WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Owler
    20 posts Ball Boy
    My 3rd visit to the WL after a week off last time. Started so bright with a couple of wins....I couldn’t have got better could I?!....nope brought back to earth with a seven loss streak 🙈 Take a breath regroup matchmaking kicks in find five wins far too emotional...
  • here we go yet again, after a solid week of fut rivals, I felt far better starting tonight but alas my team seemed to forget how to play the game nor even compute.
    for the 3rd time this year Ive gone 0-3 to start out... previous two times 0-4
    Did get the win to end today on 1-3, hoping I can get to gold 3 this week.
  • James2201
    414 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This is my third weekend and so far has been my toughest, I don’t normally play as many games on a Friday but had the evening to do so. I feel it’s harder on Fridays, could be just me though. Sunday’s so far have been where I have had most of my joy. I have played 13 games and won 5. My aim every weeks is 11 wins so fingers crossed I can get it
  • SteGriff83
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played 6 games this morning, won 3. Gameplay seemed quite smooth, was expecting lag all over after reading the regular complaints on this forum every week.
  • wayneyb1980
    384 posts Sunday League Hero
    Started my 2nd weekend league last night. Won my first 3 ranking games then traded a couple of losses and wins. Currently 4-2

Reached gold 3 last week so thats my minimum goal for this weekend
  • eddopoolfc
    367 posts Sunday League Hero
    Is anyone having matchmaking issues this weekend.
    seems like every team i'm coming against are god squads right now with Icons, Ronaldo etc...etc...
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4390 posts National Call-Up
    I'm struggling this week . The game seems horrible so slow and hard to dribble . I'm currently 6 wins from 20 games :D
  • Alexrb89
    3455 posts National Call-Up
    eddopoolfc wrote: »
    Is anyone having matchmaking issues this weekend.
    seems like every team i'm coming against are god squads right now with Icons, Ronaldo etc...etc...

I don’t think matchmaking takes into account what squads people have. It’s based on your current win/loss ratio. A terrible player can have a god squad for example, but it wouldn’t be fair for him to play against a pro player just because of his team.

• Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Half way through my 2nd WL adventure.

Currently P15 W6 L9.....4 of those losses were on penalty shoot-outs....

After lasts weeks glorious 11 wins I feel I am getting worse or others are getting better.

Upgraded my team with the acquisition of Nainggolan.....the guy is an animal....it looks like he has taken a line of Columbia’s marching powder before he takes the field.

Will resume my WL quest tomorrow...May the matchmaking Gods be kind to me.

What’s your opinion?
    Is it better to play your games on a Friday or wait till late on a Sunday when all the good players have gained their wins.
  • wayneyb1980
    Iv managed 11 games so far and am currently 7-4

Slightly better win ratio than this time last weekend where i pretty much maintained a 50/50 win loss record throughout

Hoping to get over the halfway stage tonight. Still on course for minimum gold 3 fingers crossed
  • 6-8 right now which seems like im doing better but finding it such a chore

need to get more games in today as there is so much good football on tv tomorrow
  • 6-8 right now which seems like im doing better but finding it such a chore

need to get more games in today as there is so much good football on tv tomorrow

since posting this lost another 3

All the garbage in this game but the last loss has truly triggered me
    I was winning 3-1... guy scores in the 92nd min to make it 3-2 but there is no time left. Next thing I know Ive been booted from the servers. First disconnection loss all fifa 19 and the first in a I honestly cant remember since I hard wired my ps4. Internet was fine and connected straight back into fifa.

7-10 looks so much better than 6 and 11 and leaves me a lot of work to do tomorrow to hit my minimum target of silver 1
  • Hori25
    202 posts Sunday League Hero
    im on 15 wins with 3 games left..
    need to win 2 out those 3!
  • Alexrb89
    3455 posts National Call-Up
    Hori25 wrote: »

I was in the same position but got kicked by lag in my last 2 games and bottled it
  • Hori25
    202 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alexrb89 wrote: »
    Hori25 wrote: »

I was in the same position but got kicked by lag in my last 2 games and bottled it

i just threw the games myself hehe.. but gold 3 is fine for me
  • Mr_Matchup1
    After being 6-14 I've managed to get it back to a more respectable 14-15 great end after such a dodgy start
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Done it.....reached the 11 wins with 5 matches to spare. If got time later will see about going for 14.

