WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Bigfootisblurry
    2153 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finished 14-10, happy enough with that. Gameplay was great all weekend until tonight where it was a bit stodgy.

• Cristiano_Ronaldo
    1155 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    i went 11/29 first weekend
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20
    this week i went 23/27 ( went on a crazy 15 game streak on saturday at 1am lol)
    and i never qualified last year cause of college :(

it gets easier every week tbh especially if you can get a solid cdm, varaine and another fast cb

team i ran this week 4411
    IF ben yeder
    promes-paulinhio-if talisca-mattudi- potm lucas
    sandro- benatia-manolas-juve rb
    handanovic
  • bloody-fouad
    394 posts Sunday League Hero
    Finished with 9 wins after gold 3 last week ,been pretty lucky in the players pick got Martial if and Di Maria,but gutted this upcoming totw is filthy and silver 2 player pick is maxed at 84.
  • Alexrb89
    3403 posts National Call-Up
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20

it gets easier every week tbh especially if you can get a solid cdm, varaine and another fast cb

IF ben yeder
    handanovic

Wow you played 50 games this week
  • James2201
    376 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I just completed my first weekend league last night. I finished on 11 wins, so I think that is silver one. I would have loved 14 but this weekend was mainly just to see what it was like and how difficult it is. On the whole I enjoyed it and found it much more tense and rewarding when I won. But equally frustrating when I lost. There were only one or two games where I got properly outplayed. I lost count of goals conceded in last min or in extra time.

I think I need to improve my midfield and work on my finishing and things should improve. On subject of finishing there were some games that no matter what I did it just wouldn’t go in, goalies were making saves they never nornally would in rivals.

Like I said overall a decent result and it’s more rewards to get on Thursday that I nornally wouldn’t
  • LiamSully
    5841 posts Big Money Move
    Alexrb89 wrote: »
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20

IF ben yeder
    handanovic

Wow you played 50 games this week

Think your reading that wrong ;)
  • MHoney1234
    7263 posts Big Money Move
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20

IF ben yeder
    handanovic

You went from silver 1 to elite 3 in 3 weeks. Took me two years, fair play.
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    Second WL and 15-15 - same result with my first WL week ago.

Had all my games in sunday after birth-celebration... and it was not easy ))
    Alarm clock - mineral water - bath - first 3 matches - 3 loses - ok... more coffee, FilipeLuis and T.Silva switched to my standart Bailly and Marquinos, 10-4 and after that laggs in the afternoon - pause for some film and El Classico - disgusting mood and sleepy WL ending.
    I was pleased with my result last week, but this week everything went worse, albeit with the same final result.
    I was disappointed with Aguero he was no better than Jesus/Depay.
    CL Martial was ok.
    I have to dig into the tactics settings well, this week my Pogba was on vacation in comparison with last week, and Kevin did everything to stay in my lineup.

Now it is time to think should I sold some money players before BF and seat with 2mil or maybe buy two icons.

• Jobiwan
    2920 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2018
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20

IF ben yeder
    handanovic

How come you can have more than thirty matches each week? Can i get more? :trollface:
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2018
    Jobiwan wrote: »
    2nd went 11/24
    3rd went 14/20

IF ben yeder
    handanovic

How come you can have more than thirty matches each week? Can i get more? :trollface:

It is looks like 11 from 29 games, 11 from 24 games...
  • EricVanDerek
    638 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Thanks for all the updates - great to see more crap improving players joining the big happy non-fighting family that is WL Novices.
    (although this year we'll buy something better than socks for each other for Christmas, ok?!?)

Looks like many of you have improved significantly over previous outings - it's a great feeling, isn't it? (more of that later...)

But we may need to kick out @christiano_ronaldo (not a phrase I ever thought I'd utter in my life) as gaining Elite clearly means you've outgrown us mere mortals... (many congrats!)
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    Played my first WL , i ended up on 20-9 which i was quite happy with.

I didn't take it all too seriously tbh i was playing through losing streaks etc when it wouldve been better to take a break.

I must say i throughly enjoyed it compared to Division Rivals where every game seems to be so intense.
  • EricVanDerek
    Tired of waiting for Alex Sandro to drop in price, I spent the money I'd saved on Kane, and ended up running two teams over the WL, each playing alternate games.

I'm tending to play 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 / 4-2-3-1
    All UCL players are untradeable, everyone else apart from Miranda is tradeable:

UCL Szczeny
    OTW Cancelo -- Chiellini -- Miranda -- Telles
    Cuadrado -- UCL Matuidi -- Hamsik -- D Costa
    Mertens -- IF Immobile

Oblak
    Carvajal -- Nacho Fernandez -- Godin -- Hernandez
    UCL Vazquez -- Saul -- UCL Herrera -- Son
    UCL Rodrigo -- Kane

Herrera (8) - is the only one on either team not on 10 Chem.

I know neither are particularly Meta sides, but I try and play a patient, varied style, so having various options has been great, and I've enjoyed playing with them (and that's the main thing, right?!?).
  • nextqprmanager
    3238 posts National Call-Up
    Tired of waiting for Alex Sandro to drop in price, I spent the money I'd saved on Kane, and ended up running two teams over the WL, each playing alternate games.

