Newcastle United: de Boer era

JoshDFC
2146 posts Fans' Favourite
25h3bko.png

Newcastle United are pleased to announce the arrival of former Holland International Frank de Boer as our new manager. Frank de Boer joins after leading Ajax to four consecutive Eredivisie titles and says he can't wait to get started with Newcastle he told our website.

"Newcastle are a very big club I can't wait to start here I have been here the last few days watching the team train and I'm very impressed we have some very good young players and I plan on helping them develop , I have a great record with young players and want to sustain that I worked with Eriksen and Blind who are playing for two of the teams competing for the top four and it has to be the long term goal of Newcastle to be doing the same and I promise the fans that in time we will be." asked if he thinks its possible this season he smiled "I think our fans should start preparing their passports I believe we can finish in a european place with the right signings."

Comments

• JoshDFC
    au6ty0.png

Newcastle United are pleased to confirm the signings of Nedum Onuoha and Anwar El Ghazi from Queens Park Rangers and Ajax respectively. Nedum joins after helping QPR secure promotion back to the Premier League and Anwar joins after helping new manager Frank de Boer win the Eredivisie last season.

We caught up with Nedum ahead of his first training session and he said "I'm really excited to be joining Newcastle the move came as a surprise to me to be honest yesterday I was close to securing a move to Burnley then I got a call of Frank (de Boer) saying they had made a bid for me and had it accepted I drove up to the stadium and after fifteen minutes of speaking to the gaffer I knew Newcastle was the team for me I just want to get started with the team and help the lads starting with Borussia Dortmund on Saturday I know its a friendly but with the quality in the team if I get to play I want to show what I can do and cement my place in the team ahead of the opener against Man City."

Anwar said on the move "To join Newcastle is the perfect opportunity for me at this moment in time I'm working with one of the greatest managers in the world in my opinion a manager who has helped me so much in my career we have some very happy memories together and I hope at Newcastle we will create more they have great fans, a great stadium and great facilities we have the foundations lay down to go on and become a very successful team I just hope I can make a big contribution I'm young and looking to develop."

Frank de Boer admitted to being very pleased with his signings so far "I'm delighted we have signed two players who have time on their side in terms of development a few fans have asked me in the town centre about the two deals and how I see them fitting in and I said to them the same thing I want to say to the rest of the toon army trust me and support the players and you will see what each player offers I look at players as individuals as well as how they fit in to our team we want the team to have a positive chemistry but more importantly we want a winning mentality we have 2 or 3 more signings lined up before the deadline but obviously we are still scouting them before a final decision on who will be a good fit for us."
  • CARSTER
    300 posts Sunday League Hero
    Good luck and two nice signings to start
  • JoshDFC
    CARSTER wrote: »
    Good luck and two nice signings to start

Cheers got few more in mind need a striker and left back
  • JoshDFC
    iftnwh.jpg

Newcastles era under Frank de Boer got off to a perfect start with a comfortable 3-0 win against Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund. Newcastle started brightly Siem de Jong turning on the edge of the box but his shot was well wide of the goal, on 25 minutes Dortmund should have taken the lead Kagawas ball over the top found Kampl 8 yards out unmarked but Krul was out quick and his shot was straight at the keeper. With the scoreline 0-0 and neither side looking likely of scoring it looked likely we'd go into half time scoreless until El Ghazis long ball to the far post found Aarons unmarked the youngster took a touch before laying the ball off to Sissoko at the edge of the area who fired past Langerak. Into the 2nd half and new Newcastle manager de Boer made his first change taking Perez off to be replaced by Riviere and the move payed off a counter attack started by Krul leading to Newcastle doubling their lead his ball found Aarons who beat 2 men on the left before crossing and finding Riviere unmarked and he headed past Langerak a dream start to his Newcastle career. Newcastle wrapped the game up with 3 minutes remaining El Ghazi and de Jong playing a smart one two on the edge of the area before El Ghazi fired the ball through the legs of Langerak.

A comfortable victory for Newcastle to start of the de Boer era we caught up with him after the game

Q: Frank a nice win against a strong Dortmund side how do you feel about the performance?
    A: We played very well I organised this game to see how we would fair against Champions League opposition and although they were without Reus and Hummels they still had a very strong team out and we played them off the park so I'm very pleased with our performance.

Q: Frank you gave opportunities to young players like Aarons, Haidara and Ayoze Perez and also gave debuts to Onuoha and El Ghazi how do you feel they performed?
    A: I will speak to them all individually to give them feedback on their performances, but overall they did very well against a very good team. I gave the three young lads the chance because of the way they performed in training Haidara and Aarons really stood out today but Ayoze said he had abit of a knock so wasn't at his best. As for the debutants we were solid at the back Nedum won every header he went up for and El Ghazis performance speaks for itself really he got himself on the score sheet with a beautiful goal and was involved in our first goal a great start by them I'm very happy tonight.

