Intercepting passes

Psyclon13
403 posts Sunday League Hero
Ok, I think I'm missing some key knowledge about the game mechanics. Whenever I play Rivals, the opponents are pressuring me like crazy - they are rushing at the feet of my players before the ball has even arrived there. My pass completion when the player is more than 2-3 meters away is probably below 20%. I don't know how to deal with that. And furthermore, I don't know how to apply such pressure myself. I've tried "constant pressure" from the menu, "team pressure" in game, contain, teammate contain, manual sprinting towards the player - nothing comes even close to what they do against me. They can't possibly all be super-duper pro players, because I'm in Division 6, they surely know something I don't. And it's not like my players are garbage, they are comparable to those of my opponents. Any tips?

Comments

• X3nonSK
    41 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Psyclon13 wrote: »
    Ok, I think I'm missing some key knowledge about the game mechanics. Whenever I play Rivals, the opponents are pressuring me like crazy - they are rushing at the feet of my players before the ball has even arrived there. My pass completion when the player is more than 2-3 meters away is probably below 20%. I don't know how to deal with that. And furthermore, I don't know how to apply such pressure myself. I've tried "constant pressure" from the menu, "team pressure" in game, contain, teammate contain, manual sprinting towards the player - nothing comes even close to what they do against me. They can't possibly all be super-duper pro players, because I'm in Division 6, they surely know something I don't. And it's not like my players are garbage, they are comparable to those of my opponents. Any tips?

Same here mate.
  • ecstazy
    53 posts Park Captain
    I feel the same way, I consider myself a veteran on PC, playing right now on Div 4, the problem is that they do so much pressure, with one player, let alone more then one that no matter where I go, if I go right, left, shift sides super fast, my opponent's player seem to know all my moves and if I don't pass (that is if I manage...) it will instantly get the ball.

What I don't understand is that same as you, I tried for the past 4 FIFA games every possbile tactic and formation, but I can't seem to find the "secret" of what are they using, and I keep checking online on youtube several matches, even pro players, and they never play like this, or their opponent to be able to pressure you like that.

And from what I saw it's like 90% of the people I face use this. Are they all cheating somehow?

I do believe I am not a bad player, but my players are not capable of doing anything like theirs, no matter they have a Davinson Sanchez/ Van Djik or just a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ player of 78-80 rating and super low pace and reactions.
  • salvadordali1
    314 posts Sunday League Hero
    ecstazy wrote: »
    I feel the same way, I consider myself a veteran on PC, playing right now on Div 4, the problem is that they do so much pressure, with one player, let alone more then one that no matter where I go, if I go right, left, shift sides super fast, my opponent's player seem to know all my moves and if I don't pass (that is if I manage...) it will instantly get the ball.

What I don't understand is that same as you, I tried for the past 4 FIFA games every possbile tactic and formation, but I can't seem to find the "secret" of what are they using, and I keep checking online on youtube several matches, even pro players, and they never play like this, or their opponent to be able to pressure you like that.

And from what I saw it's like 90% of the people I face use this. Are they all cheating somehow?

I do believe I am not a bad player, but my players are not capable of doing anything like theirs, no matter they have a Davinson Sanchez/ Van Djik or just a **** player of 78-80 rating and super low pace and reactions.

Try playing against Aubamayang one magic trugh ball and he is one on one with the keeper.
    Also i noticed that after the patch clearing the ball out of my box is significantly harder either because of my defender decide that this ball shall be kicked out by ground pas, no matter what i pressed, or he feels good and passes the ball with his bloody chest to the second nearest player in the box, or last but not least this double cursor ❤️❤️❤️❤️ that when your player are determined to play the ball no matter what you cant use nearest player or change selected player so you can just watch how your farthest player on the pitch "sprints" to the damn ball with no chance whatsoever.
  • LSB1210
    579 posts An Exciting Prospect

I suspect the servers. I have no actual proof but I sometimes it feels that my opponent magically knows all my moves. Sometimes I can make my play even if the opponent uses that "constant pressure" tactic. The thing is that during "bad server" times my players feels like they are going through mud and they are hard to turn and they always make an extra touch even if i try one touch passes.
  • Springveldt
    7120 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    LSB1210 wrote: »

I suspect the servers. I have no actual proof but I sometimes it feels that my opponent magically knows all my moves. Sometimes I can make my play even if the opponent uses that "constant pressure" tactic. The thing is that during "bad server" times my players feels like they are going through mud and they are hard to turn and they always make an extra touch even if i try one touch passes.

I'd agree with this. If you are on the good side of the connection constant pressure + team pressing is deadly, the AI will win the ball back for you without you even controlling them.

Then there are other games where constant pressure + team pressing will leave all your AI players a yard off the play and your opponent can easily play 1-2's around them.

I played 5 games last night, drew 2 lost 3 (by 1 scrappy goal each time) and the gameplay was horrific. Every 50-50 went to my opponents, every time I headed clear from my box be it with the pass or shoot would go directly to my opponent, tackles just kept bouncing straight back to the opponent etc. I tried constant pressure + team pressing, I tried pushing my back line up, I tried having the back line drop off, nothing worked. Even just holding X to contain didn't work as my player would always shift 2 yards past the player he was containing leaving them to continue on their merry way.
    Meanwhile it felt like my opponents where using legacy defending as they tracked every movement perfectly.

Games like that it feels like there is nothing you can do except stop playing and hope the next time you connect to the servers you are on the better side.

Absolutely infuriating.
  • maksi
    6650 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    high line+team pressure+teammate contain+contain button+constant pressure