Honestly, does this game get better with better players?

FlyingOkapis
863 posts Semi-Pro
edited October 2018
I got a team;

Handanovic
OTW Cancelo
Manolas
Skriniar
Kolorov
Sergej
Parolo
Hamsik
Mertins
Perisic
Icardi

Ive tried loads of different formations and saving for an improved squad but is it even worth it?

At the moment I'm finding the game quite dull and a bit of a chore coming up against the same old styles of play, also players like Bailly, Jesus etc seem 10x better than any player I've used, Bailly and Sanchez seem like a brick wall!

Will the likes of Messi and Suarez really help?

Comments

• Roobar
    537 posts An Exciting Prospect
    honestly ... no, it's the design of the game to make you want more, so you save and save then finally buy your icon, for 10-20 games he's amazing then it all feels same old again.

I've played WL league with teams of icons and pogba etc and i've sold everything and tried budget fun teams the reality is it doesn't help a huge amount although some of the top price cards do have a bit of magic that can be fun but overall you aren't going to update your team and suddenly do a lot better.

Sadly it's the downfall of ultimate team, but also it keeps it somewhat balanced I guess.
  • Well that sucks, at this moment I wish I didnt drop money on fifa points at the start, its honestly the only reason I believe I'm still playing as well as making coins to improve the squad..

Disappointing if the game is still gonna be a drag.
  • CharlieC
    5615 posts Big Money Move
    Until last week I was using a high value team and a low value fitness team. I didn’t notice any difference in results, in fact I feel my lower rated team probably did slightly better. Bearing in mind I’m playing people at the same skill level for each team, I find that interesting.
  • Recoba
    3340 posts National Call-Up
    Sell and go PL
  • Recoba wrote: »
    Sell and go PL

I would easily have around 1.5mil, I might sell tonight and just get a cheap OP premier league team and see the difference!
  • ICUP
    3893 posts National Call-Up
    CharlieC wrote: »
    Until last week I was using a high value team and a low value fitness team. I didn’t notice any difference in results, in fact I feel my lower rated team probably did slightly better. Bearing in mind I’m playing people at the same skill level for each team, I find that interesting.

My 15k serie a team put pressure on s 700k team, if it wasn’t for the trash player switching game would have finished 4-4.

Also timed shooting is OP tried it for 10 games and it’s beyond stupid, sane scoring bangers with his right foot
  • ICUP wrote: »

My 15k serie a team put pressure on s 700k team, if it wasn’t for the trash player switching game would have finished 4-4.

Also timed shooting is OP tried it for 10 games and it’s beyond stupid, sane scoring bangers with his right foot

Is timed shooting the way forward these days? Havent even bothered with it but you can kinda tell when its being used against you..

When is the best time to sell? Do I wait til thurs/fri?
  • greif44
    2138 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mate, you have a very good team. Looks like you do something wrong.
    This year most players play according to their ratings, but don`t expect to win only because you have better players than your opponent.
  • ICUP
    3893 posts National Call-Up
    ICUP wrote: »

Is timed shooting the way forward these days? Havent even bothered with it but you can kinda tell when its being used against you..

When is the best time to sell? Do I wait til thurs/fri?

Certain situations yeah, but 100% op with finesse shots.

Not sure about selling tbh, sitting on my 2 mil coins till Black Friday because these current prices are ridiculous.
  • Stejens
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I got a team full of the best BPL players, Flashback Juanfran with an iconic defender and Petit in midfield. I STILL get my **** kicked by 30k squads in Div 5. They do me by 5.
    I use a cheap squad to mess about with and I get no difference in results, win some, get thrashed some, same as the legend team, no difference.
  • greif44 wrote: »
    Mate, you have a very good team. Looks like you do something wrong.
    This year most players play according to their ratings, but don`t expect to win only because you have better players than your opponent.

No I dont expect to win, I imagine I'm doing a lot wrong BUT if there is minimal difference between my apparent 450k squad vs a 125k (futbin) then I'd be better off with the PL OP'ness right now til prices come down no?

PL squad;

Leno
    Robertson
    Bailly
    Luiz
    Aurier
    Fred
    Barkley
    Mkhi
    Jesus
    Lingaard
    Lacazette

That is a list of players who seem to make an impact in most games, only costs like 125k in comparison.
  • Stejens wrote: »
    I got a team full of the best BPL players, Flashback Juanfran with an iconic defender and Petit in midfield. I STILL get my **** kicked by 30k squads in Div 5. They do me by 5.
    I use a cheap squad to mess about with and I get no difference in results, win some, get thrashed some, same as the legend team, no difference.