Q: You said a few days ago that you were looking at a few other signings are any of them closer to being completed?
    A: No not at the moment to be honest the game has been my priority since that interview we have to fly out to Italy tomorrow ahead of Thursdays game with Cesena so maybe on Tuesday we may have another update but until after that game its unlikely we not rushing we want the perfect player to be honest.

We also spoke with Rolando Aarons about his man of the match performance

Q: Rolando you said you were out to impress in the build up to this game and got man of the match how does that feel?
    A: It feels great, these last few weeks have been the best of my life the new gaffer is amazing he believes in me and to have signed a new deal and got myself man of the match when playing against Dortmund I'm just lost for words I'm buzzing.

Q: What are your aims for the season after making such a positive impact with the first team?
    A: I just need to get my head down to be honest I don't have any specific targets just to nail down a place in the side and help the team moving forward
  • JoshDFC
    edited April 2015
    vwqq1e.png

Newcastle came back down to earth after there 3-0 victory over Dortmund by drawing 1-1 with Serie A side A.C Cesena at the Stadio Dino Manuzzi stadium Frank de Boer made 7 changes from the side that beat Dortmund. The first half was a very boring half the only chance falling to Cisse who found the net after 17 minutes after good work from Haidara on the left found him unmarked his original header was saved but he followed in to head home. After the break the game sparked into life Newcastle should have had a penalty when Kranjc fouling Cisse just inside the box but the referee waved Newcastles protests away. That decision would become a lot more controversial as Cesena then went down the other end and equalised, Renzettis cross from the right found Ze Eduardo totally unmarked his header hit the post but fell nicely for Marilungo who slotted the ball under the on rushing Krul the Newcastle players were furious but reacted well to the equaliser and almost took the lead when Cabellas effort flew just over the post after 58 minutes. Cesena came back at Newcastle Ze Eduardo found Cascione unmarked in the box but the midfielders shot flew miles wide a big opportunity wasted. Ze Eduardo almost won the game for Cesena with 3 minutes left he found space in the box but Krul was out quick to make a fantastic save and deny the Italian team the win.

After the game we caught up with Frank de Boer

Q: Frank today we could only manage a draw against Cesena do you think this was a fair result?
    A: Yes and no really. We had for me a blatant penalty turned down and then they equalised but theres no need to make a big song and dance about it, its pre season so the result doesn't really matter its mainly about the performance and gaining fitness and today the performance was poor we may have been unlucky in one way but in another we were lucky because after Cesena equalised they looked dangerous and could have beaten us.

Q: You made seven changes from the team that played Dortmund are you happy with the contribution of the players that came in?
    A: No I'm not happy with the performance today again I will speak to the team and then speak to the players individually some showed signs but I want to see commitment for 90 minutes if you to be in my squad.

Q: And finally is there anymore news on the transfer front?
    A: We have made a few bids but as of yet again they're no where near completion we just want a bit of patience
  • JoshDFC
    16jo6dx.png

Newcastle finished pre season off with a boring 0-0 draw with La Liga BBVA side Real Sociedad at St James Park. The game was marred by a serious looking injury to on loan striker Facundo Ferreyra. The game started very slowly the only chance of the first half falling to El Ghazi his header from Aarons free kick being saved excellently by Sociedads keeper Bardaji. Then came the injury to Ferreyra the striker went up for a header with Sociedad centre back Inigo but landed awkwardly on his right knee and was subsequently stretchered off to be replaced by Riviere, Tiote can count his lucky stars that he didn't suffer a serious injury just moments later after Sergio Canales extremely dangerous challenge from behind infuriated the Newcastle players and resulted in the Spain youngster being shown a straight red card a tackle he has since apologised for making. The 2nd half was just as boring as the 1st the game only coming to life with ten minutes left Sissoko laying the ball off at the edge of the area for Mehdi Abeid but his effort flew just wide, 2 minutes later and El Ghazi found himself through after good work by Cabella but his effort was from a tight angle and well saved by Badeji. The biggest chance of the game fell to the ten men a through ball by Alain set Agirretxe through one on one but with loads of time the striker didn't even test the keeper placing his shot well wide of Tim Krul's post. After the game we spoke to the manager.

Q: Frank firstly how is Facundo?
    A: At the moment Facundo is at hospital we believe it is a bad injury and we have agreed to terminate his loan which is disappointing as I believed he could make a big impact this season but like I said its a serious injury and we have decided to cancel the loan with Shakhtar.

Q: What did you make of Sergio Canales challenge on Tiote?
    A: It was a very late and dangerous tackle but Sergio came into our dressing room and apologized both to Tiote and to our players which I thought was really decent of him

Q: What do you make of our performance today?
    A: We were very disappointing to be honest we played against ten men for 50 minutes and created one clear cut chance we need to do better than that if we want to compete for european qualification.

We also caught up with man of the match Massadio Haidara

Q: Mass a great performance by you again today how do you feel heading into the season?
    A: I'm feeling good at the moment I feel like I've had a good pre season and I'm really looking forward to the season starting I'm feeling positive the manager spoke with me and said he's really impressed with me so I'm confident heading into the season.

