Athletic Club Bilbao – Basque Heritage

Comments

• bounceFM
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The first leg between us and Lazio ended 0 – 0 at Stadio Olimpico.
  • subpop
    3179 posts National Call-Up
    10-0!!! I've never seen anything like this... What can I say? Impressive season.
  • bounceFM
    edited October 2018
    It's time for a potential league deciding match. I'm meeting Real Madrid in Bilbao. This is what the table looks like.

6d6eb9d4e7a77c7d9dc9bcb0e0a25d79.png

– As you can see, Los Merengues are hard to defeat seeing as they've only lost one game so far.
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 24
    Athletic Club 3 — 5 Real Madrid

Muniaín 9', 80', Asensio 18', Vinicius 45', Asensio 47', Ramos 83', Ibai 86', de Tomás 89'

Assists: Williams (3)
    MoM: Williams (9,4)

4-3-1-2: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Berenguer - López, Ander, Laxalt - Manu - Williams, Muniaín
    4-3-3: Courtois - Odriozola, Maguire, Ramos, Theo - James, Casemiro, Isco - Vinicius, Depay, Asensio

– Hawaii football. Eight goals! Sad to see us lose when we score three goals, but Madrid were very effective. Glad to see Muniaín scoring goals, though. Berenguer and Laxalt had a very poor game.
  • bounceFM
    edited October 2018
    Champions League
    Round of 16, 2nd leg
    Athletic Club 2 — 1 Lazio
    2 — 1 agg.

Muniaín 9', 45' (p), Milinkovic-Savic 20'

Assist: Muñoz
    MoM: Muniaín (9,1)

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Berenguer - López, Ander - Muñoz, Muniaín, Córdoba - Williams

– We're through!! A night where both teams could've qualified. The Italians were scary, and I see why they are reigning Italian champions. But the San Mamés isn't easy for anyone, and perhaps that's why we're in the quarter-finals, and not them.

Now we have equalled the best ever run in the Champions League by Athletic, which is the quarter-finals ('57, '19), and still have the chance to beat that if we knock out our next opponent.
  • bounceFM
    edited October 2018
    Quarter-final draw.

b96b594d3e97aa67a2a30c86dc76ec0b.png

– Exciting! Sevilla are through after beating Bayern München 2–0 at Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán and losing 1–0 at Allianz. So, if this year's tournament is anything like last year, the team who knocks Bayern out in the round of 16 will be knocked out in the quarters.

Sevilla finished second in a tough group with Chelsea, Napoli, and Spartak Moskva. They are on 10th place, 17 points behind us.

My record vs Sevilla (this season last):

1-4, home
    1-1, away
    1-2, away
    2-1, home
    1-0, home

2–1–2.
  • bounceFM
    League table.

8f2d44fdc87fe68d4d08b9c13a3447fe.png
  • bounceFM
    edited October 2018
    Last month and this one. Muniaín won the club's player of the month award for the second time in a row.

0a85eb7c558586195a0195fa8fff1850.png

– As you can see, I beat Real Betis 7–4 in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, and I'm meeting Real Madrid in the final in May. Maybe I'll win my first trophy?
  • bounceFM
    edited November 2018
    La Liga
    Matchday 27
    Athletic Club 3 — 1 Las Palmas

Williams 36', Muniaín 65', Laxalt 73'

Assists: López (2), Williams
    MoM: López (9,4)

4-3-3: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Berenguer - López, Ander, Muniaín - Muñoz, Williams, Córdoba

– Experimenting with a new formation, based off of André Villas-Boas' FC Porto and Pep's City. Inverted wingbacks, advanced interiors, wide wingers, false 9. Hard to fit players like Muniaín and Manu into a 4-3-3, but we'll see if I can tweak it some more.
    Post edited by bounceFM on
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 28
    Barcelona 2 — 1 Athletic Club

Coutinho 30', Rafinha 42', Muniaín 64'

Assist: Córdoba
    MoM: Williams (8,0)

4-3-3: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Lekue - López, Eguaras, Laxalt - Manu - Williams, Guruzeta

– Fully deserved victory, and the result is flattering for us. Simply underestimated the opponent, and this is what you get.
  • bounceFM
    This is what the league table looks like with 10 games left.