This is a huge turn off to even bothering with the game lol
  • Jonachasingirls
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I can't even get close to make a timed shot they block in front and one dude is kicking me in the back, it's soo infurienting the 30 peace defenders catch and outrun my freaking Dybala Soo easily , man snndnddndndnzjbdbf
  • My goal for this year was to buy Messi, I played a lot of H2H last year, Messi the main man, had a record of around 80wins 10 Losses ans few draws etc, obviously must be easier im h2h but I'm wondering if I should even bother getting Messi if hes gonna make no difference when it matters.
  • nextqprmanager
    3255 posts National Call-Up
    Just play with Players` you enjoy
    If the game was just getting the best , say icon Team, then, it would make sense for us all to put in cash at the start, then .............. game over
  • Just play with Players` you enjoy
    If the game was just getting the best , say icon Team, then, it would make sense for us all to put in cash at the start, then .............. game over

Im trying, but need coins to get to that point!
  • protzbischof
    2695 posts Fans' Favourite
    no
  • Jonachasingirls
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    My goal for this year was to buy Messi, I played a lot of H2H last year, Messi the main man, had a record of around 80wins 10 Losses ans few draws etc, obviously must be easier im h2h but I'm wondering if I should even bother getting Messi if hes gonna make no difference when it matters.

Maybe he could make a lil difference but it's uncertain ,at least the finesse shots are kinda op now, you could've an edge there
  • Stejens
    I had good pack luck, already had Roberto Carlos and best BPL players. Then I did Hazard Sbc so got him, opened the packs and out popped CR7...so now I have 4 legends and a god of a team. Still get thrashed and have same results with a 100k team haha.
  • opasni_
    3651 posts National Call-Up
    No man, you will feel same even with Icons, part of it because we get bored with same players quickly (average player plays 50 games a week).

In previous FIFAs there was not that much grinding meaning you didn't get bored so quickly.
  • Stejens
    But it is true that you have more fun with players you enjoy. And thus probably a better mentality to win games with them.
  • opasni_
    3651 posts National Call-Up
    Stejens wrote: »
    But it is true that you have more fun with players you enjoy. And thus probably a better mentality to win games with them.

You eventually get bored...I love Belotti but can't imagine to play more than like 300 games with him, especially because he is powerful but nowhere near elite player level...so I will soon move to elite players.
  • bigpokey24
    4777 posts Big Money Move
    Guys better players are not on the same level with cheap players... had an experiment this past weekend league... once you use the likes of modric, vidal, pogba ..etc controlling your midfield compared to the likes of Henderson, ...you will see thevlight
  • Stejens
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    Guys better players are not on the same level with cheap players... had an experiment this past weekend league... once you use the likes of modric, vidal, pogba ..etc controlling your midfield compared to the likes of Henderson, ...you will see thevlight

But I always thought Henderson was amazing?

Don't rate Pogba though, shots are rubbish too. I can have any midfield I want and Pogba won't be in it.

• DrWorm
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect
    i
    Roobar wrote: »
    honestly ... no, it's the design of the game to make you want more, so you save and save then finally buy your icon, for 10-20 games he's amazing then it all feels same old again.

I've played WL league with teams of icons and pogba etc and i've sold everything and tried budget fun teams the reality is it doesn't help a huge amount although some of the top price cards do have a bit of magic that can be fun but overall you aren't going to update your team and suddenly do a lot better.

Sadly it's the downfall of ultimate team, but also it keeps it somewhat balanced I guess.

yeah i agree with this assessment.

quick story. Last game of WL i had no where to go in standings so i wanted to give the game away. Used squad builder to create a bronze squad and added icardi and gomez to have some fun. long story short my bronze goalie played out of this world and his players played horribly. i missed late penalty on purpose and let him score game winning goal for a 3-2 win otherwise i would have won with a bronze squad and im not good enough to win with a bronze squad.

as said above, the way its designed is geared towards frustrating players so they buy more packs.
  • Psyke
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It's a little bit of everything.

I think the some high rated cards really make difference, but dont expect too much of them. ( I didn't try Icardi but Immobile is really good)

Also there is stupid "low" OP rated players in this game (Son, Jesus, DA for example) they play much better than the rated suggest.

From what i learn on this game, I just keep change the team until i feel it's working, and after that i really dont like to change any more piece in the team. (you may try some upgrades but most of time the team just don't play better after you do it)

Idk which formation are you running but I also think you should run at least one defensive midfielder and a better lb. (Allan, Telles; use Miranda for chem for example)