Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Y5eQgl8.png
    Kirby provides spark off the bench for Bishop's first win
    The home side will feel this result is not fair as Watford created more chances and the better chances but in the end its Palace that take the three points thanks to Max Meyers first goal at his new club.

• JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think that 4 points from three games is a very good start considering who you have faced. Beating Watford is massive they are a tricky team to face especially away and Fulham just coming up would have been a really tough place to start
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    (Going to a more simple layout to go through updates quicker to make this career longer. Will do more in depth updates and videos for big matches. )

Fully rotated Palace squad hang on to knock Leeds United out of Carabao Cup
    DcJk17P.jpg

2kaGmAI.png

• Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Late goal stuns Selhurst Park as Southampton and Palace end even in six goal thriller
    IDvPb3M.jpg

Palace bounce back with Meyers third MOTM performance as Huddersfield continue to struggle scoring
    hDsVAk7.jpg

nlsIJ3T.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    The solid run continues. Certainly the offense is doing their job. But the late equaliser by Southampton is unfortunate. Last second effort paid off..Still everything very close in the league so far.
  • Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    Good results, you are beating the teams I expect you to beat and are about mid-table so all is good, hopefully you can go on a cup run after beating Leeds.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Schlupp saves the day with a goal only minutes after subbing on.
    e5fEPGe.jpg

Rotated Palace side take down Everton's first team to move onto Rd of 16.
    K0gwKX5.jpg

GRKPlLr.png

September saw a lot of changes in the table as Liverpool finish the month earning 0 points while Crystal Palace and Leicester City make major improvements. Salah struggled along with his side, still stuck on 4 goals with Hazard now level for the lead.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    54UcjGC.jpg
    u7s3uqW.jpg

Crystal Palace draw Chelsea in the next round of the league cup.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    qIN3EIM.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    edited October 2018
    Yet another solid and important wins. Now the big challenge is ahead in the form of Chelsea.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Ashy wrote: »
    Good results, you are beating the teams I expect you to beat and are about mid-table so all is good, hopefully you can go on a cup run after beating Leeds.

A league cup win would be fantastic. That's the competition I think we have the best shot at winning right now.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Yet another solid and important wins. Now the big challenge is ahead in the form of Chelsea.

Chelsea and at Everton will be tough. The win over Everton in the cup was great but they had chances to score more. Not sure what is going on with Arsenal but they are struggling right now.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    I must say I'm surprised with these results. Definitely over the expectations. The team look very solid... playing in Europe next season isn't an impossible dream.
  • JoshDFC
    Bishop seems to have found a winning formula the team are collecting some really positive results especially away to Everton a fantastic win and the team are in a strong position
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    I must say I'm surprised with these results. Definitely over the expectations. The team look very solid... playing in Europe next season isn't an impossible dream.

I'm surprised also. Looking at the numbers of shots, created chances and pass percentage each game and Palace are never the clear favorite to win. But I'll take the wins!
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Bishop seems to have found a winning formula the team are collecting some really positive results especially away to Everton a fantastic win and the team are in a strong position

The Everton win is my favorite. I played XI second team players and beat Everton's first team. The depth was a concern taking over Palace but a win like that provides hope.
  • Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    Just caught up with it, very good month and deserved manager of the month award, looking strong in the table at 6th, can't say the same to Arsenal though bad start!
    Good to get the cup win with a second string side away at Everton, very tough fixture next though with Chelsea waiting. Big hurdle ahead.
    Cool to see the youth academy prospect promoted, looked like a big future ahead of him.
  • Wyojasond
    11563 posts Has That Special Something
    What the heck happened to Liverpool :s :s :s Nice stretch for palace though and the youth team looks to be building up nicely.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Just caught up with it, very good month and deserved manager of the month award, looking strong in the table at 6th, can't say the same to Arsenal though bad start!
    Good to get the cup win with a second string side away at Everton, very tough fixture next though with Chelsea waiting. Big hurdle ahead.
    Cool to see the youth academy prospect promoted, looked like a big future ahead of him.

No idea what is going on with Arsenal. I'm really pushing for the League Cup as that is the best chance of a trophy but drawing Chelsea next is a big task.
    What the heck happened to Liverpool :s :s :s Nice stretch for palace though and the youth team looks to be building up nicely.

No clue, they started out so well and gave now earned two points in two months. Not that I'm complaining. 😂
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    EZwMn4D.jpg
    Late goal disallowed spoils Bournemouth's day
    In the 87' Jermain Defoe thought he won the three points for his side as he ran to the sideline to celebrate only to turn around and see no teammates with him. Defoe was ruled offside by the assistant and the ruling looked correct, though very tight. Palace were fortunate with the call as they looked second best most of the night.

ztOnbrb.jpg
    Palace hit the post in the 77' but fail to score for the second straight match.
    Bishop switched to a 442 formation to try kick starting the attack but this tactic failed also as Palace only managed 6 shots all game. The only good news for Palace fans is that Andros Townsend is set to return for the Everton match in a weeks time.

FOLzixe.jpg
    Townsends return ignites Palace in route of Everton
    Andros Townsend announced his return in a big way only three minutes into the match with a 26 yard free kick goal that sparked sleepy attack into four goals. Townsend went on to set up Zaha for the second goal before the half.
    With a three goal lead, Bishop subbed on Bruce Tremblay for his senior debut. Tremblay played LB for the final 15 minutes.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    BegDLcj.jpg
    7 goals in the first half as woeful Arsenal defense continues to haunt Emery.
    Arsenal have been off to a dreadful start under their new manager and the defense is the main culprit. Arsenal started a lineup consistening of five youth team players with three back on defense. The youth showed as Torreira, Guendouzi and Holding all committed vital mistakes.

