WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• skinnyn4
    47 posts Park Captain
    On my best start this year. 8 wins from 11. As it's extended I should get all 30 games in. Hoping for G2.
  • MortiferVaughan
    194 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Well that was terrible. Worst WL yet, yet have no idea why. Had to win my final game just to get G3 after my awful run yesterday, and failed. Destroyed the guy, but yet my shots went wide, passes couldn't find their man, and of course with one of my opponent's rare attack my defense decided to open up.

Silver 3 it is. Days like these it's hard to not just sell my team in anger (maybe I would if they weren't mostly untradables)
  • limjitwe
    6103 posts Big Money Move
    Just finished my best WL finish. Ended up 17-8. Decided to take it as mission accomplished and very happy with my overall performance.

Lewandowski had a great first WL outing. RTTF Sanches impressed too but didn’t score. Figo has a good outing as well scoring some crucial goals. Martial IF needs an upgrade which I need to save up

Notable game was a game which I was down 0-3 in 25 min. Opponent’s Neymar and Mbappe were running rings around my players. Decided not to DNF and play. I scored back 2 goals through Lewan and Pogba. 2-3! He immediately scored a header with Kante 2-4. Opponents players were getting tired due to team pressing early on. I subbed on Ibrah and shifted Marcelo to CDM to turn the tide. It worked. I started dominating and equalised 4-4. 89 min Ibrah scored again. 5-4 to me.

I thought this could have been my greatest comeback. But no, fate is cruel to me. Opponent gave me a taste of my own medicine with his Ibrah scoring a finesse in the 93 to make it 5-5. Extra time was abit scruffy. Finally in the 118 min. His Ibrah scored with a deflected finesse again. My players then lost all the fire in them and succumbed to a weak finish to the game.

I’ve to salute to their valiant effort for mounting and almost succeeding an impossible come back.
  • aladdin
    650 posts An Exciting Prospect
    just lost three in a row. am done for today. will finish tomorrow!
  • Crazymundo
    91 posts Park Captain
    Ahhhhhhhh.......

I can sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of my weekend. Another G3 finish with 2 games to spare. (Have given away 2 free wins....I better get rewarded in heaven for this kind gesture)

Again....some good wins and some poor losses. Starting to think I’ve reached my ability level and feel no amount of team upgrades will improve that. Since the start of November it’s been constant G3 (apart from 1 silver1 and a ‘I still can’t belive it’ G2).....but I’ll keep trying.

Team wise I am happy.
    4-3-3

GK Handanovic (had him since day one-ever present)

RB SIF Cancelo (Mr Constistent)
    LB IF Alex Sandro (the steam engine)
    CB Chiellini (looks ugly and plays ugly)
    CB. Prime Baresi (short but sweet)

CM. RTTF SMS (he’s class with a pass)
    CM Prime Keane (a leader of men)
    CM Fabinho (Standard issue-everyone has him)

RF.Prime Figo(the magician-where did Figo)
    ST. Prime Larsson (the king of kings)
    LF Coutinho (the angry wasp)

The next upgrade will be LF. Ideas welcome. Stipulations are that he needs to be Brazilian/series a/BPL to have a full Chem team. Preferably fast, strong and last all night long.

Keep posting your exploits guys. Sharing is caring.....

• EricVanDerek
    605 posts An Exciting Prospect
    So far just the one loss this WL.
    Time for a big push tomorrow to try and make ... well, the sky’s the limit.

That said, I doubt I’ll be able to fit all 28 remaining games in.... 😁

Good luck to everyone still slogging away.
    We believe in you!
  • Wz000
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    From being 16-14 last week it looks like I’ll be lucky to get silver 1 this week 5-10. Getting paired up against much better players also some games feel like they are pedecided. Couldn’t win the ball away from my last opponent, then Varane put una 35 yard finesse ridiculous
  • FrankLampard
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I finished in Gold 3. Might give next weeks a skip. I made a good bit trading yesterday. Had 2.5k and turned it into 150k in about 2 hours last night. Next weekend league I’ll be able to improve my team massively. Gonna get Sandro and walker along with kante and de bruyne.
  • limjitwe
    6103 posts Big Money Move
    I finished in Gold 3. Might give next weeks a skip. I made a good bit trading yesterday. Had 2.5k and turned it into 150k in about 2 hours last night. Next weekend league I’ll be able to improve my team massively. Gonna get Sandro and walker along with kante and de bruyne.

