Career mode discussion

DanielA-NUFC
31 posts Last Pick at the Park
edited October 17
Hey guys, thought I’d make a thread about this as some people may want to talk about their career modes they are doing but not good at the graphics and stuff for the story thread (myself included).

So fire away, who is your current career with? How are you doing? Best player you’ve bought? Any hidden gems? 😀

Looking forward to hearing about all your careers

Comments

• I usually play my first season 1 difficulty down from normal to get used to anything new. I didn't do it this time and really struggled the first 8 games. But then I hit some form and now I'm struggling again haha.

So I'm arsenal, 20 league games in and I'm 15th! Smashing Europa league though, scoring for fun even with youth players.

Only made 2 signings.
    Asensio as I felt my LW was the weak point
    And berreton from forest for about 1mil. He's scored 4 goals in 3 Europa league games for me.
  • DanielA-NUFC
    Ah yeah man it takes a while to get used too, I didn’t start lower I started on legendary and I struggled also.

I’ve tried a few teams about but currently I’m kortrijk in Belgium, did a financial takeover (kept sogning realistic) and trying to become the best in the league and there is a lot of competition. I’m middle of December and hitting form and I’m 6th I think so not too bad for first half of the season.
  • I've since finished my 1st season.
    Asensio wasn't the hit I'd hoped so in the jan window I signed martial on a pre contract.
    But asensio started being more useful for me so now I have a dilemma of who to play!. Even welbeck hit some forms while resting asensio!

In the end I climbed to 7th in the table, but I won the Europa league, beating Villarreal 1-0 in the final in the 92nd min, so in season 2 I'll be hearing that beautiful champions league music lol.
  • gavin2903
    100 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I'm trying out a Journeyman career which haven't done for a while. 1st season was at Celtic. 2nd I'm at Milan struggled a bit half way through and currently 6th. Wanna stick around at Milan for a few seasons, get them back to the top build them into a force again before trying out in another country.
  • Eddie
    692 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Want to start a Villarreal save but I’m waiting until (IF) they fix the fixture big for la liga...teams not playing all their fixtures.
  • I'm playing a career mode with Leeds and now in my 3rd season. I enjoy it apart from the scripting sometimes sees average players scoring wonder strikes against me.
    1st season I got Leeds up through the playoffs and was given a budget of about 60m for the prem. I bought Pellegri, Joe Gomez & Sessengon, plus a few promising young players. I finished 12th and lost the fa cup final to Spurs.
    Now in my 3rd season and was given another budget of around 60-70m. I signed Alexander Arnold, Sancho & a player called Nandez who plays in Argentina- he's a CM and is awesome at winning the ball back. Currently after about 15 games I'm 6th having only lost 1 but drawn too many.
  • gavin2903
    100 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @lenny0121 sounds great, huge Leeds fan here
  • Lincoln City down in League 2, Ultimate difficulty.

League 2 & League 1 were quite easy but won the Championship only by 3 points, went to the final day in that league.

Was very lucky at the start, had a winger in my youth squad, Dylan Turner. Up from late 50's rating wise up to 81 now.

Can't remember my transfers in the 1st season but in my season in League 1 i signed Nico Yennaris from Brentford & Louis Thompson from Norwich. Both of them very very solid.

Signed Bill Gilmour from Chelsea middle of the League 1 season and hes up to 76 rated now, highly recommend him.

This is my current team after a couple of signings before the Premier League starts.

GK - Muric 76
    LB - John 76
    CB - Thornley 77
    CB - Ampadu 76
    RB - (young RB from Norwich, can't remember his name, around 75 rated)
    CM - Dozwell 76
    CM - Gilmour 77
    CAM - Woodburn 76
    LW - Chong 75
    ST - Ambrose 77
    RW - Turner 81

Enjoying the Career Mode so much this year.
  • DanielA-NUFC
    @Math-Llanber11 sounds great mate! I like how you’ve got realistic signings and not went mad. Nice to see
  • First season started with Cambridge United in the EFL League Two.

Right now it's half November and I'm at the top of the league. Just been eliminated of the Carabao Cup in the quarter final against Fulham. Trying to lose some games to end the season mid table as stated by the board.