The games weren’t pretty in fact downright ugly if I’m honest but managed to grind it out.

LESSON LEARNED

Don’t play angry. After a painful defeat put the controller down, put the kettle on and relax.

Stop shouting at the FIFA19 referee....he can’t hear u

Practise penalties....lost 6 penalty shootouts and won none......is there a secret way to take them if so please let me know

Finally remember it’s just a game and meant to be played for enjoyment.

For the rest of u still slugging it out...keep believing...

• Currently at 8-9.

Not sure I'll have time / energy to fit in enough games to make it to Silver 1, which is frustrating given that I've been playing better than ever - helped by the fact that I packed Varane and Griezmann on Thursday and bought Bale on Sat morning.

Good luck all in your push for higher honours - may the match-making gods smile on you...
  • SteGriff83
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played 11, won 6. Too hungover from last nights boxing to venture on again tonight.
    Had some high scoring games, beat some stacked teams and smashed the living daylights out of the posts! Decent connection/smooth gameplay in almost every game. Depending on shifts will have another bash in a few weeks hopefully getting a higher amount of games in,
    Good luck to the rest of you for the last few hours
  • padr81
    124 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Figure I belong in this thread as opposed to the other one. Played WL for the first time ever last year, played 2 WL in total as I didn't have time, got 18 and 21 wins (the 21 being last WL of the year).

So this year I have time at the weekend and decided I'd give it a go all season if I could.
    Went 16,18,17,19 and back to 16 again.

This WL has been the least enjoyable for me by a long distance.
    Gameplay has been brutal for me. Played at peak time yesterday and went 1-8. 1 and 8 after normally going 8-2 or 8-3. So I decided to wait till middle of the night and quieter servers.

Went from 1-8 to 14 and 10. How is this even possible.
    Got up today (this was Saturday) to play my last 6 games and back to the usual server crap... Won two of the first three and felt sorry for my opponents, it was clear they knew what I was doing but their players wouldn't respond. Messaged both and they both said they had severe lag, I even said sorry to one guy his game was so bad, anyway ended up at 16 and 11.

Took a break and played my last three games there at peak time (0 wins, 3 losses) and my players wouldn't do a thing I pressed, at one stage I'm breaking down the wing with potm Lucas, press square to cross, he doesn't cross, defender takes the ball and a probably over a second later the input of square button happens and Lucas gets himself a red card. I swear the delay was well over a second.

So yeah, 16 and 14 for me, but feel like I got screwed by servers (as do many others I suppose). Went 13 and 2 when the game felt, unexplainable. Now I know I wouldn't go 13 and 2 without that initial poor form because I was playing lesser players but its completely not fair with the servers as they are.

16-14.

I also played this WL with a much weaker team than previous as I decided I'm only playing first owner cards for the entire year. Sold my squad (got 1m in coins spent it on packs.. got nothing back and now I'm broke lol).

Went from a back 5 of Ederson, Walker, Marquinhos, Rio, Telles to IF Pickford, CL Odriozola, Rio, CL Alderweireld and IF Chilwell (the later being absolute trash). IF Pickford is the worst keeper I've ever used by a country mile eve 78-80 rated keepers I've found better.

Back to the grind and greater challenge when I can't buy meta players but if I don't go mental and smash my control then it should be fun.
  • @padr81 Welcome. We feel your pain - even those of us who only rarely get screwed by the servers (thankfully I'm in that camp - I'd hate to think how utterly trash I'd be if I had to contend with button delay as well as personal crapness...)