9106a797dcb021ac3f5f37bf4a874b9e.png
  • bounceFM
    edited November 2018
    La Liga
    Matchday 29
    Athletic Club 3 — 1 Girona

Sancet 3', López 67', 90+3'

Assists: Ibai, de Marcos, Sancet
    MoM: López (9,6)

4-2-3-1: Simón - de Marcos, Ramalho, Nolaskoain, Berenguer - López, Sancet - Ibai, Muniaín, Muñoz - Lucas

– Back to the old formation, and another 3—1 win at San Mamés. Very impressive display by our midfield duo today.
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 30
    Levante 4 — 3 Athletic Club

Simon 28' 34' 45', Muniaín 36', Boateng 55', Williams 87', Manu 88'

Assists: Williams (2), Manu

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Berenguer - López, Ander - Ibai, Muniaín, Córdoba - Williams

– Unreal game! Almost pulled of an immense comeback, but the last goal wouldn't come. This is a hard blow to our title hope.
  • subpop
    Unexpected defeat against Levante... I hope it doesn't harm your title chances much.
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 31
    Athletic Club 3 — 2 Villarreal

Laxalt 31', Sancet 34', Joaquín 84'

Assists: Lucas (2), Laxalt
    MoM: Lucas (9,4)

4-2-3-1: Simón - de Marcos, Ramalho, Nolaskoain, Lekue - Sancet, Eguaras - Ibai, Manu, Laxalt - Lucas

– Dream debut for Joaquín!! Got promoted from the academy after the Levante defeat, and was included in the 18 man squad against Villarreal because of an important first leg of the CL quarter-finals in a few days.
  • bounceFM
    New promoted player!

Joaquín Hurtado (attacker, 17 y/o, 66 ovr)

5'9" / 175 cm
    Right footed

Skill moves / weak foot
    ⋆⋆⋆ / ⋆⋆⋆

An exciting prospect

81 - Ball control
    78 - Agility
    76 - Dribbling
    74 - Sprint
    71 - Balance
    71 - Long shots
    70 - Shot power
    68 - Finishing
    67 - Curve
    66 - Freekicks
    65 - Acceleration

– Interesting skillset. Reminds me a bit of Pedro Rodríguez. I will use him mostly as a winger on either side.
  • bounceFM
    Champions League
    Quarter-finals, 1st leg
    Sevilla 2 — 4 Athletic Club

Bakambu 29', Promes 32', Córdoba 34', Muniaín 45+1', Williams 82', Manu 86'

Assists: Williams (3), Córdoba

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Núñez, Iñigo, Berenguer - López, Ander - Muñoz, Muniaín, Córdoba - Williams

– Exhausting match! Hard to believe that we managed to turn 2–0 into 2–4 at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán. Before any of the goals we had to shots to the woodwork. And a few minutes later Bakambu scores the opener. In the 90th minute, Sevilla gets a questionable penalty, but Horta misses the goal (Simón went the right direction). That's that, and we have a very safe lead ahead of the 2nd leg in Bilbao.
  • bounceFM
    edited November 2018
    And take a look at the decisive goal from Manu García!

ezgif-4-fb1766e5868f.gif
    (If the GIF stops working: click here)
  • bounceFM
    edited November 2018
    Champions League
    Quarter-finals, 2nd leg
    Athletic Club 2 — 3 Sevilla
    6 — 5 agg.

Muniaín 6', Promes 21', López 24', Benedetto 48' 90+2'

Assists: Córdoba, Muniaín
    MoM: Muniaín (9,1)

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Yeray, Núñez, Berenguer - López, Ander - Muñoz, Muniaín, Córdoba - Williams

– Way, way too close to comfort... Sevilla delivers a much stronger display away from home, but they lack one goal. This means that we have written history!! Beating the previous best ever run in the Champions League (which was QFs in '57 and last season). No matter what happens in the semis, this will be a memorable campaign.

Now we wait for our opponent to be announced...
  • bounceFM
    Quarter-final results.

2cb1855be7ae89252596654f8dfd19f1.jpg

– In other words; Tottenham, Dortmund, Atlético and us are through.
  • bounceFM
    And we've drawn Dortmund! Very exciting! First leg at San Mamés, second at Signal Iduna Park...

