What did EA get right in terms of gameplay?

dopetothemax
2015 posts Fans' Favourite
This is a genuine question. It seems like everything is broken. Shooting, passing, defending, corners, goalkeepers. The tactics are even glitchy and don’t work right at times. It’s all broken. I’m really struggling to think of something that they actually got right.

Comments

• Uberman
    15729 posts World Class
    Making FUT Champions 10 less painful matches. Can't think of anything else

I have to admit. The goalkeepers punching everything instead of catching is seriously **** me off now
  • Azof
    16370 posts World Class
    Not had any issues with custom tactics
  • Maverick
    4775 posts National Call-Up
    Uberman wrote: »
    Making FUT Champions 10 less painful matches. Can't think of anything else

I have to admit. The goalkeepers punching everything instead of catching is seriously **** me off now

• tikitaka33
    2284 posts Fans' Favourite
    There is a ball and two goalposts.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I enjoy the game personally.
  • Heshyooo
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    Hands down the most broken fifa, period. After the awful rewards I got for rank 1/gold 1 last night I've decided to call it a day. I just hope a respectable company can make a good football game one day. A game for the players and not for the shareholders
  • TTAZ
    1842 posts Play-Off Hero
    Lol out of all the positive things I have to say about FIFA 19, 0 of them are about pure gameplay
  • Knowlesdinho
    10131 posts Has That Special Something
    Where do I start?

Here’s what I think they got right:

* They fixed kick off goals once and for all!
    * Standing tackle is super effective, you really feel that sense of achievement when you tackle and instantly get the ball!
    * Nobody realised we needed timed finishing, but now it’s here, it’s awesome!
    * High pressure, a thing we never complain about, has been made even more effective, such a blessing.
    * My favourite is how good defenders are in this game. Mourinho could learn a thing or two about how to pack a defence from this game. It makes my goal feel safe!

So many good additions!
  • dopetothemax
    Azof wrote: »
    Not had any issues with custom tactics

I hadn’t had any issues this whole time too until the other day. I made a sub and swapped my striker to CM and once the match started back up players were all over the place. I always assumed people were doing it wrong when they complained since I had no issues but I finally witnessed it
  • dopetothemax
    Where do I start?

* Standing tackle is super effective, you really feel that sense of achievement when you tackle and instantly get the ball!
    * High pressure, a thing we never complain about, has been made even more effective, such a blessing.
    * My favourite is how good defenders are in this game. Mourinho could learn a thing or two about how to pack a defence from this game. It makes my goal feel safe!

So many good additions!

LMAOOO I totally forgot about all of these! This game is better than I thought
  • dopetothemax
    LeonidasJB wrote: »

Not taking shots or anything, but how good were you at last year’s game? I’m finding that people that struggled with last year’s game are enjoying this one which is why I ask. This year has a lot of mechanics that help out the players that aren’t as good.
  • dopetothemax
    TTAZ wrote: »
    Lol out of all the positive things I have to say about FIFA 19, 0 of them are about pure gameplay

Same! Changes to FUT Champs are good. Rivals, in concept at least, is a good change. They screwed up the rewards and chose to make that the everyday mode rather than the competitive mode to determine tournament participants but oh well. The amount of promos and the ideas have been solid. They haven’t necessarily executed them well with the fut swap player choices being awful and certain SBCs being too expensive for what you get in return, etc.

Dang even the things I like all have some caveat as to how they messed it up LOL
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    Where do I start?

So many good additions!

I actually think EA got more right than wrong for once.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    edited October 2018

Not taking shots or anything, but how good were you at last year’s game? I’m finding that people that struggled with last year’s game are enjoying this one which is why I ask. This year has a lot of mechanics that help out the players that aren’t as good.

I was good enough. WL regular for a large part. I am not competing for tournament entry, but I play to win (hopefully).
    I played about 1500 matches.

I learn the game and play it.

I am winning losing about the same as usual.

The game has it's frustrations, but it is a football game, so obviously it will have.

