The story of Koldo Okariz | 2021-2022 | FC Barcelona: preseason start

Comments

• Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    What a game for Lunin with the penalty save and multiple other big moments he stepped up. Koldo has a right to be angry, the ref let the match to on way too long and it cost OM two points.

Again, dropping points the same time as clubs above you. Very frustrating.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Stlducks wrote: »
    What a game for Lunin with the penalty save and multiple other big moments he stepped up. Koldo has a right to be angry, the ref let the match to on way too long and it cost OM two points.

Again, dropping points the same time as clubs above you. Very frustrating.

Yes. Lunin is not to blame for the poor defensive record. Brilliant goalie.

Probably we didn't deserve the victory, but the ref never saw the end of the game.
  • subpop
    UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE

ROUND OF 16 - 2nd LEG

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE v CRYSTAL PALACE

vXBtdbs.png

HASE2S5.png

• Danimal5981
    2084 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow! You held a clean sheet, that's a promising sign. A favourable draw would up your chances for a semi final and that would suddenly become the quickest, if not easiest way towards next year's Champions League, as the Europa League winner qualifies for that tournament.
  • subpop
    Wow! You held a clean sheet, that's a promising sign. A favourable draw would up your chances for a semi final and that would suddenly become the quickest, if not easiest way towards next year's Champions League, as the Europa League winner qualifies for that tournament.

It definitely was a weird game, because it really had opportunities and too much direct football for my taste, but the defenders won over the attackers... or the attackers missed what you can never miss. It was very open until the end in terms of result, but I think we managed to control the game quite well... more than we did in the first game.

Now we're in the quarter-finals... I'll inform you about the new rival soon.
  • subpop

gNvivDL.png

kHyCAfD.png

bMizDd1.png

• subpop
    zqHJCp1.png
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 4
    Okay, forget my previous post... Out of the seven, that was the least wanted of all. Or do you have a different perspective on that?

I do have to say, a very select number of countries:
    Spain with 6 teams, France / Italy / Germany 3 each and Liverpool being the sole English team.
  • subpop
    Okay, forget my previous post... Out of the seven, that was the least wanted of all. Or do you have a different perspective on that?

I do have to say, a very select number of countries:
    Spain with 6 teams, France / Italy / Germany 3 each and Liverpool being the sole English team.

Liverpool is the most powerful rival. The first sensation is that we are unlucky. Then, on second thought, I can see it as an opportunity. It is evident they are the favourites, but in two games we can surprise them. At the end, if we advance, I think that we have good reasons to think about the title. And if we have to lose, better now than in the final, considering the situation in the league.

About the surviving teams, I guess it is normal to see such polarization in the UCL... not that much in the Europa League. Shocking failure of the English clubs and surprised about the Spanish presence, even though the mid-high class of LaLiga take the UEL quite seriously compared to other big leagues.
  • Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    What a match against Palace, wasted chances by both teams but that played in your favor. The next round draw is the hardest I think. Playing a champions league caliber team in Europa league. If OM can win this, their chances of winning EL are great. Okariz has his work cut out for him for sure.

Great league summaries. It pains my heart reading the Poch/Madrid headline but at least he is winning.

Around the world tables look very realistic which is nice to see in FIFA.
  • subpop
    What a match against Palace, wasted chances by both teams but that played in your favor. The next round draw is the hardest I think. Playing a champions league caliber team in Europa league. If OM can win this, their chances of winning EL are great. Okariz has his work cut out for him for sure.

Great league summaries. It pains my heart reading the Poch/Madrid headline but at least he is winning.

Around the world tables look very realistic which is nice to see in FIFA.

I have the same feeling about the Liverpool game. In any case, it will be tough and we can't forget Ligue 1. We can't count on the UEL card to reach the UCL, it is very risky. Besides we face Lille and ASSE soon.

Real Madrid are flying... it is impressive. The only league solved at this point.
  • subpop
    LIGUE 1 - DAY 30

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE v DIJON FCO

JRoJwpr.png

spWNA5J.png
  • WestardLord
    1337 posts Professional
    Vital 3 points and OM are back in the top 3! Good to have a decent win after so many draws. Also, fantastic goal by Palacios, and he has so much potential.
  • subpop
    Vital 3 points and OM are back in the top 3! Good to have a decent win after so many draws. Also, fantastic goal by Palacios, and he has so much potential.

Yes. It was important to get a win after so many bad results aa things are getting tight for the 3rd position.

Palacios is an interesting addition. I think he can give us a lot soon. His goal was a bit lucky, but decisive too.
  • subpop
    LIGUE 1 - DAY 31

FC NANTES v OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE

rX6lLbz.png

FpKdsuP.png

• subpop

Hq7Irb9.png
  • Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    Right after a great win it looked like the club was going to put a run together but then the draw ruined it. Still sitting in 3rd place though but now I do not see out possible to catch the top two teams. Keeping the position should be the main objective now.

