WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Bigfootisblurry
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mako_Sulu wrote: »
    I've played 20 games, sitting on 8 and 10. Hated every single one and frankly getting embarrassed by how much I rage at a video game.

Out came the disk, walked down to Game and off it's gone. Red Dead II is now installing.

You should probably work on your maths whilst you're waiting 😉
  • iRusty_yo
    3914 posts National Call-Up
    I too have had a mare of a day, this morning was 10-2.. now I’m 13-9.

Awful but oh well
  • Bigfootisblurry
    iRusty_yo wrote: »

Awful but oh well

I had a nightmare last night, won one in five but I was tired and messing with my team too much which is a bad combo.

I'm on 12 wins, I might play to 14 but I might not too.

I am actually enjoying the game though, other than the odd twonk spamming something or another I've had a good run of even games.
  • iRusty_yo
    3914 posts National Call-Up
    iRusty_yo wrote: »

Awful but oh well

I had a nightmare last night, won one in five but I was tired and messing with my team too much which is a bad combo.

I'm on 12 wins, I might play to 14 but I might not too.

I am actually enjoying the game though, other than the odd twonk spamming something or another I've had a good run of even games.

Same, I just need one more win and I’m done, got enough DR points earned for 42k on Thursday so won’t be chasing the higher rank
  • SStubbs88
    173 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    First WL here and I'm 4-4. Can't even be bothered to play many more.

What I have noticed is it's totally pointless playing a match where after 4 tackles I still don't have the ball. Yet every one of their tackles is absolutely perfect.

And Courtois is awful.
  • leon1309
    4149 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 14
    SStubbs88 wrote: »
    First WL here and I'm 4-4. Can't even be bothered to play many more.

What I have noticed is it's totally pointless playing a match where after 4 tackles I still don't have the ball. Yet every one of their tackles is absolutely perfect.

And Courtois is awful.

Well my first try this year and am Kind of in the same boat. Tried playing late at night, but all I Got matched was god squads...add in delay on my part and you ll get the picture. Not sure if I Will even bother going for silver3...and for that fact playing wl again.
  • lastfifa
    1593 posts Play-Off Hero
    Currently 14-6 and might try my last ten games to see where i can finish. Been long time since i played all games.

Came against most stacked team i have ever seen on fifa... Toty Ronaldo, pim Ronaldo, pim Gullit, pim Socrates, pim Vieira, pim Desaily... sadly lost 3-2.
  • Chavez76
    2490 posts Fans' Favourite
    15-8 at the moment. was 9-2 before so I kinda messed it up (again(. Will try to get 2 more wins tonight I guess
  • Andyzim
    126 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Well I continued a little bit. Struggled to my 11 wins after playing 25 games and will stop there. Faced the usual bs along the way, lost games I should have won, got fed up with conceding (the not a thing) kick off goals, missing wide open chances to equalise, losing 2 or 3 goal leads in matches that I'd been dominating only for my players to disappear in the second half etc etc.

Anyway, some games had horrid delay, some were OK, usual inconsistencies. Felt like I played my best ever fifa though, was happy with the wins I managed, didn't rage when I lost despite playing well. I think switching teams every two games helped keep things interesting.

Player of the weekend goes to scream koke who was stellar off the bench on Friday but made the starting 11 after his stat shift and upped his game. Baby best has gone missing the last few weeks, hopefully he'll regain his form soon.
  • Chavez76
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    15-8 at the moment. was 9-2 before so I kinda messed it up (again(. Will try to get 2 more wins tonight I guess

17-10 now. still have 3 to get to G1, but my enerhy is drained. Think ill do some squad battles to get my 2 swap players
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Fellow novices.....the media mocked me, rivals fans ridiculed me stating that my only trip into G2 was a fluke, a one off, a Leicester City. But I’ am proud to announce that once more I have made the impossible possible. A G2 finish for the second time in my FIFA career.

After a weekend of blood, sweat, tears and prayers (and a couple of rage quits in the last 2 games). It wasn’t pretty but I’d take an ugly win to a beautiful loss.

