Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Some inconsistant results in there two leagues draws and an elimination from the trophy can't be to happy with them results but then again still fourth and a win in the opening Europa League game away Jovic is looking fantastic
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    WkrgGPF.png
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Good start at the Europa League against Malmo (I am playing soon against them in my story too).

Then I guess it is normal to lose against Manchester United at the Carabao Cup... they fielded important players, so it was difficult. Not a big problem if it gives some rest to the team.

Then unexpected draw against Newcastle... probably disappointing as I think Crystal Palace is superior. Then a new draw, but the rival is tough and I wouldn't say it is a bad result.

If you look at the whole picture, not the best run of results just when the schedule got busy.

I liked the overall review to put the story into a context.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Some inconsistant results in there two leagues draws and an elimination from the trophy can't be to happy with them results but then again still fourth and a win in the opening Europa League game away Jovic is looking fantastic

Overall picture the results are not bad yet but this is the same pattern we had last season so that concerns me. Jovic has been very surprising with how good he is at headers.
    subpop wrote: »
    Good start at the Europa League against Malmo (I am playing soon against them in my story too).

Then I guess it is normal to lose against Manchester United at the Carabao Cup... they fielded important players, so it was difficult. Not a big problem if it gives some rest to the team.

Then unexpected draw against Newcastle... probably disappointing as I think Crystal Palace is superior. Then a new draw, but the rival is tough and I wouldn't say it is a bad result.

If you look at the whole picture, not the best run of results just when the schedule got busy.

I liked the overall review to put the story into a context.

The Malmo match was one of the most fun matches I have played. The formation and way they pressed made it a really exciting up and down game.

The Newcastle draw was very upsetting. Even with XI backup players, I felt we should have won the match.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Tottenham v Montpellier HSC
    Europa League Match 2

WTAumJo.png
    Crystal Palace continue their dominate play in Europa League with a 3-0 win over MHSC. Palace held the visitors to 0 shots in the first half as the Eagles cruised to a controlling lead in group play.

The only negative for Palace was seeing Tuanzebe go out with an injury leaving Bishop without a RB as Wan-Bissaka picked up an injury in training that will have him out the next 6 weeks.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Tottenham v Bournemouth
    Premier League Match 8

7So4hia.png

A late formation change saves the game for Palace after a toothless hour. Bournemouth took the lead early and controlled the advantage for the first hour of the match in London until Bishop called on Zaha from the bench and changed from a 523 to a 442 set.

The switch worked as Zaha scored only minutes after subbing on and Palace held a relentless attack for the final 15 minutes earning a corner that Tomkins converted for the winning touch.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    After these latest results, that cup loss against Manchester United becomes less and less relevant. Crystal Palace looks to be a force this season in Europa League; let's hope it doesn't take too much of a toll in league. Latest win should keep them in the top four in the table, but it seems like the Europa League form is not translating entirely to the league form given some of the earlier draws (well, namely against the lowly Spurs :D )
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    After the inconsistent and unfortunate results against United and Newcastle the team showed once again what they're capable of. Yet another impressive victory in the Europa League. Seems like the international pushes the guys to 110%. And using the momentum for a win in the league to keep track with the top. Quick turnaround and great response by the team.
  • subpop
    Fantastic way to bounce back. First of all, an impressive victory against Montpellier. I must say that the first goal was impressive and the 2nd a very nice and complex header.

In the game against Bournemouth, we could see the hand of the manager to change the course of the match, which probably is the most relevant aspect in a game that Crystal Palace were supposed to win. Well done.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    xGswoF7.png
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    After these latest results, that cup loss against Manchester United becomes less and less relevant. Crystal Palace looks to be a force this season in Europa League; let's hope it doesn't take too much of a toll in league. Latest win should keep them in the top four in the table, but it seems like the Europa League form is not translating entirely to the league form given some of the earlier draws (well, namely against the lowly Spurs :D )

That's my concern, the league matches after EL have been subpar. With the schedule become more congested, dropping these league points will add up.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    After the inconsistent and unfortunate results against United and Newcastle the team showed once again what they're capable of. Yet another impressive victory in the Europa League. Seems like the international pushes the guys to 110%. And using the momentum for a win in the league to keep track with the top. Quick turnaround and great response by the team.

Its obvious the team gets up for Europa league, or the competiton is worse. Just need to find a way to turn the league draws into wins.
    Fantastic way to bounce back. First of all, an impressive victory against Montpellier. I must say that the first goal was impressive and the 2nd a very nice and complex header.

In the game against Bournemouth, we could see the hand of the manager to change the course of the match, which probably is the most relevant aspect in a game that Crystal Palace were supposed to win. Well done.

Jovic is fantastic at headers, I did not expect him to be that good and his goal showed a little of what he can do.

The Bournemouth match was one of the first matches where making a formation shift worked that well. It was a completely different match once we switched. Makes me second guess the original formation in the first place.
  • subpop
    For whatever reason, the team isn't in a good moment. It's normal at some point of the season, but I hope the team can recover soon from this irregular run of results.

Funny that EA refused to show highlights. :D
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    For whatever reason, the team isn't in a good moment. It's normal at some point of the season, but I hope the team can recover soon from this irregular run of results.

