OT: injuries

Antparry92
17520 posts World Class
So after years of having trouble with my hips and several operations later I had some scan results yesterday that have told me I have osteoarthritis in my hips and will need another operation on them due to the arthritis. I’m 25, so really young to be having these problems that I’ve had a while. I’ve been advised to stop playing football by my doctor and physio but have yet to talk with the specialist who done my previous operations.

I’m finding it hard to come to terms with not being able to play football again and need to find something that fills that void to keep fit and have a hobby. Has anyone else here had a career ending injury and found it hard not playing again?

Comments

  • RBailss
    11791 posts Has That Special Something
    Feel for you bro... I had lateral meniscus surgery to remove about 30% of the cartilage in March (after waiting almost a year after I tore it)... Before the op, I was told I was guaranteed to suffer bad arthritis in time.

    Eventually started training & playing again, The last couple of years have been so hard & the rehab was even harder. Never rule out playing again, anything is possible... Especially if my memory serves, you played at a pretty good standard? You are still relatively young, keep your head up.
  • YOLOT0URE
    6949 posts Big Money Move
    I had to stop playing after serious knee injuries, separately, on both knees. Basically was told that the doctor had never seen so much damage in 1 scan. Having a family and bills meant I had to give it up. From playing approx 6 times a week to nothing was hard, but my kids now get a lot more of my time (not that they didn’t anyway).
    It depends on your life really imo, it was hard for me to stop but now I can do a lot more without thinking of my commitments e.g having a Sunday off and playing in the morning, resting all day, playing again on the evening.
    Just find a hobby that’s pain free and allows you to keep active like swimming. It’s tough to begin with but you don’t want to ruin the next 60 years to play another 10 years of football. Gotta think long term
  • Antparry92
    17520 posts World Class
    RBailss wrote: »
    Feel for you bro... I had lateral meniscus surgery to remove about 30% of the cartilage in March (after waiting almost a year after I tore it)... Before the op, I was told I was guaranteed to suffer bad arthritis in time.

    Eventually started training & playing again, The last couple of years have been so hard & the rehab was even harder. Never rule out playing again, anything is possible... Especially if my memory serves, you played at a pretty good standard? You are still relatively young, keep your head up.

    I’ve had my ACL done as well and a meniscus repair when I was 18. There’s no hope for me :joy:
    Yeh played semi-pro, but the thought of making it worse or getting back fit and then getting grief called in for the op will be a bummer.
  • Yep. Feel for u bru.
    Had a grade 2 ankle ligament tear on both sides.
    Was on crutches and boot for 3 weeks.
    I’m self employed so playing football and risking that again isn’t an option anymore..
    I’d been playing for 20 years without an injury to that point.
    Was just bad luck...

    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running
  • Antparry92
    17520 posts World Class
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:
  • RBailss
    11791 posts Has That Special Something
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:

    Go swimming.
  • Antparry92 wrote: »
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:

    You know it.
    Should have kept up some cardio during the injury.
    Like swimming or static bike work
    But I didn’t and no it’s so hard to start again.

    You might enjoy something like HIT
  • RBailss
    11791 posts Has That Special Something
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:

    You know it.
    Should have kept up some cardio during the injury.
    Like swimming or static bike work
    But I didn’t and no it’s so hard to start again.

    You might enjoy something like HIT

    I struggled so much with rehab so ended up hiring a PT for 20 sessions... My legs have never felt as strong.
  • RBailss wrote: »
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:

    You know it.
    Should have kept up some cardio during the injury.
    Like swimming or static bike work
    But I didn’t and no it’s so hard to start again.

    You might enjoy something like HIT

    I struggled so much with rehab so ended up hiring a PT for 20 sessions... My legs have never felt as strong.

    That’s a good shout.
    I’m back in the gym now doing 5x5
    Feels good to get back doing something I enjoy..... not the DOMS tho
  • Antparry92
    17520 posts World Class
    RBailss wrote: »
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    The hardest part is finding some cardio that’s as fun.. hate running

    This. Have been advised to take up cycling but I had a road bike a few years ago that I must have went on about 4 times before I sold it :joy:

    You know it.
    Should have kept up some cardio during the injury.
    Like swimming or static bike work
    But I didn’t and no it’s so hard to start again.