My team is looking solid. In fact do not know we’re best to upgrade.....maybe just ride it out till the TOTS players start dropping.

Anyhoo...just wanted to share my wee bit of joy with you.....the wife doesn’t understand but I know you do.

Keep believing novices.......

• Swevin
    255 posts Sunday League Hero
    Played 5 games over the weekend as I was horribly hungover, won 2, not sure I've got time to try WL again now for a while. Oh well.
  • leon1309
    4149 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 16
    I did try 3 more games, but had such bad gameplay I Just quit out of all 3. I mean when you tackle opponent 5 Times and he keeps getting the ball back you know what time it is. Dont get me wrong I did try to Play still and countinued to Play (with my Players being unable to Pass, run, tackle or finish their clearcut chances... opponent could offcourse Play Just fine with crocetas, tornadoes, the works)...but I Just Turned of my console and ended my WL career when I Got Reus infront of empty goal (managed to outplay the opponent dispite all the BS and despite I was playing against one od those crazy squads you see in WL), literraly cca 3m or less from the goal, shot it wide (regular shot, not timed). It was one od those games I Guess. But I Got it (delay with extra spice of that Noe typical EA bs) all games I Lost, while in the games I won, I could actually Play (I Guess my opponent couldnt).

And I only played away, I did have a lot (and I mean a lot) of People back out at the start screen. How can People tell what they Play (home or away)? I mean usually when I am on left side of starting screen i am home, but it was not the case here. Must have missed something.

My last FIFA and most likely last EA game. Game Just isnt fun anymore (well better: is even less fun then it used to be in previous seasons). What good is all the extra content and shiney cards when the core od the game is Just broken. No more €€€ from this fool.
    Post edited by leon1309 on
  • EricVanDerek
    688 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Apologies for further radio silence - I wanted to warmly welcome all the newcomers (where have you been all season?!), but I was... unable to...

And congratulations to @Crazymundo for another G2 finish. We understand your joy, even if your wife doesn't...

(@leon1309 - if someone's already there when you join the WL / DR screen, it means you're away)

I stopped at S3 again this WL, because of... "things"...

(I think the only way for me to communicate my true feelings on the forum these days is through the medium of mime ;-)

I'd gone pretty liquid as everyone said the market would drop before TOTS, and then threw all my golds under 83 into the UCL Premium last week - where I managed to pull 4 Dzeko's in 6 attempts... (with the other two being Philip and 90 Koulibaly, who doesn't link to anyone I have left...)

But I've realised I'm not the patient sort, so re-bought TOTY KDB for the WL and have just bought 88 Vieira.
    I've got a great team on paper, but they do seem rather prone to goo-mannequinism...
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    @EricVanDerek

TOTY Kevin De Byrne.????????

Did u win the FIFA lottery....
  • EricVanDerek
    I've been saving up my coins like a good little boy...

Other than baby Butra a few weeks ago I haven't been particularly lucky, and no FP buying, but I just I sold up all my 83+ tradeables (other than those I use in my first team) around the time the market rose for the mid Icon SBC, so ended up with a lot more coins than I was expecting.
    I now use solely untradeables for my fitness team (Rivals and the occasional SB)

The NIF KDB had been my favourite player so far this FIFA, so I wanted to try out his TOTY. I'm not entirely sure the 1.8m price difference is justified - but it's early days.

I have found 88 Vieira to be immense for me in the first couple of games (at least when the game is playing "normally") . That Prime / PIM must be insane ...

I also sold NIF Neymar, so I'm using OTW Richarlison. A huge difference, and he's my weak link now, but I don't have any coins left, so I'll leave it as it is and give TOTY KDB a bit longer to prove himself...
  • Bigfootisblurry
    PIM Viera is incredible, I used him in draft yesterday
  • Chavez76
    I wouldnt 'stare myself to death' (very likely to be an incorrect expression) on the PIM Vieira. From what I read (didnt use, so cant confirm!) is the middle Vieira not that much worse than the prime moments, yet is less than 25% of the price.. So unless you have a tonsload of coins, dont go for it before trying the 88.

