WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Mako_Sulu
    496 posts Sunday League Hero
    Not only have I managed to squeeze in most of my games this weekend, I've gone and recorded my best ever finish - 18 wins so G2 for the first time! Actually had a shot at G1 needing wins from my last two but didn't have time so gave some guy the win in one and I tried to in the last game but everyone just backed out so they missed out!
  • Racingeye1
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited February 16
    well what a sad state of affairs this game has become, every game all f#@kin 11 players behind the ball. all for a few packs and red picks you will never use!!!! whats the bloody point
    edit: can you tell my WL is going badly
  • Andyzim
    35 posts Last Pick at the Park
    [quote="Andyzim;c-8270086"

Predictably sitting at 7 wins, 14 games played so far, the only reason I am continuing is because I'm actually getting a morsal of enjoyment from playing the best, most creative and interesting fifa I ever have managed. [/quote]

9 for 18 now, can't break the pattern.
  • aladdin
    579 posts An Exciting Prospect
    win one lose one. even if you lose two or three you’ll catch it up eventually
  • Racingeye1
    wow 3w 14L this is by far the worst ive played and the worst opponents ive played all players behind the ball score 1 then time waste grrrrrrr
  • limjitwe
    5681 posts Big Money Move
    edited February 17
    Mako_Sulu wrote: »
    Not only have I managed to squeeze in most of my games this weekend, I've gone and recorded my best ever finish - 18 wins so G2 for the first time! Actually had a shot at G1 needing wins from my last two but didn't have time so gave some guy the win in one and I tried to in the last game but everyone just backed out so they missed out!

Great result.

I’m at 14-9 now. Was at 8-8 before going for a 6-1 sequence (lost was on PK). Will push for 17 shortly. Connection seems smooth now and I gotta take advantage of that.

Star of WL: 89 Striker Mbappe
    Debut: FS Houssem Aouar (very very good)
  • Andyzim
    I reached 11 wins for silver 1 after 22 games. I don't have any more time to push for gold 3 now but it felt possible that I could have done it for the first time. I guess I don't have to go through the stress of finding out!
  • MortiferVaughan
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Managed Gold 2, but made to work for it. It looked like I was on route to make G1 when I got to G3, then 4 losses in a row (I should really learn when to quit) made my first G1 impossible.
    Had to win my final game to get G2, and it went to extra time at 2-2, but luckily I got two more goals with no reply.

POTM Rashford was definitely worth it, playing alongside Prime Ibra. Went for a 4222 this time, but found my new RTTF Lingard a little underwhelming so might need to upgrade there. Definitely need to upgrade my defense if I'm ever going to get passed G2.

Good luck to anyone else playing. Grind through!
  • BGAlum
    641 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Breaking up is hard to do...

I thought about creating a post by itself, but that would only be blasted by many.

@EricVanDerek I read the bleacher report article, thank you for sharing. I feel somewhat vindicated now and commend you for the work you have put in to improve and overcome what I see as a mountain of issues in the game and in the player community as well.

My son and I have been playing 19 since the beta was available. I did not like it then, but gave EA the benefit of the doubt and bought the full game so we would have 40 packs to hopefully get a head start on a decent team. In reality all that did was keep me in the game for about 10 weeks longer than I would have liked. I hoped the notes and items we reported would be addressed by the final release. They have not...and patch after patch have been a disappointment upon disappointment.

All that in mind, breaking up with a football/soccer game is hard to do, but what I have found is that this game ended up leaving less time to enjoy watching actual matches. The time needed to dedicate to get any kind of reward in any FUT category took away from enjoying the game I enjoy or even love. Let alone time away from other parts of life in general.

My wife is an absolute saint for putting up with me playing the game. She knows it is an espcape from the stress of life, but in reality the game essentially added to that stress in many ways.

This will be the first week with no packs and no rewards. I have not played a squad battle this week, though I am fighting the urge to do so if I am completely honest. This is not the first time to be away from the game due to long term work travel, but will be the first week with no packs at all.

All that makes it a good time to try to make a clean break and break up with this game... at least FUT. But it has taken quite a bit to get here. Refusing to spend the money to extend my PS4 plus account removed Rivals and WL and then running out of the pre-purchased packs and no packs from Squad Battles gives me little reason to play.

Now reading how it was a glitch in career mode that had my son giving up his manager career mode as his players kept going backwards, no matter how much they trained and improved would keep losing ratings. We just chalked it up to the players being older. EA has clearly screwed up in so many ways, in all modes of this game.

Maybe they need to just not release a FIFA 20 and rethink everything. The fact they consider this game competition ready is an absolute joke. The fact they have releases to say they have banned competitive players is another joke. So much I have lost respect for EA together. They have facilities and jobs where I live and even as I face not having a job, I do not think I could keep a straight face in an interview with them at this point it is so bad.

When this journey started all I wanted was a decent football game to enjoy with my kids and it is my fault to get sucked into FUT, I will admit, but at the end of the day we should have just kept FIFA18. It fit the bill with no promise of anything great or better, but it was enjoyable.