Q: Fans have praised the manager for getting the best out of you how do you feel about him?
    A: He has filled us all with confidence, as a young player you know if you work hard enough and show your quality he will give you a chance he has proven it at Ajax and he's proven he's successful when he does it by winning titles over there. Alot of managers prefer experience but he said if you're good enough you're old enough I know a lot of managers say that but he actually means it.
  • JoshDFC
    dlm0yd.png

Newcastle United got off to a poor start in their Premier League campaign after an opening day defeat to champions Manchester City at St James Park. City took the lead within 5 minutes Moussa Sissoko gave the ball away to Bony after a mix up with Aarons and Bony played the ball to Jovetic 6 yards out who turned and fired past Krul in the Newcastle goal. City almost doubled their lead after 26 minutes Fernandinhos through ball finding Toure unmarked but his shot was well wide, 9 minutes later and City did double their lead Milner's cross found Bony who flicked the ball into the path of Jovetic who headed home from 4 yards out. 5 minutes later Newcastle almost levelled Sissoko's short corner found Tiote who laid it off to Haidara but his effort hit the crossbar. Into the 2nd half and after 6 minutes Newcastle did pull one back Armstrong picking up a loose ball just outside the area he skipped past the challenges of Yaya Toure and Mangala before slotting the ball past Caballero. Newcastle then found themselves down to ten men Moussa Sissoko's day going from bad to worst after being shown a 2nd yellow card for a foul on Pablo Zabaleta after that the closest any side came was with 3 minutes left when Janmaat fired just wide from the edge of the box. After the game we got the thoughts of Frank de Boer

Q: Frank an opening day defeat to the champions how do you feel?
    A: Today was a difficult game the hardest game we could have asked for in my opinion and we didn't play well enough we started slowly after 5 minutes we were 1-0 down and against Man City to go a goal down so early is just asking for trouble but there were positives and we hope to build on them in the next few weeks.

Q: What are your thoughts on Sissoko's red card?
    A: Its harsh not because of the 2nd challenge the 2nd challenge deserved a yellow but his first for a little push after 40 seconds is that a yellow card? I don't know maybe but he knew he was booked and still decided to commit the foul so I'm disappointed in him today wasn't a good day for him.

Q: You gave Adam Armstrong a shock start what made you decide to start him today?
    A: He did better then the other strikers in training I've said all pre season were light up top but today Adam came in and caused the best defence in the league a lot of problems he has a bright future and today I'm proud of him for his goal.

We also caught up with Adam Armstrong

Q: Adam congratulations on your goal when did you find out you were starting?
    A: Yesterday the gaffer called me over and said your in the squad for the game with City then this morning when I arrived at the stadium he told me he was starting me I was shocked but I couldnt let it affect my performance I just wanted to get out there and make an impact

Q: Make an impact you did what went through your mind as you got the ball for your goal?
    A: Nothing really haha I saw Yaya running at me so skipped past him then Mangala had commited to the challenge and I saw a big gap to run into so i jumped over his challenge saw the keeper coming out and just slotted the ball in the corner.
  • JoshDFC
    261kym8.png

Newcastle bounced back from their disappointing loss to Manchester City by comfortably beating Aston Villa 3-0 at Villa park. Newcastle started brightly and could of been ahead after 4 minutes de Jongs low striker from outside the area being tip around the post by Guzan, 9 minutes later Newcastle took the lead Aarons ball down the left found Haidara who dodged past a reckless challenge by Clark before pulling the ball back to Armstrong who placed the ball past Guzan. Then after 29 minutes Newcastle were given a penalty Ron Vlaar bringing down Aarons, de Jong stepped up and fired the ball into the top corner giving Guzan who guessed the right way no chance. Then on the stroke of half time the referee again pointed to the spot after Abeid went down under the challenge of Baker again de Jong stepped up making it 3-0. Into the 2nd half and Newcastle almost made it 4 Aarons cross found de Jong unmarked but his header was well saved by Guzan. With ten minutes left Villa almost pulled one back when Carles Gils shot hit Onuoha and cannoned back of the post with Krul being left flat footed but it was Newcastle who took home the three points. Heres what de Boer said after the game.

Q: Frank 3 points, 3 goals and a clean sheet a perfect performance?
    A: Yes described perfectly it was a perfect performance, especially since we were away from home we started brightly got in their faces and it paid off with a good win

Q: A lot of controversy about the 2nd penalty Tim Sherwood felt Abeid went down to easy what did you make of it?
    A: Baker has hold of his shirt and as Abeid went to shoot tugged on it meaning Abeid was unbalanced and couldn't stay up so for me the referee made the correct call is it harsh? No how can a penalty be harsh? It's either a foul and penalty or not or a foul it is that simple

Q: Theres alot of talk that the club are close to signing Fabian Schar are the rumours true?
    A: Fabian is having a medical tomorrow so hopefully he will be a Newcastle player soon this time next week we should have a few new signings.