"Today was a good measuring stick for our club. Arsenal are a lot like us, rebuilding under a new manager while trying to give young players a chance. I thought we responded well after going down 3-1 and were good enough to hold the lead during the second half."
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    BpS22da.png
    Round 4 of the Carabao Cup starts with a London derby between Crystal Palace and Chelsea on Friday night
    Palace come into this match unbeaten in their last 12 matches in all comps. Chelsea sit third in the table following a 2-0 defeat to Manchester United only a week ago.

Chelsea beat Bolton in their only league cup match so far while Palace have eliminated Leeds and Everton in the first two rounds.

Lineup news, Chelsea will be without Rudiger due to an injury while Palace are at full strength for the first time all year.

We talked to Bishop prematch on his thoughts.

Coach, the team is on great form and are coming off a great win over Arsenal. How is the confidence going into tonight?
    The team is flying high and we feel unbeatable. Chelsea are obviously the best side we have faced but we believe we can win.

A 532 lineup tonight. Why the change?
    Chelsea are a great attacking side but are thin at the back. If we can defend on numbers and let Meyer do his thing behind Zaha and Townsend, I feel like that is our best option.
  • JoshDFC
    The teams form is outstanding beating Everton and Arsenal best of luck against Chelsea in what will be an entertaining game
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Just after two goalless draws it was important to get back to scoring. And what a win against Everton. Right after the team seemed to be willing to make up for the draws and scored yet another 4. This time against Arsenal. Entertaining first half to say at least :D
    Will be a big challenge now against Chelsea. But with the scoring boots the team does have at the moment they should have a good chance at least.
  • subpop
    The good form of the team continues and Crystal Palace keep being the surprise of the season. Interesting to see that the team performed at brilliant level against strong teams as Everton and especially Arsenal. Chelsea should be a great challenge in the Carabao Cup, but Crystal Palace seem to be ready for it.
  • Ashy
    9731 posts League Winner
    Two goalless game followed by a very strong performance against Everton, solid results really and then Arsenal! That game looked crazy, don't know how you scored 3 goals that quickly haha. Big London cup match coming up wishing you the best
  • Wyojasond
    11563 posts Has That Special Something
    Good god, that 7 goal thriller with Arsenal was crazy. Getting to battle with all the big London clubs. Great chance to put down a marker and show you mean business
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    The teams form is outstanding beating Everton and Arsenal best of luck against Chelsea in what will be an entertaining game

Thank you, Townsend coming back has really sparked the attack and it was at the perfect timing.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Just after two goalless draws it was important to get back to scoring. And what a win against Everton. Right after the team seemed to be willing to make up for the draws and scored yet another 4. This time against Arsenal. Entertaining first half to say at least :D
    Will be a big challenge now against Chelsea. But with the scoring boots the team does have at the moment they should have a good chance at least.

I agree, if we can score a few then I like our chances against Chelsea but I don't see us keeping a clean sheet.
    subpop wrote: »
    The good form of the team continues and Crystal Palace keep being the surprise of the season. Interesting to see that the team performed at brilliant level against strong teams as Everton and especially Arsenal. Chelsea should be a great challenge in the Carabao Cup, but Crystal Palace seem to be ready for it.

I will say it is very strange this season and that Chelsea is our first real test since Liverpool. Arsenal seem to be doing a complete rebuild and are fighting relegation. Chelsea match will show how we truly match up with the top teams.
    Two goalless game followed by a very strong performance against Everton, solid results really and then Arsenal! That game looked crazy, don't know how you scored 3 goals that quickly haha. Big London cup match coming up wishing you the best

The match was crazy! Arsenal were great in attack but left a lot of space at the back that made attacking pretty easy. Both teams went defensive in the second half which played into my favor.
    Good god, that 7 goal thriller with Arsenal was crazy. Getting to battle with all the big London clubs. Great chance to put down a marker and show you mean business

I scored 3 goals in a few minutes because Arsenal gave up it seemed. One was a quick counter, the second was an easy giveaway from Torreira that gave me a 2 on 1 and then the 3rd the CBs split apart leaving an open shot from the top of the box. It was a strange few minutes that I have never experienced in FIFA before.
  • Chris
    5400 posts Big Money Move
    Palace definitely have a very solid side and a few decent young players, definitely a team I'll do a CM with eventually. Meyer is a gun of a player, good luck
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Crystal Palace v Chelsea
    Rd 4 Carabao Cup

Gus948z.png
    Crystal Palace elimate Chelsea after own goal by Azpilicueta

In a surprising twist, Bishop sent a lineup out that was different from the usual 4231 long ball approach and played a 5212 instead. Palace played a mix of possession while attacking on the counter when the opportunity presented itself.

"We know how Chelsea play and how great they are in attack so we wanted to keep the ball as much as we could. But we also know it is extremely difficult to score if they are set up to defend so using Zaha and Townsends pace to attack was our best option." Bishop explained after the match.

"I won't say it was perfect as we benefited from a few chances they missed but we also missed a few. Overall, the staff is very pleased with the performance."

Palace will only have a few days to enjoy this victory before traveling to Stamford Bridge for a league match Sunday.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    EpTxMrc.png
  • subpop
    Great victory at the Carabao Cup. It was a tight game with chances for both sides, but the victory was in the details and Crystal Palace fought hard to reach the objectives. Well done.