Michael Flynn's journey - Hertha BSC Berlin | Bundesliga | Season 2 - DFB Pokal fight! #HaHoHe

1234568

Comments

  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    pa7En2C.png
  • subpop
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    The game against Manchester United made me think Hertha had found the key, but it seems that the defensive problems continue and it's already costing the team points. I guess it's normal to draw against Bayern, considering their potential. However, even if the victories, the team always receive at least a goal.

    On the other hand, the attack is very solid and productive. Let's hope Hertha can find balance soon.
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    I also thought beating United would give Hertha momentum but the next two results showed otherwise.

    What formation is Hertha playing?
  • Virtual_K
    1541 posts Professional
    Lot of action in the first half of the Bayern match, a hurdle that is tough to get over, but at least Berlin didn't lose; decent draw. Fell late to Wolfsburg, where was that defense we saw in the Champions League? It was good the team got a win before the match with Ajax, but where have the second half goals gone?
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    The game against Manchester United made me think Hertha had found the key, but it seems that the defensive problems continue and it's already costing the team points. I guess it's normal to draw against Bayern, considering their potential. However, even if the victories, the team always receive at least a goal.

    On the other hand, the attack is very solid and productive. Let's hope Hertha can find balance soon.
    Indeed. The balance is a problem. We need to be more concentrated at the back and shouldn't rely on the offense that much. We haven't found the key yet but are still searching for it to lock our own goal. Far too many mistakes whenever the opponents attack from the middle.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I also thought beating United would give Hertha momentum but the next two results showed otherwise.

    What formation is Hertha playing?
    We are mostly playing a 4-5-1. Always with an option to change it to a 4-4-2. We even used to play with 3 at the back but threw it away lately as our wingers are more efficient up front.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Lot of action in the first half of the Bayern match, a hurdle that is tough to get over, but at least Berlin didn't lose; decent draw. Fell late to Wolfsburg, where was that defense we saw in the Champions League? It was good the team got a win before the match with Ajax, but where have the second half goals gone?
    ManU never really tested our defense. Our midfield absorbed it all in midfield. But I think it was a poor performance by ManU this day. Nevertheless it's a good point talking about the lack of goals in the second half. We always try to attack early and get the lead. We often did so and could sit back. Now with being tied or even trailing at half time we couldn't change our mentality and stick to the old manner too much. We need to become more flexible again..
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Champions League

    Matchday 2

    Ajax Amsterdam vs. Hertha BSC



    o01KaI2.png

    Other group result:

    MKg6Oyd.png

    CC0Hm7Z.png
  • subpop
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    Wow... what an important and decisive victory and how it was. These 3 points give you a position of privilege in this group. I don't think it is an easy group, but the team is doing well. Winning in the last 10 minutes as Hertha did is something that can only reinforce the team.
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    What a big victory, the team showed great character to come back and score two late like that.

    It would have been easy to defend and take the point after the first goal but the team was brave and it paid off in the end.
  • JoshDFC
    1886 posts Play-Off Hero
    What a fantastic turn around against Ajax. The team in the league haen't started as strong as we would have liked but maybe the team is getting used to the demands of two competitions. Bayern picking up a lot of draws early in the season but I feel they will soon find their form
  • Virtual_K
    1541 posts Professional
    Quality win against a quality opponent. Hertha show character being down a goal on the road with only ten minutes to play. I'm guessing Ajax were tough to break down by the stats. I see Barco on the score sheet, so another good transfer paying dividends. Hertha in control of the group. Getting that next win will allow for some flexibility.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Wow... what an important and decisive victory and how it was. These 3 points give you a position of privilege in this group. I don't think it is an easy group, but the team is doing well. Winning in the last 10 minutes as Hertha did is something that can only reinforce the team.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    What a big victory, the team showed great character to come back and score two late like that.

    It would have been easy to defend and take the point after the first goal but the team was brave and it paid off in the end.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    What a fantastic turn around against Ajax. The team in the league haen't started as strong as we would have liked but maybe the team is getting used to the demands of two competitions. Bayern picking up a lot of draws early in the season but I feel they will soon find their form
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Quality win against a quality opponent. Hertha show character being down a goal on the road with only ten minutes to play. I'm guessing Ajax were tough to break down by the stats. I see Barco on the score sheet, so another good transfer paying dividends. Hertha in control of the group. Getting that next win will allow for some flexibility.
    It was a huge win and tough game. The game itself was quite even but Ajax were very stable at the back and once we came through we missed our chances. So it was a really great achievement to manage the comeback that late. Barco proved to be a great addition. It was intense but in the end we now sit comfortably in the group after the two wins and did achieve more than we expected to be fair.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    UHwNMUp.png
    mIsIFAZ.png
  • subpop
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    A draw against Augsburg in a game where you could expect a bit more from Hertha followed by a well fought victory against Eintracht.

    The good news is that defense seems to improve... the bad news is that the team lost some attacking power.

    Was there any change in the formation to explain this?

