Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Would be a huge move for Palace to sign Werner. Palace advantage is certainly that they're in the prem and have money to overpay him. Don't know how this would be accepted within the locker room then...
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Townsend highlights big win with stunning free kick goal
    TYZCr8z.png

Townsend saves Tarkowski with winning goal after defenders clumsy red card
    1L7FM9b.png
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    3muYml3.jpg
    Crystal Palace surprise everyone with four silent signings

With rumors of Crystal Palace representatives being in Germany to sign Timo Werner and other rumors of Ndombele coming to London, Palace surprise everyone with four quick signings.

The biggest name being Luka Jovic, 21 year old striker from Benfica for £15m. Not the most expensive signing for Palace this window but Jovic will have the biggest role to fill as Palace are desperate for a starting striker.

Palace strengthen the midfield with Italian Barella for £20m. Barella will be competing with Max Meyer and Milivojevic for playing time.

Young RB Tuanzebe was added for £8m to backup Wan-Bissaka after Van Aanholt was sold to Hertha.

Last was Danny Ings from Liverpool. Ings has had a troubled career with injuries but will be given a chance with the Eagles to backul Jovic and Zaha at the striker position.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Fulham remain unbeaten against Bishop with home draw (1-2-0 overall)
    MbzZOiq.png

Palace beat Villa for second time in a month to advance in Carabao cup.
    RNbSkWj.png
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    ox0oy6U.jpg

tA9KGaP.jpg
    IgB9oez.jpg
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    j1SSirg.png
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Lots of movements in the market. I think it was wise to build a solid team instead of looking for big names.

The initial results are promising. Actually very good results... just as they were last year. I wish the team can keep more consistency this season, but if only results improve a bit, I can see Crystal Palace doing wonders this season.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Lots of movements in the market. I think it was wise to build a solid team instead of looking for big names.

The initial results are promising. Actually very good results... just as they were last year. I wish the team can keep more consistency this season, but if only results improve a bit, I can see Crystal Palace doing wonders this season.

It was a decision I went back and forth on as spending £90m on a big name striker was intriguing. But in the end, having multiple positions filled seemed the smarter choice.

I agree, last season we started out in great form but then went 9 games without a win and didn't win 3 straight at any point in the last 4 months. Need to be much more consistent this season to get into the top 4.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    yxPSmNt.png

ElqEk7l.jpg
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Some interesting signings Barella is an exceptional talent who will make a massive impact on the team I had Tuanzebe on loan last year he makes a few mistakes but he was young when I had him briefly so hopefully you can help him grow as a player
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Some interesting signings Barella is an exceptional talent who will make a massive impact on the team I had Tuanzebe on loan last year he makes a few mistakes but he was young when I had him briefly so hopefully you can help him grow as a player

I have read some good things on Barella but honestly have never watched him play. Like I always do with FIFA signings, I'll now start paying attention to him more in real life.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    I like the match summary, very cool. Goal distribution would be an interesting metric to track. Good start to the season so far. Fulham seems to be Bishop's nemesis. Unless I'm mistaken, Crystal Palace has a favorable group in Europa League.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I like the match summary, very cool. Goal distribution would be an interesting metric to track. Good start to the season so far. Fulham seems to be Bishop's nemesis. Unless I'm mistaken, Crystal Palace has a favorable group in Europa League.

• Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    edited November 2018

Thank you, I saw it on Sofascore and liked it so thought I would keep track this season. Fulham is the team I struggle with. I struggle with the press against Fulham and Man City but using long balls seemed to work in the second half of this match so I'm going to continue that tactic.

Group is very manageable considering some of the other options.
  • subpop
    I think that Crystal Palace should advance in this group without much trouble. BTW, I also like the goal distribution stats. Interesting to follow.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    edited November 2018
    Premier League - Crystal Palace v Brighton
    M23 Derby

EZQsjBI.png

Eagles dominate rivals in 4 goal route
    The M23 derby has been good to Bishop since his arrival at Selhurst Park with a thrilling 7 goal victory last season and now a dominating 4 goal clean sheet win. We talked to Bishop after the match about the rival and his sides recent form.

Q: Third M23 derby since arriving and still unbeaten. How do these matches compare to other league wins?
    B: It's the same 3 points really but it gives the fans more excitment so that is always nice. No offense to Brighton but this is a side we should always beat if we are a serious top of the table contender.

Q: Jovic scored his first goal for the club today and Tarkowski made up for his previous red card with a Man of the Match performance.
    B: The new guys have started out very strong for us. Barella and Ings have been great in training too and are anxious to play more. This year we have a full squad all around. I predict big things.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Premier League
    Liverpool v Crystal Palace

HijWszi.png

Ings scores in debut against his former club

Liverpool stunned Palace with two quick goals right before the half but the London side showed great attitude battling back to earn a point. Danny Ings made his debut for the Eagles and scored the tying goal from a low cross by Jamal Lowe and celebrated in front of his former fans.

Q: The team showed heart today to come back. What was the difference in the second half?
    B: We really just eliminated our mistakes. Their goals came off a needless foul to give up a free kick and then a turnover in midfield that caught our defense off guard. Credit to Liverpool of course but we cost ourselve tonight.

Q: Danny Ings scored against his old club and celebrated pretty wild. Any ill feels from him?
    B: No I don't think so. He was happy to score in a big moment and celebrate with his new teammates.