Best player (and only one) I bought is Thomas Oliver Amang, 20 years old striker with an overall of 64.
    Also promoted one youth player from Finland, Samu Tamminen. 16 years old right back with an overall of 61.
  • Cooler08
    542 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited November 1
    Luctor wrote: »
    First season started with Cambridge United in the EFL League Two.

Right now it's half November and I'm at the top of the league. Just been eliminated of the Carabao Cup in the quarter final against Fulham. Trying to lose some games to end the season mid table as stated by the board.

Why would you want to end the season mid table? The boards expectations are only the minimum expectations.

• Cooler08 wrote: »

Why would you want to end the season mid table? The boards expectations are only the minimum expectations.

I don't want to promote in my first season. But even trying to lose isn't that easy. 😂
  • bradymcbrady_2
    46 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited November 2
    I'm playing as Dortmund, in my first season. Involved in a very close title race with Leipzig, Bremen and Schalke. Bayern are off the mark in mid table and seem to be drawing most games.

Got knocked out the group stages in the CL. Club Brugge did the double over us with 4-2 and 3-0 wins! Beat Athletico at home but they beat us 4-0 away :(

The board were really happy with me giving me a 92 rating until the CL exit. Now it's down to 75. Hit all the financial objectives and have promoted 4 youth players to the senior team including the future star Krystof Dabrowski (79-94 potential).

Signed Josef Martinez in January for about 25 million. Sent Alcacer back to Barcelona as he was doing nothing for the team.

Signed David Junca from Celta and sold Schmelzer after he scored the most epic own goal ever in the CL (A 30 yard 'pass' back to the keeper).

• DanielA-NUFC
    Cooler08 wrote: »

I don't want to promote in my first season. But even trying to lose isn't that easy. 😂

Why dont you want to get promoted right away? Isnt that the whole point? 🤔
  • Luctor wrote: »

I like to take it slow. And it's not realistic for Cambridge United to get promoted. The last couple of years they ended mid-table (between 9 en 12). So if I can do a bit better in my first year than that, I'm happy.
  • Steffolovitch
    64 posts Park Captain

I like to take it slow. And it's not realistic for Cambridge United to get promoted. The last couple of years they ended mid-table (between 9 en 12). So if I can do a bit better in my first year than that, I'm happy.

I get your point. Sometimes it just goes too fast. I played a career with Danish side Brøndby and wanted to qualify for the Europa League, but all of a sudden I was in the Champions League and won the group stage with Barcelona being second, even though I lost 4-0 away. But what bothered me the most was Messi watching both games from the bench...
  • Steffolovitch
    64 posts Park Captain
    edited December 4
    Hey guys, thought I’d make a thread about this as some people may want to talk about their career modes they are doing but not good at the graphics and stuff for the story thread (myself included).

So fire away, who is your current career with? How are you doing? Best player you’ve bought? Any hidden gems? 😀

Looking forward to hearing about all your careers

This thread is a great idea. I wonder if someone still reads it.

Today, after the latest addition of new starheads, I have FINALLY started my Manchester United career. I anticipated that Ryan Sessegnons face would be added in the November update, so I have waited until now to begin with it, since I wanted Ryan to - in time - play similarly to another Ryan (Giggs) on the left flank. And I wanted the updated version of him first.

So, I have started with a closed transfer window, so there are not any transfers to write about yet. Now it is December 1st 2018, and I am currently 12th in the Premier League. I simulated every league game until October 2018 to "pretend" Mourinho was fired then, before the new manager, Leonardo Jardim, would take over and make things right. Actually, United was in the relegation zone, when he took over, and now they are firmly climbing the table.

Most of my games have been quite even actually, with a 2-1 comebackwin at home vs Everton and other results like that. A few draws, a loss. However, Chelsea on Stamford Bridge on October 20th was spectacular and quite a turnaround from the poor beginning of the season. The match started with the commentators talking about my team being the least scoring team in the league. Ouch. But that was about to change. I lined up in 4-4-2:
    De Gea - Valencia, Smalling, Lindelöf, Shaw - Lingard, Herrera, Pogba, Alexis - Lukaku, Martial.

