New to FUT. Not sure this is the mode for me.

dengah109
1217 posts Professional
Okay for all you FUT stalwarts is anyone willing to try and convince me of the merits of this aspect of FIFA? I fear because I would probably be placed in the casual gamer category this is why this particular mode struggles to appeal to me.

I kind of understand that getting to experience playing with lots of different players and creating your own squad could be fun but it’s the effort that looking on from the outside needs to go into reaching that.

I just feel that clearly FUT is so huge, and makes them so much money, that maybe I am actually missing out on something fun and I should try this mode properly? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

So for the first time ever I have tried FUT this year. I have a crap team. I have Sturridge, Milner and Jagielka and I had Suarez on loan for 2 games (what is the point of that!?!) I have played 3 games in divisions. Each team I came up against were all full of 85+ players. I think playing with that assortment of players could be fun. Playing with a bunch of guys who I haven’t heard of, with ratings from say 55 – 69 at best holds no appeal for me.

Game 1 was actually fairly even but he ended up winning 2 or 3 nil. 2nd game I dominated but he quit just before HT when it was still 0-0. I didn’t get the win though even though he quit? It was like the game didn’t take place – is that right? I normally play seasons and if I quit in seasons my stats would show I lost the game, or if the person playing me quit I’d get the win. Does that not happen in FUT? The 3rd game I got humped 6-1. He was pretty good to be fair. I think I angered him by taking the lead!

So after each game I earn a few(!) coins to either buy packs and get more crap players or save up the coins and actually buy a player? After 3rd game I have managed to buy Andros Townsend (78 rated).

Am I right in thinking I either need to spend money and just purchase coins to buy players/packs/consumables or I have just got to spend hours and hours playing games to generate enough coins through the game whereby it doesn’t cost me anything to play?

I could afford to put my money into the game, that isn’t the issue, but it isn’t something I have ever done before and don’t particularly want too, but I also don’t have hours and hours to put in to the mode to get a good team. Realistically what do you need to spend to get a team/squad of 85+ players say?

Why do people do squad battles rather than say play division games? Is this just games against other peoples squads but the AI controls them instead? Do you earn more coins that way? Do you do this to get a good side before you start playing divisions because you don’t want say a heavy loss ratio by playing games with a poor team?

The whole mode seems huge, and incredibly complicated and not all easy to follow. Probably explains why I have just done 3 division games as that is what I know from playing seasons. I even tried to find a you-tube video so I could watch someone go through and explain all the basics of the game. I couldn’t find anything to cater for someone who hasn’t played FUT and who finds the amount of options in this mode frightening!
I am bored with career mode, until FIFA 17 that’s all I played but that was boring in 17 so I tried online seasons for 1st time ever and really enjoyed it. Despite getting the CL in CM I am still not really enjoying CM still and finding it rather dull/boring still.

I mainly just play seasons when I get time. I just play a full season with 1 team and normally the following season try a new team. So far I have played as Spurs, Liverpool & Dortmund. Still enjoying this so far but I am still pretty new to it but will probs get bored of this too. Thus FUT is the only other mode really that I haven’t given a go and am thinking perhaps I should.

Fundamentally though unless you can either put hours into FUT or you are willing to part with hard earned cash is there really much point in a casual gamer like me playing this mode?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Gorda
    3892 posts National Call-Up
    Think fut is mostly for hardcore gamers, but you have squadbattles and fut rivals divisions which might be fine for you.
  • Alexrb89
    3825 posts National Call-Up
    Add me on psn and I can walk you through the basics if you have a mic. There are infinite ways to make coins. Most of the modes you are talking about have rewards that are assigned weekly, they range from coins to packs or a choice of both. I can understand that coming into this mode fresh is very daunting but it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and very rewarding (most of the time). The game mode is designed for both casuals and the hardcore and the new competitions they have implemented this year are there to cater for all gamers.
  • Ch1cha
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    No, not really. If you really want to get the most out of FUT you'll either have to put some money in the game and/or time. I personally spend money at the start and do some trading when I can. But I don't play alot. You can also play alot and/or invest alot of time on the market so you can make the dough to buy (elite) players with.

