The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

I'm getting worse! [Help please]

FreddieKane
702 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited October 2018
In div 5 and lost 300 skill points in a row pretty much. I'm gonna withhold the sad rant because you've heard it all before.. But can somebody who's similarly struggled with the game please give me some tips or direct me to a tutorial that helped them haha.

Major struggles for me:

Defending:

- I have no confidence in what technique i'm using so I end up all over the place going from jockeying to containing and everything in between..

- Also what custom tactic - constant pressure seems to just exaggerate the problem :D

Attacking/Ball control:

- I'm pretty good at passing (accuracy wise) but I can't pass out of a press because my players can barely take a touch before getting ran over. I'm holding down LT/L2 when receiving and still struggling.

- If by some miracle I do make it to the opposition third I always seem to stall out, passing around the top of the box before getting inevitably tackled.

- Even when I do get a ball through I can honestly never get a shot off, always ends up blocked/deflected or not shooting at all I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if it's a game engine thing.

Genuinely want to improve and clearly need a complete overhaul to my game so any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Tboon
    2908 posts National Call-Up
    I know your feeling...I'm in the same boat
  • Rucci
    1533 posts Play-Off Hero
    just doit like 95% of the fifa players high press + auto ai defense + timed finesse
  • FreddieKane
    Tboon wrote: »
    I know your feeling...I'm in the same boat

Solidarity in numbers! I feel like everybody knows how to play this game except me :D
  • FreddieKane
    Rucci wrote: »
    just doit like 95% of the fifa players high press + auto ai defense + timed finesse

But how do you do the high press + auto ai etc haha. Like if you only control your CDM are you jockeying with him or just running round without pressing anything else?
  • Alexrb89
    3455 posts National Call-Up
    Use L1 to trap the ball and when dribbling, when receiving it take a couple of steps back towards your own half, that should give you the time to pick the next pass. Try using wingers and learning some basic skill moves to draw players to you then pass into the open space created in he middle of the park. Use drag back to create an opportunity for a finesse when camped outside the oppos box. Try this all on balanced tactics and you should at least creat more and hopefully score more. In terms of derfending use second man contain while using selected player to predict his passing tactics, will concede less than trying to tackle all his players.
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    @hayhor1 has been this way for years now
  • Tymsy83
    882 posts Semi-Pro
    I have this very same issue. It’s button lag off these rubbish servers.
  • FreddieKane
    Alexrb89 wrote: »
    Use L1 to trap the ball and when dribbling, when receiving it take a couple of steps back towards your own half, that should give you the time to pick the next pass. Try using wingers and learning some basic skill moves to draw players to you then pass into the open space created in he middle of the park. Use drag back to create an opportunity for a finesse when camped outside the oppos box. Try this all on balanced tactics and you should at least creat more and hopefully score more. In terms of derfending use second man contain while using selected player to predict his passing tactics, will concede less than trying to tackle all his players.

Hey thanks for the reply! The dragback outside the box tip is a good idea, I'm pretty comfortable with skills but clearly need to be better at choosing when/where to use them.

As for the defending part, would you generally be jockeying with the selected player or just controlling him with the stick and no buttons pressed?
  • Alexrb89

Hey thanks for the reply! The dragback outside the box tip is a good idea, I'm pretty comfortable with skills but clearly need to be better at choosing when/where to use them.

As for the defending part, would you generally be jockeying with the selected player or just controlling him with the stick and no buttons pressed?

Defending wise use jockey as it spreads you wider for interceptions.
  • FreddieKane

Okay thanks for the help man. :)
  • Alexrb89

Okay thanks for the help man. :)

Most welcome mate.
  • hayhor1
    15077 posts World Class
    Advait wrote: »
    @hayhor1 has been this way for years now

:#