WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• EricVanDerek
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It's nothing to some people but to me it's bloody hard :D
    Ladies, gentlemen and dark creatures of the night, the search is over - we have our thread motto :)

The rage, frustration, heart-break and very occasional unbridled joy - for what may seem to others like a pathetic end result - we all know what you're going through.

As a community we rejoice with those who've attained previously only dreamt-of heights (@bantermarc11 & @Mr_Matchup1 we're looking at you - congrats)

But we also mourn for those who've suffered lag, dc, cruel last-minute equalisers (and we all know where that's gonna end up...) and the ridiculous events that cause us to scream out: "**** that's **** NOT **** **** FAIR ****!!!" (expletives deleted for decency) (that's pretty much all of us)

And @Crazymundo - we're confused - do we celebrate or cry with you?!? We'll do both at the same time, and end up a snotty mess...

Thanks for all your tales from another weekend of "bloody hardness" - here's hoping the rewards are worth the pain.

And @wayneyb1980 - come on man (I'm making the assumption you're a man given your name, but please don't be offended if you're not...), don't leave us in suspense: did you make it to G3 this week or not?!?
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    got to 20-9 for the 3rd week in a row

Played the last game just for the 400 DR points , i was going to throw the game anyway because the win was pointless for me but i basically beat him 4-1 and let him tackle my GK 4 times to win 5-4
  • EricVanDerek
    As for me, I knew I was in for a tough time this WL when this happened to my keeper in the second game

SNIPER !!!

(and yes - that is Jesus finishing from an impossible angle with his 3* weak foot...)

I realised the FIFA Gods weren't so much not on my side, but had murdered my five children with a corner-flag and run off with my wife... (all in the last minute, naturally)

Somehow I fought on, and by Saturday night found myself at 8-7.

But when I picked up again on Sunday night the wheels came off, and with it the suspension, gearbox, doors etc - it was like the Ant Hill Mob plays FIFA... I won 1 of 8 really tight games, including 2 penalty losses and 2 last minute losses, and with tiredness kicking in I thought I'd blown it.

But thankfully I pulled it together for long enough to win two of the next three (both pre-half time disconnections, being 3-0 up), and made it to Silver 1 again. I still had a few games left, but I was too tired to push for G3.

Next time, amigos, next time...
  • Henbo
    40 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Hey Guys, that was my first ever WL.
    Managed to reach silver 1 and had 5 games left.

I played a few games Friday morning. Gameplay was nice and fluent, faced stacked teams with icons, CR7's etc but it was fun.
    Result 5-6

Saturday wasn't fun at all. My opponents were not better than me but I just couldn't win. Gameplay was like hell. A real Lagfestival. My players had apparently forgotten what football actually is.
    Result 1-5

Sunday the gmeplay was excellent again and I played up to 11 wins.
    Result 5-3

So altogether 11-14 which is ok for the first time WL :smile:

What have I learned?
    - Don't play on Saturdays anymore
    - yelling at the Refs can help
    - Don't play angry
    - Some beers can help, but then you get worse :wink:

I played with this team:

Screenshot-2018-11-12-14-42-28-kindlephoto-244232104.jpg

I hope the link is working, sry if its not!

If the players prices keep falling a little further I can pull the trigger and use a few new players.

The next WL can come :)
  • EricVanDerek
    @Henbo Welcome, you complete WL virgin you!

Thanks for sharing - Silver 1 is a very decent result for your first WL, particularly with (dare I say it) that team... Do pay us a visit again soon and let us know how you've upgraded your team and how you get on in your next WL adventure...
  • wayneyb1980
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    Finished S1

Had an absolute nightmare Sunday night.

From a start point of 8-4 I finished 11-15 including am unbelievable 9 game losing streak, my team were playing that bad I honestly thought something was wrong with my controller as my players just werent responding

A combination of tiredness and the worst Fifa luck i've experienced in a long time - you jusk 'know' when you aren't going to win!!

We go again next week!!
  • lastfifa
    1593 posts Play-Off Hero
    My second wl got me to G3 again. It was nice as my goal is silver 1. Only this time i had to play 30 games.

Started decent...

Friday 10 games 5/5.
    Saturday 10 games 5/5
    Sunday morning 3 games 3/0

So only needed one win from last 7 games.
    Started playing after city - united game and it was horrible. Don't know what happened but everything was against me.. gave away penalties. Missed easy chances, was hitting the posts and bars. Conceded last minute goals. It was nightmare.

