WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• EricVanDerek
    688 posts An Exciting Prospect
    OK - now I have a duplicate TOTS Oblak kicking around my club, I'd appreciate your wise counsel on which Icon SBC to start doing next (assuming there's no interesting TOTS SBC tonight).

I don't have a lot of coins or untradeable players, so this will take some time...

I play in a 4231(2), and play a bit like Ajax - patient possession play, occasional through balls down the wings, not many high crosses, and the regular completely embarrassing collapse...

At the moment the front 6 are:
    88 Vieira & TOTY KDB
    Prime Best - PIM Bergkamp - NIF Neymar
    Prime Eusebio

Vieira and KDB are the only untradeable players - Neymar I got yesterday from one of about 10 80+ player pick SBCs - my first decent pull in the last 3 months. Unfortunately my tradeable Neymar only fetched me 140k coins...

I'm loathe to get rid of KDB: he's been my favourite player to use this year, as he so fits my play style. And Vieira is very good at what he does.

So who will make the most difference to my enjoyment of this game?

- Gullit (most probably to replace PIM Bergkamp in CCAM, but could also replace TOTY KDB in CM)
    - Ronaldinho (to replace NIF Neymar at LM)

Both were favourites of mine during their playing days.
    Obviously Ronaldinho is significantly cheaper (2.2m per FutBin, compared to 3.2m for Gullit).

From reviews, Gullit is more META, but Ronaldinho? That hair...

Thanks in advance
  • Chavez76
    2483 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ronaldinho is soooo muuuuchhhh fuuuuunnnnnnnn!
    (tbf, I did not play with Gullit this year, so cant comment on him).

so, do Ronaldinho. its time to have fun in the game!

(I did Vieira SBC yesterday by the way.. meta for the win! ;))

• Mido
    544 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited June 28
    Friday morning WL is the worst experience the game offers. Pure mechanical abuse.
  • Chavez76
    again, please take these kind of comments into the hundreds of threads regarding the same.
    We are trying to be positive and nice to each other here.

To all, if you are playing, good luck this weekend!
  • EricVanDerek
    Thanks @Chavez76, I decided to follow your advice and have gone down the fun route.

In Jo weekly objective news (related, as I need all the free high rated players I can get for R10), I needed one more Japanese league win from today's set of four SB teams. Three of them were rated over 89 (thanks EA), and so the pressure was really on in my game against a high 70's rated team. First time I've ever used training cards - that's how desperate I was!
    Thankfully I saw out the game pretty easily, and now am the proud owner of Jo - who by all reports is a pile of poo in game, but that's not why I've got him...

And thanks @Chavez76 for policing our very strict "only positive & nice comments" policy...

Good luck all this WL
  • Chavez76
    Congrats on the Pile of Poo! I decided against doing the objectives this week, apart from the ones that I could by just playing DR (got me a jumbro rare players pack - best player was an 82!)

From this WL on, Ill just play when I want. Last weeks I noticed that I was playing for the red picks and nothing else. Not going to do that anymore! I've got my VvD now upgraded to his toty (simply because I never had a toty before, in any fifa and the deisgn is awesome!) so I am more or less done for now.
    If I would be able to fetch a Gullit and myabe increase Cruyff to his primer, that would be nice.. but I like this team a ton!

• aladdin
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    found it really hard this week, just scrapped G3! think it’s fair to say all the casuals have stopped playing
  • Chavez76
    had a good start, a decent mid game, but my last 10 were really bad (with a couple of very good opponents as well tbf). Ended on the dreaded 16 wins (needed 2 from last 3 when I started in the evening, won first and lost the last two to good players).
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    In order to respect this thread's tradition of positivity I will keep this brief. I'm done for the year, too many things I find frustrating happen too often.

I may or may not be back next year, we'll see.

Good luck to those playing through until the end.
  • EricVanDerek
    @Bigfootisblurry Really sorry to see you go, but completely understand. Hopefully we'll see you again next year

I still (rather worryingly) enjoy the majority of games I play, even with those "frustrating things" happening, so will continue for a while yet.
  • EricVanDerek
    I got to 6 wins again this WL.

I had a 4 game losing streak on Sunday where my players were all obviously still hung-over after a big night out on the town - that was the only possible explanation for them not running as fast as normal, not closing down players, misplacing easy passes etc

The only benefit of the S3 red pick these days is having another for the FUT Champions Premium Upgrade - after Thursday rewards I'll have 10 reds that are all 84 or lower, and other than the occasional weekly objective (84 Partey was useful this week), they're no use at all at this stage of the game...

(I've said before, but I feel the max rating on a S2 / S3 player pick should increase as the game goes on...)
  • Chavez76
    Werent the picks from this week only top 5 leagues + Most Consistents? Shouldnt be much lower in there than 87 (?).

Come to think of it, I guess your players went to the town with mine, Eric.. Sunday moring was dreadfull, up to the point I legit threw my controller away (yes, I apperently do have anger issues!).
    One of my cats had to duck :( Poor animal (I gave her some sweets after, she was happy again after...)
  • Chavez76
    probably the last time for this year, just finished my Weekend League, and for the first time this year made it into G1! I finished my eusebio SBC during this wl, played 14 games now and he scores 15 times. The man is a machine, together with Cruyff at CAM and Ronaldinho at LCAM is so much fun!
    Think I won my 9 games in a row, where 2 guys were defo better than me but they failed to score the clincher.

not sure how much I will play (although the fun is maybe even more now!) but still felt I should share it in one of the most positive threads this Fifa!

