WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• michael15172211
    477 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Tbh we should keep this thread up and going thru weekend league to see how we improve throughout the year
  • Chavez76
    2708 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well, this WL was terrible for me.
    Last weekend I was off on Friday, so I could devide the games decently over 3 days, yet this week was back to normal and was working on Friday, plus had social obligations in the evening. No games played on Fri.

I started playing on Saturday, and won the first 4, thinking I was on a roll and that my team improvements helped me a lot. Then ofcourse the matchmaking caught up with me, and I lost the next 6 games in a row. Should have taken that as a hint, but was stupid enough to play on (going against my own tip, dont play when you do not want to... ) and ended up on 7-11 when I finally stopped playing. Stupid day, bad fifa, some deserved wins and some derved losses, couple of the losses with Eaids but I also won some with .. lets say.. skill :)

On Sunday morning, my cats decided to wake me up early since they wanted food. I was up and running at 8AM, with coffea and breakfast. SInce again I had an appointment in the afternoon, started playing at 830. I started with another 2 losses, making it 7-13, and my goal of S1 / G3 was allmost out the window.
    This time I did follow my own ideas, stopped playing, got some more coffea, did some gardening and played with my cats and came back 2 hours later.

Refreshed in my head, I went on a winning streak of 4 again, making S1 so qualification was there (11-13), and still ha 6 games to get to G3 (I want 2 possible picks at crap players!!). Went away for some dinner and drinks and got back around 10pm to play my last 6.

Won the first easy (3-0 rage quit in the 30th minute) but last the next 2, one deserved yet on penalty's and one undeserved with me hitting the post and bar 4 times and him scoring the winner in the 92nd minute.
    12-15, still need 2 wins from 3 games.
    Luckily, won the next easy 3-0 and the game after was close. went 0-1 down, scored 2 to go 1 up and he equallised in the 85th. Going into overtime and no goals scored (him hitting the post in 120th minute..) and went into pens. He started and missed the first, I scored the first and from that moment on I knew I would beat him, which I did (he only scored 1 in the end, I didnt miss for some reason).

So, (Very) long story short, still ended up in G3 with 1 game to spare! happy on the result, unhappy on the way I played.

Lesson learned:
    Do Not Play When You Do Not Want To ot when you are annoyed!

(sorry for the pile of text)

• raul7kiev
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great thread! My best wishes!

From 98 in Fifa and it is my 4th UT season and... it was my first WL ever.
    I am not 7-Division player but on-line modes (with my connections|delays in every FIFa) was not my first choice )) Now suffering between 5 and 6.
    At start I hoped for silver 3 cause of 1000 points and my first red-card (out of pitch)))
    Start at friday after work and combine my matches with SB and find that WL-mode much more smooth and logical then SB this year.
    SB makes me angry for last 10 days after patch I do Elite 1 for three weeks playing at WC (last years I has never reached more then Elite 2 with Legendary difficult) but it is very nervous!

Ok and my first WL surpriced me. 15-15 in total and sleepy mood at work in monday ))

Some interisting moments:
    - I score 9 head-goals from corners with my tall team and missed only 1 from oponent corner with overhead from Cavani
    - It was only 1 penalty in 30 games and I scored it and no any penalties in my goal (in other game modes my Marquinos "brings me" 1 in 3-4 games constantly)
    - No any red card for 30 games
    - had only 5-6 halfs (not even a matches) with bad delay to which I begin to get used in SB
    - Like other mentions few games should have be mine but I think same amount should not
    - Oponents squads with +/- same rating with mine
    - Only one game with no any chance, this guy score 5 with Mkhitaryan - all finess outside the box from 7 shoots.
    - I can not use Hazard at all, NIF, POTM (thanks god only loan) does not matter in my arms he is no better then Di Maria with 7 chem. De Bruyne a little bit better but not worth 400k at all. Pogba raised his ratio in WL and he solid in every game mode for me. Trashy POTM Lucas in SB was really good in WL - absolute surprise. Defending line from PSG - Kimpembe, Marquinos, Buffon, Rabiot and If Menier was reliable.

It was interesting experience and looks like it is better to replace SB-games with WL. At least with this type of gameplay|delays.
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    Will play my first WL since 17. Last year did't realy had time and mainly played squad battles.

Will be totaly destroyed but have learned not rage...it's hard but i try my best.

Finished smoking after 29 years so this game tests my nerves. I think if i can go trough fifa online without lighting one i will be fine.. now im smoke free for 7 weeks.. and i have played pretty much :smile:

My teams for next WL

https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1064342

https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1064689
  • Jobiwan
    3239 posts National Call-Up
    lastfifa wrote: »
    Will play my first WL since 17. Last year did't realy had time and mainly played squad battles.

Will be totaly destroyed but have learned not rage...it's hard but i try my best.

Finished smoking after 29 years so this game tests my nerves. I think if i can go trough fifa online without lighting one i will be fine.. now im smoke free for 7 weeks.. and i have played pretty much :smile:

My teams for next WL

https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1064342

https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1064689

Congrats on giving up the smokes better man than me...

