Having a tough time playing

tilen11
4893 posts National Call-Up
The game just doesnt suit my playstyle or I am doing something wrong. Mostly playing against people who casually just sprint through the middle or wings, cross and score.

Tend to play slower, more methodical and not rush but before I receive the ball with any player I already have 3 players surrounding mine and because players turn as they turn I really cant do anything. Its killing me.
Any advice?

Comments

• Razovar
    1104 posts Play-Off Hero
    Your doing something wrong if they are sprinting through the middle of you. And this game should be perfect for you if you like slow build up play.
  • Adifunky
    748 posts Semi-Pro
    tilen11 wrote: »
    The game just doesnt suit my playstyle or I am doing something wrong. Mostly playing against people who casually just sprint through the middle or wings, cross and score.

Tend to play slower, more methodical and not rush but before I receive the ball with any player I already have 3 players surrounding mine and because players turn as they turn I really cant do anything. Its killing me.
    Any advice?

I too like build up play but I can't seem to get to grips with it. They're running though because your manually defending. When theyre attacking just control your midfield and don't select the defenders. The AI will do it for you. Also just pass to the wings and spam crosses and reverse overlaps, no skill required 😆😆
  • tilen11
    Razovar wrote: »
    Your doing something wrong if they are sprinting through the middle of you. And this game should be perfect for you if you like slow build up play.

Guess its not since I cant cope with constant pressure and believe me im trying my best.
  • tilen11
    Adifunky wrote: »

Any advice?

I too like build up play but I can't seem to get to grips with it. They're running though because your manually defending. When theyre attacking just control your midfield and don't select the defenders. The AI will do it for you. Also just pass to the wings and spam crosses and reverse overlaps, no skill required 😆😆

Sounds unsatisfying and boring tbh :joy: Id rather get relegated to div10 than play excatly the same as people who I hate
  • Razovar
    1104 posts Play-Off Hero
    What formation are you using?
  • tilen11
    Razovar wrote: »
    What formation are you using?

4411 since forever. Allows/ed me to play how I want and its a very good and fun formation once you get the grips.
  • TheArchitect
    941 posts Professional
    They are playing with pressure, as it is a easy way to gain the ball from defending mistakes and score.
    Set your tactics on pressure as well. Most times playing on attack is better than on defend. And yes the manual player switch is broken this year
  • Purplejacket
    2375 posts Fans' Favourite
    No, this game is not made for slow possesion play, dont let anyone tell you other wise.
  • alvchong
    929 posts Semi-Pro
    I was wondering the same and though I am such a bad player. I used to slow build up but my emotion affected by opponent pressure and wing run cross and score. I simply don't have my own style of playing. So i guess will be to learn to win by wing pass and cross. Give up manual defend (don't select CB) and let AI defend? Very not use to it. I was div 3 player in Fifa 18. Now at div 6 also struggle. Please advise.
  • Chewbaccary
    900 posts Professional
    Game's trash, mate.
  • tilen11
    No, this game is not made for slow possesion play, dont let anyone tell you other wise.

I realized that :joy:
  • tilen11
    They are playing with pressure, as it is a easy way to gain the ball from defending mistakes and score.
    Set your tactics on pressure as well. Most times playing on attack is better than on defend. And yes the manual player switch is broken this year

Like I said, rather get relegated to div10. Wont play a different style just because the game forces you to do so.
    Its a football simulation ffs, everyone should be entitled to play how they want to.
    Guess every team in the world is playing the same :joy:
  • Robbenhood
    1434 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    You can't play possession football and be effective. AI defending is too strong and eventually they'll cut out a pass because players turn, shoot, pass like snails while AI defenders all have 99 reactions and 99 interceptions. Game is shocking this year.
  • PibeV14
    769 posts Semi-Pro
    edited October 2018
    Robbenhood wrote: »
    You can't play possession football and be effective. AI defending is too strong and eventually they'll cut out a pass because players turn, shoot, pass like snails while AI defenders all have 99 reactions and 99 interceptions. Game is shocking this year.