UCL Szczeny
    Mertens -- IF Immobile

Oblak
    UCL Rodrigo -- Kane

I know neither are particularly Meta sides, but I try and play a patient, varied style, so having various options has been great, and I've enjoyed playing with them (and that's the main thing, right?!?).

Which Team do you prefer ?
    ps Telles is probably at least as good as Sandro
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class

UCL Szczeny
    Mertens -- IF Immobile

Oblak
    UCL Rodrigo -- Kane

Might I tell you that's a hazardous habit
  • romanceintx
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    I too played my first WL after starting FIFA in July of 2016. My team is (i think) well thought out. However, I got absolutely MAN HANDLED all weeking leading up to 8 wins.

I don't think it was all my crap playing either. I did face some guys that made me think "what the hell am I doing here against these guys". But mostly it was me fighting against the mechanics of the game I think - multiple passes going STRAIGHT to the opponent (although I normally have 91+ passing %). Shots on an open goal by Neymar FLYING into the stands, etc. It actually got easy early on to feel as though "there's no way I'm going to win this game". Goals within the 1st 1-2 minutes, down by 2 after 12-15 mins. . . and meanwhile my players can't string together 3 passes. . .

anyway, I felt as the OP did - I'll not win anything. Hopefully this was a rite of passage of sorts and proving my muster by staying in the fight to the very end will allow me to progress more based on my own merits moving forward.

Below is my team (except I swapped UCL Bale for Messi, and Blanc for Hierro)

2yv9k09.jpg

And with my subs (i'm saving for IF Hulk:

2l9ttns.jpg
  • EricVanDerek
    I learnt some more lessons this WL - hopefully some might be useful for you, if

Lesson number 1 from this WL (as it should be for every WL):
    Never play when you're tired...

I started 3-2 on Friday, which was .... "surprising". But I then carried on when I should have gone to bed - and lost the next 4.
    Fresh again on the Saturday, I went 6-3 over two stints.
    That took me to 9-9, and so although that was more than the number of games I had originally intended, the lure of Silver 1 was too much. (my first WL I made Silver 2)

So late Sunday I started playing again.
    2 wins in the next 4 games - I've made it to Silver 1 (woo hoo !!!).

But there are still 8 games left. Surely it would be rude not to try for Gold 3 - particularly with its double opportunity to pick some potentially fantastic IFs?

I won one of the next three, losing one in extra time, so needed 2 wins from 5, but after that I faded badly - losing the next 4 to finish 12-17.

Match-making certainly played a part (in those last four games I played two of the three best players I'd done all WL).
    But tiredness was a huge factor - in the face of constant heavy pressure, I simply wasn't fresh enough to make good decisions.

Lesson number 2:
    Teams still aren't as strong as I'd expected
    I faced just the one Icon all WL (Baggio), but still beat them ;-)

Both my teams are average 85 rated, and I faced only one team better rated in my first 25 games.
    But in the last four games, I faced two 86 teams and an 87. (I'm sure that late in the WL, it's harder to get equal match-making...)

I only came up against Suarez, Hazard and Griezmann a couple of times each - but every time they scored incredible goals. Sane also scored a couple of ridiculous bicycle kicks against me - but we know that even keepers can do that in the current patch...

I know that it's different at the better levels, but if you're considering playing WL for the first time, don't worry about facing god-squads every game.

Lesson number 3:
    Remember it's just a game, and supposed to be fun

I had to keep remembering this when my players were getting clattered in the 90th minute by oppo players who'd been chasing after me all game as if they were zombies on steroids.

I had to keep remembering this when conceding stupid kick-off, 45 min, 60 min (am I the only one who thinks there's also a change to the "dynamic excitement factor" at this point?) and 90 min goals.

I had to keep remembering this when defenders and CDMs were rifling in half-volleys and long range thunderbolts.

I had to keep remembering this when opponents were indulging in over-extended celebrations. (although one did this when getting a consolation goal in the last minute as he was losing - didn't quite understand, given that I'd used L1 + R1 every time...)

So lots of frustrations, but overall I was pleased with how I competed, I'm sure I'm improving, and gaining Silver 1 was certainly more than I expected.

Thanks for reading...
    Good luck to all - both for qualifying for the next WL, and for your player picks on Thursday.
  • EricVanDerek
    Played my first WL
    Splendid - you've come to the right place...!
    i ended up on 20-9
    Ah - maybe not ;-) Nice one !

I too played my first WL after starting FIFA in July of 2016. My team is (i think) well thought out. However, I got absolutely MAN HANDLED all weeking leading up to 8 wins.
    I don't think it was all my crap playing either.

Sounds very similar to my experience (although your team is far better - I'm a little bit jealous...)