(actually on topic, but less to do with the recent conversations):

does anyone else feel exhausted to play the games during WL? When I come home from work, I notice quite often I want to play, yet in the weekends itself I feel obligated to play since I signed up .
  • EricVanDerek
    The only thing I'd say about the 88 Vieira is that his stamina (90) has been a problem for me in a couple of games already, and I've had to sub him off at 80'. I have it set to "pressure on heavy touch", so it's not that I'm on constant pressure all game. That 94 stamina on the 91 version may make the difference... (I used to have SBC Doucoure in that role, and his 98 stamina meant I never had to worry...)

"Stare myself to death" - I assume that's a translation of a Dutch expression? It doesn't really make sense in English, and I can't work out what the equivalent would be.
    I wouldn't get hung up?
    (I assume it means - I wouldn't spend too long worrying about it?

As we've said elsewhere, this thread is intended to educate, entertain and inform... ;-)
  • Bigfootisblurry
    If 90 stamina is an issue you must do so serious pressing @EricVanDerek
  • Chavez76
    The only thing I'd say about the 88 Vieira is that his stamina (90) has been a problem for me in a couple of games already, and I've had to sub him off at 80'. I have it set to "pressure on heavy touch", so it's not that I'm on constant pressure all game. That 94 stamina on the 91 version may make the difference... (I used to have SBC Doucoure in that role, and his 98 stamina meant I never had to worry...)

"Stare myself to death" - I assume that's a translation of a Dutch expression? It doesn't really make sense in English, and I can't work out what the equivalent would be.
    I wouldn't get hung up?
    (I assume it means - I wouldn't spend too long worrying about it?

As we've said elsewhere, this thread is intended to educate, entertain and inform... ;-)

it's a very literal translation from Dutch indeed :) Couldnt find a good translation for it
  • DFC1983
    716 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Gearing up for my 6th WL of the Season (Fifa19) this Friday.

My past 5 have finished around a rate of 50-60% win ratio so expecting the same this time; last time out I was 16-14. (first and only time getting over 24 games).

How's everyone feeling? This is a bank holiday weekend (UK) so I'm expecting more players than usual.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    edited April 18
    It looks like I'll get another run at WL this week but in an effort to claw some capital together for TOTS I'm going to be running an entirely untradable team. Should still be competitive enough for my level.

Good luck to all.

Screenshot-20190418-102308.png
  • EricVanDerek
    I've not entered WL this weekend - and I'm really enjoying a stress-free existence...
    But to everyone who's given it another go - good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • FrankLampard
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I haven’t done Weekend league in about 2 months, made the return there and got to 14-9, had to play all my games today and yesterday. Leaving it at that cos I haven’t got the time. I had a terrible start 1-5 , first 3 games all disconnected at the team loading screen and then the 3 after for some reason despite picking the kits I would get into the game against my opponent wearing their kits so white vs white in 2 games so frustrating!!
  • Chavez76
    played 12 up to now, at 8-4 but I just dont feel it. have a lot to play, and not any urge to play at all .
    Probably will play some tonight, and see how far I can come. Will try to get to G3 again and see how many games left and how much enjoyment lieft (but looking at how its going now, it will be terrible).
  • Bigfootisblurry
    I'm 8-6, happy enough with that.

I'll try to get to 14 should I get the opportunity.

However, the sun is shining and my motorbike seems much more appealing the FIFA.
  • Andyzim
    126 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Good luck anyone who is trying. UK Bank holiday this weekend and the sun is out so I can think of a million things I'd rather be doing than torturing myself this weekend in front of fifa.
  • Chavez76
    ended g2 .. again .. one game to spare. I notice every weekend my game gets worse on Sunday morning, and a but better again in Sunday evenings.Calabria
    Thinking about cashing out my team ( tradables are Mid vd Sar, 90 VvD, mid Butra, base Best, FS Calabria, EL Kondog) and playing untradables until ToTs. Have around a million now, selling all should get me to about 3.5 million.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    I'm at gold 3 and stopping. I've enough games left for G2 but can't be bothered