Wow what did you do?
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    My losing streak continued and I lost another 2 games, which made my WL record to 6 wins in 17 games...at that point I worried whether I could even finish at S1. Then things turned around all of a sudden! I won 8 of my next 9 games, improved my record to 14W-12L, and secured G3 with 4 games to go!!! I decided to give G2 a shot (as usual).

Game 27th: A very even match. Game was tied at 1-1 after regulation. In the 115th minute my striker missed a tab in from 5 yards in front of the goal...then in the 118th minute my Hamsik was unmarked --> hit a volley from inside the box --> and my shot hit the cross bar...I eventually lost this game in penalty shootout....

Game 28th: Won

Game 29th: I hit the post 3 times within the first 16 minutes of the game and I already had a bad feeling about this game. Finished the first half with a 2-1 lead. In the 2nd half I totally dominated the game, but no matter what I do my guys just kept missing easy shots....in the 90th minutes my opponent scored a goal via counter and forced extra time.

In extra time I continued to dominate the game, but my guys just acted the same way and missed chance after chance. In the 120th minute, my opponent scored another goal via counter...and I lost this game 2-3....and he only had 3 shots on goal this game....

On one hand I am very glad that I make G3 this week, especially since I come back from a poor 6-11 start, but on the other hand it just left such a bad taste in my mouth given the way how my quest to G2 ended...
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Crazymundo wrote: »
    As mentioned in an earlier post we have 8 brave and bold teams entered into our FIFA Novices Champions Cup. The draw has been conducted and is as follows...

@VTMaldini V. @Mako_Sulu

@lastfifa V. Crazymundo

@Wz000 V @Andyzim

@EricVanDerek V. @iRusty_yo

Completely destroyed by @Mako_Sulu and lost 1-4.
    Well, a good proof that I am really a FIFA novice. lol
  • iRusty_yo
    3389 posts National Call-Up
    VTMaldini wrote: »
    As mentioned in an earlier post we have 8 brave and bold teams entered into our FIFA Novices Champions Cup. The draw has been conducted and is as follows...

@VTMaldini V. @Mako_Sulu

@lastfifa V. Crazymundo

@Wz000 V @Andyzim

@EricVanDerek and I are trying to fit a game in this week.

@VTMaldini, don’t worry man. Bit of fun ^^
  • aladdin
    650 posts An Exciting Prospect
    man i found weekend league so hard this week. first time i’d been rinsed by 5 or 6 a few times. ouch
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect

@VTMaldini V. @Mako_Sulu

@lastfifa V. Crazymundo

@Wz000 V @Andyzim

Nah, a dubious penalty and a goalmouth scramble goal added glamour to the scoreline!
  • Racingeye1
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    gods sake
    3rd WL same result as the other 2
    silver bloomin 2
    its annoying i feel like i could win more but whatever team i have it lets me down i bought courtois as everyone said hes amazing, flapped around like a stunned pigeon and let in 4 in one bloomin half
    hate this game
    see you next week if i survive the div rivals grind to get 1000 points!!!
  • MadScorpion12
    148 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @G3 now with 4 games left to play. Had a great run in the middle then a dreaded losing streak where I faced some monsterous teams. Got back to winning after changing formation from 433 to 4411. Last match to get to 14 won a nailbiter pk shootout. Hopefully I can win 3 more in a row so as to not have to wait til game 30 in a must win sitch
  • BGAlum
    803 posts Semi-Pro
    Racingeye1 wrote: »
    gods sake
    3rd WL same result as the other 2
    silver bloomin 2
    its annoying i feel like i could win more but whatever team i have it lets me down i bought courtois as everyone said hes amazing, flapped around like a stunned pigeon and let in 4 in one bloomin half
    hate this game
    see you next week if i survive the div rivals grind to get 1000 points!!!

