WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Shehraj
    5729 posts Big Money Move
    I know everyone's been waiting with breath-abated to discover how my first ever WL ended up...
    But first, thanks for all your support and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you.
    No, seriously-- (breaks down in tears, pause to pull myself back together...)

I ended on 8-15.

Yes, I could have gone for those three more wins from the final 7 games, but life took over on Sunday (I know - no commitment, eh?...). But it's 8 more wins than I was expecting, and it gives me something to work towards in future WLs.

Things I'll try and remember for next time (hopefully this will help other crap improving players out there):

- don't worry about a poor start (I was 1-6); it will mean you'll be matched with other crap improving players.
    - teams aren't as chock-full of Icons etc as I'd expected (at least at the weaker end of match-making) - I didn't come across one, and only a couple of squads were better than my 86-rated (interestingly both German league).
    - but be prepared for high pressure and refs who - at least currently - don't seem to mind you being assaulted from behind . I spent the first half of the WL complaining to the TV that the ref was flippin' blind - strangely it didn't make the slightest bit of difference. Get over it, develop strategies to cope with it.
    - And everyone has very pacey forwards / wingers. So be prepared. Unfortunately my Pique just wasn't quick enough to cope with a continual bombardment of through balls, so post WL I swapped him for Thiago, and have noticed a big improvement already.
    - you will improve. Initially I wasn't sure, but over the course of the 20 games I realised the crapness was definitely on the decline... In particular, I'm more patient with the ball, more clinical in front of goal, and better at defending (which I do manually, in case you hadn't realised by now ;-).
    - you'll suffer kick-off goals, ridiculous bicycle kicks from everyone, bad bounces, 90th minute goals, etc etc. Get over it - EA (at least currently) seem more interested in an "exciting" game than a game that is "fair", so you'll just have to live with it.
    - Above all, remember it's just a game, and there are other, far more important things in life. But - whilst it's far from perfect, and I know it's not a universally-shared opinion, this FIFA is bloody good fun !

Great going dude! Believe it or not even getting 8 wins places you above most of the players in the game considering how competitive WL is. I myself had a miserable WL, finishing 12-17 when I was a gold 2/1 player last year, gotta improve as well
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4219 posts National Call-Up
    Only made weekend league once last year after attempting every week :D so was nice to get a chance this week I was aiming for 8 wins but managed 11 with 2 games to spare .
    I was surprised that weekend league was very similar to rivals division 5 only difference was people pressed the ball a bit quicker
  • Thuq
    929 posts Semi-Pro
    Only made weekend league once last year after attempting every week :D so was nice to get a chance this week I was aiming for 8 wins but managed 11 with 2 games to spare .
    I was surprised that weekend league was very similar to rivals division 5 only difference was people pressed the ball a bit quicker

Congrats dude well done!
  • EricVanDerek
    668 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Shehraj wrote: »
    Great going dude! Believe it or not even getting 8 wins places you above most of the players in the game considering how competitive WL is. I myself had a miserable WL, finishing 12-17 when I was a gold 2/1 player last year, gotta improve as well

Cheers
    Obviously, you now know where to come if you need advice on how to improve ... ;-)
  • Great thread, thanks for the read. Good luck next time!
  • EricVanDerek

Well played sir!

If players like you and I - who made a grand total of one combined WL appearance last year - can come away with a combined 19 - 32 record, then it's great that it's allowing more people to take part in the WL.

Would be interesting to know if that widening of the talent pool has led to more people getting better rewards this year than last?
    (the random logic behind this statement: someone who went 8-32 last year will now end up playing a whole load more people worse than them (e.g. me) and may move to, say, a 12-18 record this year)
  • - Above all, remember it's just a game, and there are other, far more important things in life. But - whilst it's far from perfect, and I know it's not a universally-shared opinion, this FIFA is bloody good fun !

THIS! I and probably a lot of us need to remember that yes it is just a game but in the heat of competition its so easy to get drawn into the frustration when your players dont execute what you intended them to do.
    8 wins is a great start and something to build on... onwards and upwards
  • Tommygunn
    3127 posts National Call-Up

Well played sir!

If players like you and I - who made a grand total of one combined WL appearance last year - can come away with a combined 19 - 32 record, then it's great that it's allowing more people to take part in the WL.

Would be interesting to know if that widening of the talent pool has led to more people getting better rewards this year than last?
    (the random logic behind this statement: someone who went 8-32 last year will now end up playing a whole load more people worse than them (e.g. me) and may move to, say, a 12-18 record this year)

To be honest when first introduced I struggled to qualify for it towards the end of the first season I would qualify every week. I did feel as though I improved though it does at times show the worst In the community with over celebrating etc

Glad you done well hopefully you pack something decent. Plus your 1000 points gets you half way there to this weekends WL
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite

Well played sir!

