WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• EricVanDerek
    640 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Frustration, anger, disappointment, unenjoyable, over far too quickly ..

But enough about my sex life, let's talk about WL :)

Despite losing my first 4 games, I made it to the 6 wins for Silver 2 quicker than I expected, so decided to play a couple of games late Sunday with an "experimental" team for Rivals points.

The first game he rage quit at 2-0 down in the first half, the second he scored an OG immediately at kick off, and then quit.

It's my first experience of the kindness of WL strangers, but hearing the painful experiences from @limjitwe and @VTMaldini, I so wish I could donate that gifted win to both of you...

Trust others had better luck - but remember:
    It's the taking part that matters, not the winning.
  • EricVanDerek
    I'd brought in 93 MVB for 92 Lineker ready for this WL, and was excited to see how he got on.
    Unfortunately, me and Marco just didn't hit it off.

His shooting is absolutely incredible - but getting him into shooting positions was hard work - M/M work rates, lack of extreme pace and a frustrating ability to hold onto the ball are not a great combination...

He scored only 4 goals in 14 WL games - whereas Gary had got 108 from 118 games (with essentially the same team around him).

So I'm on the hunt for another striker.

I've heard good things about 92 Stoichkov, so will dig down the back of the sofa for some extra coins to try him out. But he's got M/M, and only 3* WF (which I find severely limiting in a Striker), so I'm nervous I'll only be disappointed.

Any other suggestions?
    Ideally I need an Icon, a Brazilian or a BPL player for chemistry

I don't think Butra, Del Piero or Zola will work, as I need someone more physical (I tried Butra after I packed him last Sunday, and unfortunately he just didn't suit my play style at all).

I may need to go crawling back to Gary asking for forgiveness ...
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I've heard good things about that Carnibal Jesus, could be worth a shot. I was going to suggest Butra until I read the rest of your post - came up against him a couple times this WL and he destroyed me.

Going to do a big shake up in my squad I think, been using the same team for a while and the same formation for about 3 years!

Been reading the 352 guide on here and think I will give it a go. Have been guilty of using drop back so something a bit more crazy and attacking should be fun. Going to complete three big SBCs to form the base of the side. Desailly (even though I said he was a bit meh), De Rossi and finish up La Liga for Umtiti. Hoping for some big pulls from Desailly and rewards (lol) to help with the funding!

• limjitwe
    6292 posts Big Money Move
    Another weekend league is upon us. Sold up abit of my team and went with some untradables.

I’m glad I sold and raised quite abit of coins as prices are tanking in anticipation of FUT Birthday. Hope you guys are just as liquid.

Good luck guys
  • Mako_Sulu
    edited March 22
    No WL for me this time around. A pity as I have been really enjoying FIFA this week since I changed my team. Ended up going with this:

Richarlison - Rashford
    Zola
    Marcelo - Casemiro - Pogba - Dumfries
    Umtiti - Desailly - De Ligt
    Lafont
  • Crazymundo
    94 posts Park Captain
    Good day fellow novices.....

As we approach the business end of the season I hope u all still have the hunger and desire for one final push for glory.

Been getting G3 pretty consistently since Nov but always seem to agonisingly fall short of making the big leap to G2....I’m a forever optimist....knowing my luck I will get it this weekend with the TOTW bound to be poor as it’s International week.

I’m happy team wise....Hopefully some desirable cards are released for FUT birthday....

To all the novices.....again have an a great WL....May u all achieve the success u deserve....

• limjitwe
    Done with another weekend of WL. Somehow I managed to hit 15-9. Got lazy on the Sunday night as I had to play a few games of SB to get the last SWAP player. I managed to squeeze it Stranger Things season 1 plus my wife was happy with my time spent with her and baby. I must congratulate myself a good weekend! :D

I started off badly. First game I was up 3-0 at HT. I wanted to broadcast my WL on YouTube at the HT break. I ended up getting DC as I was at the PS option screen for > 10 secs. (I didn’t know that at all). Second game I lost on PK. My fault as I didn’t play till the final whistle. Was comfortably leading 4-2 till 88th min and subbed out KDB IBRAH and Bradley earlier to give a run out to some players. Suddenly the usual BS happened. Passes going to a diff direction and opponents scores with simple cross then header type of goals. The final score was 6-6 and opponent just kept scoring last min momentum goals and kick off goals. New lesson. It ain’t over till it’s over.

