 and the fourth round
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    edited April 24
    He weighs 25 stone 13 pound and has a 5.1 40? :D
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    So now the dust has settled, what’s everyone’s post-draft thoughts?
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Happy with ours
    Could have been so easy to go chasing mid or late round pass rushers when that’s our weakness but we already have plenty of mediocre players, don’t need to add more
    O-line finally got some treatment which is lovely
    Gettleman may well get fired come the end of the season but there is no doubting he’s put the building blocks in place for a good future
  • james2060
    2951 posts Fans' Favourite
    Alright fellas, been a while. Hope y'all keeping well.

That was a fun week, months of reading mock drafts, listening to podcasts and watching tape reviews and it's all over like that. Pretty happy with how we drafted, first three picks I'm very pleased with. Disappointed we didn't go earlier on Oline, but when you go 2-14 you've got more needs than one draft can fix and it's almost serviceable if it takes a step.
    Interested to see why you guys aren't so hot on Burrow. I'm not expecting him to be the next Brees or Brady like some have suggested, but he'll be better than Dalton at his best and hopefully gives us a playoff win. I think if we can get to 5-6 wins this season then make a playoff push the following season with another year of roster improvements in between.

@Alistair I think your boys had a banging draft personally, not sure what Jones did to fall to round 3 but you should be confident of a winning season.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    I’d have drafted Burrow in the second round
    I just think someone who struggled to beat out Haskins, who is the top end of the age bracket for coming in to the league and has only really balled out one season is a massive risk at #1
    Especially for someone that isn’t screaming in your face talented like Mahomes was
    You just don’t know how much his performance was down simply to confidence and being apart of such a loaded team
    That’s what I would be incorporating in to my grading anyway
    Also most Super Bowls are won by genuine superstar QBs so I’d rather take a chance on a guy like Love who has the upside of being crazy crazy talented but has a very real chance of ending up in the CFL compared to Burrow who has a much higher floor but imo lower ceiling
  • Fifapayne
    2150 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 30
    I just think someone who struggled to beat out Haskins, who is the top end of the age bracket for coming in to the league and has only really balled out one season is a massive risk at #1
    Especially for someone that isn’t screaming in your face talented like Mahomes was
    You just don’t know how much his performance was down simply to confidence and being apart of such a loaded team
    Also most Super Bowls are won by genuine superstar QBs so I’d rather take a chance on a guy like Love who has the upside of being crazy crazy talented but has a very real chance of ending up in the CFL compared to Burrow who has a much higher floor but imo lower ceiling

Mahomes played college at Texas tech in a conference that doesn’t play defense.( and his stats were decent)
    Burrows did better against a conference that is stacked in defensive abilities.
  • Hicksy2011
    16381 posts World Class
    Fifapayne wrote: »

Mahomes played college at Texas tech in a conference that doesn’t play defense.( and his stats were decent)
    Burrows did better against a conference that is stacked in defensive abilities.

yeh I was drunk I dont think I explained that very well
    I just meant that I would like either consistency of production throughout college or just a stupidly high ceiling with regards to ability to make throws that I cant even imagine from a first rounder especially a top 5 pick