Funny that EA refused to show highlights. :D

The EA highlights were players walking out then kickoff to start the match. That was it. I've never seen that before so whatever formula is used to create highlights, must not have worked. No good chances on goal, no hard fouls. It was a strange game.
  • JoshDFC
    The highlights from EA aren't that good in my opinion miss things like players hitting the woodwork or players having penalties saved or missing them its strange. Two nice wins before the bore draw with West Ham
  • subpop
    The highlights from EA aren't that good in my opinion miss things like players hitting the woodwork or players having penalties saved or missing them its strange. Two nice wins before the bore draw with West Ham

I agree with you here.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    edited November 2018
    Basaksehir v Crystal Palace
    Europa League Group Stage

ZjnXo4u.png
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    edited November 2018
    Crystal Palace v Arsenal
    Premier League Match 10

cXorEEz.png
    Post edited by Stlducks on
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    CyB2ULK.png
    2iJBO5n.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Talking about great performances in the EL there. Great job.
    Disappointing draw against Arsenal as the team led twice and then the saved penalty...unfortunate result but still a point. But man the table again...both Fulham and Brighton that good? :o
  • subpop
    Solid performances at the UEL as Crystal Palace practically secured the pass to the next round. Nice heaser by Zaha.

Sadly the team could not pass from the draw against Arsenal despite taking the lead twice. Not only this, the team looked dominant at moments, so I guess it is difficult to be fully satisfied.

About the penalty. I think it was nothing, but didn't have any impact in the final result and it was so soon that it is hard to imagine how the game would have been if you had scored.

Very good summary!
  • JoshDFC
    Brighton top of the league the new Leicester? :lol: I think the team should be happy with the standings as I feel they will grow as the season progresses with the new signings and I expect Fulham and Brighton will lose momentum and fall off eventually
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Talking about great performances in the EL there. Great job.
    Disappointing draw against Arsenal as the team led twice and then the saved penalty...unfortunate result but still a point. But man the table again...both Fulham and Brighton that good? :o

I don't know what is going on with Brighton, they have been the easiest team I've played so far when I won 4-0. I expect them to be like Watford last season and eventually fall off.
    Solid performances at the UEL as Crystal Palace practically secured the pass to the next round. Nice heaser by Zaha.

Sadly the team could not pass from the draw against Arsenal despite taking the lead twice. Not only this, the team looked dominant at moments, so I guess it is difficult to be fully satisfied.

About the penalty. I think it was nothing, but didn't have any impact in the final result and it was so soon that it is hard to imagine how the game would have been if you had scored.

Very good summary!

Thank you! I agree on the penalty and the game kind of paused without the announcer saying anything so I didn't know what happened at first. I do think we had chances but failed to capitalize on them.
    Brighton top of the league the new Leicester? :lol: I think the team should be happy with the standings as I feel they will grow as the season progresses with the new signings and I expect Fulham and Brighton will lose momentum and fall off eventually

Ha I hope not! Last year a few teams like Everton and Watford were near the top but fell off in January. I expect that to happen again. I agree, I think we will play better once I figure out a good rotation and setup for all the attackers. Right now 433 works one game but then is terrible the next. Need to find consistency.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Chelsea v Crystal Palace
    Premier League Match 11

TvWahH4.png
  • subpop
    Shocking defeat. Everything went wrong. The injury of Barella, Chelsea's first (and lucky) goal... then Crystal Palace never appeared. Chelsea is a top team, but still our team was disappointing in this game.

Time to move on.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Maybe the signs were there after a bad draw with West Ham, or maybe Chelsea has gotten their act together. Shouldn't dwell on the loss with a Europa League match coming up, but perhaps something can be learned from it.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Ouch. Ugly defeat there...what a luxury for Chelsea to leave players like Bale on the bench. The early deflected goal was very unfortunate and the reason for how the rest of the game then went.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Shocking defeat. Everything went wrong. The injury of Barella, Chelsea's first (and lucky) goal... then Crystal Palace never appeared. Chelsea is a top team, but still our team was disappointing in this game.

Time to move on.

Completely agree, things went against us before the ball waa even kicked. Time to forget about this match and look ahead.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Maybe the signs were there after a bad draw with West Ham, or maybe Chelsea has gotten their act together. Shouldn't dwell on the loss with a Europa League match coming up, but perhaps something can be learned from it.

One thing learned is that stamina is very important. I played some players that should have rested against Chelsea and paid for it. With the big lead in the Europa group, I'm thinking of a little rotation this next match to rest for the next league game.
    Ouch. Ugly defeat there...what a luxury for Chelsea to leave players like Bale on the bench. The early deflected goal was very unfortunate and the reason for how the rest of the game then went.

That's what I thought too. It's one thing to bring Giroud off the bench but then bringing Bale off just isn't fair.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Crystal Palace v Basaksehir
    Europa League Group Stage

hA2YN9p.png
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wild match is an understatement. Mixed emotions here: can't be happy with the number of goals given up, but Palace have quite the fight in them. Didn't like either of the penalty calls, but I guess it evened out in the end. Couple of crazy goals by Crystal Palace. Better secure that next point just to be safe.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Holy...what a match. Just a back and forth between both sides. Palace showed a great mentality there as they overcame the leeways and get the win in the end. Surely a wild and great match for the neutral viewers. In the end it's a huge win for Palace to go through to the KO stage. Hope the defenses day off there was enough to lock it all down against Malmo.