The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

Is anyone having any joy with a possession game?

BRISTOL86
8954 posts League Winner
I've always been a player who likes to have a lot of possession. Always have and always will, it's just not in my nature to not want the ball, I'm only happy when I'm in control of the ball.

But this year it feels more than ever that anti football is going to win. Almost every goal I concede is cheesy. Rebounds, keeper fumbles, random bounces. It seems no one is actually scoring good, well worked, good 'football' goals.

So is a possession style dead? Do I have no choice but to succumb to the alternative? Keeping 10 men behind the ball and just spamming through balls all game, knowing that eventually one or two will get through no matter what the opponent does?

I know I'm not a great player, but when it became apparent how much pace had been toned down I thought we were finally going to get a game where thinkers could actually prosper, where measured, patient attacking might be rewarded.

You know, a game that actually felt a little like real football for once....

Is anyone managing it consistently? If so, formations, tactics? I'm all ears!

Comments

• BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    No one?
  • RadioShaq
    15610 posts Moderator
    I am enjoying it more this year. Possession means something now. Last year you could hold the ball for 70 percent possession and 90 plus pass accuracy without trying.
  • Hoopsterz
    2081 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited September 2018
    Seems the second you hold position or try to slow down play the opposition tackles you and gets the ball back for me. If you do manage to string 4/5 passes together near the opponents box he somehow has 15 players in his box ready to block any shot or passes that come near.

Finding it easy to keep possession in the middle of the park but get closed down so quick anywhere near either box by multiple players.
  • Boysie91
    10463 posts Has That Special Something
    Hoopsterz wrote: »
    Seems the second you hold position or try to slow down play the opposition tackles you and gets the ball back for me. If you do manage to string 4/5 passes together near the opponents box he somehow has 15 players in his box ready to block any shot or passes that come near.

Finding it easy to keep possession in the middle of the park but get closed down so quick anywhere near either box by multiple players.

Same
  • Cornushon
    4846 posts Big Money Move
    No worries guys, this should be patched soon! FIFA 17.3 coming your way!
  • Mutu10gol
    2775 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited September 2018
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I am enjoying it more this year. Possession means something now. Last year you could hold the ball for 70 percent possession and 90 plus pass accuracy without trying.

this
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Hoopsterz wrote: »

This. If I try and keep the ball with one player, the opponent just wins the ball back without trying. Shielding seems completely ineffective and Bernard tackles like Gattuso in his prime.
  • nitraw
    2079 posts Fans' Favourite
    i genuinely have no idea what youre referring to. this is WAAYYY more of a possession game than the last few fifas. i seem to score only when i put together some good passing and movement. yea sure maybe an occasional long shot or header, but 80% of my goals are coming from build up play and passing.
  • MaestroPirlo21
    1501 posts Play-Off Hero
    I have been dominated my possession players early on in this game. I think patience is the key, both on offense and defence.

I always liked to have more possession so I think I will adjust the tactics to reflect more of a possession game with slower build up.
  • I dominate games yet soon as I get anywhere near the opponents box the AI defending does me. Worst Fifa ever
  • mdizzl3
    12417 posts Has That Special Something
    Yeah love it, using a 4411 or 451
  • Antparry92
    18943 posts World Class
    Yeh with a 4-3-3(2). Took me a while to get the hang of not making UT 18 passes but it can certainly be done. I find slowing down play really effective actually
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    I think a lot of the trouble stems from how much I dislike not having the ball. It makes me defend really crazily gung-ho, charging to the man on the ball all the time, need to slow down my defensive play I think
  • nsholmberg11
    1388 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yeah I love it but still working on constitency. I don't use the radar but watch my players, look for space and try to be patient. Defense is also about about patience. I'm not the best record wise but I do enjoy trying to play possession.
  • CharlieC
    7366 posts Big Money Move
    I think it’s just because shooting is so random. If you knew what type of shot was going to come off, it would be better but it’s a lottery.
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    yes ..
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    So, to those who are having joy with it, what tactics/formations are you using? Width? Players in box? Player instructions?
  • nsholmberg11
    1388 posts Play-Off Hero
    I use 4411(2), I normally have fullbacks ok overlap. My more defensive minded mid on stay back while attacking. I kept it pretty simple but curious what others have set up as well.
  • sheffutd87
    3441 posts National Call-Up
    I’m doing well with possession based play.

Using R1 to move away with the first touch. L1 close dribble and never reviewing a ball with sprint held to avoid heavy first touches.

Using 4231 wide I seem to be able to hold the ball and then work the wide men inside.
  • Khangaskhan17
    3953 posts National Call-Up
    There’s definitely some adjustments to be made with the possession game but it’s been fun. Finishing is a bit harder this year so I feel like I need to put more shots on goal than before, even if it’s not the perfect shot. Making a midfielder stay central also seems to help a lot when dealing with the counter.