I think it does lead to more people ranking higher up. Already 30+ people who got perfect records last week and I finished with a 2-1 w/l ratio with 2 games to spare. Better than I managed at any point last edition
  • EricVanDerek
    Tommygunn wrote: »
    Plus your 1000 points gets you half way there to this weekends WL

Let me just clarify something here - this weekend I'm going nowhere near WL (even if I were to qualify) - thumbs, brain and heart all need a chance to recover. When you get to my advanced years, there's a very real danger that too many WL games on the spin will short-circuit the old ticker ;-)
  • Pazman
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park
    It was my firsts WL too and I had the same expectations as you, and also finished with 7 wins with 4 games to spare, I also ran out of time to go for the 11, but this week that will be my target
  • Chavez76
    2400 posts Fans' Favourite
    almost feel embarrased to post it, but my first WL too for Fifa'19 ..

For some reason, I did WAY better then expected. I was composed and it helped a lot that I was off on Friday so I could play on all three days. Ended up on Gold3 with 5 matches to spare.
    (last year my highest ever finish was Gold 2 btw).

Learned:
    - Play matches when you feel you WANT to play. Dont rush it, matches you play while rushed / annoyed / angry / unfocused you will loose (well, I did)
    - Take a break every 4-5 matches max. I lost compusre after match 3, or 4. if I played 5 in a row, the last one, regardless of results from the first4, I always lost, so 4 is the magic number for me
    - Stupid tip, but staying hydrated(spelling?) helped me as well keeping focussed
    - Devide the games over the days (see also point 2)
    - Play with a team you like, meta or not. This year is the 'best' year in regards to playing with different players I feel. Helps you stay happy while playing as well

These were the main things for me, sorry for the thread highjack, and maybe some of you can do something with these points :)
  • EricVanDerek
    Doesn't ever count as a thread hijack if it's useful & polite ;)
    May pack luck be forever with you kind sir...

It was tough enough fitting in 30 games this w/e around a "life" - I can't imagine what it must have been like last year with 40, feeling you had to churn out the games.
  • pedro___
    277 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice post ever.
    The FA compararion was :smiley:
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    almost feel embarrased to post it, but my first WL too for Fifa'19 ..

For some reason, I did WAY better then expected. I was composed and it helped a lot that I was off on Friday so I could play on all three days. Ended up on Gold3 with 5 matches to spare.
    (last year my highest ever finish was Gold 2 btw).

Learned:
    - Play matches when you feel you WANT to play. Dont rush it, matches you play while rushed / annoyed / angry / unfocused you will loose (well, I did)
    - Take a break every 4-5 matches max. I lost compusre after match 3, or 4. if I played 5 in a row, the last one, regardless of results from the first4, I always lost, so 4 is the magic number for me
    - Stupid tip, but staying hydrated(spelling?) helped me as well keeping focussed
    - Devide the games over the days (see also point 2)
    - Play with a team you like, meta or not. This year is the 'best' year in regards to playing with different players I feel. Helps you stay happy while playing as well

These were the main things for me, sorry for the thread highjack, and maybe some of you can do something with these points :)

I play 4 matches at a time too. Was 4-3 after playing 7 on the trot. Then played in batches of 4 and went 3-1, 3-1, 4-0, 3-1, 2-2 and 1-0
  • VerdePride
    3240 posts National Call-Up
    My first WL this week and I'm terrible lol
  • EricVanDerek
    VerdePride wrote: »
    My first WL this week and I'm terrible lol

Did you lose every game?
    Did you get spanked 16-1 every game?
    Did your CB lock himself in the changing room after every game and burn his boots the moment he got home?

If not, you're not terrible (see OP) - just showing "areas for improvement"... :)
    Trust you enjoyed it, whatever the results.
  • michael15172211
    477 posts An Exciting Prospect
    qns55t.png

10f8gft.png

Qualified for my first ever Weekend League and finally had time to play onf riday played 25 yesterday and finished 11-14 with these two squads, in the first team Antonio, Mane, Johansen, Tom Davies, Diop, Reid and Adrian are all untradeable and my most expensive purchase was Arnautocvic for like 3K, second team Werner, Dybala, Martial, Balde, Asamoah are all untradeable and my most expensive purchse was Weghourst for 750 coins and he now has like 106 goals in 104 games. Was expecting to be destroyed but did quite decent tbh, every team was better than mine and most games i was down 1-0, 2-0 managed to beat a few icon teams along the way too! Had to fight for every win, after 25 games i am too tired and don't expect myself to play the last 5 games tbh. I wonder what % of players i Rank in being Silver 1 as they usually say in SB. Really like your thread mate keep up the good work, was a great read tbh.
  • EricVanDerek
    Pazman wrote: »
    It was my firsts WL too and I had the same expectations as you, and also finished with 7 wins with 4 games to spare, I also ran out of time to go for the 11, but this week that will be my target

@Pazman
    How are you getting on this week - trust you improved on last week?
  • Mr_Matchup1

Well played sir!