• It was never intentional, but this thread appears to have become THE place for crap new / improving WL players to hang out, grab a beer and chat until the early hours about formations, players, cartoon characters, super-hero Fellaini, smoking and cats.

@raul7kiev - well done for making it through your first WL and getting G3. Who's your main striker?

@lastfifa - that's an impressive number of special cards across the two teams - congrats! Is your intention to to play those teams alternately, or will one be your main team? As Chavez said, the key is to take breaks and not play when you're feeling enraged. And don't worry if you lose a lot of the first chunk of games - matchmaking will make it easier as you go on.

@Chavez76 - thanks for the "brief" update - well done for keeping it together long enough to make it to G3.

@michael15172211 - yep, let's try and keep this thread going, and see how we all get on over time.

Welcome one and all.
    May everyone's stays in the WL be long, enjoyable and filled with a ridiculously large number of high-rated red cards...
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    @EricVanDerek - congrats on your first WL. I finished E3 (again) but I enjoyed reading your thread and following the progress more than playing my own games. We’ve all been where you are, great to see you enjoying it, keep up the good work.
  • raul7kiev
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    EricVanDerek
    First half striker - Jesus. I know, I know )) but he is packed myself and I prepare coins for Raul.
    And for the second half it is Depay.
    I use 4-2-3-1 for start and wide opponent formations and 3-5-2 (with false 9 De Bryune and "return in defense" who score nothing and with his H/H always like my additional midfielder) against arrow oponents.
  • I'm back for another stab at sporting greatness mediocrity this WL...

Have been promoted to Div 6 in Rivals (see - there's hope for Sunderland yet...) so it will be interesting to see if I fare any better. I'll only have time for about 15 games this weekend, so don't expect to match my 8 wins (Silver 2) from my first WL.

I've improved my squad a bit - in particular to ensure I'm on 100 team Chem (thanks to forumers for the advice):
    - ditched Pique as his snail-like pace is no use in this game
    - brought in OTW Cancelo for Carvajal
    - got lucky with a UCL Matuidi, so he's in for Casemiro
    - brought in D Costa for Perisic (much as I love the latter, Costa links better with Telles at LB)

But I'm aware that everyone else's squads are likely to be much better in the two weeks since my first WL, so relatively I'm expecting to be at a disadvantage.
    eddopoolfc wrote: »
    playing 1st weekend league this week.
    Going to play my 1st WL this weekend

Welcome to anyone who's attempting WL for the first time this year - let us know how you get on.
    Good luck all
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    @lastfifa - that's an impressive number of special cards across the two teams - congrats! Is your intention to to play those teams alternately, or will one be your main team? As Chavez said, the key is to take breaks and not play when you're feeling enraged. And don't worry if you lose a lot of the first chunk of games - matchmaking will make it easier as you go on.

I always use two teams. Usualy play 2 games and then change the teams. I made some changes and will try ucl Fred in Matic's plase and Felipe Anderson on left side. Fraser is hit and miss in online games. I change formations during the game between 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-3-1 and bring swap Januzas as sub in attacking if i need fresh legs. Hes been great there and in 25 games has stats 13g 9a as sub who gets usualy 30mins game time.

Will get home... take a nap, make something good to eat and will start my fridays games. I'm alone this weekend so will just relax and play some fifa :)
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2190 posts Fans' Favourite
    My first stab at WL this year this weekend. Unlikely to get near 30 games but if I can have a 50/50 win ratio over what I do play I'll be happy.

• @Bigfootisblurry
    Welcome to the fun-filled FIFA fiesta - what Div are you in? Sounds like 11 wins is something to aim for (Silver 2 - auto qualification and no max on your player pick) Let us know how you get on.

I've just commenced my WL adventure - I started with my fitness team and got a win first up.
    I wasn't expecting that...
  • iRusty_yo
    3925 posts National Call-Up
    God I love this thread! Such a fun read. Good luck my man
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    First day was positive suprise. After 10 games i have 4 wins. My goal is to get 6 so i can get one player pick.

Was only smashed in on game where opponent was very good. Rest of the games i had possibility to win.

Update..

14 games 7w - 7l.

Post edited by lastfifa on
  • eddopoolfc
    367 posts Sunday League Hero
    already up to 25 games played, wow that went quick.

only on 8-17 (yep, I'm terrible) trying really hard to get to silver 2 to get that jumbo gold rare players pack but with 5 games left I might not even bother with it given what my record is.

just got to hope i get something decent with the player pick pack.
  • michael15172211
    edited October 2018
    finished the whole weekend league this time around and got 13-17 and finished Silver 1 again with the same team as last weekend, slayed a few icon teams as well on my way there, Diop is actually huge in defence for me never let's me down. Gotta say i am pretty chuffed to win 13 games with the teams i have. Last weekend it was all about heroics from Arnautovic and Weghourst this time they both came clutch as usual but it was more of a team effort with everyone contributing goals @EricVanDerek
  • michael15172211
    qns55t.png

