4-2-3-1 (2) - Advice that really helped me and I'm not good.

Absting159
6659 posts Moderator
edited October 2018
I'll preface this with the fact that I'm not good online and have always struggled with Weekend League. Last season I struggled getting to 11 and often didn't. I started 0-7 last weekend, and ended up getting 11 pretty easily after getting some advice and setting my team like the below setup. Given, the BS still happens. . but I feel my games on average are much more enjoyable now.

Credits go to @xciljw . The playstyle is CALM. Slow. I try not to make passes more than 10-15 yards unless I'm absolutely certain it'll make it. I'm not a skiller, but what I do well is change directions. That change of pace works well to help you open up passing lanes. (i.e. when you recieve a pass on the run, immediately stop and turn another direction).

The biggest thing I learned form listening to xciljw was that when I play too aggressive and ping pongy, when I turn the ball over (it's typically in my own half or just across midfield) my team is out of sorts and I get countered and very often condede. For me, when I try to dictate the pace of the game, it annoys your opponent because you are playing like Pep's Barcelona and if you do turn the ball over you're usually further up the pitch and by the time your opponent is in your final 1/3 you now have your defense all sitting tight ready to defend. THIS is the critical change. Below are the details.

TL;DR - I'm not good and this helped me get 11 wins after starting 0-7 and I had 2 games left. Still not great - but considering I couldn't get 11 in 40 last year, I'm pleased.

My normal formation is the 4-2-3-1 (2).

Basic Tactics:
DZT4DmP.jpg

Instructions:
ST - Stay Central, Get in Behind, Stay Forward
CAM - all default
LM/RM - Get In Behind
CDMs - Stay Back While Attacking
Defense - all default

3tKMgIc.jpg

Ultra Defensive and Defensive: I have left on their default from the original formation because I'm comfortable with it and where the players are. Just the more defensive the further I sit back. Honestly, I rarely use either of these two.

Attacking:
I just changed Defensive Style to Constant Pressure - this is the tactic that makes your opponent feel smothered.

Ultra Attacking:
exVE00P.jpg

Formation: 4-2-4
Instructions:
STs - Get In Behind
LW/RW - Come Back On Defense, Cut Inside

AYBKWkD.jpg
Post edited by Absting159 on

Comments

• Ryno
    6078 posts Big Money Move
    Whats the easiest way to win a football match? By controlling the whole thing of course.

The pros are not only masters of the controls and the tactics, but they are masters of controlling the game. Thats why they pubstomp so easily because the way a pro is able to control and dictate a game is impeccable.

Glad you found your formation and tactics that work for you. I found mine recently and after reading a long post about being calm and taking the game slow, my results improved a lot today.
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator
    Ryno wrote: »
    Whats the easiest way to win a football match? By controlling the whole thing of course.

The pros are not only masters of the controls and the tactics, but they are masters of controlling the game. Thats why they pubstomp so easily because the way a pro is able to control and dictate a game is impeccable.

Glad you found your formation and tactics that work for you. I found mine recently and after reading a long post about being calm and taking the game slow, my results improved a lot today.

Absolutely. I still get absolutely destroyed sometimes, but I actually enjoy games here and there, haha.
  • Kamilflage
    4532 posts National Call-Up
    I'm new to 4231, just made a squad and using the first variation with the 3 CAMS...
    I read this and tried playing a game nice and slow holding the ball. I got destroyed lol....the opponent was just constantly charging at me and it was difficult for me to control the pace of the game. I guess practice is required. I do enjoy playing possession futbol, its something I had a lot of success with in fifa 17, but last year I went with 41212 and was playing fast build up/counter.

Let me ask you a question: how have you coped with being heavily pressured? With teammate contain and absurd AI interceptions this year, I just cant seem to dominate the HPNs (High Pressure Noobs)
  • Kamilflage wrote: »
    I'm new to 4231, just made a squad and using the first variation with the 3 CAMS...
    I read this and tried playing a game nice and slow holding the ball. I got destroyed lol....the opponent was just constantly charging at me and it was difficult for me to control the pace of the game. I guess practice is required. I do enjoy playing possession futbol, its something I had a lot of success with in fifa 17, but last year I went with 41212 and was playing fast build up/counter.