I only got 6 wins this week . 9 games left to play but really can't be bothered. Gameplay was worse this week and I was using a novelty team :D
  • EricVanDerek
    qns55t.png

10f8gft.png

@michael15171122
    Welcome to the WL newbies club.
    11-14 is a great performance for a first run out. And dare I say it - particularly with those two teams...
    (I'd be amazed if you came across any other teams with Weghourst, Reid, Davies and Johansen)

I'm no expert squad builder, but I'd strongly recommend changing the second team to improve the chemistry of Martial and Mascherano - that low a chemistry significantly reduces a player's stats from their base rating, so they won't be as effective as they could be.

One cheap suggestion would be to swap Mascherano for N'Zonzi (1,000 coins) - he's Italian league and French, so improves chemistry on all those players around him.
    And slap a LW - LM card on Martial - you can pick one up for 150 coins.
  • michael15172211
    477 posts An Exciting Prospect
    @EricVanDerek thanks mate for the suggestions I actually pulled N’Zonzi and also have De Rossi which I use to close games in 4231 with Mascherano. Marchers i is really a beast tho with his work rates. But I really like your suggestions tho! Yeah didn’t come across anyone with Weghourst but lad has 106 in 104 pretty beast. Before Werner came in for the last ten games it was Pato holding the fort down. How u did this weekend?
  • EricVanDerek
    I only got 6 wins this week . 9 games left to play but really can't be bothered. Gameplay was worse this week and I was using a novelty team :D

Sorry to hear it wasn't as enjoyable / successful this week. At least by achieving Silver 3 you still get a player pick (that's my goal for every WL I enter - just so I can experience the excitement of those red cards...)

I'd decided I wouldn't do WL this w/e - but have spent all the last two days wishing I was playing again. I'm so missing the tension / frustration / rage... ;-)

I'm very intrigued about your "novelty team" - in my (admittedly warped) mind it's full of cartoon / Marvel characters:
    - Inspector Gadget in goal
    - Thor as CB
    - Donald Duck as right back
    - Iron Man as CDM
    - Jessica Rabbit up front
  • Alexrb89
    3421 posts National Call-Up

Sorry to hear it wasn't as enjoyable / successful this week. At least by achieving Silver 3 you still get a player pick (that's my goal for every WL I enter - just so I can experience the excitement of those red cards...)

I'd decided I wouldn't do WL this w/e - but have spent all the last two days wishing I was playing again. I'm so missing the tension / frustration / rage... ;-)

I'm very intrigued about your "novelty team" - in my (admittedly warped) mind it's full of cartoon / Marvel characters:
    - Thor as CB
    - Iron Man as CDM

Haha . Really enjoying this thread. Nice to see a decent character on the forums!
  • EricVanDerek
    Alexrb89 wrote: »
    Haha . Really enjoying this thread. Nice to see a decent character on the forums!

Cheers
    If only my FIFA ability was anything like as good as my ability to write thread posts...
  • Mr_Matchup1

- Thor as CB
    - Iron Man as CDM

Haha unfortunately nowhere near as fun as that I'm afraid https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1050043
    Yeah I stopped at 6 wins to get the player pick
  • Detorre23
    732 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2018
    Didn’t play fifa 18 so just had my first WL
    Tried to use Higuain/if Laca in 4/3/1/2

Started horrible 6-12 was gonna stop but was like nah I’ll get to 11 so I did had 5 games to go I was gonna play 1 game and lose and give up but no win 2 in in a row. I’m like wow 3 games to go and I can get gold with 1 win but nope Lost last 3.Played Potm Hazard 2 times and for the 18th time a la liga team with Williams and Rodrigo on top.

And what got me hot?Put Mertens and Gomez at Strikers with Hamsik at cam and just played through balls like everyone else.

• Detorre23
    732 posts An Exciting Prospect
    But all my games but 2 were lag free and I’m in the USA so I mostly get matched with America or Mexico it seems
  • EricVanDerek
    Haha unfortunately nowhere near as fun as that I'm afraid https://www.futbin.com/19/squad/1050043

Nice team - although I've heard Marvel are looking at creating a super-hero franchise based around Fellaini ... ;-)
  • EricVanDerek
    Detorre23 wrote: »
    Didn’t play fifa 18 so just had my first WL

Why, welcome to the thread specifically for crap improving players who are taking their first tentative steps into the big bad world that is WL...

Well done for getting that many wins in your first attempt - although (and don't take this the wrong way) less well done on abandoning your principles and playing like everyone else.
    I'm a firm believer in playing the game how you want to play, and if that means losing games, then so be it.

Unfortunately in my case that has meant losing a shed-load of games, but it does mean that the ones I win I get a real sense of personal satisfaction over - much more than if I won using AI defending and spamming through balls to pacy strikers....

But this is not a thread to judge or preach - it's the warm fuzzy thread of mutual support and encouragement.

To all who've WL'd for the very first time this w/e - I trust your experience has been fun, successful and not resulted in the throwing of any controllers through TV screens in a fit of frustrated rage...