    In any case, the team is among the best and the top isn't far, while the direct rivals are near or even below your position, so there's time to improve things despite the busy fixtures.
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    It is a difficult balance to keep up good European results and the league. It is good to sort the issues out now early in the season.
  • Virtual_K
    1541 posts Professional
    I would agree that Champions League has had an effect on league, but nothing major at this point. If Bayern was on top, maybe I'd be a little worried, but I expect Wolfsburg to drop points. Can't accept too many draws against lower seeded teams, but the follow up win against Eintracht was a good recovery.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    A draw against Augsburg in a game where you could expect a bit more from Hertha followed by a well fought victory against Eintracht.

    The good news is that defense seems to improve... the bad news is that the team lost some attacking power.

    Was there any change in the formation to explain this?

    In any case, the team is among the best and the top isn't far, while the direct rivals are near or even below your position, so there's time to improve things despite the busy fixtures.
    We definitely managed to stabilise our defense again but as you said we are lacking offensive power at the moment. I think it's due to the rotations so we don't really get a rhythm as the S11 gets always mixed up every week. We underestimated the influence of the CL a bit so we need to figure out a formula to improve again. There haven't been a change in formation. We still play in a 4-5-1 mainly and switch it to an 4-4-2 sometimes and if necessary...
    Stlducks wrote: »
    It is a difficult balance to keep up good European results and the league. It is good to sort the issues out now early in the season.
    Yeah it's still early and it's the busiest time now with so many group games in the CL. We need to stay in striking distance in the league in order to fully go out and fight for the top spots again in the second half of the season.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I would agree that Champions League has had an effect on league, but nothing major at this point. If Bayern was on top, maybe I'd be a little worried, but I expect Wolfsburg to drop points. Can't accept too many draws against lower seeded teams, but the follow up win against Eintracht was a good recovery.
    For now they're all struggling which plays in our favour. But Bayern started slowly last season and then took off completely. I hope they or another top team repeats it somehow and marches through.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Champions League

    Matchday 2

    Valencia vs. Hertha BSC



    PZPndYi.png

    Other group result:
    WQC8ENI.png
    EKMhOQj.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    stdmB9I.png
  • subpop
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    Small prize for such a good game of Hertha. Still this away draw is good, especially after the defeat of Man United at Amsterdam.

    The team had more than enough chances to win, especially in the first half. Then in the second, Valencia seemed to find more spaces although they never enjoy great opportunities except Zaza's.

    I also want to ask for one minute of silence for Stark, who surely died punched (and being pierced) by the goalie after the goal header).
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    The away result is a good result given the status of the club in the group. 17 shots you would hope to score more than 1 but that is not always the case.

    Stark might be out awhile with a concussion and possibly death..
  • JoshDFC
    1886 posts Play-Off Hero
    the team are in a very strong position and I believe they should be targeting winning the group from here
  • Virtual_K
    1541 posts Professional
    Hertha Berlin were the better side, but they just needed to not lose, and they did that, plus they got that important away goal (if that factors in at some point). The win by Ajax over Manchester United makes the group somewhat interesting for Leg 2.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Small prize for such a good game of Hertha. Still this away draw is good, especially after the defeat of Man United at Amsterdam.

    The team had more than enough chances to win, especially in the first half. Then in the second, Valencia seemed to find more spaces although they never enjoy great opportunities except Zaza's.

    I also want to ask for one minute of silence for Stark, who surely died punched (and being pierced) by the goalie after the goal header).
    Stlducks wrote: »
    The away result is a good result given the status of the club in the group. 17 shots you would hope to score more than 1 but that is not always the case.

    Stark might be out awhile with a concussion and possibly death..
    We did enjoy many chances but simply couldn't finish them which is unfortunate. In the end we'll take the draw but know we could have won it. With ManU losing the group is getting very interesting now...

    About Stark...I mean he took one for the team. Truly a teamplayer :#
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    the team are in a very strong position and I believe they should be targeting winning the group from here
    There are still 3 games left to play but winning the group would be huge. If the others continue to drop points against each other we do have the chance. But progressing is the main goal from now here.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Hertha Berlin were the better side, but they just needed to not lose, and they did that, plus they got that important away goal (if that factors in at some point). The win by Ajax over Manchester United makes the group somewhat interesting for Leg 2.
    Away goals can be crucial later if your amount of points is even etc. So it does have an effect. But we don't want to rely on any calculations and want to progress by wins and as many points as possible.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    mqGOden.png
    UIuQaga.png
  • subpop
    3174 posts National Call-Up
    Much improved defense and short but positive results. These fixtures were easy and the team colected victories, except for the match against Union Berlin. I would say that Hertha should win these matches, but it is true that it was after the clash vs Valencia, so I suppose that rotations had an impact.

    Tight on top, so still a lot to be written.
  • Virtual_K
    1541 posts Professional
    Rather a listless draw against the "other" Berlin, but keeping a clean sheet is always a good thing. Couple that clean sheet with two more and two wins, and I would say Hertha Berlin is in a good spot. The defensive form will certainly be of benefit in the next leg of Champions League.
1234568
Sign In or Register to comment.