whats a must try formation?

ManyakFC
2063 posts Fans' Favourite
edited October 2018
been running 4-1-2-1-2(2) but clearly it isnt the best this year. so im looking to try out a new formation and new players.

what do you recommend and what players do you recommend also?

Comments

• Tof33z
    6006 posts Big Money Move
    433(2). Good offensively and fairly solid with a good cdm
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2018
    It is absolutely dirty as hell and I'm not proud of myself at all but I swapped to 4321 with fast build up, constant pressure and a narrow attack and it's ludicrously overpowered.

I've never played 4321 or high pressure in previous years, I've never been the sort of player that gets abuse for being sweaty, I typically prefer possession.

But I was getting majorly triggered how sloppy the passing is and how ridiculous the AI interceptions are that I threw my toys out the pram and went Full Klopp. It's been a complete turn around in my form.

I now can't keep a clean sheet to save my life but I'm bagging three or four a game and just out scoring people.

I should add, my full backs and midfielders are allowed to get forward and my defensive line is set to default so I'm not sitting and parking the bus, it's absolutely full on chaotic pressing in the opposition half. Not that that makes it much better but yanno.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    It is absolutely dirty as hell and I'm not proud of myself at all but I swapped to 4221 with fast build up, constant pressure and a narrow attack and it's ludicrously overpowered.

I've never played 4321 or high pressure in previous years, I've never been the sort of player that gets abuse for being sweaty, I typically prefer possession.

But I was getting majorly triggered how sloppy the passing is and how ridiculous the AI interceptions are that I threw my toys out the pram and went Full Klopp. It's been a complete turn around in my form.

I now can't keep a clean sheet to save my life but I'm bagging three or four a game and just out scoring people.

I'm one step away from adopting this all out attack approach. The game just penalises you the more you try and hold the ball it seems.
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2018
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    It is absolutely dirty as hell and I'm not proud of myself at all but I swapped to 4221 with fast build up, constant pressure and a narrow attack and it's ludicrously overpowered.

I'm one step away from adopting this all out attack approach. The game just penalises you the more you try and hold the ball it seems.

Yeah I normally like to play something like 4231 narrow with an agile cf style striker / false nine. Pass it around between what's ultimately four attacking mids until I spot a gap to get a through ball in and a shot away.

But the AI defence are just laser guided robot interception machines. I didn't like the over the top pass spam last year with the perfectly reliable 180 degree turn passes but this is way too far the other way.

Which is weird because they actually fixed the passing last year with a patch and toned it down a lot to a reasonable balance so I'm not sure why they tweaked it further.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »

Yeah I normally like to play something like 4231 narrow with an agile cf style striker / false nine. Pass it around between what's ultimately four attacking mids until I spot a gap to get a through ball in and a shot away.

But the AI defence are just laser guided robot interception machines. I didn't like the over the top pass spam last year with the perfectly reliable 180 degree turn passes but this is way too far the other way.

Which is weird because they actually fixed the passing last year with a patch and toned it down a lot to a reasonable balance so I'm not sure why they tweaked it further.

This is what triggers me. Every other 5 yard pass gets intercepted but you can play 50 yard 180 degree no look passes with a 27 passing CB no probs.
  • Carswell
    8096 posts League Winner
    4-4-1-1
  • Ryno
    6038 posts Big Money Move
    442(2)
  • ManyakFC
    Carswell wrote: »
    4-4-1-1

what team you rocking with that? feel like trying that formation tbh
  • Ginch goes u90
    157 posts Has Potential To Be Special
  • Carswell
    8096 posts League Winner
    ManyakFC wrote: »
    Carswell wrote: »
    4-4-1-1

what team you rocking with that? feel like trying that formation tbh

Costa
    Griezmann
    Lemar Saul Kondogbia Dembele
    Gaya Gimenez Godin Carvajal
    Oblak

I like it
  • Paciga45
    3533 posts National Call-Up
  • frozenslash
    2224 posts Fans' Favourite
    I like false 9, 442 and as stated above 4321 is pretty good in terms of attack. My go to formation was always 4231 either option but I feel they’re lacking way to much this year. You get penalised for trying to play football
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    I like false 9, 442 and as stated above 4321 is pretty good in terms of attack. My go to formation was always 4231 either option but I feel they’re lacking way to much this year. You get penalised for trying to play football

So true :(

The game is so heavily weighted towards counter attacking it’s really depressing
  • Finesse_4days
    6550 posts Big Money Move
    4222 is good with rapid wide cams like mertens who is very good, and solid cdms like fabiniho and allan who are a good combination.
  • Mmikey
    413 posts Sunday League Hero
    Normal 4-1-2-1-2

I can't believe not many use this. Works great.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
  • ILBOMBA
    1039 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    It is absolutely dirty as hell and I'm not proud of myself at all but I swapped to 4321 with fast build up, constant pressure and a narrow attack and it's ludicrously overpowered.