Q: First ever Europa league match for Crystal Palace next, how excited is the club?
    B: Everyone is pumped. European football is a big honor and we are excited to be in it. But we don't want to be spectators, we want to be in it to win.
  • subpop
    Good results. Crystal Palace destroyed Brighton and showed to be in a different level now. Then a draw at Anfield is always good. The team showed personality to overcome the 2-0. Liverpool is the kind of team that score twice in 5 minutes... still Crystal Palace could have even turned the score around. Very promising results and great image.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    I agree. Very promising performances by Palace within these two games. Brighton didn't got a chance and against Liverpool the team showed a great mentality especially with both of Liverpools goals coming right before half time. A good base to build up on!
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Good results. Crystal Palace destroyed Brighton and showed to be in a different level now. Then a draw at Anfield is always good. The team showed personality to overcome the 2-0. Liverpool is the kind of team that score twice in 5 minutes... still Crystal Palace could have even turned the score around. Very promising results and great image.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    I agree. Very promising performances by Palace within these two games. Brighton didn't got a chance and against Liverpool the team showed a great mentality especially with both of Liverpools goals coming right before half time. A good base to build up on!

I agree, the results are very promising. Last season we went on a winning streak around October, even beat Chelsea but then started dropping points when the season became clustered. We must improve on that this season if we want to advance in the table.
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fantastic performances coming from 2 behind to grab a point vs Liverpool and a dominant win in the M23 derby
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Complete dismantling of Brighton, nothing more to say. The goals by Liverpool were impressive, but more impressive was the way Crystal Palace responded. I am now convinced Crystal Palace would be inviting for Timo Werner at this point should that happen.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Fantastic performances coming from 2 behind to grab a point vs Liverpool and a dominant win in the M23 derby
    Complete dismantling of Brighton, nothing more to say. The goals by Liverpool were impressive, but more impressive was the way Crystal Palace responded. I am now convinced Crystal Palace would be inviting for Timo Werner at this point should that happen.

The team was on a great run and scoring at will seemed. But these results I'll be uploading today might change your mind on Timo coming...
  • Zico9
    13 posts Ball Boy
    First 3 EL league games....predictions

CP 2-1 Basakshir
    CP 3-0 Malmo
    CP 2-2 Montpellier
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Zico9 wrote: »
    First 3 EL league games....predictions

CP 2-1 Basakshir
    CP 3-0 Malmo
    CP 2-2 Montpellier

Close with Malmo!
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    edited November 2018

Malmo FF v Crystal Palace

Europa League Group Match 1

q5b1c4k.png

Crystal Palace enjoy a win in their European debut

Thursday night in the Swedish capital Crystal Palace and Malmo kicked off Europa league play. Malmo got off to a quick start stunning the London side with a goal in only the second minute. But the visitors quickly shook off the goal and responded with three first half goals of their own.

Malmo started the match in a 3-5-2 with only three defenders on the pitch and tried to press the backline of Palace. Palace responded with long balls down the wings to Zaha and Townsend who’s pace was too much for the Malmo back three as Palace created 9 chances in the first half alone.

Barella scored his first goal for the London side with a beautiful strike from outside the box. His goal was quickly followed by Zaha and Jovic to make it 3-1 at the half hour mark.

The second half was dull in comparison with Palace hitting the post multiple times but neither side finding the back of the net.

Palace only have a day to enjoy this victory as they face Newcastle on Saturday in London.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    edited November 2018
    Crystal Palace v Newcastle
    Premier League Match 6

6MXTIvu.png

It was de ja vue for Crystal Palace fans against Newcastle for the second match in a row, Palace are forced to use a second squad against the Magpies. Bishop switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Tuanzebe and Jach making their Premier League debuts. Rafa Benitez played his usual 4-4-2 led by the league’s leading scorer, Muto.

It was a sloppy match all around as neither side showed much bite. Newcastle seemed satisfied with getting a point in London while Palace were not able to create chances. Bishop was understandably frustrated with the result in his post-match interview.

“Last season we were forced to play youth players at times like these when the schedule makes you rotate the squad. We went out and bought players this summer to win these games but that didn’t happen today. We all need to step up and not rely on the big names so much.”

Palace play Manchester United in the league cup next.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Crystal Palace v Manchester United
    Carabao Cup

IsNvqZA.png

A full strength Crystal Palace squad faced Manchester United Tuesday night in the Carabao Cup. United set up in a 4-3-3 with a mix of senior players and a few academy graduates while Palace played their full first team in their usual 5-2-3. Only Pogba’s goal separated the two sides for 70 minutes before Jovic scored on a towering header to draw even. With all the momentum for the home side, Martial silenced the crowd as he slipped between the centre-backs to score the go ahead goal.

Palace pushed forward desperate to send the game into extra time but the United defense held strong. Alexis Sanchez scored during a scramble in the box at the 93’ to seal the victory.

Jose Mourinho was his usual happy self after the match “I have no defenders, I have no money but my players play the way I told them to play and we win. We advance further than all the other teams in this cup.”
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    Tottenham v Crystal Palace
    Premier League Match 7

8vA5vAf.png
    Looking to bounce back to winning ways after only having one win in their last four matches, Crystal Palace travel across town to Tottenham’s unnamed stadium for Premier League match number 7. Last year Palace enjoyed a 2-0 win at Tottenham with goals from Zaha and Townsend.

Jovic continued his great form with another goal for the Eagles, beating Vorm who started for Hugo Lloris. But like the previous match Palace’s lead was short lived. Tottenham’s press forced a mistake from the Crystal Palace backline that Dele quickly converted into a goal to make it 1-1 at the half.

Both sides pressed hard for the winning goal in the second half but neither could create the needed chance. Spurs were close as Harry Kane had two golden opportunities but last year’s leading scorer missed wide of the post on both attempts.

Crystal Palace started September with a dominating performance over Brighton to raise hope and expectations but finished the month only winning once in their final five matches.
  • Stlducks
    1347 posts Professional
    MUJ6ECR.png