WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• So how are we all doing today?
    Hungover from a wild night of excessive drinking, celebrating our first Elite finish?
    Or hungover from a wild night of excessive drinking, drowning our sorrows as we crashed to an all-time worst-ever performance?

I made it to G3, but it was a bit of a grind...

I do feel I've made it as a "real" FIFA player though, as having gone 2-0 up inside 30 minutes in the game to make it to 14 wins (I still had games left, so I was pretty chilled), the guy paused. I thought it was to rage quit, but no - he sent me a message to accuse me of cheating. Right, because that's easy to do on a console.... :)

I also played one game where when defending, the oppo solely controlled his Kante - but rarely actually took him anywhere near the ball - just crab-walked to cover the interceptions and let the AI defend. That can't be an enjoyable to play the game, surely?!?

And yes - of course there was the usual selection of ridiculous rubbish with the game - within the space of five games I encountered four instances of goo mannequin-ism in the last minute. But I'm (far too slowly) learning to just laugh it off...
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Earlier in the week I had make some major upgrades to my team: did the Rijkaard SBC, bought prime Baggio (I was very happy that EA announced Moments Baggio, until I saw the price tag...), and fit FB Ibra in the starting line up with 8 chem. Would these upgrades give me better WL result? Let's see.

Had a poor start and only won 1 in 5 games (again...), then I had a 6 games winning streak and subsequently improved my record to 10 wins in 17 games. At that point I felt good and thought I could make G2 this week. Only that my 14th win didn't come until my 27th game (and I won that game in penalty shoutout 12-11 and shot like 20 rounds). And then I lost again in the 28th game.

Just like the previous weeks. It doesn't matter what I do I always end up at G3. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I really have to pick an area to improve my team that would be to upgrade IF Chiellini and SIF Koulibaly to Maldini and Cannavaro. Don't think I can ever afford the Moments version so I will settle with Prime. But still it's going to cost around $2.6 million or so so it's not like I can do those upgrades anytime soon.
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Another WL.....another G3 finish. Can’t seem to make that jump to G2....but I’ll keep trying.

Played against a load of players pausing at the start to bring on their FS Ibra or FS Torres.....very annoying. Personally think that changing in-game should have a detrimental effect on your chemistry as this defeats the purpose of linking and chemistry. Also apart from the usual kick off goals I think the classic ‘tramp’ style goal has made a comeback. Conceded a scary amount of goals where the opponent dances along my by-line before squaring it into the 6 yard box for a tap in finish....do people not get bored scoring the same goal all the time.

Came up against some monster teams. Although I seem to fair better against higher rated teams.....although if any mods are reading this I’m not suggesting EA assistance kicks in (cough, cough).

Again congrats to all the success stories out there....
  • BGAlum
    1216 posts Professional
    @VTMaldini have you tried playing with a lower rated team during the week in a few rivals games, then go back to your higher rated team only for the weekend?

I find if I go down to a lower rated team for a bit I do better when I come back to my main team. I think of it like getting nose blind to a specific smell unless you leave an area then come back.

Your senses become numb to what that team can do.
  • Chavez76
    2751 posts Fans' Favourite
    ended in G2, again. had the best start ever, going 5-0 and 10-2, thinking this could be my G1. played on decently on Saturday only to **** up on Sunday big time :(
    went to 16 wins with 5 matches to play (aka 16-9 at that point) and only was able to get to G2 on my last game .. it was terrible .

Things to take away:
    My friday / Saturday runs are usually good
    My Sunday morning / afternoon gaming sucks
    I should not play when I am angry about the last game
    I should not play when I dont want to play

Next WL I am not sure if I can fit it in yet, weekend after Ill try and play all on Friday / Saturday I guess and see what comes up then!
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    BGAlum wrote: »
    @VTMaldini have you tried playing with a lower rated team during the week in a few rivals games, then go back to your higher rated team only for the weekend?

I find if I go down to a lower rated team for a bit I do better when I come back to my main team. I think of it like getting nose blind to a specific smell unless you leave an area then come back.

To me, I don't want to spend $1000+ every two games on squad fitness cards so I alternate between my main and fitness team in WL/Rivals/Squad Battles. In some weeks, I would even get more WL wins using my fitness team than my main team. Sometimes I just can't help but wonder why am I spending time to build an "ultimate" team while my lower rated team can play as well (and my opponents always score with their NIF Gabriel Jesus, Ben Yaddar, etc.)