We also caught up with Man of the match Siem de Jong

Q: Siem a great team performance you're the man of the match how are you finding life at Newcastle?
    A: It is good I'm enjoying myself a lot everyone is so welcoming at this club which is one of the biggest in the country

Q: Your a midfielder known for scoring goals whats it like to get your first couple in the Premiership?
    A: I'm very happy to score my first goals in this league I know if you don't score early on in your career they get on your back so I'm pleased I have a couple of goals

Q: What do you make of the impact Adam Armstrong and Rolando Aarons have had on the team so far?
    A: They have been great both are so hard working in training and on the pitch they both have great composure and ability I think they can have a big season for us they both have great potential for the future.
  • Ashy
    13878 posts Has That Special Something
    good luck, good start so far and El Ghazi is a brilliant signing for Newcastle
  • JoshDFC
    Cheers disappointed with the City game poor start cost me but bounced back and hopefully get few more sigings
  • JoshDFC
    2csccvt.png

Newcastle United our pleased to confirm the double signing of Aleksandar Mitrovic and Fabian Schar from Anderlecht and FC Basel for undisclosed fees. Aleksandar joins after impressing for Anderlecht last season where he scored 16 goals in 39 appearances in all competitions and Fabian Schar joins after a successful season with FC Basel in which he was selected for Switzerland's World Cup squad. We caught up with Frank de Boer on his thoughts on the new signings.

Q: Frank two new signings today are we likely to see any more players join?
    A: Well I have signed 5 players that added to the players that Alan (Pardew) signed we have been very busy so I don't know if there will be anymore business but if the right player becomes available we will obviously look into it.

Q: You have said all summer that we need a striker we've signed Aleksandar will he go straight into the squad?
    A: No one goes straight into our squad you have to earn your place and after Adam Armstrongs strong start to the season its hard not to start him in the next game.

Q: With the signing of Nicola Murru and Fabian Schar that means you have signed 3 defenders is that a position that concerned you when you started?
    A: We only had 3 centre backs and 1 left back so we had to go out and find some competition for those places and I feel we have made 2 great signings who can challenge for a starting berth straight away

Q: Both Aleksandar and Fabian left teams who are in the Champions League to join us do you think that adds extra pressure to secure European qualification this season?
    A: No not in my opinion they joined us because we are one of the biggest clubs in England and they know that we are building for a future where we will be challenging for Champions League football and one day even the title thats why we targeted younger players.

Q: Aleksandar scored 16 goals in the Belgian League but a lot of fans are concerned about the difference in quality from the Premier League and the Belgian league do you think he can score consistently in the Premier League?
    A: Yes I do Aleksandar is a fantastic footballer with extraordinary technical ability and he knows how to finish I believe our fans will love him.

Q: And finally with our new signings have the targets for the season changed?
    A: No we have a plan in place for the development of Newcastle United and that plan was made with signings in mind already.
  • Great stuff so far, good luck
  • JoshDFC
    Great stuff so far, good luck

Cheers :smile:
  • JoshDFC
    eikvvp.png

Newcastle made it back to back wins with a 1-0 victory at home to Crystal Palace. The first half was a game of very few chances the biggest chance falling to Aarons 40 minutes in he broke free in the area cutting in from the left but his shot from a tight angle was easily saved by Speroni. The 2nd half started off quickly just 2 minutes into the 2nd half Tiotes shot from 25 yards forcing Speroni into a good save 7 minutes later and Newcastle should have led Tiotes through ball found de Jong whos smart flick fell to Armstrong 8 yards out but he didn't even hit the target. Then after 62 minutes de Jongs deflected effort fell just wide of Speronis post and from the resulting corner Newcastle took the lead Nedum Onuoha nipping in front of Speroni to head into an empty net, 6 minutes later and Palace almost equalised Lees through ball setting Wanderson away but his effort hit the post. Newcastle held on for 3 vital points we caught up with Frank de Boer after the game

Q: Frank 3 points and another clean sheet what do you make of the performance?
    A: It was a very boring game if I'm being honest but these are the games that you have to be well organized and the games where if you get a chance you have to take it because both defences were playing really good

Q: Nedum was Man of the Match what do you make of his impact so far?
    A: Nedum has been great so far he's settled in really quickly at the club and has played great in the first few games I hope he can build on his start

Q: We got 3 points but it wasn't a great performance at home for the 2nd game running why do you think that is?
    A: We've only played 2 home games and we have won one of them so I'm not thinking about that.

We also caught up with match winner and Man of the Match Nedum Onuoha

Q: Nedum your first goal for Newcastle how do you feel?
    A: I'm over the moon to score the match winner and to get a clean sheet is really pleasing

Q: It was a game of few chances how are you settling into the team?
    A: I'm loving it here to be honest Newcastle fans are one of the most passionate set of fans in the country and they seem to have forgiven me for my time at Sunderland haha

Q: Haha it was only a loan, You and Fabricio seem to be playing well together do you enjoy playing with him?
    A: Yes of course hes a great player and he has helped me settle in but we have lots of quality at the back we have Steven and have been out and added Fabian so I know to stay in the team I just have to keep playing to the best of my ability
  • JoshDFC
    16jj2xj.png

Newcastle are pleased to announce the signing of Ibai Gomez for an undisclosed fee from Athletic Bilbao on a 5 year deal. The winger joins after playing just 18 league games last season despite only playing games he still managed to score 8 goals and help Bilbao qualify for the Champions League. We caught up with the new signing after he completed his medical.