Let me ask you a question: how have you coped with being heavily pressured? With teammate contain and absurd AI interceptions this year, I just cant seem to dominate the HPNs (High Pressure Noobs)
    I love playing that formation against the HPN’s. Try Possession. Quick 1-2’s usually catch your opponent out and they’ll frantically switch to a CB and open up your striker for an easy through ball. Passing back to DM’s and even your back line stretches them out even further. Just have to be decisive. Hold the ball too long and you already know what happens.
  • Kamilflage
    4532 posts National Call-Up
    Kamilflage wrote: »

I love playing that formation against the HPN’s. Try Possession. Quick 1-2’s usually catch your opponent out and they’ll frantically switch to a CB and open up your striker for an easy through ball. Passing back to DM’s and even your back line stretches them out even further. Just have to be decisive. Hold the ball too long and you already know what happens.

Hmm fair enough, yeah I think I just need to practice. Good point about being decisive, I agree has to come second nature otherwise they punish you
  • Azof
    16353 posts World Class
    Team?
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    @Azof added to the main. Used Dele at CAM for a bit too but not in weekend league, just rivals and faired well.

@Kamilflage that’s the challenge man. It’s so hard to keep up good passing when your opponent does this. This is when changing sides of the pitch and what @Rand0m Hero suggests comes in handy.

Not saying this is a game breaker, I’m just stating that I’ve really struggled historically in WL and when I finally got advice from someone who attends competitive events, it really helped out my consistency. I‘m still bad, just a little less.
  • rickir1
    623 posts An Exciting Prospect
    At what point in the game do you switch to attacking or ultra attacking?

Do you switch constantly, i.e. once in possession from the halfway line upward, or do you only switch when you need to go gung-ho, i.e. after conceding or in the final 15 or 20 minutes when losing?
  • Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2018
    Cheers happy to hear you find your rhythm B)

But how you can be CALM when your opp on press mania...

Also nice to see how you take counter attack formation and turn it to possession one..

But IMO you use little weird CT's..

In one hand you tell your team to press only when the opp send bad pass backward, in the other hand you tell them to be deep and narrow, and in 4231-2 except for the ST, all players position is placed behind the center line so they need to start pushing forwards (LM/RM/CDM/CAM) and destroy their compact shape and open your half to free gaps...

But maybe I am wrong who knows :) love to hear how it works for you(all the press thing)...
  • I also use this formation and have bookmarked this. I play in the style you described but my tactics are slightly different. I'll experiment later with the tactics you shared.

How are you liking Bergkamp OP? Currently saving for his base card. Does he feel different than his Fifa 18 versions? That finesse shot trait looks like in can come in handy in this current game.
  • Scutch
    10337 posts Has That Special Something
    Good thread mate. Keep updating, will keep an eye on this on, as it's a very similar setup to my 4411 :)
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator

Also nice to see how you take counter attack formation and turn it to possession one..

In one hand you tell your team to press only when the opp send bad pass backward, in the other hand you tell them to be deep and narrow, and in 4231-2 except for the ST, all players position is placed behind the center line so they need to start pushing forwards (LM/RM/CDM/CAM) and destroy their compact shape and open your half to free gaps...

But maybe I am wrong who knows :) love to hear how it works for you(all the press thing)...

@Yehudaargazi1
    This is exactly the point though. When attacking, if I’m in my half and pull a CDM or even a CB (poorer passing stats) too far forward and turn the ball over the formation loses its shape as people start covering the holes while the opponent now has the ball and is attacking.

Where as if you slowly work your way up the field the defense comes with you in its shape. I try not to use them in the attack. Only the CDMs. If I now turn it over on their end, the counter attack is more likely to be stopped as all my defensive players are still in shape and ready to defend and not tracking back.

As for the OP constant pressure, that’s just hard to deal with. You need to do more than the easy A pass or RB-A pass. You have a wall of 4 people crashing you guy with the ball, you need to lob or cross some passes into space.

@rickir1 I only switch when I’m losing by 2, I’ll go Ultra Attacking. If 1 and I can’t get the ball back I’ll go Attacking as the only change is defense adds more pressure.
  • Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Absting159 wrote: »

@Yehudaargazi1
    This is exactly the point though. When attacking, if I’m in my half and pull a CDM or even a CB (poorer passing stats) too far forward and turn the ball over the formation loses its shape as people start covering the holes while the opponent now has the ball and is attacking.

Where as if you slowly work your way up the field the defense comes with you in its shape. I try not to use them in the attack. Only the CDMs. If I now turn it over on their end, the counter attack is more likely to be stopped as all my defensive players are still in shape and ready to defend and not tracking back.

As for the OP constant pressure, that’s just hard to deal with. You need to do more than the easy A pass or RB-A pass. You have a wall of 4 people crashing you guy with the ball, you need to lob or cross some passes into space.

