WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• EricVanDerek
    550 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I've only been able to get in a couple of short sessions so far this weekend, but hope to play some more on Monday.
    Started with a comfortable win and then at half time in my second game was 2-0 up and battering the oppo. Easy street...

But - as others in the forum have noticed - the game seems to like "dramatic moments" a bit too much, so second half everything went pear-shaped for me: my Chiellini was being out-muscled by Zaha, and a 10-minute hat-trick by IF Pato saw me shot down in flames.

Currently at 2-4 - two of those losses against very good players.

The aim is now 8 wins and Silver 1, but with only limited time to get it, I think I'll struggle...
  • tezmacfifa
    1665 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    I am glad I'm not the only newbie to WL. Strangely enough I enjoyed this weekend, which was my second go at WL ever (I am a returning player from a few years back)

Started really bad, then hit some form. Having a good team helps too, especially with someone like CR7 - he turned games I would usually lose in to wins.

I agree with the above, aim for silver to get that player pick. Anything more is a huge bonus.
    Post edited by tezmacfifa on
  • Crazymundo
    85 posts Park Captain
    Best of luck guys.....just remember everybody was a newbie at some point.

My WL is over and need to go to work tomorrow suffering from blistered thumbs and hopefully what isn’t the onset of piles.
  • I tend to hang out in the other weekend league chat but based on history I think this is only my 4th weekend league in the history of the competition.
    Played 2 in fifa 17, didnt bother in 18 and now back at it in 19
    First one got 12 wins which was a nice starting point.
    This weekend im currently 5-11 and absolutely frustrated with the game. Last two games on Sunday I played my best football, only for Neymar to miss a point blank chance to win it that he fired into the midriff of the goalie instead of anywhere but the net. Then the final game run into an inspired Ederson who pulled off insane save after save.
    14 games on Monday to play after work... would love to get 9 wins but will settle for getting 6 for silver 1
  • EricVanDerek
    I tend to hang out in the other weekend league chat

There's another WL chat?!? ;-)

I may be biased, but this one's friendlier, more supportive and some of us are so crap improving, you'll always come away realising you're not as average as you thought you were. Good luck getting to G1
  • EricVanDerek
    I've had a frustrating few games this evening - continually bullied and harried out of games.
    I expect that, but I very nearly hurled the controller at the TV on a couple of occasions:

- James Rodriguez (70 stamina) had been chasing manically around after me for the whole match, so when he pulled up injured in the 117' minute I thought: "at last...". Three minutes later he makes a lung-bursting run up the field to put away the winner...

- I thought that after the recent patch, refs appeared to be giving a few more fouls. Clearly not: in one match I was scythed down from behind, and the ref merrily waved play on. Have I mistakenly got the game on a "no fouls" setting?
  • Bigfootisblurry
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm going to try for two more wins tonight to get G3. I don't really see a difference between WL and rivals to be honest so may as well whilst it's still open.

Player picks were the worst thing to happen to me last week though, ripped my team up to fit in Aspas and Suso, along with an untradable Isco, and it was so much worse. Back to last week's team after 6 games and things picked up dramatically. Went from 2 - 4 to 12 - 7 yesterday.
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    I plan to have at least 12-15 games in sunday-morning, stood up with alarm clock at 6 a.m. (that 4a.m. CET) and... match-making was down. Only 2 games 1|1... sunday-party with my friends with pizza and board-games and... and now I can not understand how to play 28 games today after work or at least reach 11 wins for 2000 points for next WL.
  • eddopoolfc
    341 posts Sunday League Hero
    What a session.
    after yesterday's **** show, I decided to change my serie a teams formation to 3412 which I've never used before, and wow, surprised at how good of a formation this is.
    went from winning 2 games yesterday, to finishing in Silver 1 now with a game to spare which is a slight improvement on last week at least.

• Bigfootisblurry
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Aren't points from this week being refunded due to the issues on Thursday? @raul7kiev
  • eddopoolfc
    341 posts Sunday League Hero
    Aren't points from this week being refunded due to the issues on Thursday? @raul7kiev

They should be for what happened the other day with the servers.
    but knowing EA, they'll just pretend like nothing happened at all.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    I got a message in game saying those who redeemed before Friday would get a refund. No one else get this?
  • Hori25
    201 posts Sunday League Hero
    I got a message in game saying those who redeemed before Friday would get a refund. No one else get this?

yea same here
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4219 posts National Call-Up
    Playing my 4th ever weekend league and I've just got gold 3 with 2 games spare :p absolutely chuffed with that
  • Hori25
    I've reached G3 with 5 games left on my first WL..

Considering going for G2..
  • NeymarJr85
    257 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just got to silver 1 with 10 games remaining. Think I'll stop here since none of the upcoming TOTW players will fit in my main team anyway :)
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bigfootisblurry
    eddopoolfc
    Hori25

thanks guys! But I bought prime Makelele 30 min ago and now my night rest is under great threat )))

• wayneyb1980
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    My first WL this week

Traded wins and losses all weekend. My record is 11-10 with 9 games left, hopefully I can squeeze a few more in tonight

Finishing in any silver rank was my aim so to need 3 wins from 9 for a gold 3 finish im happy with that

Saw something a few posts above, is there a limitation for player picks? Im division 6 currently in rivals so does that mean I wont get any players over 84?