    You might enjoy something like HIT

    I struggled so much with rehab so ended up hiring a PT for 20 sessions... My legs have never felt as strong.

    I’ve got my level 2 PT done so I’ve got a decent idea of what to do it’s weather or not I try using machines and accessory movements to strengthen my legs instead of heavy compounds like squats. I use to Olympic weightlift and that’s how I met my physio first. He was the National/club physio, he saw me yesterday and the first thing he said was your days of heavy squatting are over after seeing my X-ray
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I am 1 of the fortunate that has never suffered serious injuries or had serious problems that would stop me from playing/doing sport and approaching 40 I can still run around with the 20 somethings and hold my own fitness wise. Admittedly they are more agile and react a bit quicker.

    It makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to have been that lucky health/injury wise when I read your story.
    I really do feel for ya, can't imagine what being told to stop playing football at 25 would feel like.

    How does something like Archery or Snooker sound as a hobby/sport?
    Archery is very interesting to learn.
    Would your hips stop you from swimming?
  • Hippyboy6
    16864 posts World Class
    I'd played from the age of 9 right up to my early 30's, always competitively although never to the point I was paid to play. my knees kept getting worse, constantly suffering with fluid on the knees. Sometimes it was a few weeks out, other times it was a month or 2. As soon as it flared up I was unable to work for a few days or a week at a time. I had to make the decision to give up as it was only going to get worse, especially playing 5 times a week. I had a little one (he turns 15 at the weekend) so I had to put him first financially & being able to chase him round the garden. I still wanted to do something so I took up golf, it's a completely different pace but it allowed me to still compete without any risk to my knees. I've been doing that for about 10 years now & while it's not the same high energy buzz as football, it's still great fun & I don't regret the change at all.

    I hope it works out for you with whatever you decide. I'm now only a few golf trophies behind my football ones, one more season & I'll have cracked it :smiley:
  • Antparry92
    17520 posts World Class
    LeonidasJB wrote: »
    I am 1 of the fortunate that has never suffered serious injuries or had serious problems that would stop me from playing/doing sport and approaching 40 I can still run around with the 20 somethings and hold my own fitness wise. Admittedly they are more agile and react a bit quicker.

    It makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to have been that lucky health/injury wise when I read your story.
    I really do feel for ya, can't imagine what being told to stop playing football at 25 would feel like.

    How does something like Archery or Snooker sound as a hobby/sport?
    Archery is very interesting to learn.
    Would your hips stop you from swimming?
    Use to play snooker actually but everywhere round here has closed down.
    I could take up swimming tbh (lifeguard by trade haha). Swimming is one of the ones I’ve toyed with although as far as I know there’s only a kids club round here. There is a triathlon club so might be able to jump in with them in the swim sessions
  • RBailss
    11791 posts Has That Special Something
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    I'd played from the age of 9 right up to my early 30's, always competitively although never to the point I was paid to play. my knees kept getting worse, constantly suffering with fluid on the knees. Sometimes it was a few weeks out, other times it was a month or 2. As soon as it flared up I was unable to work for a few days or a week at a time. I had to make the decision to give up as it was only going to get worse, especially playing 5 times a week. I had a little one (he turns 15 at the weekend) so I had to put him first financially & being able to chase him round the garden. I still wanted to do something so I took up golf, it's a completely different pace but it allowed me to still compete without any risk to my knees. I've been doing that for about 10 years now & while it's not the same high energy buzz as football, it's still great fun & I don't regret the change at all.

    I hope it works out for you with whatever you decide. I'm now only a few golf trophies behind my football ones, one more season & I'll have cracked it :smiley:

    My knees are similar... Always getting fluid on the knees.. mine go purple too & are cold to touch due to lack of blood flow.. I'm only 29 god dammit!
  • I find music is a good outlet like sports for me. If you're in a good enough condition playing the drums might be beneficial, your whole bodies involved.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    2925 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yoga
Sign In or Register to comment.