Yes, I get what you are saying, vs most of the players slow and smart build up just causing them to lose concentration, which is reflected through defensive holes and pointless attack.

But if you are not behind, and you just want to exploit opp' turnovers, how do you move up quickly with nothing except one forward? you have to wait for LM RM to make a run and hope their D not already trackback, also it's hard to find pure LM RM that can perform well with stamina being an issue late in the game.

And for OP pressure, sure easy A pass does not work well but if most of your players in your half it can be too risky to chip passes and switch sides, you will have some forwards that will get themselves wide open to get the long ball, only one can be useless...
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    @Yehudaargazi1

Do you not use RB and LB to trigger player on a run or to come short? I didn’t know about this either and it’s game changing. If I need someone, I trigger the player to do the run for the pass I want to play.

Also I don’t counter attack. When my opponent turns the ball over I got back tonpissession and control. That’s the change, I used to always just attack instantly if I intercepted a ball. I do not now. Keeping that control helps keep me level headed too. When I lose control I lose me head and start spam slide tackling. I am a headcase haha.

If you don’t think it works you don’t have to try it. I had four people ask me what helped me turn it around during weekend league so I thre this together!
  • MisterJV
    10773 posts Has That Special Something
    waiting on @xciljw to come in & share his tactics
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Ryno wrote: »

Link to the post please @Ryno ?
  • LukakuMUFC
    1984 posts Fans' Favourite
    MisterJV wrote: »
    waiting on @xciljw to come in & share his tactics

• xciljw
    4962 posts National Call-Up
    Sorry guys was a little busy

but here we go:

Press on heavy touch, 4 depth, 3 width
    Balanced attack, 5 width, 6 in the box
    Corners and free kicks 2 bars
  • P
    7502 posts League Winner
    edited October 2018
    What formation/formations do you play @xciljw ?

And thanks for posting.
  • xciljw
    for me its 4231 (1) but should also work for 4231 (2). I basically use whats in the opening post. :#
  • Finesse_4days
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    xciljw wrote: »

but here we go:

how does 3 width not get cross abused against? Do you have to defend quite a bit with the wide cams? I also use a 4231 and use 7 width to try and stop people putting in too many crosses.
  • xciljw

but here we go:

how does 3 width not get cross abused against? Do you have to defend quite a bit with the wide cams? I also use a 4231 and use 7 width to try and stop people putting in too many crosses.

To be honest, I am not even conceding from crosses. Maybe because I also do not let them cross because I know it is OP. CDMs close to CB to make things compact and also not allowing the crosses by intercepting with the left and rightback. For me its working.
  • Keano
    12700 posts Has That Special Something
    edited October 2018
    Will give this a try, i've set my "attacking" & defending tactics to the version @xciljw has said & then one that's got slightly more defensive options on it. Using 41212(2) currently, but was interested in trying this, will be using the narrow version with a few wingers (switching to it), just felt the 4231 wide was too far apart when I previously used it.
  • Finesse_4days
    6818 posts Big Money Move

but here we go:

To be honest, I am not even conceding from crosses. Maybe because I also do not let them cross because I know it is OP. CDMs close to CB to make things compact and also not allowing the crosses by intercepting with the left and rightback. For me its working.

Ok, I'll try out playing with amore narrow defence.
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator
    To re-iterate, xciljw helped me set up everything in the OP, meaning he taught me his playstyle. Given, he's 1,000,000 times better at it than I am, but the fact that it made my record do an about face in WL was enough to make me realize it could help others who are struggling.

It's NOT for everyone! It helped me, maybe it'll help you!
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    @xciljw do you stream at all mate? Would be good to watch a few full games
  • xciljw
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    @xciljw do you stream at all mate? Would be good to watch a few full games

@BRISTOL86 Even though I am event verified now and made Top 100 again last weekend, I am not 100% comfortable with the game yet. Knowing a stream will distract me and need concentration in most of the games, I rather not stream gameplay for now, will stream rewards though! But once the Champions Channel will work there is probably plenty of games from me to watch back.
  • xEvoStevo
    379 posts Sunday League Hero

but here we go:

What player instructions do you use?
  • Absting159
    6659 posts Moderator
    @xEvoStevo See the original post, he mentioned that he uses the setup I posted. He is who helped me get setup.
  • xEvoStevo
    379 posts Sunday League Hero
    Absting159 wrote: »
    @xEvoStevo See the original post, he mentioned that he uses the setup I posted. He is who helped me get setup.

Yeah I seen that, but he uses 4231 narrow, so thought he may have a few different player instructions to the wide version in first post.