Last game was pretty easy but once again i was missing every open chance. Managed some way to score one goal to take the lead.. only to consede ai penalty in 89 minute. Was lucky to save that and score one more on the counter attack after save.

These teams i used this weekend.

Team 1
    https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1818064

Team 2
    https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1818228

Now i have two weeks to next wl. So once again will hope to make some coins to upgrade team.

Plans are..

Rttf Alonso in - if Chilwell out
    Rttf Telles in - Dalbert out
    Ucl Miranda in - scream Caseres out
    Rttf Florenzi in - otw Vrsalko out.
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Crazymundo wrote: »
    Done it.....reached the 11 wins with 5 matches to spare. If got time later will see about going for 14.

The games weren’t pretty in fact downright ugly if I’m honest but managed to grind it out.

LESSON LEARNED

Don’t play angry. After a painful defeat put the controller down, put the kettle on and relax.

Stop shouting at the FIFA19 referee....he can’t hear u

Practise penalties....lost 6 penalty shootouts and won none......is there a secret way to take them if so please let me know

Finally remember it’s just a game and meant to be played for enjoyment.

For the rest of u still slugging it out...keep believing...

@Crazymundo There is a trick with pens. The player taking the penalty turns his head towards the way you're aiming. Then towards the end of the run up he has another look. The trick is to switch where you're aiming the penalty after the 2nd look. It's pretty late in the run up so need to be quick. I normally aim at a corner and then switch it to straight down the middle.

Practise on skill games (with the arrow and then without) until you have it nailed down. Also any half decent player will realise what you're doing after a couple of pens so remember to switch it up in shootouts.
  • eddopoolfc
    359 posts Sunday League Hero
    my serie a team i'm attacking WL with.

I know he's not serie a, but I was thinking of switching Ghoulam with Telles as I've got the Allan link in the midfield. Can't afford to get Sandro, i'm waiting until the BF crash is on until getting him.

weekend-league.png
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    @eddopoolfc go for telles mate
  • eddopoolfc
    @eddopoolfc go for telles mate

Massive thx, went and got him with the 28k in coins I had, bought him for 13k. Opened 2 random 7.5k packs and 2nd pack I packed Dybala. yikes. pack luck changed in an instance.

dybala.png

I want to aim for gold 3 now without being greedy now.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2185 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2018
    Should get a bit more game time this week after my 4 wins last weekend. I've switched my team up a bit 442 (2) seemed to be a bit predictable in attack and, as most of my goals come from the wingers, I'm trying this:

Screenshot-20181115-131540.png
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Right troops......

Hope everybody suited and booted for this WL assault. The bruises have healed and the tears have dried. Squad has been upgraded and confidence is high.

Time unfortunately will be my toughest oppenent this weekend but will play as much as my wife lets me.....

Just a message to u newbies (how many WL does it take move from newbie to seasoned?) that I hope that your servers stay strong and luck is your friend.

Keep believing.....

Side note....
    @kayron16 .....thanks for the penalty tips. Will spend a bit of time practising. If I can turn of penalty losses into victories would make a world of difference
  • Owler
    20 posts Ball Boy
    Nicely said may the EA odds be forever in your favour....except if we meet 😉.

After two previous WL reward picks of no note I get to try and squeeze the little magician in this weekend alongside a newly acquired Scholes....let’s hope they strike up a bromance....

Good luck all
  • EricVanDerek
    Yep, it's time to gird the loins (and the lions if you're so inclined) and prepare for battle once again. But not Squad Battles, because that's a whole different thing...
    Wait.
    Let's start again...

Good luck all.

Griezmann has been unceremoniously dumped from my team after only a week. He was good, but he kept dropping into midfield (even with a "stay forward" instruction), and wasn't that strong on the ball. I've splashed the cash on Suarez, and whilst he's only had a couple of friendlies so far, I've been very impressed - strong (helpful for coping with the rough tactics everyone seems to employ), gets in good positions and is lethal off either foot. The only question is whether I'll be able to give him enough chances to make a difference...

@Crazymundo Who's your big money signing this week? Did I miss the news conference / unveiling (where they try to do keepy-uppies, fail, and all the fans realise he's going to be an utter flop) ?!?

@owler who's the "little magician" - Dynamo?
    I can't imagine he'd be much good as a hard-tackling enforcer in midfield (which is surely what you'd need next to Scholesy), but what do I know... :)
    (I was going to reference Paul Daniels, but realised that would be lost on everyone...)
  • eddopoolfc
    Going to upgrade the NIF Telles into the UCL Live card.
    His NIF is amazing, and Porto are through the knockout stages so he'll be 87 rated min
  • Owler
    20 posts Ball Boy
    @EricVanDerek ‘el mago’ nee David Silva not really tough tackling!