Q: Ibai Welcome to the club how do you feel about joining Newcastle?
    A: I'm very happy to be joining Newcastle I enjoyed my time with Bilbao and thank their fans for the support they showed me but last year was frustrating for me and I wanted a new start

Q: A few people in Spain have expressed disappoint in you for not fighting for your place what do you say to those people?
    A: I respect the opinions of journalists but it was my decision in my career and I want to begin a new chapter playing for this great club and hopefully get myself in the Spain squad

Q: I don't know if you've seen many games of Newcastles this season but Rolando Aarons has been in great form so far what do you feel your chances are of nailing down a first team spot?
    A: I have confidence in my ability I know that the manager gives everyone a chance and when it comes I just want to take it I want to play and thank the manager for his trust in me.

Frank de Boer also answered some questions

Q: Frank your 6th signing now is it your final signing this summer?
    A: For certain yes we have spent a lot of money and now its about letting them show what they can do.

Q: What do you think Ibai can add to the side?
    A: He is a very good goal scoring midfielder which is very important for me you look at our team we have Siem, Moussa, Anwar and Ibai who are all good goal scoring midfielders so its obviously something we look at when adding to our midfield we have Tiote who does the defensive part and allows the rest to create and score goals

Q: How important is it to score goals from midfield?
    A: Its very important, At times my Ajax team played without a striker we had Siem in the false 9 role you look at teams that win trophies they normally have midfielders who contribute with goals look at Chelsea they had Lampard, United have had Giggs, and Real Madrid have Ronaldo
  • JoshDFC
    2s66bg3.png

Newcastle are through to the next round of the Capital one cup after a comfortable victory at Upton Park Newcastle made ten changes to the team that beat Crystal Palace with de Boer giving debuts to Fabian Schar, Nicola Murru and Ibai Gomez and giving a first start to Aleksandar Mitrovic who scored a hat trick. After just ten minutes West Ham where down to ten men when Jenkinson lunged in on Aleksandar Mitrovic from behind. 7 minutes later and new boy Ibai Gomez should have scored cutting in from the left dodging past the challenge of Reid before firing his shot inches wide of the goal. West Ham came back at Newcastle Nobles ball finding Valencia unmarked but his effort was well wide. Into the second half and it was West Ham who started brighter Valencia and Noble played a neat one two before Valencia picked out Song who should have down miles better from 12 yards out not even testing Krul in the Newcastle goal. 5 minutes later and Song would be made to pay for his miss when Cabella broke free in the box his shot from a tight angle took a big deflection off Reid with the ball bouncing past a helpless Jaaskelainen and slowly rolling over the line. 14 minutes later Newcastle almost doubled their lead but Mitrovics shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Jaaskelainen Mitrovic wouldn't have to wait much longer for his first goal as from the resulting corner he rose highest to head past Jaaskelainen. 6 Minutes later he had his 2nd and Newcastles 3rd with a stunning header from Jonas Gutierrez's cross. Just 4 minutes later Mitrovic wrapped up his hat trick intercepting a poor Winston Reid pass on the halfway line and running through to slot the ball past Jaaskelainen to wrap up a comfortable 4-0 win for Newcastle. We caught up with Frank de Boer after the game

Q: Frank another very good away performance what did you make of it?
    A: I thought we played fantastic especially in the 2nd half. When West Ham went down to ten men they sat back a bit more and it was hard to create chances but we were patient and when we got a chance we took it after that West Ham had to come out abit and we then played some great football and Aleksandar scored a hat trick.

Q: A stunning hat trick for Aleksandar what did you make off his and the debutants performance?
    A: Aleks was magical he showed how much of a complete striker he is already and he still has a lot of developing to do he is going to be a very special footballer he has it all pace, strength, technical ability he is a big player for us.

Q: And what about the other debutants?
    A: They all played great everyone did not many teams can beat West Ham 40 yet alone away so it was a special performance.

We also caught up with hat trick hero Mitrovic and got his thoughts on his hat trick

Q: Aleks a great hat trick on your first start how do you feel?
    A: The most important thing is that we won I'm delighted I could contribute with 3 goals but we're into the next round and still have a chance of success in this competition

Q: How far do you think you can go in this cup?
    A: I think we can win it, in the past Swansea have won it so why can't we

Q: Have the Toon army helped you when settling in?
    A: Yes they have they are great fans when I go into the city its full of Newcastle fans who come upto me and ask me how I'm settling in and ask for pictures they have really helped me settle in and today they were even singing my name which makes me smile I want to score goals for them they deserve it
  • JoshDFC
    155nfxy.png

