Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1700 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    Great match vs Chelsea. The team's had some good results over bigger clubs. The standings are not what I'm used to seeing in an English table. ;)
  • Wyojasond
    11209 posts Has That Special Something
    Liverpool and Arsenal really struggling at the moment. Great win over Chelsea though B)
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Wow congrats on the win! Huge win there even though the big teams doesn't really care about the Carabao that much. Still a big statement. Strange league table so far..
  • Danimal5981
    2158 posts Fans' Favourite
    If you're able to defeat Chelsea, they either did not field their strongest team, or your difficulty-settings need to be adjusted (similar to myself, I also noticed that I started on a level slightly too low for me).

I'm curious about both...
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Great match vs Chelsea. The team's had some good results over bigger clubs. The standings are not what I'm used to seeing in an English table. ;)

I agree, the standings are very strange indeed.
    Liverpool and Arsenal really struggling at the moment. Great win over Chelsea though B)

I am confused by Liverpool as they started the season 3-0-0 and dominated me when we played.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Wow congrats on the win! Huge win there even though the big teams doesn't really care about the Carabao that much. Still a big statement. Strange league table so far..

Yes, I don't think Chelsea cared too much about the defeat but I'm very happy with it.
    If you're able to defeat Chelsea, they either did not field their strongest team, or your difficulty-settings need to be adjusted (similar to myself, I also noticed that I started on a level slightly too low for me).

I'm curious about both...

I think it's a mix of both. Chelsea did not play all of their starters and I'm still adjusting sliders to make it more difficult but still close to realistic. I play on Legendary with the OS sliders but some games still feel easy and others are great. After last night's league game (will post soon) I think I'm getting close with a good set.
  • JoshDFC
    2011 posts Fans' Favourite
    A fantastic result against Chelsea the next round with Leicester will be a tough game as they have gotten off to a brilliant star top after 10 games
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    fLbQE2k.jpg
    Chelsea get revenge for Carabao Cup loss

For the second time in a week these two London sides faced off and battled in a match that came down to the final minutes. This time it was Chelsea coming out on top behind a brace from Morata and a strong performance from David Luiz.

Luiz sat out the Carabao Cup match that saw Chelsea lose on an own goal, this time he saved the match by making a sliding stop to block Townsends attempt at an open net. Andros Townsend faked out the keeper and took a dribble around to find the net empty but Luiz came sliding in to push the shot away.

"I thought we played tough and battled back to get into the game after going down 3-1 but they are a quality side and deserved the win. The frustrating part was Morata's second goal, that was sloppy passing and lazy defending on our end to give up the goal. We can't focus too much on the defeat as we have another top side to face this week."

7scysfe.jpg
    Spurs defense too much for Palace as Eagles drop two straight

Crystal Palace lost their second straight game for the first time all season after Harry Kane and Hugo Lloris proved to be too much for the south London side. Kane scored his league leading 6th goal off a corner in the first half before Kyle Walker-Peters added his first off the year to double Spurs advantage.

Palace only managed 5 shots with only 2 on target all match.

"We knew it would be a tough month with Chelsea, Spurs and United. We have to keep our heads up and try to get ready for the trip to Manchester next week. We are still in a great position in the league and need to stay positive."
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Unfortunate results. Chelsea wanted that revenge. But what a stretch of games with Chelsea twice and Spurs and United. Hope the team finds their game against United and takes something out of this game.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Two tough rivals and a slap of reality. Let's keep the feet on the floor, but I hope the team manage to go back to the good run of results soon.
  • JoshDFC
    No shame in them two losses Chelsea and Tottenham both have very strong squads and are difficult to take points from
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    pgYkYjF.jpg
    Palace drop third straight with loss at Old Trafford

Paul Pogba put his side in front less than 10 minutes into the match with a laser strike from outside the box. The Red Devil fans were in full voice as they watched their club dominate for the next 15 minutes looking like they would score a second. Wilfred Zaha had other plans as he chased down a long clearance and beat Bailey to the box causing the defender to make a desperate tackle and bringing down the Palace striker. Zaha would convert from the spot making it 1-1 at the break.

Anthony Martial made an appearance at the hour mark and 5 minutes later found the net with a powerful header from Pogba's cross.

It would go on to be another loss for Palace as they only managed 4 attempts on target all night.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    Iaer6YR.png
  • Wyojasond
    Man what a brutal stretch. Would’ve been nice to get at least one point Hopefully it doesn’t affect team morale too much
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    A fantastic result against Chelsea the next round with Leicester will be a tough game as they have gotten off to a brilliant star top after 10 games

Leicester are the surprise team this year and have the best defense in the league. They will be tough for sure.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Unfortunate results. Chelsea wanted that revenge. But what a stretch of games with Chelsea twice and Spurs and United. Hope the team finds their game against United and takes something out of this game.

Unfortunately we didn't find a way to get a point against United. It was a brutal month that brought us back to earth.
    subpop wrote: »
    Two tough rivals and a slap of reality. Let's keep the feet on the floor, but I hope the team manage to go back to the good run of results soon.

