WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• aladdin
    636 posts An Exciting Prospect
    got gold 2 but had three games where the **** i was playing quit after getting a red card. the 3 matches were all 0-0 as well. such a **** move
  • FalconFan
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited January 21
    Second WL even more disappointing than the first.

8 wins but at least all games completed without any server glitches.

Think I prefer rivals as I can spread out the games and can play more and even if I lose can still get positive points.

Found the celebrations and replay watching more annoying on WL since we have more games to play and less time. Went through a stretch of not being able to find a match even, which was a new experience.
  • tatadwader
    2237 posts Fans' Favourite
    Horlj wrote: »
    Scraped G1.

2 Weekend Leagues now, and Ibra is absolutely terrible. Feels slow, clumsy, weak and can barely shoot. Brought middle Crespo back into the fold and he's back to scoring instantly, so, so much better.

I'm with you. Ibra just can't get the ball off his feet. He loses it all the time. Scores when he's actually in the box with the ball, but those opportunities are few and far between.
  • tatadwader
    2237 posts Fans' Favourite
    tatadwader wrote: »
    Horlj wrote: »
    Scraped G1.

2 Weekend Leagues now, and Ibra is absolutely terrible. Feels slow, clumsy, weak and can barely shoot. Brought middle Crespo back into the fold and he's back to scoring instantly, so, so much better.

I'm with you. Ibra just can't get the ball off his feet. He loses it all the time. Scores when he's actually in the box with the ball, but those opportunities are few and far between.

His near post corners tho... I guess I should just bring him off the bench late in the game for those.
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    My "win one lose one" streak continued and my record went to 11-12. Then I gained some momentum and won the next 3 games to improved my record to 14-12. All those 3 wins were decided by 1 goal margin!

Now that G2 is secured. With 4 games to go I have a shot at G1. Time to bring out loan Ronaldo!
    Only that I hit hard by reality and lost game 27th by 1-4....and my back was against the wall....

Game 28th: Ended first half with a 3-0 lead. But in the second half it's like I was playing a different game. I blew my lead and my opponent leveled things up to 3-3 at the 82th minute and forced extra time. Luckily things seemed to went back to normal in extra time. I scored again in the first and second half of ET and made it to 5-3. My opponent scored again at the 115th minute and almost scored another one at the 119th which he missed an 1-on-1 fast break. The game finally ended at 5-4.

Game 29th: Finished the first half with a 3-1 lead. Opponent quit at the half time break. Yes!!!

Game 30th: Scored around the 15th min and took a 1-0 lead. Opponent quit game right afterward. YES!!!!!!!!

I still can't believe I earn G2 this week, especially given my poor performance midway through this WL!!!

Good news is that Ronaldo's price is dropping now and is getting close to 2 million. I should be able to buy him before the next WL begins and can say good bye to my loan Ronaldo.
  • EricVanDerek
    584 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Congrats to everyone for surviving WL enough to be able to use your bodily functions to write your posts.

To use a manager cliche - "it's a team game, we're all in this together and I don't want to single anyone out, but I thought @VTMaldini had the game of his life, and should be very proud of what he's achieved..."

Sounds like a lot of frustration out there this week - I feel you guys (and gals), I feel you.

As expected, I ran out of time, ending on S1 with 8 games to spare.

At times I was playing fantasy football (if I do say so myself) - a couple of my goals would have been (real) goal of the season contenders - playing it out from the back, a neat turn away from the defender here, a slinky dribble there, a reverse pass into an overlapping run, and BAM !!! - pick that one out...

But more often than not I felt I was fighting the game rather than my opponent:
    - being chased by an angry pitchfork-wielding mob intent on GBH for the full 120 minutes (at one point I was laughing so much at the ridiculousness of two tackles through the back of my forwards in the box, that I didn't press anything for fully 10 seconds...);
    - hating seeing their stacked yet somehow 82 rated team on the loading screen because I knew my players would become 11 store mannequins who turn to slimy goo (copyright @andyzim)...
    - scared to go ahead too early because I knew what would happen next;
    - going into a button-mashing frenzy every time they got a kick-off...

Two random (and pretty meaningless) stats I'm pretty proud of:
    - I've won my last 7 penalty shoot-outs
    - over the past 2 WLs, my worst possession % has been 50% (and that was against a very very good player). And before you ask, no I don't just pass it around the back all game... Now, if only I could do something meaningful with that possession...