The rest of the games were pretty routine. Nothing special and out of the ordinary.

Player of the WL
    Aguero
    App 24
    G18 A 12
    Ave Rating: 8.55

KDB had a miserable WL by his high standards from the last one.
    App 23 (had a red)
    G 0 A 7
    Ave Rating 8.4250

Ibrah had his first WL as a starter after being on the bench this whole Fifa. Abit of nerves as he had a 4 game drought.
    App 24
    G 17 A 8
    Ave Rating 7.95

Bradley was the surprise package. He scored a few bangers on his WL debut
    App 24
    G 4 A 4
    Ave Rating 8.27

Prime Figo did well with some goals. But I sold him thankfully as his price tanked after PIM Figo came out.
  • Chavez76
    2185 posts Fans' Favourite
    I again ended up inG2, this time with 2 games to spare. started quite bad, with 3-2 and went into a spree to 10-4.
    After that I pretty consitently did a 1w, 1l .
    The Team (sold up now a little to make some changes for next week):

92 Schmeichel
    88 Cancello, FB Luiz, FS De Ligt, 86 Taglia
    FB De Rossi, 90Butra, FS De Jong
    88 Best, FB Ibra, 91 Nedved

My Ibra just cant stop scoring, and DdR is a tank in the CDM spot. I started noticing now that my De Jong was holding me back a little on the cdm, he just didnt win enough duels, so ill vut him (and therefor also De Ligt and Taglia) for the next WL and see what happens. Replacements will be 90 VvD, 88 (EL) Alonse and Kante.
    I also switched Cancelo for the FS Calabria to get on Full chem (Cancelo was at 8 and so was Luiz).
    To remain on full chem, I also switched my Schmeichel for VD Sar

Most intersting switch I did was, when playing in a 4231, put Butra as the LCAM and Nedved as CCAM. Butra is very good from that spot, and I like Nedved better in a central position.

All in all, gameplay was pretty good this weekend, cant complain about the result. Will try to push into G1 again next week I think!
  • EricVanDerek
    How are we all doing - still have finger-nails, hair, controllers, partners...?

Another Silver 2 finish for me - just didn't have the time to push on for Silver 1.
    Or the enthusiasm - I'm finding the games far less enjoyable the last few weeks: if it's not facing 11 men behind the ball, my players are being physically assaulted... (those "robust" AI challenges from behind are crazy, whilst my manual tackling has to perfect if I'm not to give away a foul)

And I still can't believe the game-play so obviously changes if you're ahead (or behind) - I had both a 5-4 and a 4-3 this weekend, where it was as if each time I scored, my players were replaced by their non-football-playing twin brothers until the other team scored...

I used Ultimate Bergkamp on loan for a few games, as was very keen to do his SBC. He scored a couple of great goals out of nowhere, but it wasn't the amazing card I'd hoped it would be.
    I'd spent all my coins before this Promo to stock up on players for SBCs (I can afford an SBC costing up to about 2.3m), so I'll see what else drops over the next week before pulling the trigger on him. Unfortunately I think the very best PIM Strikers will be outside my price range...
  • limjitwe
    @EricVanDerek I found PIMP Socrates to be really good. You can consider him.
  • EricVanDerek
    “PIMP” ?!? Nice...!

Thanks for recommendation

I was very tempted to do Socrates, as he seems a rare combination of speed, ability, height and 5* WF, but:
    1) He seems much better as a CAM, so will still need a Striker
    2) He’s likely to use up most of my coins.

I’ve done Socrates’ loan, so will try him out in both positions.
    I just need to be patient before doing any Icon SBCs, as there will be more sickens and FBs to come this week.
    Unfortunately much harder said than done for me....!
  • Chavez76
    @EricVanDerek:
    I played the 89 Socra on both CAM and Str. He is good in both positions, although I prefered (much) as a CAM. For striker, I felt like he missed something (dont know what , my other striker is Ibra). I now play with a partnership of Butragueno and Ibra, and I prefer the small agile man with the big guy.
    But, if you need a CAM, you can not go wrong with Socra. He is a beast.
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Had a great start this WL and went 11-3 on Saturday! I feel like my team is very solid even since PIM Cannavaro joined my team and PIM Baggio provides the consistent firepower that my team needs.