But you can also just enjoy the progress and don't care about playing with the best players and slowly build your squad. I am sure there are lots of people that play like that.
  • mdizzl3
    12439 posts Has That Special Something
    >:) Welcome to FUT, enjoy your stay!
  • CharlieC
    7429 posts League Winner
    edited October 2018
    To answer a few of your points;

Can you play Division Rivals as a casual? Yes but it will take longer to accumulate enough coins to buy a decent team. The initial matchmaking is done randomly for 5 games at which point you will be given a skill rating and from then on it will be based on that, so for those five games its trying to see how good you are and therefore you will win some and get battered in others. happens to most of us.

Do you have to spend money? No absolutely not. You can earn coins through playing, trading or completing SBC's. Trading can be done on the companion app and you can easily earn 20-30k per day without too much effort. there are lots of tutorials on YouTube for the different methods. You can spend real money but it guarantees nothing.

Squad battles is a good way to earn decent rewards. Its calculated once a week and you get packs at the end depending on your rank. if you read this forum you'll see the varying degrees of success people have had from these packs. Its a lottery. You are only playing against AI in squad battles so for someone like me, I don't have as much fun doing it as I do against a real person but its all down to personal preference.

Stay away from weekend league, its not worth the stress for a proper casual and to be fair if you aren't playing much you probably won't qualify anyway.

I love it hate it in equal measures, it depends what day you catch me on but its a great mode and definitely worth a try .You might even like it so much that you put a bit more time into it and end up with a full squad of ICONs! Who knows?
    Post edited by CharlieC on
  • CharlieC
    7429 posts League Winner
    mdizzl3 wrote: »
    >:) Welcome to FUT, enjoy your stay!

You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave :lol:
  • Theomanny
    2736 posts National Call-Up
    Started like u last year lol. Big advice stay away from Fifa points. I spent over £800 buying and discarding players without realising I was meant to list them on the transfer market for better profit lol. Just putting it out there for u so u don’t make the same foolish mistake. And ofcourse u will eventually lose your sanity in this mode.
  • Idek
    17630 posts World Class
    Don't open packs with coins, learn about sbc's, get the coin boosts from the catalogue are some of the most basic tips I can think to give you

This might be worth watching for you

• FCBlunt
    3123 posts National Call-Up
    1. Pop your coin boosts in the EAS Store.
    2. Do play both Squad Battles and Rivals.
    3. Dont use coins on packs, earn them through gamemodes and SBCs.
    4. Learn how to trade.
    5. Dont do drafts unless you can afford losing 15k, because the pack rewards rarely pops anything good.
    6. Have fun!

I used money on Fifa Points, but only ever pulled anything good from my gamemode rewards or SBCs. So, screw them points man (If u do burn some points, make sure to keep the players for SBCs)
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    FUT can be fun but if you want to play casually so a couple of hours a week then try H2H. I played a couple hours a week at max last year and had a terrible team lol.
  • dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Thanks to all for the comments/feedback, much appreciated!
    I shall watch the you tube video posted above tonight thanks :smile:
    I dont have a mic but thanks for the offer Alexrb89!
    I have even accessed the web companion app today too, not a clue what I am doing still though lol Next time I get a couple of hours to play Fifa I will perhaps give FUT more of a go. I have around £300k coins to spend on seasons/CM its a shame they dont allow you to use them in FUT! Will use these to acquire stuff for FUT as I never spend the coins in CM. I think for me it would depend on how quickly I can get a half decent team, happy to play with players I've heard of around the 80+ mark but if I have to spend hours playing with guys I have never heard off with poor skills etc... I dont think that will maintain my interest for long. We shall see...
  • freakjas
    14460 posts Has That Special Something
    I think the key is to do the advice sbcs.
    They’re really cheap and get you packs that are great value in the beginning.
    Then when you play you should defo use the catalogue to activate the coin boosts. Gives you +1k per game for a certain amount of games.
    It does cost a bit of time to get into it but I think a lot of people love that you can improve your team all the time and keep grinding,
    I myself haven’t spend anything this year besides the preorder packs and I have like 600k coins without much trading.
    If you spend some time it’s definitely fun to play
  • LoboNobo
    6508 posts Big Money Move
    I'm sure you've gotten plenty of good advise already, let me just throw my two cents:

DO NOT spend any money. It's not worth it.

You can try trading but it's not easy for beginners.

You should probably play some division rivals or squad battles first few weeks to get a decent team - you can get 30k each week if you're really bad

After that you can move to completing sbcs and hope for some decent pack luck.

Anyway, try it for first few weeks and see if you like it.
  • dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Thanks again for everyones comments and Tips. I have started playing FUT now and am slowly getting into it, wasted too many coins on rubbish packs though :blush: played a few squad battles so at least i understand what these are now!