I have Fernandinho to help Scholes work on his tackling but it’s fair to say I have a penchant for attacking players. Just have to play the Man U way of old on the basis ‘we’ll score more than you’.....if only Mourinho could remember 🙈
  • iRusty_yo
    3854 posts National Call-Up
    Right troops......

Hope everybody suited and booted for this WL assault. The bruises have healed and the tears have dried. Squad has been upgraded and confidence is high.

Time unfortunately will be my toughest oppenent this weekend but will play as much as my wife lets me.....

Just a message to u newbies (how many WL does it take move from newbie to seasoned?) that I hope that your servers stay strong and luck is your friend.

Keep believing.....

Side note....
    @kayron16 .....thanks for the penalty tips. Will spend a bit of time practising. If I can turn of penalty losses into victories would make a world of difference

Extremely poetic
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    @EricVanDerek
    Done the Milikovic Slavic SBC so got him and Naingollan patrolling the midfield - the orders are simple - if it moves kick it......if it doesn’t move kick it till it moves. I’ve been feeding them cow pies and spinach (so they both now have the combined powers of Desparate Dan and Popeye).So anticipating one or two red cards over the course of the weekend.

Also got IF Insigne for a bit of class.......
  • Alexrb89
    3421 posts National Call-Up
    @EricVanDerek
    Done the Milikovic Slavic SBC so got him and Naingollan patrolling the midfield - the orders are simple - if it moves kick it......if it doesn’t move kick it till it moves. I’ve been feeding them cow pies and spinach (so they both now have the combined powers of Desparate Dan and Popeye).So anticipating one or two red cards over the course of the weekend.

Also got IF Insigne for a bit of class.......

Haha my dad used to have loads of desperate dan comics lying around when I was a kid, mums steak and kidney pie is still called ‘cow pie’ to this day within the family. I’m not sure many would remember or even know about desperate dan on the forums.
  • EricVanDerek
    Splendid - we've got @owler and @Crazymundo with their two different approaches to "controlling the midfield". Would pay good money (note: not really) to see the two of you battle it out.

(personally I'm more in the owler camp - my only problem is that I can't score, so the plan is a bit flawed... )
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4219 posts National Call-Up
    Screenshot-20181115-233156.jpg
    Made a few additions to my squad let's see how I get on this week :p
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4219 posts National Call-Up
    Screenshot-20181115-233156.jpg
    Made a few additions to my squad let's see how I get on this week :p

I must add that I had a quite ridiculous pack luck this week, I've not gone mad and spent my life savings on packs :D

I opened a 45k pack and out walks Mario IF , not bad I thought to my self .
    Goes to the next screen and Messi is sitting there in the pack (mouth hits the floor )
    Next day the Alonso SBC comes out with a 100k pack reward . Why not I thought opened pack and romangoli walks out (solid return) full pack reveals and it contains bale , Alex sandro and Valencia.
    So a nice 1.4 million from 2 packs :D
    Unfortunately I'm still no better at the game lol
  • padr81
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The hour is approaching. Gave my defence a massive upgrade so now my refusal to select my defenders and letting the AI to the work should be better than ever.

Will be hitting WL with this squad.
    https://easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/?showoffId=fQeOXJh1nOMKu:FFA19PS4

• made some serious upgrades to the team
    POTM Auba
    RTTF Mkhi Fabinho
    POTM Hazard Neymar
    Pogba
    RTTF Alonso UCL Laporte Thiago Silva Meunier
    Areola

Will probably play this weekend with the 4231 narrow... hopefully these upgrades push me into gold 3 but really struggled with the latest patch
  • GreenArmyXI
    21 posts Last Pick at the Park
    So l could of played WL sooner. I just honestly couldn’t be bothered.

I’m in div 5 sitting around the 1300 mark with an 84 rated squad. I am someone who tends to be very average. I make catastrophic defence mistakes. Rolling the ball out of defence with my GK then leaving myself exposed to the 2-1 constant pressure tap in.

The thing is sure l could change my play style. Use over powered side foots from the edge of the D, or even get more crosses into the box and maybe look for more near post corners routines. The thing is it bores me if that’s the way l have to win constantly. Sure if it happens in a game then so be it but to try and repeat that style to win game after game is just not for me.

