WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• EricVanDerek
    688 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Some great squad upgrades there (and I'm just a little nit jealous...) - look forward to hearing how you all get on. For those who've brought in the top tier players, have you noticed you've changed your play style to try to get the ball to them? - I realised last year when I had loan Ronaldinho, I'd look to get the ball to him at every opportunity, which wasn't always the best option.

@GreenArmyXI Welcome, welcome... Everyone has their own play style, tactics and goals from WL - as you say, the key thing is to enjoy it whatever you do. Speaking from personal experience, there will still be times when you'll rage at how the game seems to "allow" some crazy things, but hang on in there and enjoy!
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    Servers are very slow for me. 1-1 now. Lost my first game. Played such a bad a game, but managed to be up 2-1 and then Lucas outjumped thiago Silva for a header. Lost my head in OT.

Won 3-1. Such a struggle for both teams to pass and shoot.
  • eddopoolfc
    359 posts Sunday League Hero
    DKCena wrote: »
    Servers are very slow for me. 1-1 now. Lost my first game. Played such a bad a game, but managed to be up 2-1 and then Lucas outjumped thiago Silva for a header. Lost my head in OT.

Likewise, servers are absolute dog s*** tonight. I'm finished, can't handle them anymore especially when Dembele can just basically poke at the ball and SIF Szczesny dives over the top of it.
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4219 posts National Call-Up
    Unfortunately I'm taking a break from FIFA I can't stand this new patch . It's so boring and one dimensional now
    They have killed off crossing which leads to narrow extremely defensive formations :(
    I have no desire to play 30 games Vs Jose mourinho every week :D I'm gonna sell up and keep an eye out for the next patch
    Good luck guys
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    eddopoolfc wrote: »
    DKCena wrote: »

Likewise, servers are absolute dog s*** tonight. I'm finished, can't handle them anymore especially when Dembele can just basically poke at the ball and SIF Szczesny dives over the top of it.

I’ll take an try again later. Still early in Denmark :smiley:
  • Owler
    20 posts Ball Boy
    @GreenArmyXI great post with that attitude there can be fun to be found in the beloved game....it’s the exact reason I have saved for Scholes as he is not exactly going to win me games in my hands....and yes all hail OP @EricVanDerek for a refreshing thread
  • Andyrusski
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    After reading on this thread quite a lot i thought that maybe adding my updates won't hurt as well (hopefully, of course!).

Haven't really played WL last year, because 40 games a weekend when you have wife and small son is no easy feat. Not that i managed to actually qualify for it via the weekly tournament, but who cares, it was quite terrible with or without me anyway. This year wasn't actually considering FIFA, but after a) they've introduced some new modes and b) Konami royally **** up PES launch in Russia i thought why not.

Outside of WL i seem to be a below average player, sitting around 1200 skill points in Rivals with Division 5 being my ceiling (be it for skill or for disire to grind the thing). Having spent some time on trading i have attempted i think all bar very first one being unable to get enough qualification points. Got to S1 and then G3 consistently, keeping approximatelly 50/50 rate, which actually amuses me. Should probably be due to the fact that my team, unlike me, is above average - https://www.futbin.com/19/squad-builder/view/1939165.

Now, to the WL itself. There are some bad (or negative) things about it, of course:
    - people of course do play constant pressure insane football. This has nothing to do with real life (or at least with what they call football here), and if it's coupled with poor connection the game is nightmare. If there's no delay though sometimes it gets quite interesting to "disassemble" those squads. So far though it's usually me who gets his arse handed to him;
    - there is delay, and frankly i can see within very few minutes of the game if it's considerable. If it's against me then unless the person on the other side is very poorly playing the chances are slim. If it's favorable - then even better playing opponent will have hard time. For me though getting thrashing wins this way is in no way satisfying;
    - some time the game feels like aquaplanning. I get a serie of games where i would lose regardless of what i do, and then i get games where, it seems, the game almost forces a win for me.

But there are some bright sides as well, surely:
    - you can clearly see your progress. With first one being a near miss S1 finish where i got it i think with 1 or 2 games to spare, then i needed 28, 26 and 28 games again to get G1;
    - one can improve playing versus real players. General approach is that playing versus CPU is boring and mostly is beating known patterns. Well, at my level of skill real people are mostly set of patterns as well (at least i can clearly state that about myself) - and when you get to read those it's getting easier.