As you say, it's all a learning experience - I found the second time around I was more prepared for the man-handling, and have started to develop strategies to deal with it.
  • EricVanDerek
    Advait wrote: »

I assume you mean waiting for a player to drop in price?
    The logic was that his price was high because he was an inform (150k compared to 110k before he got the IF), so I assumed his price would drop a bit from the 150k... (he's now down to 135k, but I've enjoyed Kane so much and Telles has been ok for me, so I'm not sure I'll bother swapping for the time being)

Of course you could have also meant:
    - playing 4-4-2
    - running 2 teams
    - playing a patient, varied style
    - playing to enjoy myself
    - Miranda (the Brazilian CB, rather than the Enlightenment comedienne...)

I have a number of other hazardous habits, but I believe / hope those are all confidential ;-)
  • EricVanDerek

Good question.

I really enjoy playing with both.

The pace of the Italian team is fun to use (albeit I don't spam through balls for them, unlike a lot of players I come up against), and that Immobile - Mertens is a great combination.

But interestingly it's the Spanish / English team that got me 7 wins compared to 5 from the Italian one (both played the same number of games).
    I wonder if that's because it's such an unusual team (I didn't see Kane, Herrera, Godin, Vazquez or Saul all WL, and Son only once) people tend to relax, thinking they've got an easy game.
    There's also the factor that I've found Oblak to be immense (albeit I haven't used Courtois or De Dea yet)
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    Advait wrote: »

I assume you mean waiting for a player to drop in price?
    The logic was that his price was high because he was an inform (150k compared to 110k before he got the IF), so I assumed his price would drop a bit from the 150k... (he's now down to 135k, but I've enjoyed Kane so much and Telles has been ok for me, so I'm not sure I'll bother swapping for the time being)

Of course you could have also meant:
    - playing 4-4-2
    - running 2 teams
    - playing a patient, varied style
    - playing to enjoy myself
    - Miranda (the Brazilian CB, rather than the Enlightenment comedienne...)

I have a number of other hazardous habits, but I believe / hope those are all confidential ;-)

Apologies, should have been specific
    I meant running two teams
    In my opinion and experience, you must be running and getting as much practice as possible with the 11 players you'll play all the games with
    Get used to the stats, movement, work rates and improvise the custom tactics and instructions accordingly to increase efficiency and win rate in the WL
    It's much easier to only worry about 11 players than twice the amount, to add to that, you can enhance the quality of one team at the cost of the unnecessary other
  • eddopoolfc
    355 posts Sunday League Hero
    A noob question with the player pick packs.

Does Silver 2 level give unlimited rating pick, or are they limited to 83 or what ever they're limited to. Looking like a big TOTW this week.

• lastfifa
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    eddopoolfc wrote: »

Does Silver 2 level give unlimited rating pick, or are they limited to 83 or what ever they're limited to. Looking like a big TOTW this week.

Silver 2 is limited at max 84 rated.
  • eddopoolfc
    355 posts Sunday League Hero
    lastfifa wrote: »
    eddopoolfc wrote: »

Silver 2 is limited at max 84 rated.

Thank you
  • Broxibear
    70 posts Park Captain
    I also played my first weekend league since properly playing in fifa 17 on xb1 finished with 14 wins which I was pretty chuffed about considering I started 0-4 in the first four games!! I also find it hard at times for players to strong passes together but more when marking and when defending players just seem to stop moving at times and allowing opponents a free entry in on goal! But overall I was pleased at the first attempt!!
  • nextqprmanager
    edited October 2018

Good question.

I really enjoy playing with both.

The pace of the Italian team is fun to use (albeit I don't spam through balls for them, unlike a lot of players I come up against), and that Immobile - Mertens is a great combination.

But interestingly it's the Spanish / English team that got me 7 wins compared to 5 from the Italian one (both played the same number of games).
    I wonder if that's because it's such an unusual team (I didn't see Kane, Herrera, Godin, Vazquez or Saul all WL, and Son only once) people tend to relax, thinking they've got an easy game.
    There's also the factor that I've found Oblak to be immense (albeit I haven't used Courtois or De Dea yet)

Cool
    Yes I need to upgrade my La Liga Team, but probably wait approaching BF.
    I think my Team with 2 silvers in, opponents underestimate them.
    I really want an unknown team which surprises players`, but the meta of Prem teams, which I struggle against esp. Vardy etc., virtually make it impossible.
    Not as bad as 18, but we are getting there.
    Advait - hi, the thing about 2 teams is not only fitness, but I think it gets boring otherwise just using 1 team ; & no 2 matches are the same anyway.
    Post edited by nextqprmanager on
  • Chavez76
    2174 posts Fans' Favourite
    why are you striking through everything?
  • nextqprmanager
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    why are you striking through everything?

I dont know why that happened
  • lastfifa
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    Will take a break for this weeks WL but will be back for the next. During the break will hope for some luck in trading and packs so i can upgrade some weak spots from my teams.

Potm Hazard has replaced Felipe Anderson so the next weak spot is serie a lw as i need find better starter to replace De Paul. Swap Sharaway would be great but missed that chance.
  • EricVanDerek
    I also played my first weekend league
    Welcome to the Strikethrough WL Novices thread - Gold 3 is a great result for a first WL, so congrats.

I'm sure you'll be Top 100 in no time...
    (just please remember us crap improving players when you get there...)