Check out the pitch notes for an update on upcoming content here.

The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

My opinion of Fifa 19

zzachzx
4618 posts National Call-Up
edited September 2018
I've been thinking about this a lot and I doubt anyone really cares about my opinion but I figured I'd post it and maybe get some discussion going. I think the website is split, probably more leaning towards positive towards the game but I'd like to know how everyone feels.

I'll start off by saying that I enjoy Fifa 19 a lot and that I think it's a huge step in the right direction. I love the changes they made to pace that doesn't turn the game into a huge LB+Y fest and just constant counter attacks. So I really appreciate that. I also appreciate that I can use any type of player I want and effective with him, a player like IF Xhaka wouldn't be nearly as effective in Fifa 18 or any previous game as he is in this game because pace isn't the biggest factor in whether a player is "viable".

With that said, I've played about 40 games of exclusively Division Rivals, giving me a record of 28-6-14. Far from the best record, but I did struggle with connection issues and got a couple of D/C losses during the first stages of the trial. So I'm not completely ❤️❤️❤️❤️

So I've said what I like about the game, but here is my major gripes with the game:

Physicality/shielding - I think that EA have gotten this massively wrong this year. Like I said, EA made a major jump forward with the pacing of the game this year but at the same time they really messed up the shielding for attackers. It's so easy to get caught up and bullied off the ball by defenders, to the point where small, elite dribblers such as Insigne, Mertens, Salah, whoever are not nearly as effective as they should be. I've watched pretty much everyone of Salah's games last season and if you did too, you would know that even for a smaller guy, he's got great balance on the ball and can sometimes shield the ball from much larger defenders. This isn't something that's possible in Fifa 19 because pretty much any player, regardless of size, position, or defensive stats, will knock him off the ball. Another thing is that a way that attackers beat their defenders is by cutting across them to get their (the attacker's) body in a better position to shield the ball from the defender. This simply isn't an option in this game.

Auto interceptions/tackling - Just like with physicality, we've taken a step forward for defending but also a step back. The amount of interceptions the game makes for you is simply insane. I understand that anyone with half a brain can stop a ball rolling straight past their feet, but players with not good interception stats are constantly making interceptions that only the elite should be capable of making. To a lesser extent, and I'm kind of repeating myself here, the same problem is with tackling. Anytime that a defender/player gets near the man on the ball, your one option is to just pass it away or you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the ball. There's a lot more skill involved in this. Pressing is extremely effective because of this, often when swarming a player it's hard to get a pass off because of the unrealistic interceptions system.

Ball control - Constantly, time and time again, players with above average ball control lose the ball for absolutely no reason. You want to do a fake shot and change direction? The ball will leave your feet and the defender will magically change direction and accelerate to take it before you can. I don't understand it. And then sometimes, for no reason at all, the player just takes an awful touch. They aren't moving, they're facing the ball, no one is around, but they just take a bad touch. Professional footballers shouldn't be doing this.

Defender recovery - This once again goes into the point about pace. It's a great change but not perfect. When a defender gets beaten, at least in my opinion, they recover a little bit too fast. Say I'm going left, and the defender is right with me, I do a fake shot and switch direction, sometimes the opponent keeps running because they didn't react fast enough but they're able to switch direction and come after me and it's only a matter of seconds before they're back. Obviously, in real life, defenders aren't completely out of the game if they miss a tackle, get skilled on, or whatever. But they don't usually recover as fast as they do in the game.

TL;DR - Good steps forward but a couple steps backward at the same time. AI is overpowered

So, those are my major concerns with the game. Maybe some will be addressed, maybe some are fine the way they are. Let me know what you think, if you agree or disagree, I appreciate your response

Comments

• I SiR MartY I
    5751 posts Big Money Move
    YoU wErE jUsT a PiNg PoNg PaSsEr On 18 tHiS gAmE iS a MaStErPiEcE

I agree with most of what you said, though. Game needs minor changes but with patches to come its either going to make everything worse, or the wrong things get patched.
  • zzachzx

I agree with most of what you said, though. Game needs minor changes but with patches to come its either going to make everything worse, or the wrong things get patched.

The thing is, I don't trust EA to fix things without ❤️❤️❤️❤️ other things up as well!
  • OZero
    6237 posts Big Money Move
    Patching means 20% of your problem got solved and 80% new issues incorporated.

EA, please don't patch. There are issues but I have absolutely no confidence that the game will be better after patching.
  • I SiR MartY I
    5751 posts Big Money Move
    zzachzx wrote: »

The thing is, I don't trust EA to fix things without **** other things up as well!

Pretty much the standard for every year. The game needs some tweaks and it'll be solid but I can guarantee they go another direction with it and ruin the game before January.
  • zzachzx
    OZero wrote: »
    Patching means 20% of your problem got solved and 80% new issues incorporated.

EA, please don't patch. There are issues but I have absolutely no confidence that the game will be better after patching.

That's why I don't know if I really want a patch, honestly. It's super annoying as is, but knowing EA's history with patches, it can get much much worse.
  • Orison
    52757 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    First game in a long time that desperately needs a patch imo.

People stopped trying to enter the box, because there is no point in trying to do so with the negation of pace and with how OP AI defending is. People now try to spam timed finesse shots from 30m out or spam loads of crosses and corners.

I really don't like it especially in the higher regions of div 4 and div 3. You can play an elite player and in the end both of you have 15 shots, but not a single one of you tried finishing inside the box once.
  • zzachzx
    Orison wrote: »
    First game in a long time that desperately needs a patch imo.

People stopped trying to enter the box, because there is no point in trying to do so with the negation of pace and with how OP AI defending is. People now try to spam timed finesse shots from 30m out or spam loads of crosses and corners.

I really don't like it especially in the higher regions of div 4 and div 3. You can play an elite player and in the end both of you have 15 shots, but not a single one of you tried finishing inside the box once.

A good deal of my goals come from outside the box, it's really the only viable way to score besides heading. I haven't scored a single corner yet in Fifa 19
  • zzachzx
    Up
  • Morro92
    55 posts Park Captain
    Only a matter of time before they patch the passing. Too many people in tears. Most realistic mechanics EA have ever produced and it’ll be gone by next week. The ping pong passing, pace merchants will be smiling in 10 days or so.
  • zzachzx
    Morro92 wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before they patch the passing. Too many people in tears. Most realistic mechanics EA have ever produced and it’ll be gone by next week. The ping pong passing, pace merchants will be smiling in 10 days or so.

I have no problems with passing though, it’s the overly aggressive interceptions
  • Finesse_4days
    8975 posts League Winner
    edited September 2018
    Morro92 wrote: »

Bring on the patch this game will be pure bollocks at a high level such as fut champions or Division 1with the current gameplay.
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    almost all the issues in the game would be solved IF players actually performed to the stats they have. However, that is NEVER going to happen. EA want as many engaged users as [possible and the "promise" that a better team has a material impact on performance. it does have some impact, but nowhere near the impact the game implies.

UT is a fantastic concept that for economic reasons will never realize its full potential from a gameplay PoV . Too many conflicting agnedas
  • zzachzx
    Xtc wrote: »
    almost all the issues in the game would be solved IF players actually performed to the stats they have. However, that is NEVER going to happen. EA want as many engaged users as [possible and the "promise" that a better team has a material impact on performance. it does have some impact, but nowhere near the impact the game implies.

UT is a fantastic concept that for economic reasons will never realize its full potential from a gameplay PoV . Too many conflicting agnedas

They have the right idea but I agree. One of the worst problems is speedy dribblers don't accelerate/dribble the way their stats indicate they should, and defenders defend a lot better then their stats indicate