Hope we can make one again for '20 !
  • aladdin
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    your team sounds nuts man, well played
  • iRusty_yo
    3911 posts National Call-Up
    @Chavez76 congrats mate, just saw in the leaderboards that you’ve leapfrogged me 🤣
  • Chavez76
    iRusty_yo wrote: »
    @Chavez76 congrats mate, just saw in the leaderboards that you’ve leapfrogged me 🤣

:) I think this is the first time I end up higher than you on the WL :) You have quite a decent reaon to not play as much though ..
    aladdin wrote: »
    your team sounds nuts man, well played

Thanks! Full team is https://www.futbin.com//19/squad/9077065
  • EricVanDerek
    @Chavez76 Many congrats on the G1 finish. A fantastic way to sign off on WL

It looks like I'm going to have at least 4 weeks without WL, due to either being away or not having the points to qualify (the first weekend away was a late decision, so I lost those 2,000 points).

But that doesn't mean I'm not supporting the rest of you.

Go Team Novices !
  • Chavez76
    so.. I already signed up again for next weekend :(
    its an addiction... Not sure if I will play as many games though.
    @EricVanDerek: Thanks! We still need to do that friendly game !

Ill check if you are on if I am on (prob Tomorrow evening or Thursday), if you are still interested!
  • leon1309
    4120 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 17
    Went up untill i Got to S1 and then Just stoped, as i could Just not get myself to put up with this game and most of WL Players any more...all i Got was crocetas and crosses spamed, literaly not even one regular game of football.

Had 12 games left, but Just could not force myself. Basicaly did not Play a single wl in its entirety this season. Guess i am "Just to old for this ****".
    Post edited by leon1309 on
  • EricVanDerek
    leon1309 wrote: »
    Had 12 games left, but Just could not gorce myself.

That sounds very painful, so I for one am glad you didn't gorce yourself. ;)
  • Chavez76
    so... one more success story from me (sorry :))

I got a red 97 Salah yesterday in my rewards (and 95 T. Silva... not bad!) and I really wanted to try him out, but the only way I could get him into the team, was by playing a 3-5-2, which I actually didnt play at all this year.

So, I thought F** it and I changed my team (all on full chem, after formation change it looked like this)

CR7 - Eusebio
    Ronaldino - Cruyff - Salah
    M. Alonso - Vieira
    VvD - De Ligt - Dumfries
    Alisson

Started playing some in DR (Div2) and it all clicked after the first match. I won 7 in a row (never did that before) and promoted to D1 for the first time, where I also won my first (and only) 2 matches !

So, shameless brag, sorry about that, but I really wanted to share :)
  • iRusty_yo
    3911 posts National Call-Up
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    so... one more success story from me (sorry :))

I got a red 97 Salah yesterday in my rewards (and 95 T. Silva... not bad!) and I really wanted to try him out, but the only way I could get him into the team, was by playing a 3-5-2, which I actually didnt play at all this year.

So, I thought F** it and I changed my team (all on full chem, after formation change it looked like this)

CR7 - Eusebio
    Ronaldino - Cruyff - Salah
    M. Alonso - Vieira
    VvD - De Ligt - Dumfries
    Alisson

Started playing some in DR (Div2) and it all clicked after the first match. I won 7 in a row (never did that before) and promoted to D1 for the first time, where I also won my first (and only) 2 matches !

So, shameless brag, sorry about that, but I really wanted to share :)

Congrats dude, there I was jumping for joy when I got lacazette in my picks yesterday.

Furthermore, well done on your promotion. I too have been using 352 past week or so and it’s a great formation isn’t it?
  • Chavez76
    its so much fun, i like the diversity and the pace a lot. Even looking forward to play some WL this week
    (where I will prob end in G3 again :))
  • EricVanDerek
    Congrats @Chavez76 on the promotion and picks

Whilst I enjoyed the 352 when attacking, I found it left me too exposed to the many players who just spam long balls down the line - my wide players were never able to get back quick enough, and so it meant one of the CBs being dragged out of position to cover.

Like many, the level of mechanics' abuse against me (volleyed / first time shots, el tornados / croquettas, controlling the GK at any opportunity) has increased significantly over the past couple of weeks.

Couple that with the usual DDA "stuff" (in one game, my players' half time oranges must have been drugged, as they went from utterly controlling the game at 2-0 to losing 3-2 with barely a pass going to the right player in the second half...), and it was a struggle to enjoy the experience.

So whilst I made it to Silver 3 (for the red pick) by Sunday morning, I haven't bothered to push on to S1.

But good luck to those who are still grinding away...
  • Chavez76
    @EricVanDerek: the only way I am playing the 352 at the moment, is by scoring one more than my opponent.
    In my WL, I think I had one match where I kept a clean sheet :)
    Rest are scores like 5-5, 5-2, 6-4, 4-1 etc...

Did end up in G2 again this week, 5 matches to spare but since I coundt play any on Friday I was too exhasuted to play the last ones to have a chance on G1 again