It is enjoyable imho. I like the speed of the game, the fact dribbling and skills are effective, the GKs are a massive improvement, and overall I find it much more enjoyable.
    The whole mechanics feel better than last yr and the last few.

Sweaty boring robotic gameplay and all out pace abuse aren't as OP and ridiculously as effective as the last few yrs which is a massive improvement.
  • B16Lad
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It may be because I don’t play as many games as most on here but I’m much preferring this game to 18, yeah there’s issues (same as every game) and OP bits (same as every game) but my experience has been that those are toned down. I concede a lot less finesse shots than I did low driven shots last year that’s for sure.

Two things that wind me up this year are rewards and pointless SBC’s, player picks are a really good idea but poorly done (seeing pro’s finishing T100 and getting nothing above 82 is horrendous) and SBC’s have been watered down to the point where there’s not much point doing most of them.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10131 posts Has That Special Something
    Where do I start?

So many good additions!

I actually think EA got more right than wrong for once.

Give examples?
  • Finesse_4days
    6859 posts Big Money Move
    Sweet F ALL!
  • Diggy
    13618 posts Has That Special Something
    There is a pitch a ball 22 players & 3 officials

That’s all folks
  • lf2009
    2209 posts Fans' Favourite

I enjoy this year and im as good at 19 as i was at 18.

19 has its flaws but id rather have the game we have now than a boring pace is everything mode

Im in the minority though as the only thing i dislike about 19 is corners. I dont seem to witness 50/50 tackle rubbish or people leaving defense to the ai which is mention every minute on here
  • dopetothemax

I was good enough. WL regular for a large part. I am not competing for tournament entry, but I play to win (hopefully).
    I played about 1500 matches.

I learn the game and play it.

I am winning losing about the same as usual.

The game has it's frustrations, but it is a football game, so obviously it will have.

It is enjoyable imho. I like the speed of the game, the fact dribbling and skills are effective, the GKs are a massive improvement, and overall I find it much more enjoyable.
    The whole mechanics feel better than last yr and the last few.

Sweaty boring robotic gameplay and all out pace abuse aren't as OP and ridiculously as effective as the last few yrs which is a massive improvement.

See I’m also winning and losing about the same as before as well. Gold 1 regular last year, Elite 3 occasionally, and I’m Gold 1 again this year. It’s just a more frustrating experience to get those same results for me. AI defending is just far too OP. And when you try to put in a manual tackle, the ball just bounces back to the opponent constantly.

I agree with you I like the speed of the game more than last year. The lack of pace is becoming an issue for me the more I’ve played the game though. It’s increasingly difficult to punish defenders for their mistakes. Your opponent can pull defenders out of position and you can play your man in behind and he’ll just be caught up nearly every time. There is far more that frustrates me than I’m happy with at the moment.
  • RealM
    5271 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    tikitaka33 wrote: »
    There is a ball and two goalposts.

Funny you say that because sometimes the net is missing. Never happened to me but I have seen videos.
  • dopetothemax
    lf2009 wrote: »

19 has its flaws but id rather have the game we have now than a boring pace is everything mode

Im in the minority though as the only thing i dislike about 19 is corners. I dont seem to witness 50/50 tackle rubbish or people leaving defense to the ai which is mention every minute on here

See this has me curious. You see so often on here that people have different experiences with the same game. For me, every single game, with no exception, I’ll put in a tackle and watch the ball bounce back to my opponent. Multiple times. It also happens in my favor too where I should have lost the ball but maintained possession through a nonsense deflection. This is every game. So it’s fascinating to me that you say you’ve never experienced that.
  • DutyHarry
    4906 posts National Call-Up

See this has me curious. You see so often on here that people have different experiences with the same game. For me, every single game, with no exception, I’ll put in a tackle and watch the ball bounce back to my opponent. Multiple times. It also happens in my favor too where I should have lost the ball but maintained possession through a nonsense deflection. This is every game. So it’s fascinating to me that you say you’ve never experienced that.