At first, Martial gave me the lead, when Lukaku played him deep behind Christensen, who was too slow to follow. Later, Alexis scored to 2-0 after a one-two with Martial in the left side of the box. Then Lukaku finally scored his first league goal of the season, when he outjumped David Luiz and headed Valencias brilliant cross in the net. Few minutes later he also converted a low cross from Martial with his left foot in an open goal to make it 4-0. After the break, Martial scored again, when alone with the keeper, his fifth league goal of the season. Shortly after that he was substituted with Rashford, who beat Christensen to a loose ball in the box and scored his first league goal of the season. In the last minutes of the game, Herrera tried a long shot from outside the box after a terrible clearance, and his hard shot went in to the low left corner of the goal, with Kepa not being anywhere near it. The match stats said 10 shots, 7 on goal, and 7-0 on the scoreline. (Take note that I did not change the difficulty for the game, it just seemed easier than usual, and everything went in.)

After that game, I actually received an offer from Chelsea, who wanted to buy Phil Jones. I accepted the offer, and after seeing the horrendous displays of David Luiz and Christensen at Stamford Bridge, I think he would actually be a fine addition to them. Now, in December, they are also placed 19th in the league, in great danger of being relegated, so perhaps Jones will slide directly into the their starting lineup, when he arrives in January. Manchester City are leading the table, with Spurs second and Arsenal third. Liverpool are also struggling, currently in 14th place.

In the Champions League I have won 3-0 in both games against Young Boys, the first with a Lukaku hattrick. I got a late 1-0 win at home against Valencia, but I only managed 1 point from two games against Juventus. That means I will qualify for the knockout stages with a draw in Valencia, and with 3 points I will actually win the group.

I have signed new deals with De Gea, Smalling, Herrera and Martial, along with a number of youngsters like Williams and Chong. Just like with Jones, I have also accepted offers for Romero, who will join Roma, Rojo, who will join Marseille, Matic, who will leave for Atletico Madrid, Fellaini, who will leave for Besiktas and Mata, who will join Arsenal. All of them will leave in a month, and then I will have some space in my squad for new arrivals.

Regarding potential signings, I want two promising youngsters to compete for the left wing; Alphonso Davies and Ryan Sessegnon. With Martial and Rashford competing for the spot in attack, Alexis needs competition for the left wing, until he leaves; I have already put him on the transfer list. I want Renato Sanches from Bayern to join as a backup to Pogba. His 86 stamina and 90 aggression will really benefit. I also want Tyler Adams from NY Red Bulls to join as a backup in both RB, RM and CM positions. He is young, cheap, fast and with high stamina (will join Leipzig in real life). Perhaps Pulisic as a RM to rotate with Lingard. His contract runs out in 2020, so he shouldn't be too expensive. A central defender will also be needed, but at the moment Smalling, Bailly and Lindelöf works fine for me, so perhaps I will try to find a reserve player, or perhaps I will bring Tuanzebe or Fosu-Mensah back from loan. With Romero gone, I will also bring either Joel Pereira or Dean Henderson back from loan.

Tomorrow I will play December 2018 and perhaps begin to make some transfers in January 2019. I will write more about my progress after the window.
    Post edited by Steffolovitch on
  • Steffolovitch
    64 posts Park Captain
    edited December 6
    Part 2 of my career with Manchester United:

So, after a great December with for instance a 1-1 draw at Anfield and a 1-0 win at home vs Arsenal, I finally made it into the top 4 of the league.

On January 1st I was going to play Newcastle away, and that was quite difficult, since I had just lost a lot of players, who had signed for other clubs during the fall. I was even forced to have Darmian on the bench! I was down 1-0 at the break after Ayoze's opener, and The Magpies were really on top of the game. However, suddenly during the second half, their defence fell apart for five minutes only, so in the 53rd, 56th and 58th minute, Martial scored three almost identical goals, all assisted with a deep low pass from Lukaku. That also made the frenchman the top scorer of the league with 13 goals - and Lukaku the top assister. Who would have thought that? The 3-1 win was also the first game since the 7-0 thrashing at Stamford Bridge in October, where I won with more than one goal. So even though I had climbed firmly up the table, all the games had been pretty tight.

Now, with so many players having left, I needed to bring new players in. Money was not an issue, since I had €300M in the transfer budget and €600K in the wage budget. I could sign practically anyone in the world with that money. However, even though I was able to sign Dybala, Fekir, Asensio etc., I wanted to continue with important roles to the players already doing well for me: Martial and Lukaku in attack, Pogba with either Fred or Herrera in midfield etc. So I was mainly looking for young players, who would fill in as reserves at first.

