Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    What a fun game... a game of errors and alternatives. Errors by the referee... those 2 penalties. The 4th goal of Crystal Palace... that goalie. And on top the failed bicycle at the end of the game.

In any case, 3 points in the bag and let's hope you win the point you need to advance as group winner.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Wild match is an understatement. Mixed emotions here: can't be happy with the number of goals given up, but Palace have quite the fight in them. Didn't like either of the penalty calls, but I guess it evened out in the end. Couple of crazy goals by Crystal Palace. Better secure that next point just to be safe.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Holy...what a match. Just a back and forth between both sides. Palace showed a great mentality there as they overcame the leeways and get the win in the end. Surely a wild and great match for the neutral viewers. In the end it's a huge win for Palace to go through to the KO stage. Hope the defenses day off there was enough to lock it all down against Malmo.

The best thing about the win is securing a spot in the knockout rounds of course but the other great thing was the team fighting back repeatedly. It was an all around terrible game on defense but we somehow held on.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    What a fun game... a game of errors and alternatives. Errors by the referee... those 2 penalties. The 4th goal of Crystal Palace... that goalie. And on top the failed bicycle at the end of the game.

In any case, 3 points in the bag and let's hope you win the point you need to advance as group winner.

That is a good way to explain it, everyone including the ref was poor. I have had two penalties against me the last two matches, both on corners with contact in the box. Something strange to continue looking out for.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    Sheffield Wednesday v Crystal Palace
    Premier League Match 12

oG9Eich.png
  • subpop
    Easy victory against a weak side which showed a poor defensive level in both goals. I still loved the attacking movements of Crystal Palace in both goals, beautiful in their own style.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    Easy victory against a weak side which showed a poor defensive level in both goals. I still loved the attacking movements of Crystal Palace in both goals, beautiful in their own style.

Thank you, the reason I picked Palace was partly because of Townsend, Zaha and Max Meyer. They are very fun to play with in attack.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    Crystal Palace v Manchester City
    Premier League match 13

zfXhDD4.png
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Two fantastic wins especially the one against Manchester City could have been out of site in the first half and what a ball it was to find Barella for the second goal and deserved victory
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    The Sheffield Wednesday was a good albeit easy victory that Crystal Palace took care of in the manner of their superiority. The Manchester City win is a great win on many levels. Crystal Palace were threatening, had a lot of the ball, and played stalwart defense against a dangerous side. The penalty gave Manchester City a boost when they looked like they were being outplayed. Poor De Bruyne was confused after that take down in the box. :D Some good game management to take the three points.
  • subpop
    What a great victory. At some point of the game the 1-0 seemed too short for the chances Crystal Palace had enjoyed. Then a dumb penalty allowed Man City to back into the game.

In the second half, Barella scored for our team after a brilliant assist. I really liked the wide football Crystal Palace was playing and it was a perfect example of it.

As it was to expect Man City pressed to tie the game and they were near their objective. Thankfully luck was on your side and these 3 points taste really well.

Brilliant result.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Two fantastic wins especially the one against Manchester City could have been out of site in the first half and what a ball it was to find Barella for the second goal and deserved victory

We should have been out of sight in the first half. After the last two City matches where we could barely create a chance, this didn't even feel like the same team I was playing.
    The Sheffield Wednesday was a good albeit easy victory that Crystal Palace took care of in the manner of their superiority. The Manchester City win is a great win on many levels. Crystal Palace were threatening, had a lot of the ball, and played stalwart defense against a dangerous side. The penalty gave Manchester City a boost when they looked like they were being outplayed. Poor De Bruyne was confused after that take down in the box. :D Some good game management to take the three points.

Ha that has happened the last few matches. I have given up 3 penalties since the update and it seems like the game goes silent for a minute and players just wonder around. I like to think it's VAR taking place in the background which confuses everyone.
    What a great victory. At some point of the game the 1-0 seemed too short for the chances Crystal Palace had enjoyed. Then a dumb penalty allowed Man City to back into the game.

In the second half, Barella scored for our team after a brilliant assist. I really liked the wide football Crystal Palace was playing and it was a perfect example of it.

As it was to expect Man City pressed to tie the game and they were near their objective. Thankfully luck was on your side and these 3 points taste really well.

Brilliant result.

I'm glad you were able to notice the style and objective of our tactic. That means it must have worked! In past matches against City we set up to defend and counter. Their prese up the middle always caused us issues and we turned it over in bad areas. This time we played with more attacking options and set up to attack down the wings to go around the press. Luckily, it worked great to create chances.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Crystal Palace vs Malmo
    Europa league group match 5

3tvxr7Z.png
    Post edited by Stlducks on
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    HcO1OIU.png
    aBxNMfW.png
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    After watching the highlights then reading the match report, the uneven play of Palace against Malmo makes more sense. The second string had their moments going forward with a lot of space on the left wing by the video with some quality finishes. Defense, well, got lucky in the opening minutes with that missed shot on an open net, and then to give up two goals after Palace looked superior. In the end, Palace won and the players got some experience so a plus overall. Noticed that a sizeable majority of goals conceded take place in the first half. Might try a shot of espresso before the game starts. :)
  • subpop
    Objective accomplished. Fun game, in which Crystal Palace was superior and enjoyed the best chances, although Malmö surprised with attacking football and also enjoyed good chances... especially that one with 0-0, which could have changed the game. Good luck in the draw.