Newcastle continued their strong start to the season with a less than impressive 2-1 victory at St Marys. Newcastle made 7 changes to the team that beat West Ham with Janmaat, Coloccini, Haidara, Abeid, Tiote, El Ghazi and de Jong coming in for Taylor, Taylor, Murru, Sissoko, Anita, Jonas and Cabella. Newcastle got off to a nightmare start finding themselves a goal down after 11 minutes Bertrands ball down the left found Tadic in the box who cut the ball back to Pelle who slotted the ball into the bottom corner Southampton should have doubled their lead when Shane Long's through ball released Tadic but Krul was out quick to make a great save. Southampton were made to pay for their missed opportunity de Jongs shot was well saved by Forster Mitrovics follow effort was also saved but the ball fell back at the feet of the striker and he slotted the ball home to equalise. Southampton came back at Newcastle and almost took the lead when Newcastle failed to clear a free kick the ball found its way to Ward Prowse who played it to Long who shot looked destined for the bottom corner but for a world class save by Krul. Southampton should have re taken the lead when Ward Prowses cross to the far post found Pelle who out jumped Janmaat to head the ball back across the goal to Long who somehow headed wide from 6 yards with the goal gaping. Into the 2nd half and Southampton continued to dominate Mayuka's through ball finding Ward Prowse his effort hitting the post before the ball fell back to Mayuka but his shot was well wide. Southampton almost took the lead with 13 minutes remaining Davis shot being well saved by Krul the ball fell nicely to Mayuka whose effort was again saved by Krul. Then with 2 minutes left Newcastle took the lead against the run of play Sissoko finding Tiote in space 25 yards out the Ivorian took a touch before firing an effort into the top corner to give Newcastle the 3 points. We caught up with Frank de Boer and got his thoughts on the win.

Q: Frank a backs to the wall performance but we got the points how do you feel?
    A: I feel lucky to have such a good keeper, Tim was magical today he made several great saves and because of him we have managed to push on and win with a goal that maybe we didn't deserve but in football you have to take your chances and we did.

Q: Do you think the team have been inconsistent so far this season we comfortably beat Aston Villa and West Ham but struggled against City, Palace and today?
    A: Yes we have been inconsistent but in 2 of the games in which we haven't played well we have won and we have had a few injuries and suspensions.

Q: Speaking of injuries Nedum suffered a horror injury in training how is he doing?
    A: He broke his tailbone so he going to miss a lot of the season unfortunately everyones gutted for him he was just getting settled in and was playing great so it is really unfortunate for him

• JoshDFC
    124em8m.png

Newcastle are into the next round of the Capital One cup where they will play Middlesbrough at St James park after a 1-0 home win over Fulham. Frank de Boer named a much change team from the one that beat Southampton With Taylor, Taylor, Murru, Anita, Jonas, Cabella, Aarons and Armstrong replacing Janmaat, Coloccini, Haidara, Tiote, El Ghazi, de Jong, Ibai and Mitrovic. It was a poor game in truth with the best chance of the first half falling to McCormack as he broke clear but his shot was well wide, the second half was similar to the first the closest anyone coming was when Cabellas free kick from 29 yards sailed just wide of the post. Into extra time and with penalties looming Newcastle got themselves a goal through a brilliant counter attack Colback playing Aarons through the keeper got a big hand to his shot but it still found its way into the net gifting Newcastle a late winner and a local derby at home to Middlesbrough in the next round. We spoke to Frank de Boer after the game and heres what he said.

Q: Frank that makes it 5 wins in a row now how do you feel?
    A: I think that we won again whilst not playing to our best and I don't think we can go on not playing well because we will eventually drop points

Q: You made 8 changes to the team today do you think chopping and changing the team is having a negative impact at all?
    A: Its a cup competition so its normal to rotate the team and give other players the chance to impress me

Q: We have drawn Middlesbrough so it will be your first Tyne-Tees derby are you looking forward to it?
    A: Yes I am, your first derby is always important but this is strange because if we lose normally you have another tie to get redemption but they're in a different division so we can't lose or our fans won't hear the end of it we want to progress in the cup and try our best to win it Newcastle haven't won a trophy for a long time and I think this is the season to change that.
  • Ahmer50x
    28171 posts Player of the Year
    Rolando Aarons is mint mate.
  • Ryan
    9499 posts League Winner
    Great to see Abeid, Armstrong and Aarons given a chance :) Excellent start so far!
  • JoshDFC
    Ryan wrote: »
    Great to see Abeid, Armstrong and Aarons given a chance :) Excellent start so far!

Cheers one of the reasons I chose de Boer is because he has a good track record with youngsters plus he's been linked with Newcastle in real life so is realistic :smile:
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Rolando Aarons is mint mate.