With Romero having left for Roma, I decided to bring back Joel Pereira from his loan deal. No need to buy new blood for that position, with both him and Henderson available. That gives me Pereira and Grant as reserves for De Gea, who is now 92 rated, while Henderson remains on loan at Sheffield United.

Phil Jones and Rojo had also left, for Chelsea and Marseille respectively, and I decided to replace them with only one player, who would work as a backup to Smalling, Bailly and Lindelöf, who had done quite well with the best defensive record in the league. I could also have signed Koulibaly or someone similar, but I did not want to send one of my best performers to the bench. Instead I ended up with a value-for-money signing in Ruben Vezo from Valencia. He was valued at €10,5M, but with only 18 months left of his contract I signed him for about €7M. Being a portuguese manager (Jardim), I also wanted some portuguese players in my team (apart from Joel Pereira and Dalot), which Jardim also had with Bernardo Silva and Rony Lopes at AS Monaco. With some training, I could also benefit from it, if I was appointed coach of the Portugal National Team some day. Forward thinking at its best.

Other value-for-money signings was MLS prospects Tyler Adams and Alphonso Davies, both with six months left of their contracts. Christian Pulisic and Ryan Sessegnon weren't expensive either, only having 18 months left at Dortmund and Fulham respectively. Having lost both Fellaini and Matic, I needed new blood to the central midfield, and I had so many great players to choose from with my exorbitant budget. However, once again I went for a backup, since the central midfield with Pogba and either Fred or Herrera worked greatly. I made pace, stamina and aggression my priority, and I chose Renato Sanches from Bayern, who have really good stats in these areas, bringing my number of portuguese players up to 4. Somehow I ended up with a player + cash deal that sent Darmian the other way. Still puzzling about how that came to pass.

To be honest, in real life it is quite unrealistic with six signings in a winter window. However, in FIFA, the winter window has proven to be the most opportune time to sign players on profitable deals, especially those who have 18 months remaining of their contracts. And since I had started without a transfer window in July/August, I just couldn't wait any longer to make investments in my team.

Even though I was quite satisfied with my preferred eleven, and my six new signings were all meant to be reserves at first, I did have the opportunity to send them all into action for the two January semi final fixtures in the Carabao Cup... Against Fleetwood Town! In the first game at Old Trafford I won 4-0 with Sessegnon, Pulisic and Renato Sanches all scoring on their debuts, and in the reverse fixture Sessegnon increased his Carabao Cup tally with the only goal of the game. Arsenal and Sheffield United drew 2-2 in their first leg, and I am still to see which of these team I will play in the final. Perhaps the underdog with loanee Henderson in goal?

However, just as I thought my transfer window was over, I received huge offers for two of my regular starters. I had already declined offers for Lindelöf (from Liverpool!) and Shaw, and Spurs even wanted to pay €94M for Lukaku, who was now 89 rated. Imagine him and Kane up front together! With Lukaku and Martials impressive form though, I didn't want to split them up. Icardi had also just signed for Bayern for a similar amount, so I also could not see, how I should have replaced him. But back to the two offers: At first, Ander Herrera was bought by Fenerbahce. They paid €28,5M for his signature, and with all of my signings so far being quite cheap, I decided to go for a top player for the CM position. Again, I chose a midfielder with great stats in pace, stamina and aggression, and I bought the €40M valued Corentin Tolisso for about €46,5M. Not the worst deal I could think of.

Then the unthinkable happened. Alexis Sánchez, who has perhaps been the worst signing ever for Manchester United in real life, but had done okay in the last few months of my career, was approached by ... wait for it ... Arsenal! And after a brief negotiation they even paid €67,5M for the now 85 rated winger! Considering Manchester City's purchase of Christian Eriksen for €75M at the same time, I really think Arsenal made a bad deal with the 30 year old. With Alexis leaving, I was in jeopardy whether I should just leave the left wing open for the teenagers Sessegnon and Davies, or if I should buy some quality for that position. I actually wanted a left footed player for the left flank, but on the other hand I was not quite satisfied with Rashford up front. Too many times he had squandered a one-on-one with the opposition keeper or a shot on open goal, so I decided to use him as a left midfielder instead and bring in a new quality striker. With the amount of 18, 19 and 20-year old players in my team, I decided to finally buy a 26 year old; the 82 rated former United player Wilfried Zaha. I think Zaha will work as a backup to Lukaku and Martial with Rashford on the wing, but it could also very well work the other way around, or with both in attack and Sessegnon or Pulisic starting on the left flank. Valued at €28M, I signed him for €36,5M, which I think was okay considering his remaining 4½ year contract at Selhurst Park.