And there is just one of the many reasons I have retired from WL and for the most part Rivals. The same results though I know I could do better and other times feel completely out of my league... and I know I am not that horrible. Least the few games I have had against the ever improving @EricVanDerek ....

• Jaymizzo
    2345 posts Fans' Favourite
    Had 5 games to get to G1. Told myself that if I lose the first game out of the 5, I'd be happy with G2. That's exactly what happened but I knew I would lose the moment we started playing. Hit the post 3 times in the first half, literally said to myself he will score on his first attack... Which happened with PEA.

Go on to try a few more (De Gea is annoying) and he scored with a near post corner. Finished the game but turned FIFA off after. G2 is good enough.
  • EricVanDerek
    BGAlum wrote: »
    ... and I know I am not that horrible. Least the few games I have had against the ever improving @EricVanDerek ....

I hate to break it to you @BGAlum, but playing well against me is not a particularly good yardstick of being "not that horrible".

I made it to S1 again (with 8 games to go), but man it was hard work.
    I was 8-5 by mid afternoon Monday, then played again much later and only won 3 from 9.
    As I've said before, for crap improving players like me (most of you seem to have left me way behind...), playing late at night UK time means there are fewer similar level players to be matched against - a couple of the opponents were fantastic.

I tinkered with my team this WL, dropping Suarez (for Prime Lineker), Veron and Ramos.

Lineker was incredible for me - not brilliant at hold up play, but once around the box he was lethal - scoring 21 in 14.

I used loan Prime Keane in place of Veron for much of this weekend - he added more solidity to my midfield alongside Kante, kept the ball moving and he chipped in with a couple of goals. Not sure he's the long-term answer, but he certainly worked better for me than big Juan.
    Once he'd gone I used SBC Doucoure and SBC Casemiro for a couple of games each - but neither did what I needed.

FS Militao was dropped as CB after just the one game - he was nowhere near as dominant as Ramos.
    I then bought 87 VVD (using the funds from selling Veron), and immediately noticed the difference.
    Still trying to decide which two out of Ramos, VVD and 88 Rijkaard I should stick with - Rijkaard is looking the most likely to be sold, but he does have big benefits for the chemistry of my team.

But does it really matter anyway?
    If the game decided it was time for my players to turn into goo-mannequins, then it didn't matter who I was using.

I can't wait for the new patch - I know it will only scratch the surface of the problems with this game (and won't address the goo-mannequins), but at least it will be something...
  • Mmandras
    1414 posts Professional
    I was broken after one game leading 4:0 and lost 5:4 until the end. Stopped at S1 with about 5 games left. As usual, great start about 5-6 wins without loss but after that encountered (for the first time) finesse shot abusers and some of the greatest players I've evered played against.
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    16-14, my "Favourite" result.
    Two match-balls for G2 and lost both.
    9-6 in friday and last 15 games yesterday evening: against 13 solid teams, 10 timed-finishers and goalie-moovers. Can not understand how i won 3/3 penalty series, San Iker!
    Too many games with result like 5-4 this week and really bad gameplay.
  • iRusty_yo
    Mako_Sulu wrote: »

@VTMaldini V. @Mako_Sulu

@lastfifa V. Crazymundo

@Wz000 V @Andyzim

Nah, a dubious penalty and a goalmouth scramble goal added glamour to the scoreline!

@EricVanDerek and I had our game. It was a blast, creative goals were scored by both, defending was top form. Both Eric & I agree to play again at some point.

Score:
    5L18nq0.jpg
    Don’t let the score line fool you, I got extremely lucky with 3 goals

• EricVanDerek
    iRusty_yo wrote: »
    @EricVanDerek and I had our game.