For those still to report - come on, bring us more good news
    For those who've had the weekend off - you lucky bast***s :)

And for those creepers and lurkers out there (you know who you are) - welcome, welcome in advance!
  • EricVanDerek
    On a side note, what sort of teams are people coming up against?
    Now, I'm averaging a 50-50 win-loss ratio, so other than on Friday I'm unlikely to be playing the best players.

But I'm surprised about how few Icons / TOTY / FS (other than loans - grrrr, don't get me started....) I've been coming up against.

Lots of Ibra as sub, but that only scares me if the player is good at skilling.

And only once in the last 2 WLs has my Suarez had the confusion of seeing his doppelgänger on the opposition side as well.
    Once I'm in the box I love Suarez, but his hold-play and passing regularly frustrates, and so eventually I want to upgrade. The only (very minor) problem is lack of coins..
  • Chavez76
    1812 posts Play-Off Hero
    in the first 3 matches on Friday I came up against 6 (!?) TotY players.. at one point I thought I missed out on a guaranteed SBC for these.. After that< had some icons against me but certainly not as much as I expected.
    (coming from someone who playes with 2 icons himself, and still can only make G3 ..)
  • Racingeye1
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    8w...again
    I have improved soooooo much from last week as I'm now still in the game at 90 mins either drawing or either 1 in it.
    Losing soo many goals by through balls, the ball is kicked my defenders start to run then stop and chat to each other "oi sanchez was that the ball?" "Er I'm not sure" "why is jesus running around doing that stupid dab thing" " oh crap it was the ball"
    The other annoying goal loss is lobbed ball to Usain bolt on the wing, cross it in my defenders jump but Billy shortarse out jumps them..goal
    And don't get me started on the 45 90 105 120 min goals
  • Batman_Llanber
    1161 posts Professional
    Last weekend i came up against 0 NIF Ronaldo this weekend 3 TOTY Ronaldo 😥
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finished on 14-4 , lack of time and desire to go any further.

I have a weekend away for this coming weekend so won't be playing, considering selling up my whole team and leaving for a while.

It's all a bit repetitive
  • Jaymizzo
    2345 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finally got into Gold 1 for the second time this year, been Gold 2 and locked there for a very long time. Ibra MVP.

Let's see if rewards will be kind.
  • FrankLampard
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    VTMaldini wrote: »

Good news is that Ronaldo's price is dropping now and is getting close to 2 million. I should be able to buy him before the next WL begins and can say good bye to my loan Ronaldo.
    Didn’t realize ROnaldo was so cheap , I probably wouldn’t have done the Raul SBC if I’d know but oh well

• Chavez76
    1812 posts Play-Off Hero
    2 million <> so cheap .. :)
  • aladdin
    636 posts An Exciting Prospect

I have a weekend away for this coming weekend so won't be playing, considering selling up my whole team and leaving for a while.

i sell my entire team after every weekend league i play. get bored otherwise
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    aladdin wrote: »

i sell my entire team after every weekend league i play. get bored otherwise

Couldnt face losing 5% tax every weekend league lol would be fairly pointless for me as my whole team is tradable.
  • Andyzim
    70 posts Park Captain
    It must be a disadvantage having to play a lot of the games on a Friday. I probably came up against at least 7 or 8 teams with icons during the 30 in the end. My friend who reached gold 3 in the 30th game said he didn't see one icon all weekend.
  • VTMaldini
    33 posts Last Pick at the Park
    My opponents usually have 1-2 icons at most. Maybe that's just because of my skill level and I am not matching against folks at the top tier.

I would say over 75% of the time I am playing against EPL teams with the same group of guys up front (Hazard, Auba, Kante, Pogba, etc) and a lot of them just take advantage with the game mechanics like long lob pass from their own half, finesse outside the box etc.

In one of my first five WL game I played against a guy with TOTY Ronaldo. I had a 2-0 lead early, hoped he would quit game which he didn't, and eventually lost that game 2-5. His TOTY Ronaldo scored at least 4 goals and turned everything he touched to goal....
  • EricVanDerek
    VTMaldini wrote: »
    His TOTY Ronaldo scored at least 4 goals and turned everything he touched to goal....