Then comes the draw of the new timed finishing and features my son seemed excited about, which have all been a disappointment with all the tweaking. So much so even he has given up on using them. Somehow we thought EA would build on and improve the product they had in 18 like it or hate it, but the changes in that version seemed to be positive at the end of the day, but 19 has been nothing like that. It has been like a bi-polar person forgetting to take their meds every other month.

Again props to those who have prevailed over the sporadic and spastastic gameplay. That said, just because you continue to win, does not mean the condition does not exist. It does and impacts a number of players, most of which do not visit this or any forum.

I am sure I will still check in as I said from the start, breaking up is hard to do.

• Chavez76
    1478 posts Professional
    Currently need 1 more win from 4 games to get to G2 again. Probably will loose 4 in a row but we'll see ;)
  • VTMaldini
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Just like the previous weeks, it does not matter if I win 3-4 games in a row, I would then lose the same amount and get back to 50% in winning percentage. Got my 14th win in 26 games and had a shot at G2.

Game 27: lost 2-3. Late in the game my shot from inside the box was saved by my opponent despite my guy was unmarked...

Game 28: won 2-0

Game 29: opponent’s FB Rooney scored a kick off goal, and his FB Ibra already had a hat-trick in the first half. I was already down 1-4 in the first half. Lost that game 2-4 at the end. However, I did hit the post 3 times and my guy missed an 1-on-1 chance. Just feel like if the game doesn’t want you to win there is nothing you can do.

WL is getting more and more frustrating to me. Maybe I should move on to some other games.
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited February 18
    G2 in 28 games. Friday start 5-5....
    But everything like week ago - fast gameplay, more kick-offs and 45/90 minutes goals then always, my players not makes runs and nothing I can do with my 13mil squad against simple cheap gold squads.
    Now I'm glad when my opponent has an expensive lineup...
  • Chavez76
    1478 posts Professional
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    Currently need 1 more win from 4 games to get to G2 again. Probably will loose 4 in a row but we'll see ;)

one the first game out of the 4 (goals by new signings KdB and David Luiz!). had a shot at G1 with 3 games to go
    (needed to win them all). First game of the three I came up against a monster squad with 8 prime icons.. He got a 3-0 lead, got back to 3-2 and had some chances on the 3-3 but he scored the 4-2 (and needed to shush me and dab on me... )

Still, G2 second time this year, cant complain!
  • aladdin
    579 posts An Exciting Prospect
    G3. was a beast of a weekend tho. lost 4 in a row twice. i also need to learn when to stop sometimes
  • Crazymundo
    81 posts Park Captain
    Another WL completed. Same story as last weekend. G3 finish. It’s like Groundhog Day in Fifa-land. Good start, bad middle and a stuttering end. Lost 5 penalty shoot-outs. It’s a total lottery what direction the pk ends up.

Thinking of downgrading my team. I seem to have more success against higher rated teams. I feel the better rated your team the more the game mechanics work against you.

Going to spend time and master a skill move this week. I have players with an abundance of talent but are not playing to their full potential.

Congrats to all the novice successes.....and enjoy your hard earned rewards.

PS...is there a way of controlling your GK at corners. I played against people whose keeper would dominate the box at these whereby my GK flaps about like an injured seal in the 6 yard box.

• limjitwe
    @Crazymundo

You can move you GK out my holding the R3 button and moving him alittle
  • EricVanDerek
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I made it to S3 by Sunday evening with a 6-3 record, which was the goal given limited time this weekend.

I did play a couple more games on Sunday night to get to S2, but I'm not really sure why - I've not really enjoyed the game since the patch (although I am a big fan of the timed finesse being nerfed).

In my last game I faced an 83/84 rated gold BPL squad, plus TOTY CR7 as ST. What?!? Why have him, and have him on 4 Chem. And he was definitely trying for the win. Some people, eh...?!?

I don't mind PTB - whilst boring, that's just part of football and I like the challenge to try and break it down.

But it's the combination of OP AI defending and the ability of players to hound me at light-speed all game that's so frustrating, because it's both unrealistic and requires little skill.

I'd say in at least half my games my opponent didn't sub any of his players, despite the fact that his attackers and midfielders had been haring around after me like Usain Bolt on drugs all game, and then countering at light speed. It's a sorry indictment of the state of the game when Sterling, Aguero, Griezmann, Saint-Maxim, Gomez etc are being used as CMs, and are effective there ...

But I'll just continue playing my way, and if that means I don't get the good rewards, so be it.

Well done for all novices everywhere for making it through another WL - and particularly to @Mako_Sulu for that first ever G2 finish.

@BGAlum. We're not all ignoring your message, it's just taken time for us to accept the fact that you've called time on FIFA (at least for the time being). I'm sure most of us understand it - and for many of us, we're wrestling with whether we can break the addiction ourselves. Personally, I'll keep on grinding, as I know FOR A DEFINITE FACT that a really good, transformational, pack pull is coming any day now....