Now that the tough month is over, we need to regain focus and put these results behind us.
    Man what a brutal stretch. Would’ve been nice to get at least one point Hopefully it doesn’t affect team morale too much

Completely agree. I was hoping for 2 points this month at least but instead we tripled our number of losses on the year.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    xq8Mjrl.jpg

Controversial goal knocks Palace out of the Carabao Cup

At a time where nothing is going right for Bishop or Crystal Palace, things continue to get worse. Palace were knocked out of the league cup by Leicester City in the quarterfinal round.

The goal came from Jamie Vardy who was in an offside position when Iborra attempted to pass to him. But Mike Dean ruled the attempted pass was actually a deflected ball by Max Meyer overruling the debate of Vardy being offside.

"No idea why VAR isn't allowed at a time like this. The ball was clearly passed by a Leicester player before Max got a foot on it. Terrible ruling, I'm not saying we lost by that as we didn't play well. But that adds to the negative situation we are trying to climb out of. "
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    Fk2WWIa.jpg
    Two first half goals see Palace and West Ham end in a draw

Three days after the Leicester City defeat, Crystal Palace were back at it but this time ended the losing streak by picking up a point over another side from London.

Felipe Anderson put on a dribbling show as he moved through the Palace defenders before scoring from inside the box to put the Hammers ahead.

Just before the half it was Milivojevic who got on the end of a corner from Kirby to head in the goal to level the score.

Neither side produced many chances in the second half with the best moment falling to Townsend in the 85th minute on a counter attack but Townsend's last touch failed him as he pushed the ball too far ahead for the keeper to scoop up.
  • subpop
    It looks like the exit of the Carabao Cup wasn't entirely fair. Howevery, the latest results aren't what we expected after the initial run of results.

What's going on? Busy fixtures maybe?
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    It looks like the exit of the Carabao Cup wasn't entirely fair. Howevery, the latest results aren't what we expected after the initial run of results.

What's going on? Busy fixtures maybe?

Busy fixtures are playing a part of it for sure but mostly it is just bad attack play. If Townsend or Zaha have a bad game, nobody else is stepping up at the moment.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    FikFMWo.jpg
    After a month, Palace finally feel the enjoyment of a win

20 year old Sam Woods made his first Premier League start playing centreback next to Tomkins and Tremblay to become the fourth player under Bishop to make a Premier League debut this season.

The start wasn't ideal for Woods as the man he was marking scored off a corner to put Burnley ahead only 8 minutes into the match. Palace controlled the game from that point on with Townsend scoring a curling effort from outside the box and Van Aanholt finding the winner late coming off a cross from Kirby.

The win keeps Palace at 9th in the table with a very busy December under way.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    uEUBBOg.png
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    AwwijjA.png
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    Some really tough games there really, the top 3 teams in the league (Leicester/Chelsea and Utd) all back to back was hard but you responded well after with a draw and a win I believe, nice addition with the debate I watch that sometimes and it's a good show but not a fan of Bellemy, dislike that guy haha
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    Ashy wrote: »
    Some really tough games there really, the top 3 teams in the league (Leicester/Chelsea and Utd) all back to back was hard but you responded well after with a draw and a win I believe, nice addition with the debate I watch that sometimes and it's a good show but not a fan of Bellemy, dislike that guy haha

Thank you, the schedule did us no favors but I'm hoping this means we will have an easy stretch coming up.

I agree haha, I like listening to the Debate podcast but I check who is on it first. There are a few pundits I can't stand so I skip those episodes.
  • JoshDFC
    The team had a tough run of games but came out of it at the end with a much needed win coming from behind as well. The team are three points away from European qualification which would be brilliant in Bishop's debut season.
  • Wyojasond
    Man it’s just been a brutal month and a half. Finally getting that win will hopefully get the boys back on track.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    The team had a tough run of games but came out of it at the end with a much needed win coming from behind as well. The team are three points away from European qualification which would be brilliant in Bishop's debut season.

European qualification is the main goal now that the league cup is gone. Hoping for a deep FA cup run and maybe get a few good draws during it against lower teams.
    Man it’s just been a brutal month and a half. Finally getting that win will hopefully get the boys back on track.

This month is going to be just as difficult I think. The competition isn't as hard but I play every Wednesday and Saturday the next 3 weeks. Depth will be tested.
  • subpop
    The team fell the mid zone of the league table. It is evident that, with the current squad, the team have problems to give the 100% in all competitions. Then there is this debate around bringing in a new forward to reinforce the squad.

Which is the priority? The Premier League or a good cup run to play in Europe next year?
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    axIgKaU.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Unfortunate cup exit but the team continues to perform quite well in the league. As Bishop stated you're not far away from the european spots. Now another tough game ahead as you could seek for revenge on Leicester but they're sitting high in the table and do have a great season so far. Will be tough.
  • Stlducks
    1437 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    Crystal Palace v Leicester City
    Premier League match 16

j3lVtHT.jpg
    mub4ANz.png