I should add, my full backs and midfielders are allowed to get forward and my defensive line is set to default so I'm not sitting and parking the bus, it's absolutely full on chaotic pressing in the opposition half. Not that that makes it much better but yanno.

couldn't agree more. same here. I always played possession. but that is not possible. so I switched to the dark side

4321, constant pressure, 3 brick walls in midfield and 3 90 pace strikers. works really well. I have all my front 3 set to aggressive interceptions and gib. the pressure is immense. klopps dream. goals galore. in the last 5 games I scored 26 goals. in my 433-2 I need 15 games to score 26.
  • LosBlancos
    917 posts Professional
    How would the false nine play with Messi conducting as sole team leader at CF
  • frozenslash
    LosBlancos wrote: »
    How would the false nine play with Messi conducting as sole team leader at CF

Sounds beautiful ❤️

• AjaxLegends
    1716 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    I like 4-4-1-1. Feels balanced and you can play 'beautiful' football with it in my opinion.
  • ManyakFC
    I like 4-4-1-1. Feels balanced and you can play 'beautiful' football with it in my opinion.

which CMs and CF and wingers do u recommend?
  • Chubbs
    14226 posts Has That Special Something
    4231 narrow for me. I can't use any formation without two CDMs. Helps guard the 1/2s that's people spam.
  • frozenslash
    Chubbs wrote: »
    . Helps guard the 1/2s that's people spam.

I feel personally attacked
  • ManyakFC
    f1af2e763339de735f8cdd4eedf6ed12.jpg would this work?
  • Matnevesbra
    1099 posts Professional

How is cannavaro? Im looking for an icon cb around 700k. Cannavaro, baresi and moore got me in a doubt
  • AjaxLegends
    1716 posts Play-Off Hero

I use POTM Lucas and Lemar as the wingers. Think you can use all wingers with 4 star skills and preferably a good weak foot too (Lemar has 2 star weak foot I think, but I learned to coop with it because I like him IRL). I have IF Payet (untradeable) as the CF and he is really good. Got Fekir at striker for the links and he is really good too. Would also make a great CF. As CM's I have Kondogbia (recommended) and Paulinho (untradeable). I like their partnership although a true CDM at one of the spots would work great too. I always have trouble against Fabinho. System works great for me. There is just a lot you can do with the system so not every game is the same. It's not meta at all, but I play for fun.
  • ManyakFC

I use POTM Lucas and Lemar as the wingers. Think you can use all wingers with 4 star skills and preferably a good weak foot too (Lemar has 2 star weak foot I think, but I learned to coop with it because I like him IRL). I have IF Payet (untradeable) as the CF and he is really good. Got Fekir at striker for the links and he is really good too. Would also make a great CF. As CM's I have Kondogbia (recommended) and Paulinho (untradeable). I like their partnership although a true CDM at one of the spots would work great too. I always have trouble against Fabinho. System works great for me. There is just a lot you can do with the system so not every game is the same. It's not meta at all, but I play for fun.

fair enough, think the team above would work? any tactics you can recommend?
  • AjaxLegends
    1716 posts Play-Off Hero

Yes should work awesome. Griezmann would make a great CF and Crespo a great striker in that system (can do it all). Midfield looks good too with Matuidi as the one who stays back and Pogba who bombs forward and has strength to boss the midfield. How is Salah? Can he do a decent cross or shot when cutting inside with his weak foot?
  • ManyakFC

Yes should work awesome. Griezmann would make a great CF and Crespo a great striker in that system (can do it all). Midfield looks good too with Matuidi as the one who stays back and Pogba who bombs forward and has strength to boss the midfield. How is Salah? Can he do a decent cross or shot when cutting inside with his weak foot?

tbh havent used most of these player, i think salah would only be able to finnesse, but like other than salah dunno who can play that RM spot that would be good.. dembele? mbappe? feel like mbappe would be wasted there though and finesse shots seem to work more i think
  • AjaxLegends
    1716 posts Play-Off Hero

tbh havent used most of these player, i think salah would only be able to finnesse, but like other than salah dunno who can play that RM spot that would be good.. dembele? mbappe? feel like mbappe would be wasted there though and finesse shots seem to work more i think

Played with loan Mbappe and Salah and prefer Mbappe by a margin from the right. I did like Salah from the left as a sub. I just don't get in the position to finesse from the wings (get blocked way too easily). I did like Dembele, had him before Lucas. But all depending on playing style of course.