If anyone fancies a friendly this week for the swap deal player, do PM me.
  • VTMaldini
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Anyone here still need to play the 2 friendlies for the swap player? we can let each other score one goal first then play for real?

psn: VTMaldini
  • Racingeye1
    Well after the worst start I've ever had of 3 wins and 14 losses I carried on the losing streak and had a 10 game losing streak between wins!!! Somehow I managed to go on a 6 win streak and finally finished on 10 wins having needed to win last game for silver 1. But guess what 24 shots 22 on target for me 3 shots 2 on target for him....I lost 2-0
    *pops to argos for a new controller*
  • BGAlum
    @EricVanDerek I am pulling for ya in that ever optimistic pack pull!
  • MortiferVaughan
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Any novices need to do the swap deals friendly matches?

Maybe someone else can confirm, but it looks like we just simply have to score 2 goals in a match, regardless of the result. So I guess we just let each other score 2 goals each then alternate who quits over the two games
  • Bigfootisblurry
    1560 posts Play-Off Hero
    So.... how's the game at the minute?

Worth considering a return?
  • EricVanDerek
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect
    @Bigfootisblurry
    Personally I wouldn't recommend returning just yet.
    With AI defending OP and stamina utterly unrealistic, I find most opponents play with 8/9/10 men behind the ball, and attackers manically chasing after you all game.
    It's ok in small doses, but after a few games it gets very wearing.

However I'm (possibly unrealistically) thinking it's only one patch - and that a return to the AI defending of one of the patches pre-Christmas - away from being a really great game.

Good luck to all Novices across the globe plunging into another weekend of frustration, rage and glory - may the matchmaking / game mechanic luck be always on your side...
  • Bigfootisblurry
    1560 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thanks @EricVanDerek , I'll wait until after my holiday next month to reassess.

As always, good luck to all.
  • Andyzim
    edited February 22
    @Bigfootisblurry
    Personally I wouldn't recommend returning just yet.
    With AI defending OP and stamina utterly unrealistic, I find most opponents play with 8/9/10 men behind the ball, and attackers manically chasing after you all game.
    It's ok in small doses, but after a few games it gets very wearing.

However I'm (possibly unrealistically) thinking it's only one patch - and that a return to the AI defending of one of the patches pre-Christmas - away from being a really great game.

Good luck to all Novices across the globe plunging into another weekend of frustration, rage and glory - may the matchmaking / game mechanic luck be always on your side...

My new favourite thing is to score a goal and watch back the replay to count how many opposition outfield players were in the box. My best so far was 8 (regular play, not a set piece). The most impressive was a goal from hl ousmane dembele who was surrounded and being closed down by 5 players in a circle around him near the penalty spot.
  • BGAlum

I am not sure what EA is even doing with updates anymore.

I am just playing Squad Battles now, giving it another try, but figure after my next business trip, I will not return at all.

But as a pack addict... it is tough to quit. Envy you having quit cold turkey.
  • limjitwe
    Just had one of my best WL this weekend. Ended up gold 2 with 17-6 but that was cause I didn’t have much time to play. I was at 14-3 which was my best start ever.

The best part was the flow of the play and the number of rage quit I had to confirm that this formation and tactics work really well. I came up against different formations but mainly 4231 still though. Love the changes I did to my team and it shined. Hope it stays this way for March.

TOTY KDB seemed to have made a huge difference in the midfield partnering FS Auoar.

93 Neymar also made an impact over Vinicius ( @IAIK7 I know I recommended VJ, but Neymar is cheaper and better other than stamina.)

90 Mbappe seems more deadly than ever being my top scorer over the weekend.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    1560 posts Play-Off Hero
    BGAlum wrote: »

I am just playing Squad Battles now, giving it another try, but figure after my next business trip, I will not return at all.

This is why I always buy the disc rather than a digital copy. Once it's gone, it's gone. If I choose to return later I can usually get it for much less than I sold it.

The fact I've done this most years since 2012 should probably teach me something...
  • IAIK7
    1543 posts Play-Off Hero
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Just had one of my best WL this weekend. Ended up gold 2 with 17-6 but that was cause I didn’t have much time to play. I was at 14-3 which was my best start ever.

The best part was the flow of the play and the number of rage quit I had to confirm that this formation and tactics work really well. I came up against different formations but mainly 4231 still though. Love the changes I did to my team and it shined. Hope it stays this way for March.

TOTY KDB seemed to have made a huge difference in the midfield partnering FS Auoar.

93 Neymar also made an impact over Vinicius ( @IAIK7 I know I recommended VJ, but Neymar is cheaper and better other than stamina.)

90 Mbappe seems more deadly than ever being my top scorer over the weekend.

I'll take it on board. Thanks.
  • BGAlum
    BGAlum wrote: »

This is why I always buy the disc rather than a digital copy. Once it's gone, it's gone. If I choose to return later I can usually get it for much less than I sold it.

The fact I've done this most years since 2012 should probably teach me something...

Good call. I wish I had done the same thing. They sucked me in with the beta testing and early access. That said, Learned my lesson to never download any purchased title to a gaming console again.