One thing to add is that I had been working on that OTW objective all last week once WL was over (the one where you need to score with ToTW players in 7 Rival wins). I kept playing Rivals with my fitness team since I have two ToTW strikers in that team, but it was so difficult to get a win and by the end of the week I only completed 4/7...

Maybe by this time of the year most of the causal players have already left the game and there is no more easy game.
  • BGAlum
    1216 posts Professional
    VTMaldini wrote: »
    BGAlum wrote: »

To me, I don't want to spend $1000+ every two games on squad fitness cards so I alternate between my main and fitness team in WL/Rivals/Squad Battles. In some weeks, I would even get more WL wins using my fitness team than my main team. Sometimes I just can't help but wonder why am I spending time to build an "ultimate" team while my lower rated team can play as well (and my opponents always score with their NIF Gabriel Jesus, Ben Yaddar, etc.)

One thing to add is that I had been working on that OTW objective all last week once WL was over (the one where you need to score with ToTW players in 7 Rival wins). I kept playing Rivals with my fitness team since I have two ToTW strikers in that team, but it was so difficult to get a win and by the end of the week I only completed 4/7...

Maybe by this time of the year most of the causal players have already left the game and there is no more easy game.

Having left (online play) myself, I know there goes a few of the easy wins others were enjoying. I too normally have a fitness team, but also bought team fitness packs the first few days of the games realease for $150 a pop and just stalking up ever since. I save them for objectives where I may not have a fitness team.

Anyhow, I get what you are saying. Of course my entire team is just the gold form of some top players, but still my team with common gold and silver can be just as successful at times.

I also do better when I take a few day break and return. Hopefully you can break through. Sure you will.

• SuperSonicSean
    5989 posts Big Money Move
    Made G2 for the first time ever after my worst start. Can't wait to pack red Nainggolan. 😍
  • Made G2 for the first time ever after my worst start. Can't wait to pack red Nainggolan. 😍

Congrats @SuperSonicSean.
    Time for another celebratory drink...
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect

Well done for all novices everywhere for making it through another WL - and particularly to @Mako_Sulu for that first ever G2 finish.

Thanks! Didn't get to play last weekend but hopefully I can repeat the result this WL.

Been working through doing the bronze and silver challenges on all the Icons that are available right now, been packing quite a few expensive silvers and was sitting on around 50k profit until the final gold pack from the Seedorf SBC when Sergio Ramos popped out!

Been sat looking at my team and trying to fit him in but it doesn't work so I'll sell him on. Kinda wanna try Neymar out so should add some funds for that!
  • aladdin
    927 posts Semi-Pro
    neymar is incredible. get him mate
  • Mako_Sulu
    aladdin wrote: »

Nice, I'm around 100k off at the moment - division rival rewards didn't throw up anything tasty (and I forgot to take tradeable rewards...).

Could sell Mbappe and do this:

POTM Rashford
    Neymar - Zola - HL Lozano
    Baresi - Pogba
    Telles - Fabinho - Van Dijk - SBC Dumfries
    Donnaruma

Anyone used any of the Lozano IFs?
  • FatZed
    866 posts Semi-Pro
    Mako_Sulu wrote: »

Nice, I'm around 100k off at the moment - division rival rewards didn't throw up anything tasty (and I forgot to take tradeable rewards...).

POTM Rashford
    Baresi - Pogba
    Donnaruma

I have used the SIF Lozano card a few times and currently again after selling Mbappe to free up funds, little to no difference stat wise from the Lozano HL and saves you some coin. Pretty nice card! comparable in some ways to Mbappe since your familiar with him. Good pace, dribbling and finishing, good runs in behind just lacks the 5* skills..

I am playing him with Ney, Ibra and Prime Nedved so while he isn't my star he is great and contributes enough...no complaints yet
  • Pooter
    2166 posts Fans' Favourite
    I don't think I would qualify for WL for the next two years the way the game is going
  • Mako_Sulu
    FatZed wrote: »

POTM Rashford
    Baresi - Pogba
    Donnaruma

I have used the SIF Lozano card a few times and currently again after selling Mbappe to free up funds, little to no difference stat wise from the Lozano HL and saves you some coin. Pretty nice card! comparable in some ways to Mbappe since your familiar with him. Good pace, dribbling and finishing, good runs in behind just lacks the 5* skills..