Oh, and one thing i've noted (though of course might well be a coincidence): though i think majority of teams are "meta" EPL ones, most of my games are against Serie A based squads. Could that be because mine is like that as well? No idea. But out of almost 30 games each week i get EPL maybe 5-7 times, if not less.
  • EricVanDerek
    You know what I said about enjoying the game, not letting things get you down?
    Struggling with that right now.

Jut lost two consecutive games by the single goal.
    First game, they scored in the 44th and 89th minute.
    Second game, they scored in the 2nd, 44th, 119th and 120th minute.

See any pattern there?!?

I know I should control the game better (just hoof it long rather than try to play out from the back), but I do wish they'd get rid of these "dynamic moments" that leave my players (only at certain times) as competent as an ancient crippled slug after a big night on the heavy stuff...

(I've turned off the timer & scoreboard in the top left of the screen, as I was finding it was obscuring a fair bit of the pitch - so accusations of panicking because I know the time aren't entirely fair)

Thank you all in advance for your support, encouragement and vitriolic accusations of pathetic choking...
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    So l could of played WL sooner. I just honestly couldn’t be bothered.

I’m in div 5 sitting around the 1300 mark with an 84 rated squad. I am someone who tends to be very average. I make catastrophic defence mistakes. Rolling the ball out of defence with my GK then leaving myself exposed to the 2-1 constant pressure tap in.

The thing is sure l could change my play style. Use over powered side foots from the edge of the D, or even get more crosses into the box and maybe look for more near post corners routines. The thing is it bores me if that’s the way l have to win constantly. Sure if it happens in a game then so be it but to try and repeat that style to win game after game is just not for me.

I mean l know it’s all about the “records” or “win ratio” but for me if lm playing for a number of hours l wanna at least try and win in a fun way. Try some skills moves I’ve yet to master for example. I mean l could just stick 3 up front, stick two pacey wingers in the corner and run like hell exposing the game mechanics weakness with full backs.

So as l have avoided WL for the past 18 months knowing how it’s a win at all cost mentality l decided to dip my toe into it again. I will be an “easy” win for some as l will adapt but not make wholesale changes to my gameplay style just so people can’t use broken game mechanics.

I look at it and find it all abit baffling the way people’s minds work when playing FIFA. You might be a solid, good or even very good player but the fact people have to bronze bench, do 1st min subs etc...says your needing to exploit something that is badly broken in order to gain advantage and win. And what does a win get you? Satisfaction over someone who knows the game can be exploited. Brilliant. Maybe it gives people a joy but why? It’s like like your the best at FIFA. It’s not like you are proving your the best either because people are having to exploit as much as they can to gain than advantage. It’s not people’s skills levels that has created that ability for you but a number of exploiting cheats.

In my head it seemed a nonsense to play when there are so many flaws. Why bother put myself through 40 games (last year) and 30 (this year)? Do l want to be that sadistic to my brain?

Yet l’ve read this thread. Credit to the OP really. And thought back to my original belief of its only a game and l can control the fun l have in this game. Just play the way it makes it fun to you. Don’t expect anything in terms of rewards. Just play the game.

The OP has shown me that you don’t have to be like everyone else.

So l start later tonight .....

WL is actually more chill than div rivals. Div rivals is constantly tough games against people of similiar skill. WL throws a different mix of skills. Only thing to expect in WL is more people holding the ball / passing along the back in the 80+ min with a 1 goal lead which isn't too bad
  • EricVanDerek
    @Andyrusski sooka blyat !
    (hopefully that means what I think it does, and isn't a grave insult against you, your family and your great leader - if the latter, then I apologise hugely, and you'll know why I don't reappear on this thread again...)

Unfortunately the link to your team doesn't seem to work (at least for me) - but I'm no technical expert so I'm of no help.