Nice summary as always! Very complete and interesting.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Wow what a run of games. The players are really showing the best version of themselves lately. Huge win against City in the league and what a game against Malmo then. Didn't expect the team to march through the EL flawless. But the offense is just showing a great cohesion and they all do work well together. Hope the team can keep up the pace.
  • Zico9
    13 posts Ball Boy
    Nice result...What's the current rating of Lowe in your save ?
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    After watching the highlights then reading the match report, the uneven play of Palace against Malmo makes more sense. The second string had their moments going forward with a lot of space on the left wing by the video with some quality finishes. Defense, well, got lucky in the opening minutes with that missed shot on an open net, and then to give up two goals after Palace looked superior. In the end, Palace won and the players got some experience so a plus overall. Noticed that a sizeable majority of goals conceded take place in the first half. Might try a shot of espresso before the game starts. :)

A shot of expresso might work better than the tactics I've tried! I think I try being too possesive of the ball to start matches and I pass myself into mistakes. Later in the match I tend to play more free and open to create chances.
    Objective accomplished. Fun game, in which Crystal Palace was superior and enjoyed the best chances, although Malmö surprised with attacking football and also enjoyed good chances... especially that one with 0-0, which could have changed the game. Good luck in the draw.

Nice summary as always! Very complete and interesting.

Thank you. Yes, winning the group was the main objective but winning it with a match to spare is great. I recently called up a few players that I want to get gametime with and this is a great chance.
    Wow what a run of games. The players are really showing the best version of themselves lately. Huge win against City in the league and what a game against Malmo then. Didn't expect the team to march through the EL flawless. But the offense is just showing a great cohesion and they all do work well together. Hope the team can keep up the pace.

We did benefit from an easier group I believe so that helped. But the attack is playing out better than I imagined. I put a lot of focus in making the team more attack mind so I'm glad it's working out.
    Zico9 wrote: »
    Nice result...What's the current rating of Lowe in your save ?

I don't have the game in front of me at the moment but I want to say he's around 74. The main thing about Lowe that I like is his pace amd dribbling. He is like a poor Zaha where he can create chances on his own but obviously not as good as Zaha.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Everton v Crystal Palace
    Premier League match day 14

lhy30Wy.png
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Always impressed how Crystal Palace responds to going down a goal after a spell of poor play. Shows the team has character and are legit contenders in the league and in Europe. The history sidebar is a nice touch.
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Crystal Palace v Man United
    Premier League match day 15

IfXDI9c.png
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    L8uEDui.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Damn I assume it was to expect...after yet another win against Everton the team falls in the last 15 minutes against United. Palace missed the last pass in the first half to improve their chances and United punished them by being clinical in the end. Unfortunate.
  • subpop
    Mixed feelings. Watching the video, I think Crystal Palace got too much from the game against Everton (I don't know how many clear chances they wasted), while the 0-2 against Man United was extremely excessive.

Everton did everything perfect until the 1-0. Then they relaxed too much... look at how pasive their defense was at the 1-1.

But I also think that Manchester United should feel lucky for surviving to the first half... and for finding two isolated goals which never were a consequence of their football. Typical Mou though...

• Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Always impressed how Crystal Palace responds to going down a goal after a spell of poor play. Shows the team has character and are legit contenders in the league and in Europe.

Open mouth, insert foot. :D

• Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    Damn I assume it was to expect...after yet another win against Everton the team falls in the last 15 minutes against United. Palace missed the last pass in the first half to improve their chances and United punished them by being clinical in the end. Unfortunate.

Spot on, the first half against United was key and we didn't finish any chances.
    Mixed feelings. Watching the video, I think Crystal Palace got too much from the game against Everton (I don't know how many clear chances they wasted), while the 0-2 against Man United was extremely excessive.

Everton did everything perfect until the 1-0. Then they relaxed too much... look at how pasive their defense was at the 1-1.

But I also think that Manchester United should feel lucky for surviving to the first half... and for finding two isolated goals which never were a consequence of their football. Typical Mou though...

As they say, it always evens out over a season in football. Against Everton we showed signs of bad habits but got lucky towards the end. United the luck was not there. Typical Mou, terrible league form but winning the group in CL, fire him or keep him?
    Always impressed how Crystal Palace responds to going down a goal after a spell of poor play. Shows the team has character and are legit contenders in the league and in Europe.

Open mouth, insert foot. :D

You jinxed me!
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    MHSC v Crystal Palace
    Europa League Group Stage

CbDptRd.png
  • Stlducks
    1351 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Group stages have concluded, teams now wait to find out who they will draw in the knockout round.

iJ6QO5f.png
    LByWolK.jpg
  • subpop
    It was an irrelevant game as everything was already solved. Very nice goal of Amaral in what it seems it was a balanced first half, so the 1-1 didn't look unfair. Montpellier seemed a bit more dangerous in the 2nd half. The most important was to see new faces in the team, testing their level in high level games. I wish you were able to take conclussions.

Interesting teams in the draw. Good luck!
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    I actually can't see an easy draw for you out of them teams. Some of the teams dropping out of the Champions League are shocking Juventus? and AS Monaco?