I am playing him with Ney, Ibra and Prime Nedved so while he isn't my star he is great and contributes enough...no complaints yet

Awesome thanks and he has a 4* weakfoot which is vital for me so looking good. I gotta figure out the numbers and see if I can afford it...

Need one more Utrecht player and think it's gonna have to be one of the super expensive ones but I guess I've just gotta bite the bullet.
  • What?!?
    It's weekend league time AGAIN?

But I've only just got over the shakes and sweats and screaming from last time...?

Good luck all. Keep us updated on how you get on.
    Real life intruding this weekend means I'm just aiming for S3: an 84 rated pick and 1,000 points.

Previously I always redeemed qualification for a WL before opening the previous WL rewards - that way I'd have the points in "reserve". It was a nice buffer in case I could only play a few games (or lost way more than usual)
    But this week I opened my WL rewards before redeeming - so immediately lost the 2,000 points.
    I called EA's so-called "Help" desk - after 32 painful minutes they told me "Tough - we can't do anything to fix it".
  • aladdin
    927 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 1
    i’m out this weekend. good luck to the players tho. make it happen peeps
  • Mako_Sulu
    2ijizr5.jpg

Took the plunge. Just need to decide what kit to wear this weekend and I'm ready!
  • Mako_Sulu
    Managed to get 15 games in today somehow. Was only planning on 5 but just kept going. Doing OK, 8 wins and 7 losses.

Lost a few in a row so no more today...

Really liking the Lozano - Dumfries link on the right hand side but not sure on Neymar to be honest. Gnabry seemed to contribute a lot more.
  • aladdin
    927 posts Semi-Pro
    i use neymar as my striker. think he’s wasted on the wing tbh
  • Chavez76
    had to stop after my first 4 games yesterday. I played terrible, went down 2-0 in ALL games and won 3 of them in the end in extra time. After my loss I decided to call it a day. WIll start playing again in the next hour
  • lastfifa
    1686 posts Play-Off Hero
    This **** is rigged..

Nice to play against all **** what game can throw at you... ffs lost a game after ai gave three penalties to my opponent in one game.
  • Mako_Sulu
    Initial goal complete, G3 locked in. Now trying to hit G2 again. 6 games to go and 3 wins needed!

POTM Rashford is just insane, I've never used a striker quite like him. Makes perfect runs and pulls off ridiculous finishes. Only player I've ever had with more goals than games.
  • Mako_Sulu
    Initial goal complete, G3 locked in. Now trying to hit G2 again. 6 games to go and 3 wins needed!

POTM Rashford is just insane, I've never used a striker quite like him. Makes perfect runs and pulls off ridiculous finishes. Only player I've ever had with more goals than games.

Three wins from three later and G2 is secured! We couldn't finish G1 could we?? Three more wins needed, three games to go!
  • iRusty_yo
    3925 posts National Call-Up

Three wins from three later and G2 is secured! We couldn't finish G1 could we?? Three more wins needed, three games to go!

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c7ae5d27a544d6b736c1b36
  • Mako_Sulu
    iRusty_yo wrote: »

wjdzt4.jpg

B) B) B)

Slightly in shock! Who else but Marcus Rashford in the 118th minute to complete a 3-2 victory
  • iRusty_yo
    3925 posts National Call-Up
    iRusty_yo wrote: »

wjdzt4.jpg

B) B) B)

Slightly in shock! Who else but Marcus Rashford in the 118th minute to complete a 3-2 victory

Congratulations!!
  • limjitwe
    6805 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 3
    Congrats @Mako_Sulu

I’m out of this WL this week. My first kid came into this world on Friday o:)

Good luck guys!
  • Chavez76
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Congrats @Mako_Sulu

Good luck guys!

bad reason not to play! :)

Congrats!!!!
  • limjitwe
    6805 posts Big Money Move
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Congrats @Mako_Sulu

Good luck guys!

bad reason not to play! :)

Congrats!!!!

@Chavez76 lol I know right. Wanted to bring my PS4 to the hospital. B) But decided I didn’t want to be rude to the wifey. Else I really would get banned from the game permanently... lol