I'm also starting to see a lot more Italian teams than BPL. It won't be related to what team you have (I alternate between an Italian and Spanish team, just to keep things interesting), but I'm not sure why people seem to be switching (albeit it's a very small sample size...).

kayron16 wrote: »
    WL is actually more chill than div rivals. Div rivals is constantly tough games against people of similiar skill. WL throws a different mix of skills.
    I think your experience depends on how good you are. I'm crap improving (just broken 1000 Rivals skill points for the first time - woo hoo!) and so I rarely play people worse than me WL. If you're much better, then I'd agree that the variety of playing better / worse / same level opponents is more chill. For me it's just a continual challenge. Which is good in many ways, but I'd love an easy game now and then !

Right - back to the raging and frustration.... ;-)
  • Andyrusski
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @EricVanDerek that's nothing personal, more like an indication of utter upset and annoyance. Still not very kid friendly though!

The squad should be shown below (unless my image posting skills are on par with FUT's).

YE40Zs3.jpg

And as per challenge i find WL quite unforgiving in terms of going relaxed too soon. Had some games where after 3-0 lead it went to extra time or was actually lost in regulation.

Also, one thing i'd love to implement into my "play" is skill moves. Currently i either run like a headless chicken or execute some random ones via poking the right stick. Surely there must be a way to do it both more rationally and masterfully.
  • nextqprmanager
    3314 posts National Call-Up
    You know what I said about enjoying the game, not letting things get you down?
    Struggling with that right now.

Jut lost two consecutive games by the single goal.
    First game, they scored in the 44th and 89th minute.
    Second game, they scored in the 2nd, 44th, 119th and 120th minute.

See any pattern there?!?

I know I should control the game better (just hoof it long rather than try to play out from the back), but I do wish they'd get rid of these "dynamic moments" that leave my players (only at certain times) as competent as an ancient crippled slug after a big night on the heavy stuff...

(I've turned off the timer & scoreboard in the top left of the screen, as I was finding it was obscuring a fair bit of the pitch - so accusations of panicking because I know the time aren't entirely fair)

Thank you all in advance for your support, encouragement and vitriolic accusations of pathetic choking...

chin up
    just play safe around those minutes !
    write a note to yourself
  • EricVanDerek
    Andyrusski wrote: »
    @EricVanDerek that's nothing personal, more like an indication of utter upset and annoyance. Still not very kid friendly though!

Ah.... many apologies. It was meant to be a casual "welcome" in Russian.
    The moral of the story - never trust anything you find on the internet....
    (no wonder the rest of Europe are happy to see the UK leave, with language skills like these...)
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    EricVanDerek
    you should constantly repeat "sooka blyat !" at 44th, 89th, 119th minute.
    it will be absolutely correct application! ))
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    3-1

Neither me or opponent can pass or shoot - so much delay. Im so happy that both Bale and Neymar can score anyway. They saved my arse in all games. I really dont play well.

I really need to learn How to play with button delay. I Got no plan when my normal play doesnt work.
  • padr81
    114 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Its laggy again this weekend but things are going stupidly well for me.

First game I absolutely dominated ended with 11 shots on target to opponents 2, games finished 2-2 and I lost on pens. 0-1 for the WL

Then my finishing clicked (replacing potm Lucas with Nif Mahrez) and all of a sudden I was banging them in won 6 in a row by two or three goals. 6-1.

Last game I played a guy who was much better than me, but he fluffed his lines a bit, was 2-2 after 89 minutes, I led twice, lost 3-2.

So a 6w 2l record for me so far. Good start, hoping for 17-20 wins.
  • eddopoolfc
    I'm guessing the servers are still dog s***!
  • GreenArmyXI
    21 posts Last Pick at the Park
    3-3 after 6 games.

Passing football is so difficult. Maybe it’s my reactions too but at times l just can’t seem to do much with possession.

Not very enjoyable because it’s an unresponsive scrap which l guess l was kind of expecting. Games were close apart one person who was just too good.
  • eddopoolfc
    That's it for the night even though i'm on a winning streak atm.

stopping at 7-10 as i'm starting to get tired. Had to get rid of Telles, he was doing stuff all in my side (maybe not using him right).

servers were absolute crap this morning costing me some games, but tonight they've been semi okay.
    switched formation to 4321 and playing Mertens as LF and Dybala RF with CF's on them is working a treat atm as well. Dybala's left peg is absolutely deadly.

also anyone using SIF Szczesny, slap the glove chem on him. WOW, some of the saves he's pulled off for me have been insane.
  • EricVanDerek
    Halle-flippin’-lujah, @Crazymundo has finally won a penalty shootout!