I know for a 70 rated player he contributes a lot not sure on his potential though
  • Mitrovic is firing on all cylinders! Really love the graphics you use, good luck!
  • JoshDFC
    69qn2v.png

Newcastle suffered their first defeat since the opening day of the season after they lost 1-0 at the Britannia Stadium. It was a poor game to be truthful the only meaningful chance of the first half falling to Nzonzi who got on the end of Odemwingie's low cross but his effort hit the post. Newcastle started brightly in the 2nd half de Jong breaking into the box after 47 minutes but his shot failed to hit the target, 9 minutes later de Jong again broke into the box but this time his shot was saved by Begovic. He was made to rue those missed chances 12 minutes later when Teo Gutierrez found Nzonzi whose first time shot went through the legs of Krul to give Stoke the lead. Newcastles heads dropped after that and they never looked like equalising we caught up with de Boer after the game who said.

Q: Frank your first loss since the opening day how do you feel about our performance?
    A: We played poor Stoke deserved to win this game I have been saying for the last few weeks we must improve and its up to the players to do that

Q: After going behind you didn't really create an opportunity did that disappoint you?
    A: Yes of course we lacked character today I was hoping that when we went behind we would wake up and come back at Stoke but we didn't

Q: Schar seemed to be limping at the end is his injury anything serious?
    A: No we don't think so anyway he went up for a header and took a knock off the keeper he's got ice on it at the moment but he'll be accessed over the next few days
  • JoshDFC
    CFG wrote: »
    Mitrovic is firing on all cylinders! Really love the graphics you use, good luck!

Cheers Mitrovic has got off to a great start looks like a decent all round striker
  • JoshDFC
    18yqzm.png

Newcastle could only manage a draw at home to Hull City as they dropped 2 more points on their quest for european football next season. Newcastle boss Frank de Boer made 3 changes to the team that lost to Stoke Schar missed out due to a knee injury he was replaced by Steven Taylor with Rolando Aarons and Remy Cabella replacing Anwar El Ghazi and Ibai Gomez. Newcastle started brightly Remy Cabellas cross from the right was met by de Jong but his header was just wide of the post, it was then Sissoko's turn to go close his free kick from 38 yards looked destined for the top corner but for an incredible save by Khune in the Hull goal. Hull should have gone in at half time 1-0 up when Hernandez was found unmarked in the box but his right footed effort went into the side netting. Newcastle got off to a dream start in the 2nd half the referee playing a good advantage after Davies fouled de Jong with the ball finding its way to Cabella who took a touch before curling the ball into the bottom corner. Hull came straight back at Newcastle and equalised 4 minutes later Robertson dodging past Coloccini's half hearted attempt at a tackle before crossing to the far post to find an unmarked Hernandez who scored his first league goal since his transfer from Palermo in the summer. Newcastle almost retook the lead with 20 minutes to go but Mitrovics effort was blocked on the line by Davies with the keeper beaten and Hull managed to hold on for a point. After the game Frank de Boer had this to say.

Q: Frank one point gained or two dropped?
    A: It was a game that I wanted to win but our concentration has cost us defensively we were all over the place and we didn't create many clear cut chances because Hull had 5 defenders on the pitch and they played very well, Hull deserved a point from this game but I think we didn't play to our potential.

Q: Fabian Schar missed out with a knee injury how long is he likely to be out for?
    A: The physio says he will be out for 2 to 3 weeks so he will miss the game at Swansea but hopefully he will be available for the Leicester game next Tuesday

Q: We currently sit in 4th place do you think we can challenge for a Champions League place this season?
    A: If we can find some consistency in our performances then I think we can yes we have some very good footballers at the club players who deserve to be in the Champions League but we don't want to do what Tottenham did and qualify once then not qualify again for the next 4 years once we qualify I want us t push on thats why most of my signings our young so they can develop into world class players at this club.

Q: Frank you have been praised for giving Aarons, Abeid and Armstrong a chance how risky is it trusting young players at this level?
    A: If a player performs better than his peers in training and out on the pitch why does his age matter? Cristiano Ronaldo won the Balon D'or but there are loads of footballers more experienced than him out there why didn't they win? because of his performances, every player who has played for me this season has earned their spot in the team, no one gets given a pass due to age or experience
  • JoshDFC
    nwkcih.png

Newcastle made it 3 games without a win after a six goal thriller with Swansea at the Liberty Stadium finished level. Frank de Boer made 1 change to the side that drew with Hull City Ibai Gomez replacing Rolando Aarons. Newcastle got off to a dream start Cabellas cross from the right being met by de Jong who headed past a helpless Fabianski, Swansea almost equalised 5 minutes later when Coloccini fouled Gomis on the edge of the area Sigurdsson stepped up to take the free kick but Krul made a great save. Newcastle then started to dominate the game first Ibais cross found Sissoko who headed into the side netting before Haidara's cross found Mitrovic but Fabianski made a world class save to prevent his header flying into the top corner. With Newcastle looking likely to be leading at half time there was controversy as the referee awarded a free kick to Swansea on the edge of the area a very harsh decision as Taylor hadn't touched Gomis and was still on his feet, Sigurdsson stepped up and curled a beautiful free kick into the top corner, 2 minutes later and Swansea led Tom Carroll's through ball played Sigurdsson through and he slotted the ball into the bottom corner to give Swansea the lead. Into the 2nd half and Newcastle found themselves level after 72 minutes de Jongs shot from the edge of the area was saved by Fabianski but Tiote was first to react and slid the ball into the empty net with Fabianski still on the floor, 8 minutes later and Sigurdsson had his hat trick Gomis through ball released the Iceland international who out muscled Haidara before firing a vicious left footed effort into the bottom right corner. With Swansea looking likely to take all 3 points Newcastle found an equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game Ibai Gomez laying the ball back to de Jong on the edge of the area and his shot flew into the top corner to give Newcastle a deserved point. We got the thoughts of Frank de Boer after the game.