If this thread doesn’t win some kind of award for brilliance in the English language, then there’s no justice in the world...
  • Wz000
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 21
    Was 1 win away from a gold 2 finish. guy subbed on LOAN R9 and turned the game around from being up 3-1 to losing 3-4 lost to a last min goal of course. The way the game goes sometimes really ticks me off. Hate that you can use loan cards in WL.
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    PROPOSAL.....

Novices I was having a wee think and thought this might be a fun idea. You might agree or u might shoot me down but I’ll put it out there anyway.

THE NOVICES CHAMPIONS CUP

As there seems to be a few regular posters and maybe a few who follow this thread I propose a tournament for novices. Obviously there may people from all over the planet so the logistics might be problematic but these can be overcome.

The proposal is 8 players (we can do it with 16 if that amount is interested) competing in a basic ko competition.

Once the teams are in I would conduct a draw. The players would be then responsible for contacting each other and playing the tie in that game week.

Example if 8 teams.

Week commencing 28/1/19 - Round of 8

Week commencing 04/2/19 - semi-final

Week commencing 11/2/19 - final

Time commitments would be very little as it’s only 1 game per week and would only require 3 games over a 3 week period.

The winner of their tie would be responsible for posting the result on here no later than the Sunday evening prior to the next game week. They can post the score or a match report.....whatever u fancy.

Entrants would be on a first come first served basis. Just post on here if interested.
    As of now there are 7 places available. If demand is high and we get 16 players then the tournament will run over a 4 week period. Friday 25/1/19 @6pm is the deadline for registration.

As for prizes unfortunately I can only offer the title of Mr Novices Champion.

Let me know if interested.

PS. No pros or elite players.
  • iRusty_yo
    3191 posts National Call-Up
    Crazymundo wrote: »
    PROPOSAL.....

Novices I was having a wee think and thought this might be a fun idea. You might agree or u might shoot me down but I’ll put it out there anyway.

THE NOVICES CHAMPIONS CUP

As there seems to be a few regular posters and maybe a few who follow this thread I propose a tournament for novices. Obviously there may people from all over the planet so the logistics might be problematic but these can be overcome.

The proposal is 8 players (we can do it with 16 if that amount is interested) competing in a basic ko competition.

Once the teams are in I would conduct a draw. The players would be then responsible for contacting each other and playing the tie in that game week.

Example if 8 teams.

Week commencing 28/1/19 - Round of 8

Week commencing 04/2/19 - semi-final

Week commencing 11/2/19 - final

Time commitments would be very little as it’s only 1 game per week and would only require 3 games over a 3 week period.

The winner of their tie would be responsible for posting the result on here no later than the Sunday evening prior to the next game week. They can post the score or a match report.....whatever u fancy.

Entrants would be on a first come first served basis. Just post on here if interested.
    As of now there are 7 places available. If demand is high and we get 16 players then the tournament will run over a 4 week period. Friday 25/1/19 @6pm is the deadline for registration.

As for prizes unfortunately I can only offer the title of Mr Novices Champion.

Let me know if interested.

PS. No pros or elite players.

I’m keen
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    @iRusty_yo

Good man....your player 2.....hopefully get enough interest.

Will post further info and tag you in later this week if or when numbers are confirmed.
  • EricVanDerek
    Great idea
    I'm in.

(although given that Crazymundo has beaten me (ok - thrashed me) in both friendlies we've played, I've got a funny feeling that I may know my first round opponent already...)
  • Andyzim
    70 posts Park Captain
    I'd be up for this
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    @EricVanDerek
    @Andyzim

Cheers guys....you will be teams 3 and 4 respectively.

Again once numbers confirmed I can set out the ground rules.

Also EricVanDerek there is a big difference between our friendlies and the high pressured cup games. For intensity think WL to the power of 10.
  • Racingeye1
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Be warned....I used to help with (was a mod for the newbies) something called PGL ages ago (pro gamer leagues)
    It was a league based online fifa comp, you were put in divisions, prem 1,2,3 etc and where you finished is when you picked your team
    It got very very very competitive lol
  • Wz000
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’d be down
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    @Wz000

We have our 5th team.

Come on guys.....only 3 more players required for the minimum number to run this competition.
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'd be down if there is still space.