Huge congratulations - the bunting will be put out immediately, and street parties throughout the world will kick off in honour of this momentous occasion.
    We can all now sleep soundly at night again...
  • maximilson
    580 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Stopping at 14 wins with 5 games to go. Rather have 2 Mega packs and a 50k pack instead of the rewards for 17 wins (25k pack and 2 rare mega packs). Will have 1 less option to choose from from red cards but dont really care. Will play rivals now to stay rank 1 and playing a free draft thanks to a token. Saving up the packs and have a good pack opening on Thursday.
  • DKCena
    1710 posts Play-Off Hero
    maximilson wrote: »
    Stopping at 14 wins with 5 games to go. Rather have 2 Mega packs and a 50k pack instead of the rewards for 17 wins (25k pack and 2 rare mega packs). Will have 1 less option to choose from from red cards but dont really care. Will play rivals now to stay rank 1 and playing a free draft thanks to a token. Saving up the packs and have a good pack opening on Thursday.

Did the same. Went 14-6. Didnt want the 17 win rewards and know that I’ll choke the 20 wins as i am not that good.

But happy with 14-6 in the first WL this year. Im normally not that good.
  • best start to a weekend league
    normally after 5 games im starting at a 1-4 start... this week currently 3-2 and really should be 4-1
    Not sure if Im suddenly playing better or having favourable matchups
  • Sebowich86
    63 posts Park Captain
    Began my first weekend league today. After 12 matches i sit with 6 wins, very acceptable in my opinion, as 6 wins was my goal for the whole week 😊
  • padr81
    Well done crazymundo, king of peno's now.

Well done everyone else.

Had a poor day today tbh... went from 6/2 to 9/4 last night after I posted. Today i've went 5 and 6 which is poor. I now sit on 14 wins and 10 losses. Can't really be arsed to go for Gold 2. Might feel different tomorrow but for now, I'm chalking this WL down to history,

Also I packed baby Zanetti from a single player draft and used him to improve my attack. I now have Prime Hagi leading the line and he's immense.
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    Just finished my Saturday FIFA shift. Currently P15 W7 L 8.
    As always 11 wins is the target so ahead of schedule. Feel like that flatters my performance today. It felt like my players were playing in 6 inch stiletto heels and wearing an SAS regulation backpack. Only had one red card as my 2 enforcers (naingollan and SMS) operated with controlled aggression.

I’m more of a Sunday League player so should be in my element tomorrow.

My opponents squads are improving as people are gathering more coins. Have only faced POTM Lucas twice so far so think he may taken partial retirement.

Hope u fellow FIFA-teers are well on your way to gold/elite level and showing the seasoned pro’s us newbies deserve to be in the ‘big boys playground’........and the glory awaits.

@EricVanDerek I have written to The Queen requesting that the 16th of November be a National Holiday. My glory has been short lived as I suffered 2 shoot out defeats today.

• padr81
    @Crazymundo - You have a great shot at 14 wins buddy, keep it up.

Also noticed the lack of Lucas this week, think black friday will be the end of him for good.
  • Crazymundo
    96 posts Park Captain
    @padr81
    This is my 3rd WL... finished on 12 wins first week and 13 last week ( last minute equaliser in ET and lost on pens) in last game. So for progressional purpose it would be natural to push for 14 wins. Main target though is auto qualify for next week....any thing above that is a bonus.
  • TheParty
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    First WL this year for me. Started off very well at 10-7 going into Saturday. Working all day, so started my push for Gold 3 at 11.30pm. Finished the night 13-12. An eventful night with 2 quits because luck was not on my side - losing 50/50s every time, lucky bounces to my opponent, intercepting every pass out from the back etc etc

But, good thing is I’ve found my rhythm with finishing (kind of). My forwards goals:games ratio is still abysmal but at least they’re scoring more.

Also, upgraded my keeper after first 3 WL games, which I lost. Lloris has come in and has been a brick wall in goal....definitely recommend to anyone struggling with keepers, like I was.

Team:
    Promes - Muriel - Felipe Anderson
    Kondogbia - Fabinho - Fred
    Hernandez (French LB) - Kimpembe - Laporte - RTTF Alonso
    Lloris