couldnt have said it any better
    No matter how good you are at passing the ball around and playing possession, eventually defenders will get the ball back because they all have 99 interceptions
  • wrabesek
    451 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Try playing like city/barca. Slow slow slow slow quick shoot goal. Celebrate (not to much, dont be a d*ck).
  • tilen11

I dont mind if a player intercepts my pass but it should be based on his stats. There is literally no difference between Hummels and Timo Werner
  • alvchong
    929 posts Semi-Pro

I dont mind if a player intercepts my pass but it should be based on his stats. There is literally no difference between Hummels and Timo Werner

totally agreed.
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite

Any advice?

Possession football is doable. Better off using a 3 man midfield like 4321. Get your 3 mids into space in opposition half and you can pass side to side between the 3 waiting for an opening. Usually won't get pressed in that's position because you'll have too many options to pass too. Also get one of your wing backs to join in the attack, will give you an extra out. Suggest someone with pace and h/h workrate. Valencia is perfect in that role
  • wrabesek

Truth.
  • tilen11
    edited October 2018
    kayron16 wrote: »

Any advice?

Possession football is doable. Better off using a 3 man midfield like 4321. Get your 3 mids into space in opposition half and you can pass side to side between the 3 waiting for an opening. Usually won't get pressed in that's position because you'll have too many options to pass too. Also get one of your wing backs to join in the attack, will give you an extra out. Suggest someone with pace and h/h workrate. Valencia is perfect in that role

Id rather stop playing right now than use 4321 :)
    Because like I said the game is garbage if it forces you to play a certain way to win or have the upper hand. I dont enjoy playing like that. Its football meaning you shouldnt be handicapped for playing "your way". Every team has their own style and they perform well and this is a football simulation.
  • wrabesek

Any advice?

Because like I said the game is garbage if it forces you to play a certain way to win or have the upper hand. I dont enjoy playing like that. Its football meaning you shouldnt be handicapped for playing "your way". Every team has their own style and they perform well and this is a football simulation.

In that case stick to it and improve! I feel like the only one playing 4231 wide. But I sometimes switch to narrow if I cant get into shooting position.
  • Shutup
    2310 posts Fans' Favourite
    I play possession with 433(5). It works but have to be patient and some games are frustrating, but since moving from 4411 it's night and day. Give it a go
  • tilen11
    Shutup wrote: »
    I play possession with 433(5). It works but have to be patient and some games are frustrating, but since moving from 4411 it's night and day. Give it a go

Playing 4411 since forever😀
  • Notformeclive
    2336 posts Fans' Favourite

Any advice?

I won division one playing possession with 4321 last year, I had passing set low (20-30) and gave the middle striker a 'false nine' instruction, it's considered sweaty because everybody uses three fast forwards on 'get in behind' but like any other it's not the formation itself it's how you play it.

I found wingers last year were too wide and static and LM/RM got in the way of my fullbacks who I like to bring forward, leaving 4231 and 4321 as the best options and I found 4231 a bit defensive and boring to play.

I haven't used it this year though, I will probably give 433(5) a go first.
  • FifaGod97
    137 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Adifunky wrote: »

Any advice?

You're the reason the game is ****, letting the Ais defend for you.
  • Jonboyparker
    5141 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    wrabesek wrote: »

Any advice?

In that case stick to it and improve! I feel like the only one playing 4231 wide. But I sometimes switch to narrow if I cant get into shooting position.

I've started playing 4231 wide and I've improved loads. Only problem is my ST seems very isolated.

Any tips for this formation?

I'm am horrendous this year. I won 7 in a row to get to D5 and then lost the next 10. I keep conceding stupid goals... My GK even decided to shoot into his own goal in the 90th min. I didn't even press anything.

I can't score a 1 on 1 to save my life. Saved everytime! Don't get me started on open goals... Laca just smashed in 1 inch wide everytime.