Q: Frank firstly what did you make of their first goal was it a freekick?
    A: I have just spoken to Gary Monk and he said to me that there is no point in speaking about the referee but he has the same opinion as me and everyone else watching this game on that alleged foul

Q: Despite only drawing what did you make of our performance?
    A: We played great football at times but defensively again we were very poor we didn't concentrate if you are winning after 43 minutes you shouldn't be losing at half time but we showed character to score a very late equaliser, I liked the fact we didn't give up

Q: That makes it 3 games without a win are you concerned about are winless run?
    A: No I'm concerned that we are not playing well we aren't concentrating when defending and that is costing us points. We are still adapting to the way I want us to play and obviously we have picked up a few injuries so once we adapt we will improve.
  • Ashy
    13878 posts Has That Special Something
    Mitrovic started off well and a great start to the season for the team but since Stoke it has dropped off a bit, brilliant 3-3 draw there in the last game with that last minute goal
  • JoshDFC
    Ashy wrote: »
    Mitrovic started off well and a great start to the season for the team but since Stoke it has dropped off a bit, brilliant 3-3 draw there in the last game with that last minute goal

seem to be struggling at the back at the moment think the injury to Onuoha and Schar has had abit of an impact
  • JoshDFC
    2v84x0z.png

Newcastle ended their 3 match winless run with a 1-0 victory at home to Leicester City courtesy of a Moussa Sissoko wonder strike. The first chance of the match fell to Sissoko his effort from the edge of the box forcing Schwarzer into a good save, Newcastle felt they should have had a penalty after 31 minutes when Armstrong was hacked down from behind the referee waving play on Newcastle should have taken the lead after 40 minutes when El Ghazis low cross was met by Aarons but his shot was straight at Schwarzer. Into the second half and it was Armstrongs turn to fire straight at Schwarzer after Cabe;;as cut back found him unmarked. Newcastle did finally take the lead after 78 minutes de Jong was tackled but the ball fell to Sissoko 30 yards out Schwarzer could only watch his right footed rocket fly into the top corner. Leicester almost equalised 5 minutes later Simpsons cross was met by Albrighton but he headed against the post and Newcastle held on to end their winless run. After the game we caught up with Frank de Boer.

Q: Frank you've ended your three game winless run how do you feel?
    A: Today we played very well we still had the moment where we lacked concentration but we deserved to win we created 4 or 5 clear cut chances and on another day it would have been more comfortable.

Q: Adam Armstrong was denied what looked a clear cut penalty what is your opinion on that decision?
    A: I thought it was a penalty their player tripped him from behind but I'm more upset at the challenge that has left Rolando injured I hope the FA will look at this challenge after the game because it was a horrible challenge

Q: With Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Tottenham next up was it important to get back to winning ways with three big games coming up?
    A: It is always important to win no matter who we play next we want to win
  • JoshDFC
    mm3ivn.png

Newcastle are through to the next round of the Capital one cup after their 1-0 win over local rivals Middlesbrough. Frank de Boer made 6 changes from the team that beat Leicester last time out Schar returned from his knee injury to replace Taylor with Haidara, Tiote, Cabella, Ibai Gomez and Mitrovic replacing Murru, Sissoko, de Jong, Aarons and Armstrong. In a very tense first half the biggest opportunity fell to Vossen after good work from Nsue on the left he cut inside before laying it off to the Belgian whose shot was well saved by Krul. Into the 2nd half and Newcastle led 8 minutes after the break Abeid found Mitrovic on the edge of the box he turned into the box and fired a left foot shot into the bottom corner. Middlesbrough almost equalised after 65 minutes but Kikes effort from 5 yards was blocked by Schar when it looked destined for the bottom corner, Adomah should have scored from the resulting corner Whiteheads header back across the goal found him 5 yards out but his header was wide. Newcastle almost doubled their lead Ibais curling effort went just wide 1-0 the final score with Newcastle progressing to the next round, we got the thoughts of Frank de Boer after his first derby.

Q: Frank how do you feel after your first derby?
    A: I'm happy because today we beat our rivals and progressed in the cup I'm sure our fans are very happy with our performance and have bragging rights.

Q: What did you make of our performance?
    A: I think we controlled the game well we defended very good and concentrated for the full 90 minutes.

Q: Fabian Schar made his return from injury and got man of the match how important is he to us?
    A: Fabian is a great defender and I think that we missed his quality in the last few weeks I'm happy he has returned from his injury.