You may remember that I started this thread (three and a half months ago - how time flies when you're having fun...) with the story of my first ever foray into the FA Cup.
    Followed by my second ever foray.
    Resulting in a combined scoreline over the two years of 1-31.

Well, the trauma of those two games was nothing compared to what @iRusty_yo has just put me through...

It wasn't a "game" - it was 90 minutes of full-on unmitigated torture; my players have emerged with PTSD, and if I ever have to face TOTY Mbappe again I'm likely to break out in a rash and hide under a table for a month...

And yet... it was indeed an utter blast.

About 8-10 years ago (back in the days when I had reactions...) I was in a FIFA league, where we played friendlies and did our own league. Obviously FUT has taken over, and the desperate grind to get ever more better players is all-consuming. But playing a few people on this thread over the past few weeks has reminded me of the fun of playing against someone you "know", and sharing comments / tips after the game. I doubt we'll ever get back to that, which is a shame - but hopefully we can fit in the odd "friendly" once a week in amongst all the mayhem.

Anyway - thanks again @iRusty_yo for the "game".
    I look forward to a rematch again soon - I've already got my therapist on red-alert... :)
  • Racingeye1

You may remember that I started this thread (three and a half months ago - how time flies when you're having fun...) with the story of my first ever foray into the FA Cup.

Well, the trauma of those two games was nothing compared to what @iRusty_yo has just put me through...

It wasn't a "game" - it was 90 minutes of full-on unmitigated torture; my players have emerged with PTSD, and if I ever have to face TOTY Mbappe again I'm likely to break out in a rash and hide under a table for a month...

About 8-10 years ago (back in the days when I had reactions...) I was in a FIFA league, where we played friendlies and did our own league. Obviously FUT has taken over, and the desperate grind to get ever more better players is all-consuming. But playing a few people on this thread over the past few weeks has reminded me of the fun of playing against someone you "know", and sharing comments / tips after the game. I doubt we'll ever get back to that, which is a shame - but hopefully we can fit in the odd "friendly" once a week in amongst all the mayhem.

I look forward to a rematch again soon - I've already got my therapist on red-alert... :)

What league were you in mate I used to be a mod on one
  • EricVanDerek

Most of the time we each had an English championship club, but a few times we could select any 4 star team.
    It did make it more of a level playing field - so no TOTY Mbappe's to cause mayhem...
  • iRusty_yo

You’re giving me far too much credit. I believe the mix of tactics played a large part in that game as your defending was great. I had to really look for space to make a pass and the one second I switched off you got a goal and a great one too. Made that killer pass to Hazard which left me in no man’s land.

I’d say for your play style you don’t need Kante, you’re actively jumping into tackles with your CB’s and getting the ball back successfully. I would say get a card with better passing stats instead of Kante and a solid CDM next to him.

I did look to exploit the area where your Firmino should have sat and with that in mind I’m bit nervy to play a rematch once you have filled that weak area of your squad.

• Racingeye1

Most of the time we each had an English championship club, but a few times we could select any 4 star team.
    It did make it more of a level playing field - so no TOTY Mbappe's to cause mayhem...

Ah ok I was part of an online league thing
  • Wz000
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special

@VTMaldini V. @Mako_Sulu

@lastfifa V. Crazymundo

@Wz000 V @Andyzim

Ties to be completed by 6pm GMT Sunday 03/0219. (A week on Sunday)

Rules are simple. Contact your opponent. Arrange a convenient time for both. Play your match. Extra time and penalties if required and then post your result. Once the results are in I will conduct the draw for the semi finals.

Any questions let me know.

Best of luck guys......

Won the match between @Andyzim and myself was fun.
  • Andyzim
    75 posts Park Captain
    Yes, well played. When I went 2-1 down I went a little too attacking and got hit on the counter too many times.
  • iRusty_yo
    Good luck everyone !