Icons - Are they worth it?

Safk001
866 posts Semi-Pro
edited October 2018
I was lucky enough to pack an Icon early game, I have just sold him and was looking to use the coins to better the midfield of my team (he was a defender)

As I’m looking through the transfer list I cannot understand what the benefit of buying For example Rui Costa 88 for 500k when for 370k I could get De Bruyne 91. The latter has a 5* weak foot as well.

So what is it about icons that make them worth the additional coins, do somehow their stats work well together to make them better than their rating or are they just poorer players at a higher cost because of bragging rights?

Comments

  • NathanBFC94
    599 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Prime Vieri has been a game changer for me but not sure i would invest so much in one for midfield and I certainly wouldn't spend big on an icon defender unless I had unlimited coins
  • jackm57
    2427 posts Fans' Favourite
    Only the top end ones.

    Baby Gattuso for example is a complete waste of coins
  • number7rocky
    5871 posts Big Money Move
    Icons play better than thier stats, alot of them anyway. They link to everyone which is the big bonus but most the "poor man's" icons aren't worth it, the cheap ones like inzaghi etc... The good ones and the elite ones however are totally worth it
  • MHoney1234
    10339 posts Has That Special Something
    I’ve tried about 10 and unlike Fifa 18 then didn’t feel much different, no icon magic. I reckon only the top tier icons will be worth it. Cruyff etc..
  • PabloSB
    261 posts Sunday League Hero
    There are of course exceptions, but in general, they feel different despite having similar stats than regular cards.

    Also, they are great for hybrids.
  • selb
    7208 posts Big Money Move
    jackm57 wrote: »
    Only the top end ones.

    Baby Gattuso for example is a complete waste of coins

    That's not entirely true, when you compare 85 Gattuso and Prime Gattuso they're practically the same and the 85 actually has more total and in game stats
  • VerdePride
    3240 posts National Call-Up
    selb wrote: »
    jackm57 wrote: »
    Only the top end ones.

    Baby Gattuso for example is a complete waste of coins

    That's not entirely true, when you compare 85 Gattuso and Prime Gattuso they're practically the same and the 85 actually has more total and in game stats

    This . base Larsson plays much better then his mid version and other ST icons . 85 Hernandez plays well above his ig stats
  • nj10
    2197 posts Fans' Favourite
    I had prime veron for 40 or so games before I sold him on.

    But he was top quality , worth the coins and gave me a strong link to ucl aguero
  • Safk001
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    The one thing I can think of that’s a benefit is the Icons hold their value where as gold cards, even De Bruyne and Pogba won’t.
  • MHoney1234
    10339 posts Has That Special Something
    Safk001 wrote: »
    The one thing I can think of that’s a benefit is the Icons hold their value where as gold cards, even De Bruyne and Pogba won’t.

    Pogba and KDB will hold. They’re marquee in demand players.
  • FifaKingPin
    255 posts Sunday League Hero
    Some are a joke. Look at deco baby. Useless.
  • Williejno1
    3111 posts National Call-Up
    Paid 2.2 mil for Pele and I think it’s well worth the coins
  • Safk001
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    Safk001 wrote: »
    The one thing I can think of that’s a benefit is the Icons hold their value where as gold cards, even De Bruyne and Pogba won’t.

    Pogba and KDB will hold. They’re marquee in demand players.

    They may hold until Christmas but generally they fall pretty sharp after that. I’m no expert though so you could be right.
Sign In or Register to comment.