I am using the web companion app on my PC at work to try and familiarise myself (dont tell my bosses!) and the transfer market option got unlocked today :smile: so I have now bought 4 players for my squad on the cheap but they are decent young players who I got at good prices so pretty sure worst case scenario is I would get the coins back for them.

Understanding now that team chemistry must make quite a diff? Trying to focus now on getting a squad of players with good chem links.

Amazed at the fluctuating prices on the trf market so can see how ppl can make a few coins on it if you spend enough time. All 4 players I bought cheaply had considerably higher bids on other sales at the same time. Dont really understand that. is it like ebay and ppl get carried away?

Anybody played with Leon Bailey? Brought him today, he looks a really good player. Again got him really cheap compared to some of the other bids going in for him.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    Honestly mate, don’t bother. The sense of injustice will drive you nuts, plus things happen that will leave you questioning the integrity of EA. I only play out of habit but I’m terms of realistic football and a stress free gaming life, stick to seasons
  • RadioShaq
    20212 posts Moderator
    Don’t buy packs with coins. I mean if you do think of it as fun and not as efficient as trading and saving to buy off the market.

Use two teams for fitness to save coins until your more familiar with the game. If you want the easiest trading look up the discard inform method you can’t lose coins doing it. Then you can dip your toe into the trading market with a small coin balance later on.
  • forearms
    6185 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Don’t buy packs with coins. I mean if you do think of it as fun and not as efficient as trading and saving to buy off the market.

Use two teams for fitness to save coins until your more familiar with the game. If you want the easiest trading look up the discard inform method you can’t lose coins doing it. Then you can dip your toe into the trading market with a small coin balance later on.

How would you recommend buying packs. I'm curious what a moderator is telling players. FIFA points? Or are saying to leave packs alone entirely?

Edit: this is not a troll :smile:
  • RadioShaq
    20212 posts Moderator
    You been here awhile are you not familiar with the market? People open way to many packs causing prices to be lower than the value of the pack. You are better off letting others buy the packs and using coins for players on the market. As the year goes on players prices decline even more. Sbcs inflate prices but it’s probably better if players are cheaper than giving packs value.
  • CharlieC
    7429 posts League Winner
    You been here awhile are you not familiar with the market? People open way to many packs causing prices to be lower than the value of the pack. You are better off letting others buy the packs and using coins for players on the market. As the year goes on players prices decline even more. Sbcs inflate prices but it’s probably better if players are cheaper than giving packs value.

Shaq is the most sensible of all the mods. Always worth listening to.
  • forearms

Yes. I understand that, but some people want single owner players. Others enjoy opening packs.

Regarding your second point:
    I am probably not going out on a limb when I say that last year, the absolute best time was when they started throwing all the special cards into packs. The secondary market was bottomed out, but I dont remember many complaining. It was extremely enjoyable opening packs at that time. You felt as though any pack had a chance to be something great. It also had a completely different feel than what happened with the World Cup version.

I can agree with you that most times packs dont give you equivalent value. I was interested as being a moderator may make it harder to give your opinion, especially when it may be contrary to EAs values.

• dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Still enjoying this mode of the game. Although I have only played a few division rival matches and my god some of the morons I have faced already is kinda grating. You get it in seasons too, but it does seem worse on FUT so far anyway, I could just have been unlucky.

Do ppl buy players off the market just to complete the SBC's? Seems to me that is the only way to complete a lot of the challenges.

Not starting trading yet, take the point about having 2 squads but with all the players I have accumulated, inc the loans got around 90 I think. But chemistry links on the whole are poor a lot of the players Im not going to use. Should I just sell them all? I feel like I need around 3or 4 squads though due to fitness going down so much. I play 1 game, then often have to play a different team in another game but then after that some of my players from team 1 still have really poor fitness levels... really annoying.

I have initially purchased quite a few packs, but other than the consumables like contracts, & fitness cards the players themselves have pretty much been a waste of time :neutral: is the best way to get packs from the daily/weekly challenges?

By the way does any really bother with the training cards, do they really improve players?