But just like the last 2+ WLs, I can't seem to win on Sunday.

My record went from 11-3 --> 12-5 --> 12-11.....
    During this losing streak (as well as my remaining Sunday games) my opponent kept scoring kick off goal, AI gave away PKs even I didn't hit any button, and I hit the post more than my two previous WLs combine.....

Then I finally won the next three games and got to 15-11. Need to win two out of the next four to get G2...Two games later my record went to 15-13...

Game 29: I had like 60% possession in the game, led by 2-1 until the 85th minute where AI gave a penalty and I didn't even hit a button. I saved that penalty kick and scored from counter attack right away. After I regained possession my opponent got a red card from slide tackle from behind and he raged quit.

Game 30: Took the lead around the 20 minute. But in this game whenever I scored my opponent's Lukaku (NIF) would response right away. By the 50th minute the game was tied at 3-3 and his Lukaku already had a hat-trick. I regained my lead again around the 60-ish minutes, and then out of the blue my opponent quit the game at 70th minute. (WL still had 5 minutes to go in real live at that point, maybe he wanted to start a new game...) Anyway, free win is always welcome.

I think this is my first back-to-back G2 finish. A little disappointed given a great 11-3 start. Man, I think EA just wants me to play as much as I can on Friday/Saturday...

Saving up coins now and hope I can pull something nice from the reward packs. I have a strong feeling that PIM Maldini SBC will come out in this promo.
  • SuperSonicSean
    5474 posts Big Money Move
    Started 9-6. Finished 3-12. I was expecting to make G2 and I didn't even make G3. After my first half, I got matched up exclusively with super players with super teams. Every single one must have been G1 or Elite.
  • Crazymundo
    94 posts Park Captain
    WL done.

A Fi-familiar story.....G3 again. Gave away my last game as a free win. My opponent messaged me to say thanks and that it was his last game and needed the win for G3. (I was winning 2-1 and I scored 2 OG’d in the last minute)....makes it all worthwhile.

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekly objectives and managed to acquire the 3 Birthday cards that were available....Ibra and Naldo promptly went into the Blanc SBC...I enjoyed playing with an average team.

Hope u guys had successful WL.

PS...a wee tip. ...there is umpteen icon SBC’s. the rising talent one (a team of silver rare players) can be done for between 4 and 5k....u get a Gold players pack...(1 rare)...even at discard value u would get around 4k....anything sellable is profit....I’ve done them and must be up around 60k from them. It’s a cant lose situation.
  • Mako_Sulu
    Crazymundo wrote: »
    WL done.

A Fi-familiar story.....G3 again. Gave away my last game as a free win. My opponent messaged me to say thanks and that it was his last game and needed the win for G3. (I was winning 2-1 and I scored 2 OG’d in the last minute)....makes it all worthwhile.

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekly objectives and managed to acquire the 3 Birthday cards that were available....Ibra and Naldo promptly went into the Blanc SBC...I enjoyed playing with an average team.

Hope u guys had successful WL.

PS...a wee tip. ...there is umpteen icon SBC’s. the rising talent one (a team of silver rare players) can be done for between 4 and 5k....u get a Gold players pack...(1 rare)...even at discard value u would get around 4k....anything sellable is profit....I’ve done them and must be up around 60k from them. It’s a cant lose situation.

Good tip. The bronze one is also very good as you get a silver players pack which can have a lot of expensive players.