He can't possibly be playing the same game, these stupid reflections and rebounds do happen almost 10 times a game, not to mention the passes going the wrong way or players having a brain fart suddenly. :D
  • Joestoe
    4666 posts National Call-Up
    I like that defenders can catch up with players who're running with the ball. It's more realistic, especially if you saw how Van Dijk caught up with Willian a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of aspects seem broken. However, I still think that if the servers would be consistently good (instead of freaking horrible now) the game would be very enjoyable.
  • dopetothemax
    Joestoe wrote: »
    I like that defenders can catch up with players who're running with the ball. It's more realistic, especially if you saw how Van Dijk caught up with Willian a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of aspects seem broken. However, I still think that if the servers would be consistently good (instead of freaking horrible now) the game would be very enjoyable.

In my opinion, screw realism. It’s a video game, one they’re trying to make an esport. If someone pulls their CB out of position and I get past them with an Mbappe or someone like that, they should be punished for making that error. Not just immediately catch up to me as if nothing happened. Takes the skill out of defending because you can just pull players all over the place and just catch up
  • Joestoe
    edited October 2018

In my opinion, screw realism. It’s a video game, one they’re trying to make an esport. If someone pulls their CB out of position and I get past them with an Mbappe or someone like that, they should be punished for making that error. Not just immediately catch up to me as if nothing happened. Takes the skill out of defending because you can just pull players all over the place and just catch up

Lol, this is one of those cases where EA just can't get it right. Some people want realism, like me, and some people want it like you.

TBF, we all were complaining about how pace always was the dominant factor in the game and now they changed it, people still whine.

EA deserves about 99% of all the criticism they get. But there's that 1% that they will never get right because the opinions differ so much.

I'm glad that pace abusers took a hit this year.

And what skill is there in defending? Running around with a CDM isn't exactly what I call skill.
  • lf2009
    2209 posts Fans' Favourite

I concede the odd random deflection from a tackle, or tackle someone in their half and the ball bounces and put them clear through on my goal but ive been playing fut since the first 5 minutes it was released and its happened every year, im not going to start complaining about it now and singling out 19

I dont see why people expect such a drastic change every year with fifa when the last 9 years have proven it doesnt change and the issues carry over, just need to adapt

Im average and play casually but won div1 every year bar 17 i think, adapting to the game is easier than blaming losses on mechanics
  • Joestoe

I concede the odd random deflection from a tackle, or tackle someone in their half and the ball bounces and put them clear through on my goal but ive been playing fut since the first 5 minutes it was released and its happened every year, im not going to start complaining about it now and singling out 19

I dont see why people expect such a drastic change every year with fifa when the last 9 years have proven it doesnt change and the issues carry over, just need to adapt

Im average and play casually but won div1 every year bar 17 i think, adapting to the game is easier than blaming losses on mechanics

We had a reason to believe it was gonna change with the new "50/50-engine". Clearly, it was just some joke as nothing has changed.
  • dopetothemax

You’re confusing my complaints with that equaling me struggling. I have adapted and I’m doing just as well this year as I was last year W/L wise. Still a Gold 1 level player in WL. I’m not blaming losses on mechanics at all. As I’ve said already, these broken mechanics work in my favor as well. But that doesn’t make them any less broken.
  • dopetothemax

Lol, this is one of those cases where EA just can't get it right. Some people want realism, like me, and some people want it like you.

TBF, we all were complaining about how pace always was the dominant factor in the game and now they changed it, people still whine.

EA deserves about 99% of all the criticism they get. But there's that 1% that they will never get right because the opinions differ so much.

I'm glad that pace abusers took a hit this year.

And what skill is there in defending? Running around with a CDM isn't exactly what I call skill.

See, I’m complaining about the lack of pace, but I didn’t take a hit this year. I’m doing just fine.

The skill in defending is switching constantly placing players in correct pisitions, tracking runs, and putting in a well timed tackle. Problem is, you get punished for that this year. The ball just bounces back to the attacker when you put in a manual tackle.