• Rosinbag1
    23 posts Last Pick at the Park
    For what it’s worth, first time playing FUT, spent no $ just coins earned over first few weeks playing squad battles and completing starter and daily objectives. Being so new and clueless on much of it, built a squad of same nation players and at 80 level and 100% chemistry. Being a novice also starting at lower level difficulty and will increase as I improve. Enjoying it for fun but also exploring other aspects of the game to basically play teams and players outside of my FUT squad. A lot of room to grow as a player and enjoy the fun aspect that the game offers. Will venture into seasons as I get a bit better.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    4717 posts National Call-Up
    Better load up 120,000 fifa points lad
  • pudgyfudgy
    I played other game modes for a few years before I finally started on FUT from Fifa 13 onwards. Even so, I only dared to play single player seasons for a few months until I felt that I was well-versed enough to play against other people online.

But those few months of single player modes actually taught me everything about the game in a stress-free environment. Squad building, including the chemistry system and making hybrids... Learning that training cards were nonsense... figuring out how the TOTW and special card system works... doing VERY simple trading (I literally bought non-rare golds for 300 and quick sold them for 320, all to earn a pathetic 20 coins per transaction). But by the next edition, I was basically fully ready to become a serious player.

So maybe try that first. Just do Squad Battles or something.
  • Sterve
    1319 posts Professional
    dengah109 wrote: »
    Still enjoying this mode of the game. Although I have only played a few division rival matches and my god some of the morons I have faced already is kinda grating. You get it in seasons too, but it does seem worse on FUT so far anyway, I could just have been unlucky.

Do ppl buy players off the market just to complete the SBC's? Seems to me that is the only way to complete a lot of the challenges.

Not starting trading yet, take the point about having 2 squads but with all the players I have accumulated, inc the loans got around 90 I think. But chemistry links on the whole are poor a lot of the players Im not going to use. Should I just sell them all? I feel like I need around 3or 4 squads though due to fitness going down so much. I play 1 game, then often have to play a different team in another game but then after that some of my players from team 1 still have really poor fitness levels... really annoying.

I have initially purchased quite a few packs, but other than the consumables like contracts, & fitness cards the players themselves have pretty much been a waste of time :neutral: is the best way to get packs from the daily/weekly challenges?

By the way does any really bother with the training cards, do they really improve players?

I may be stating the obvious here but make sure you have the players from one of your squads on your bench and reserves when playing a game and vice versa. Only those players gain fitness not every player in your club.
  • dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Sterve wrote: »

I may be stating the obvious here but make sure you have the players from one of your squads on your bench and reserves when playing a game and vice versa. Only those players gain fitness not every player in your club.

Thanks Steve, I only just found that out last night as it happens! My Salah loan card got injured so went to remove him out the squad and only when I did this I had a message saying he wouldn't get better, I then realised thats why my players weren't getting fitter when not playing :blush:

• dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Better load up 120,000 fifa points lad

Seriously do a lot of players just spent a fortune on points/packs? is that why so many teams have squad full of superstars already? I don't think any pack I have bought with my coins has really been worth it so why get fifa points as you can't use them to buy players from the market??
  • dengah109
    1217 posts Professional
    Rosinbag1 wrote: »
    For what it’s worth, first time playing FUT, spent no $ just coins earned over first few weeks playing squad battles and completing starter and daily objectives. Being so new and clueless on much of it, built a squad of same nation players and at 80 level and 100% chemistry. Being a novice also starting at lower level difficulty and will increase as I improve. Enjoying it for fun but also exploring other aspects of the game to basically play teams and players outside of my FUT squad. A lot of room to grow as a player and enjoy the fun aspect that the game offers. Will venture into seasons as I get a bit better.

Hi Rosinbag, we are in the exact same situation! Am slowly getting the hang of it (I think!). Now got around £33k coins from really just playing division rivals and squad battles. Trying to do the daily challenges when I can and the weekly if they are possible with my squad of players. Am only buying players for around 350-760 coins on the market at mo, as I accumulate more coins though I will increase my budget on this. My club has around 130 players now though! Think I need to shift a few.

How you doing with the squad building challenges? I find that really frustrating. Am trying but struggling to get it to work.
  • munchie63
    3972 posts National Call-Up
    Split time between rivals and squad battles.
    That way you will get 2 lots of rewards every Thurs...packs and coins and that will help you trade and buy a better team
  • Reezy86
    26 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Also recently started FUT in Fifa 17. It's daunting at first but once you get into it it's pretty rewarding. I've gone the grind route (no buying points) and although it's grindy it's rewarding. The Market place is in itself a thriving economy. I've recently started watching channels on twitch like RunTheFutMarket...you can learn quite a lot in a short time.