I hope I can play WL this time around. Concentrated on Rivals last weekend when I had the time and made it to division 4. Then came the quickest relegation of all time, lost every game and quickly found myself back in Div 5. That ended my flirtation with 352 and I'm back with 4231, this time with a much more attacking outlook that I'm enjoying.
  • limjitwe
    6-D2-A097-F-0-EA5-4736-9389-9-B1639-DE85-F3.jpg

Good luck everyone for this week’s WL. Rolling with this team this weekend. Debuts to Blanc & Best.
  • aladdin
    707 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited March 29
    holy F, that is an incredible team.... :o you must finish gold 1 most weeks i’d imagine?
  • Low Ki
    11439 posts Has That Special Something
    I tried WL again this week and its solidified my decision: I'm quitting FUT once 19 ends.

This game is a disease, just like the company that made it. No positives whatsoever and its sole purpose is just to make more and more money every week.

These developers clearly have no pride in their work and instead of constantly improving their game they're more preoccupied with treating us like human ATM'S.

I've been playing FIFA for 20 years now and I cant continue. I genuinely hate this game and hate how it makes me feel every game. It's just not healthy and I wish everyone had the courage to out this game in the trash where it belongs instead of enabling their respective sunk cost fallacy.
  • limjitwe
    aladdin wrote: »
    holy F, that is an incredible team.... :o you must finish gold 1 most weeks i’d imagine?

I don’t!! It’s crazy. I finish gold 2 with 19 wins
  • limjitwe
    Hope you guys had a good WL? Seems like not many of us regulars here play much?

Ended up with 19 wins again. I swore I was so confident and thinking this could be the weekend where I hit GOLD 1. I was at 14-4 at one point. Eventually I did hit 17-7. Lo and behold, after that I struggled. I was struggling from the 20-28 game where even when I won, it was such a laboured win.

Best had a decent WL with probably some nerves setting in. There were some inconsistent moments where his ratings were in 6.8-7.5 for a few games. He should get better when I get used to him.

Next week WL will have some signings to hopefully nudge me to gold 1.

Player of the WL:
    KDB TOTY
    8 goals
    12 assists

Golden Boot:
    Aguero
    30 games
    22 goals
    8 assists
  • Chavez76
    Ended 14-5 . Was called in three consecutive nights for work standby reasons so I coundt play too many games
    on Sunday I actually fell asleep before my TV and FIFA on, after a game :(
    14 is fone, at least 2 red picks to be dissappointed about :)
  • Mako_Sulu
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Hope you guys had a good WL? Seems like not many of us regulars here play much?

Ended up with 19 wins again. I swore I was so confident and thinking this could be the weekend where I hit GOLD 1. I was at 14-4 at one point. Eventually I did hit 17-7. Lo and behold, after that I struggled. I was struggling from the 20-28 game where even when I won, it was such a laboured win.

Best had a decent WL with probably some nerves setting in. There were some inconsistent moments where his ratings were in 6.8-7.5 for a few games. He should get better when I get used to him.

Next week WL will have some signings to hopefully nudge me to gold 1.

Player of the WL:
    KDB TOTY
    8 goals
    12 assists

Golden Boot:
    Aguero
    30 games
    22 goals
    8 assists

I haven't been able to play in a while and not sure when I will again. My housemate annoyingly has stopped going home at weekends so WL is unplayable.

Pity as I have been enjoying FIFA recently in Rivals.
  • aladdin
    got to gold 3 as per usual. had a few games spare but not enough time
  • limjitwe
    @Mako_Sulu

It’s time to get him a girlfriend or something!!
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Finished this WL with a 16-14 record. Got my 16th win after game 28 but lost game 29 in over time and lost game 30 from a 120th minute goal.

Actually I could have won game 29. Late in the game my Ibra intercepted a goal kick right outside the box, and having an empty net right in front of him his shot went wide....WTF....could have gotten my 17th win right there (assuming my opponent didn't score a kick off goal after that)....
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2153 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can anyone just clarify how late you can redeem WL entry now please? I might be able to play on Saturday but won't know till Friday evening.
  • lastfifa
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    Had my best WL as i finished 14-6. Was thinking of playing all games but didn't have time.

• aladdin
    Can anyone just clarify how late you can redeem WL entry now please? I might be able to play on Saturday but won't know till Friday evening.

i think it’s up till midnight on friday mate
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2153 posts Fans' Favourite
    aladdin wrote: »

i think it’s up till midnight on friday mate

Thank you.