So, with many youngsters out on loan, for instance Andreas Pereira reuniting with Romero at AS Roma and Angel Gomes loaned by Wolfsburg, hopefully doing a Nelson imitation, my squad for the second half of the season - with an average age of 24,15 years - is:

GK:
    1.De Gea, 92.
    13.Grant, 73.
    40.Pereira, 72.
    RB:
    25.Valencia, 80 (six months left of contract, then leaving for Dortmund).
    20.Dalot, 74.
    26.Adams, 74.
    CB:
    12.Smalling, 82.
    2.Lindelöf, 81.
    3.Bailly, 82.
    5.Vezo, 77.
    50.Poole, 64 (six months left of contract).
    LB:
    23.Shaw, 81.
    18.Young, 78 (six months left of contract).
    RM:
    14.Lingard, 83.
    22.Pulisic, 80.
    CM:
    6.Pogba, 89.
    16.Tolisso, 84.
    17.Fred, 83.
    8.Sanches, 77.
    39.McTominay, 72.
    LM:
    10.Rashford, 82.
    19.Sessegnon, 76.
    28.Davies, 73.
    ST:
    9.Lukaku, 89.
    11.Martial, 85.
    7.Zaha, 82.
    Post edited by Steffolovitch on
  • DanielA-NUFC
    @Steffolovitch no one seems to Read it anymore haha but thanks for contributing. That’s a lot of stuff happened. Like them signings especially Davies! He’s a great talent
  • Steffolovitch
    64 posts Park Captain
    edited December 7
    @Steffolovitch no one seems to Read it anymore haha but thanks for contributing. That’s a lot of stuff happened. Like them signings especially Davies! He’s a great talent

Yeah, he is, joining Bayern in January in real life. Very exciting player.

Hehe, I didn't expect anyone to read it. It is quite a long read too. But I enjoyed writing about it and have also considered writing in Career Mode Stories. I just don't have the time and the know-how to do all the graphics etc. I think, I will continue writing in this thread, though, if it is okay with you. Just a summary for every six months or so. It actually contributes to my gaming experience to write about my progress somewhere.
  • DanielA-NUFC
    Sure man that’s fine! That’s why I made this thread, as I used to love writing about my stories on football manager but you didn’t need graphics for that haha

Post away bro! Happy for that to happen I’ll give a low down on my current season later.
  • ShavyJc23
    60 posts Park Captain
    I'm managing Fulham, my 3rd season, just finished finished winning my 2nd EPL title and going on to play the champions league final VS Bayern Munich. I'm playing on ultimate difficulty, the game play is tense I can't lie, going to the last day of the season against Man City two seasons in a row is breath taken. Best player I've bought is Foden, his overall right now is 88, bought him first transfer window
  • Eddie
    692 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 9
    ShavyJc23 wrote: »
    I'm managing Fulham, my 3rd season, just finished finished winning my 2nd EPL title and going on to play the champions league final VS Bayern Munich. I'm playing on ultimate difficulty, the game play is tense I can't lie, going to the last day of the season against Man City two seasons in a row is breath taken. Best player I've bought is Foden, his overall right now is 88, bought him first transfer window

I’m glad you’re enjoying it but this is the problem with FIFA. This just shouldn’t happen and ruins the game IMO. Being able to win everything with practically any club is not rewarding and certainly isn’t realistic- especially if you’re playing legendary+ difficulty.

I want to game to be harder, not by turning the AI into superman with another difficulty increase...but how about coding the game to reflect real life results EA? The top teams constantly underperform. They score less goals than in real life and don’t get as many points.

Still, after years, the bigger clubs are easier to play against, don’t play full strength teams and simply don’t turn up for matches.

Scoring or winning trophies in this game has zero satisfaction, because you don’t have to work for it. I know if I start a CM with Aston Villa I’ll be PL champions and competing in the latter stages of the CL without really spending much, within the space of 3-4 years. This is boring frankly.

Have a bit of pride in your game and make some significant changes to CM EA. You’ve got away with not doing much for long enough now.

Can you feed back please @EA_Andy @EA_Cian