This thread is open to all - a safe haven for any crap improving players who are dipping their toe into the shark-infested murky waters of the WL who'd like support, encouragement, advice or simply a place to rant to the high heavens... ;-)
  • padr81
    124 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @EricVanDerek - thanks buddy, guess being stuck in the back end of Ireland doesn't help but yeah.. I'll hang out here and hopefully learn with and from you guys as we all progress to mediocrity and hopefully better.
  • wayneyb1980
    Time to grind on WL for a few hours now.

Currently 8-4, target is 14 wins. Wish id not left it to Sunday evening but had a busy weekend
  • BanterMarc11
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Managed Gold 3 today for the first time
  • another week another silver 1 finish (11-13) I just cant bring myself to finish my games and push for gold 3
    finding the game frustrating, Im dominating games that I end up losing and dont really know what to do to take my game to the next level
    still bitter over that disconnect last night during a 6 game losing streak
  • Mr_Matchup1
    Managed Gold 3 today for the first time

Nice well done, got my first gold finish last week . It's nothing to some people but to me it's bloody hard :D
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Ohhhhhh this game like to tease u...

Last game and sitting on 13 wins....a personal best for me. Played was a tense 0-0 till the 91st minute and my Immobile hits the bar. Onto ET.... I managed to break the deadlock.....cue all hands at the pump....clearing shots of the line with my face.... thinking I’m there....I’ve done it....oh no....guys scores in 123rd minute.....and as what’s been the theme for the whole weekend....lose on penalties ( 17 losses in WL and 7 been on penalties).....honestly sometimes I think these games are scripted....

Can’t be too disappointed as 13 wins is my PB but feel that I’ll remember this WL as a case of what might have been......

I’ll give my team a couple of days off and then get them prep’d for the next weekend league assault....
  • nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2018
    Just finished to get the 11 wins in my second WL, my first WL I only played 8/9 matches.
    Bloudy hard slog esp when 2 out of last 3 ended with penalties, I was winning both matches.
    I just cant defend it seems!.
    I can defend in the skill games, but online??.
    Maybe time to change up my 2 starter La Liga teams??.
    I think I am the stage where I need some advice. I have these 2 starter / budget La Liga Teams & 670k atm -
    https://i.imgur.com/w6GkUdZ.png
    https://i.imgur.com/mBDEqmk.png
    I just got my 11 wins in WL in my only 2nd WL ever [ first one weeks ago just played 9 matches, 3 wins ], I am wondering how to upgrade?, do I get 1 Icon eg Butragueno? ; any good gems / cost-effective upgrades?,
    any suggestions please?, thanks
    Good luck to all.
    Post edited by nextqprmanager on
  • eddopoolfc
    367 posts Sunday League Hero
    3rd weekend finishing on Silver 2 this week.

gameplay has overall been dreadfully slow for me this weekend, just need to get the remaining 900pts needed to qualify for next weekend through rivals.
    really hope EA sort the gameplay speed out so it's at least consistent from one weekend, to another, but not holding my breath at all on that happening.

• raul7kiev
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    4th (G3, G3, G2) WL for me and most stressfull.
    I should have had at least 15 of my matches on friday and it hurt.
    Big delay, great opponents squads... extremly slow gameplay, 4 penalties from Marquinos in my goal, a lot of extra times and 5-10 at the end despite the fact that none of the rivals was really better than me. Absolute anger and lost 6 hours of time.
    Anothher 14 matches in sunday morning without delay with average opponent squads (several played really well) and 11-3 at the end with 4 rage quits no ET, no penalties from Marquinos.
    Unfortunately I had to pause and leave the last game for G2 for the evening and opponent squad was amazing with all possible special cards from Bundesliga (POTM Reus, Flashback Gotze, SIF Werner...). 1-1 after first half and 1-3 at the end. Finished 16-14 this WL and I am very disappointed with friday.

6 friday night-hours for 5 wins and 4 sunday morning-hours for 11 wins.

And I have the full feeling that night marathon (8 hours) of 28 matches last week on Monday was more pleasant even considering loss of concentration and fatigue