10f8gft.png

Qualified for my first ever Weekend League and finally had time to play onf riday played 25 yesterday and finished 11-14 with these two squads, in the first team Antonio, Mane, Johansen, Tom Davies, Diop, Reid and Adrian are all untradeable and my most expensive purchase was Arnautocvic for like 3K, second team Werner, Dybala, Martial, Balde, Asamoah are all untradeable and my most expensive purchse was Weghourst for 750 coins and he now has like 106 goals in 104 games. Was expecting to be destroyed but did quite decent tbh, every team was better than mine and most games i was down 1-0, 2-0 managed to beat a few icon teams along the way too! Had to fight for every win, after 25 games i am too tired and don't expect myself to play the last 5 games tbh. I wonder what % of players i Rank in being Silver 1 as they usually say in SB. Really like your thread mate keep up the good work, was a great read tbh.

for those wondering this is my two teams for both weekend Leagues
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    After 20 games im 10-10 so need tomorrow get at least one win to get silver 1.

Pretty suprised about quality of games. Almosyt every game has been very good. Only one oppenent was playing like ****. He was leading 4-3 on 75min and started waste time with his fefenders and keeper. Grinded the ball back and equalised. Ended up beating him 8-4 in extra time.
  • This thread opened with the hugely self-indulgent personal story of my first ever experience of the FA cup - a 16-1 thrashing.

Amazingly - I assume because we were now on the FA's records - we played in the FA cup again the following year.

We'd obviously improved - we didn't concede as many goals as the previous year.
    Unfortunately we didn't have Rob in the team any more, so there was no-one to ping it into the top corner from 30 yards. (and no - it wasn't a no-look back-to-goal finesse...)

We lost 15-0.
    (and again the keeper was MOTM)

That is an improvement, right?!?

Let's see if my second WL shows as much progress....
  • Well done everyone - I'm so proud of you!
    I particularly love hearing stories of wumping time-wasters...

@eddopoolfc - best of luck with getting Silver 1 - it's the hallowed land (at least in the short term) as there's no max rating on your player pick (and the packs are better). That said, I wouldn't hold out much hope on getting a decent player (and if you do, don't tell the Elite players - they tend to get a bit touchy about that sort of thing.... ;-)
  • eddopoolfc
    367 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2018
    played another 3 games this morning, no luck at all.

played one god sqaud. had it 4-4 somehow with 10mins left, mertens came on and got a brace and killed me. That's FUT as they say.

back to the div 6 grind for me.

Finished the last few games now. Ended up with 10 wins, 1 short of getting to 11. Damn it. Faced an 86 rated team in the last match. Cheers match making!!.

Something to build for next week. :)
    Post edited by eddopoolfc on
  • Bigfootisblurry
    @Bigfootisblurry
    Welcome to the fun-filled FIFA fiesta - what Div are you in? Sounds like 11 wins is something to aim for (Silver 2 - auto qualification and no max on your player pick) Let us know how you get on.

I've just commenced my WL adventure - I started with my fitness team and got a win first up.
    I wasn't expecting that...

I'm fairly comfortable in div 5 at the minute, slowly climbing. I'm 4 and 1 at the minute, maybe play another 10 today, so 11 is the target but really not bothered if I don't hit it.
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    Got silver 1 and 8 games remaining. Will try to get gold 3.

Need a brake as played eaids game where i knew from the start i will lose. Opponent had every bounce in his advance.. grinded the lead but i knew i couldn t hold it. His 0 stamina swap Alcazer destroyed me in last minutes. Guy was faster with the ball than my ucl Fred who just came from the bench.

First game of the weekend that got me mad.
  • NeymarJr85
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just finished my first WL this year. Managed to get gold 3, 14 wins and 10 losses. Still 6 games left but I’m too tired now. Cavani, Fekir and UCL Pogba saved me so many times :)
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    Damn got gold 3.. and 3 games to spare.

• Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    OP, what's your team looking like?
  • Bigfootisblurry
    Made it to 11-8. Might play a few more later but I'm quite happy with that as a first showing.

As an aside, it's nice to have a positive thread like this around. Certainly beats moaning.
  • nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    EricVanDerek, just came across this thread, very good read.
    I played my first WL last week, I can`t remember but I think I won slightly less than lost eg 6-9 ??
    but my Rivals Div 6 is more positive than negative.
    I only really started playing online last year 18, only had Fifa 14 & 15, but bad connections did not help me shouting / swearing at my tv.
    This year, I have a cable into my internet & a monitor, which helps alot esp with lag.
    So things are better, shame I am not a great player.
    I dont think I have a consistent formation, CT`s yet ??. I am playing the same 2 La Liga teams.
    I have 420k though, just not sure about spending it yet.
    I did not play much this past week, & did not qualify for WL.
    Good luck to you !
  • lastfifa
    1660 posts Play-Off Hero
    Noticed funny thing in my last game that sealed gold 3..

Was leading 3-1 and started to make subs as i noticed that my scream Caceres was running out of fitness. I forgot to swap him in my premier team so he wasn't recovering fitness during whole WL. He did fine all 14 games he played.
  • Hi. Just started fut 19. Can we change the game lengh fot solo mode? And online mode? I mean 6 minutes per half time is very long...