With my pack luck i'd expect get a choice from the worst totw cards anyway!!
  • NeymarJr85
    257 posts Sunday League Hero
    My first WL this week

Traded wins and losses all weekend. My record is 11-10 with 9 games left, hopefully I can squeeze a few more in tonight

Finishing in any silver rank was my aim so to need 3 wins from 9 for a gold 3 finish im happy with that

Saw something a few posts above, is there a limitation for player picks? Im division 6 currently in rivals so does that mean I wont get any players over 84?

With my pack luck i'd expect get a choice from the worst totw cards anyway!!

You have the chance of a playerpick above 84 when you finish at silver 1 or higher so you are sorted. My stepbrother got to silver 1 last week and managed to pack red SUAREZ whereas I 'only' got Willian after a gold 2 finish :)
  • DFC1983
    472 posts Sunday League Hero
    My first WL ended with 8 wins 9 losses. All I had time for. There were games I lost I think I should have won, and vice versa so probably about right.

What I've noticed though is everyone who said "Wow it's great pace doesn't matter!" really needs to re-think. Every game (bar 2) had some kind of variation of Jesus/Sane/Mane/Salah/Vardy/Martial and pace/OP corner headers really is the difference in this.
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm getting worse :D 20-9 last week

this week 16-9, will play the final 5 tonight
  • Zhen
    1378 posts Moderator
    Glad to hear that you’re at least enjoying it. The more better the opposition gets, the more likely you are to improve yourself. Just keep a mental note of the common mistakes you make and try fixing them.
  • EricVanDerek
    Great to see lots of people sharing their experiences of their first few WLs ( @tezmacfifa @Mr_Matchup1 @NeymarJr85 @wayneyb1980 etc) - well done all, and good luck with your final push for the next level.

Certainly S1 is the promised land - not just the automatic qualification for next WL, but the fact that there's no max on the TOTW rating. That said, I reached S1 last week and had a choice of three 79 rated players

As for me, I'm going to struggle to reach even S2 this week. I had a crazy run of one win in 10 games - I didn't play badly in any of them, but was simply bullied: I couldn't put away the few chances I got, whereas my defence were in very hospitable mood...

Ironically the one game I did win was the one time I was up against a better rated team (86 to my 85) and an obviously better player - they fully deserved to win, but I just hung in there and won on penalties.

I know this is a wild conspiracy theory along the lines of the Loch Ness monster and Elvis being alive, but I'm convinced that the "dynamic moments" will often work against you for having a better rated team. (yes - lock me up asap...)
  • tezmacfifa
    1665 posts Play-Off Hero
    I am still perplex as to how I hit G2 this week, starting with 8 losses and 0 wins was soul destroying. It took Sanchez to drag me out of the depths of hell and into winning form. Nothing better than it all clicking, and being rewarded for it thereafter :)
  • romanceintx
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    My second attempt at WL, was a TOTAL HOT CRACK **** TRAIN WRECK! 20 FREEEEEKING games to get TWO wins! Completely mental. And no, it wasn't all my crap play. Passes went astray, shots went into the stands, every lucky bounce AND pass went to the opponent. I would love to have seen how easy it must have been for the opponent. . . literally, whistling, whilst pressing circle at midfield, then BAM, goal number 6 against Romance. . . . . I had to quit for mental healths sake.
  • Hori25
    ended g3 in my first run, happy about it.. too bad upcoming totw is looking bad hehe
    GL for the ones still going
  • skinnyn4
    44 posts Park Captain
    Played in my first WL this week. Despite only winning 6 games from 17 matches i found it easier than I thought I would. Only got smashed in a couple of games and lost most game by 1 goal and often from a winning position. All in all I found it fun and look forward to playing in it again in a week or two.
  • michael15172211
    447 posts Sunday League Hero
    finished 11-15 stopped at 11 with five games to spare cba when i am battering oppoenents and have like 20 shots but can;t score, still using these two teams

qns55t.png

10f8gft.png

Arnautovic and Antonio came clutch the last game
  • I tend to hang out in the other weekend league chat but based on history I think this is only my 4th weekend league in the history of the competition.
    Played 2 in fifa 17, didnt bother in 18 and now back at it in 19
    First one got 12 wins which was a nice starting point.
    This weekend im currently 5-11 and absolutely frustrated with the game. Last two games on Sunday I played my best football, only for Neymar to miss a point blank chance to win it that he fired into the midriff of the goalie instead of anywhere but the net. Then the final game run into an inspired Ederson who pulled off insane save after save.
    14 games on Monday to play after work... would love to get 9 wins but will settle for getting 6 for silver 1

wasnt sure what to expect going into today but none the less went 6-2 today to get to silver 3 (11-13)
    Decided to play one more to see if I should push for gold 3... lost so called it a day... happy with the recovery but need to start out a little stronger and if I can bottle how I played today, ill be happy. Last 11 games were probably the best Ive played in a very long time. Out of those 5 losses I feel like that on another day those could have gone my way as I very much felt in control. Just couldn't beat Alisson or Ederson who both seem to be my kryptonite.
  • wayneyb1980
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    Finished 3-2 tonight to make 14-12 overall and gold 3 with 4 games to spare

I'm more than happy with that

If it wasnt so late I would be tempted to play on to try achieve gold 2 bit winning 3 from last 4 games seems unlikely