I mean l know it’s all about the “records” or “win ratio” but for me if lm playing for a number of hours l wanna at least try and win in a fun way. Try some skills moves I’ve yet to master for example. I mean l could just stick 3 up front, stick two pacey wingers in the corner and run like hell exposing the game mechanics weakness with full backs.

So as l have avoided WL for the past 18 months knowing how it’s a win at all cost mentality l decided to dip my toe into it again. I will be an “easy” win for some as l will adapt but not make wholesale changes to my gameplay style just so people can’t use broken game mechanics.

I look at it and find it all abit baffling the way people’s minds work when playing FIFA. You might be a solid, good or even very good player but the fact people have to bronze bench, do 1st min subs etc...says your needing to exploit something that is badly broken in order to gain advantage and win. And what does a win get you? Satisfaction over someone who knows the game can be exploited. Brilliant. Maybe it gives people a joy but why? It’s like like your the best at FIFA. It’s not like you are proving your the best either because people are having to exploit as much as they can to gain than advantage. It’s not people’s skills levels that has created that ability for you but a number of exploiting cheats.

In my head it seemed a nonsense to play when there are so many flaws. Why bother put myself through 40 games (last year) and 30 (this year)? Do l want to be that sadistic to my brain?

Yet l’ve read this thread. Credit to the OP really. And thought back to my original belief of its only a game and l can control the fun l have in this game. Just play the way it makes it fun to you. Don’t expect anything in terms of rewards. Just play the game.

The OP has shown me that you don’t have to be like everyone else.

So l start later tonight .....
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    First WL this year. Wish me luck!
  • nextqprmanager
    3292 posts National Call-Up
    padr81 wrote: »
    The hour is approaching. Gave my defence a massive upgrade so now my refusal to select my defenders and letting the AI to the work should be better than ever.

Will be hitting WL with this squad.
    https://easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/?showoffId=fQeOXJh1nOMKu:FFA19PS4

That`s what I should be aiming for - 7 defenders !
    GL, I`m still with my La Liga Starter Teams !
  • nextqprmanager
    So l could of played WL sooner. I just honestly couldn’t be bothered.

I’m in div 5 sitting around the 1300 mark with an 84 rated squad. I am someone who tends to be very average. I make catastrophic defence mistakes. Rolling the ball out of defence with my GK then leaving myself exposed to the 2-1 constant pressure tap in.

The thing is sure l could change my play style. Use over powered side foots from the edge of the D, or even get more crosses into the box and maybe look for more near post corners routines. The thing is it bores me if that’s the way l have to win constantly. Sure if it happens in a game then so be it but to try and repeat that style to win game after game is just not for me.

I mean l know it’s all about the “records” or “win ratio” but for me if lm playing for a number of hours l wanna at least try and win in a fun way. Try some skills moves I’ve yet to master for example. I mean l could just stick 3 up front, stick two pacey wingers in the corner and run like hell exposing the game mechanics weakness with full backs.

So as l have avoided WL for the past 18 months knowing how it’s a win at all cost mentality l decided to dip my toe into it again. I will be an “easy” win for some as l will adapt but not make wholesale changes to my gameplay style just so people can’t use broken game mechanics.

I look at it and find it all abit baffling the way people’s minds work when playing FIFA. You might be a solid, good or even very good player but the fact people have to bronze bench, do 1st min subs etc...says your needing to exploit something that is badly broken in order to gain advantage and win. And what does a win get you? Satisfaction over someone who knows the game can be exploited. Brilliant. Maybe it gives people a joy but why? It’s like like your the best at FIFA. It’s not like you are proving your the best either because people are having to exploit as much as they can to gain than advantage. It’s not people’s skills levels that has created that ability for you but a number of exploiting cheats.

In my head it seemed a nonsense to play when there are so many flaws. Why bother put myself through 40 games (last year) and 30 (this year)? Do l want to be that sadistic to my brain?

Yet l’ve read this thread. Credit to the OP really. And thought back to my original belief of its only a game and l can control the fun l have in this game. Just play the way it makes it fun to you. Don’t expect anything in terms of rewards. Just play the game.

The OP has shown me that you don’t have to be like everyone else.

So l start later tonight .....

I get you - I do lose , my record probably 50/50, but I prefer good `nice` gameplay
    the thing is about your / our opponents is their record, prob vs their friends etc
    records dont matter, no-one really knows
    youtube conditions us ooohh 40/40 now 30/30 wins
    best to `try` to enjoy it, use the palyers` you like / adopt gameplay you like etc.
  • nextqprmanager
    DKCena wrote: »
    First WL this year. Wish me luck!

Good luck, its my third [ ever ]