Atlético vs Spurs in the other game.
  • bounceFM
    Champions League
    Semi-finals, 1st leg
    Athletic Club 0 — 1 Borussia Dortmund

Götze 67'

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Yeray, Núñez, Berenguer - López, Ander - Muñoz, Manu, Córdoba - Muniaín
    4-2-3-1: Bürki - Bellerin, de Ligt, Vertonghen, Passlack - Fabián, Partey - Pulisic, Kagawa, T. Hazard - Volland

– A nerve-wrecking game. We are missing Iñaki Williams who is out for three weeks with an injury, and Muniaín is moved up. We never managed to get control of the game, and BVB victor in the chaos. They've scrambled together one hell of a team, whoah. Bellerin, de Ligt, Fabián, Partey, Hazard... No wonder they're in the semis. Hopefully Iñaki can come off the bench in the second leg, but that's nothing else than a bonus.
  • subpop
    Well... not the best result, but it isn't over yet. There's a chance in the 2nd leg.
  • bounceFM
    edited November 2018
    bounceFM wrote: »
    (If the GIF stops working: click here)

It stopped working... Try here.
  • bounceFM
    The two last months and the final one of the season.

6dd51c11ec76d3b114d10121dbf41660.png

La Liga table.

9b03437eb56104675ad2ea93b632f8c0.png

– Three games left. Real Madrid are facing Sevilla away, Sporting Gijón away, and Villarreal home. We're facing Sporting Gijón away, Rayo Vallecano home, and Sevilla away. Barcelona vs Getafe and Girona home, and Valencia away. Fun that both us and RM are playing two of the same teams on the same ground. Barcelona have the easiest schedule, but it has to be mentioned that Girona is on 8th place.
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 36
    Sporting Gijón 0 — 0 Athletic Club

4-2-3-1: Simón - de Marcos, Ramalho, Nolaskoain, Lekue - Sancet, Eguaras - Ibai, Susaeta, Vicente - Guruzeta

– Disappointing! We are playing like boys in attack, no real threats. Fielded a reserve team because of the 2nd leg vs Dortmund in four days. This might cost us our chances of a league title.
  • bounceFM
    Madrid draw, we draw, Barca and Atlético wins... That gives us this league table with two games left!

ab371d7fe0bb852a3e7637e390753b4e.png

– Real Madrid have to give up at least three points while we win our remaining games for us to be winners. We beat them 3–1 at the Bernabéu, and lost 3–5 at San Mamés (there's no away goal rule in LL). Therefore, it comes down to a) goal difference b) goals scored. And we have +13 superior goal difference than them. Beat Barca 3–0 home, and lost 1–2 at Camp Nou, so we will beat them if tied. Atléti, on the other hand, won 4–2 at San Mamés, while we won 1–0 at Wanda Metropolitano.
  • bounceFM
    All right. Ready to play Dortmund at the mighty Signal Iduna Park.

This is my line-up (4-4-1-1): Simón - Capa, Yeray, Núñez, Berenguer - Manu, López, Ander, Laxalt - Muniaín - Córdoba

— Iñaki Williams is 80% match-fit, and is on the bench. Unless I'm desperate for a goal, I won't bring him on (high injury risk).

Wish me luck!
  • bounceFM
    Champions League
    Semi-final, 2nd leg
    Borussia Dortmund 1 — 1 Athletic Club
    2 — 1 agg.

Götze 51', Pulisic (o.g.) 90+1'

— Lucky that we even got one goal. We are way too affected by the atmosphere and the seriousness of the game. Dortmund were the better side over 180 minutes, they're a well deserved finalist. This CL run will give us some real experience for the coming seasons. Now onto the title race in Spain.
  • bounceFM
    La Liga
    Matchday 37
    Athletic Club 1 — 0 Rayo Vallecano

Ander Herrera 66'

Assist: Manu García
    MoM: Ander Herrera (8,4)

4-2-3-1: Simón - Capa, Ramalho, Iñigo, Lekue - Sancet, Ander - Ibai, Muniaín, Muñoz - Williams

— A so called "struggle victory". Ander Herrera's curling shot from 20 meters saves the day, and keeps the hope alive.