Moussa Dembele is one of those players with loads of potential but does not always perform. Glad to see he is this season.
  • subpop
    Right after a great win it looked like the club was going to put a run together but then the draw ruined it. Still sitting in 3rd place though but now I do not see out possible to catch the top two teams. Keeping the position should be the main objective now.

Moussa Dembele is one of those players with loads of potential but does not always perform. Glad to see he is this season.

Ligue 1 is out of reach... not just mathematically (something that will happen soon), but mainly because the team is too irregular for it.

Not many games left and I think we'll be fighting for the 3rd spot until the end.
  • subpop
    edited January 7
    LIGUE 1 - DAY 32

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE  v  LOSC LILLE

XOW0yA1.png

bh3Pyh7.png
    Post edited by subpop on
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 7
    So, it's

[3] Marseille 54
    [4] Lille 54
    [5] Montpellier 52
    [6] Saint-Etiènne 50
    [7] Nice 49
    [8] Monaco 47
    [9] Toulouse 47

All hands on deck, bro. Who's in de final for Coupe de France?
    That might be of influence whether you'll make European football, or not....
  • subpop
    So, it's

[3] Marseille 54
    [4] Lille 54
    [5] Montpellier 52
    [6] Saint-Etiènne 50
    [7] Nice 49
    [8] Monaco 47
    [9] Toulouse 47

All hands on deck, bro. Who's in de final for Coupe de France?
    That might be of influence whether you'll make European football, or not....

Yes. I've already fixed the error in the league table.

Ok, this is the situation at this point:

UCL direct spots: Lyon and PSG
    UCL qualifyers: 3rd , for now OM thanks to goal differencial.
    UEL direct spots: 4th, for now, Lille and Coupe de France winner (the semis are Saint-Étienne v PSG and Monaco v Lyon).
    UEL qualifyers: Winner of the Coupe de la Ligue (Final: Caen v Dijon).

Basically, one of the UEL spots will be for Caen and Dijon. The other one depends on the semifinals of the Coupe de France. So, as you well said, the results in the Coupe de France will make the difference.

However, in the contract Koldo Okariz signed, these were the conditions:

2 year contract
    Main objective: Champions League spot.
    Secondary objectives: "Good run" in the Cups. I think we did awful in the domestic Cups, going out in the Round of 16 in both tournaments. Much better in the UEL as we reached the QFs and still can progress.

So Koldo assumes that, unless we reach the UCL spot, the future can be dark, even if there's one year of contract left.

• subpop
    * Sorry guys, I lost the videos

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE

QUARTER-FINALS - FIRST LEG

kNZFYBJ.png

F2sEyxD.png
  • Danimal5981
    That's a pleasant surprise I must say and the second time in a row that you kept a null against a European opponent. And slowly, it is becoming an impressive list: surviving a group with Benfica, eliminating Sporting, Crystal Palace, now equal to Liverpool.

That's actually what I like about your stories; you're always close to something big (Villarreal, Inter, Sociedad, now Marseille), but always seem to miss that final push. But one day, it's going to happen; maybe it's this season's Europa League, who knows...
  • subpop
    That's a pleasant surprise I must say and the second time in a row that you kept a null against a European opponent. And slowly, it is becoming an impressive list: surviving a group with Benfica, eliminating Sporting, Crystal Palace, now equal to Liverpool.

That's actually what I like about your stories; you're always close to something big (Villarreal, Inter, Sociedad, now Marseille), but always seem to miss that final push. But one day, it's going to happen; maybe it's this season's Europa League, who knows...

It is a good result, but tricky as you know. I feared this game, because they have a much superior level and we struggled against top teams. However we were able to take the game far from our box. On the other hand we didn't create many chances. Probably the ticket to the semis requires that we score first and repeat the same defensive performance. They press very well, very agressive, so it is fundamental not to make errors.

About my history in the game... well, I have never won anything, but a Copa I think. It is fun, because it keeps me willing to improve and find the key I have never found. It is true that I push my own limits ( which aren't high anyway), but it would be amazing winning something for a change. I wish this is the moment.
  • subpop
    edited January 8
    LIGUE 1 - DAY 33

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE v AS SAINT-ÉTIENNE

SAjMrL3.png

jZT9d5n.png
  • Danimal5981
    I'd argue that Nice and Saint-Etiènne are also still in it.

What's the schedule for the league's #3 - #7 in the final five rounds?
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Brilliant draw with Liverpool away from home on a European night Anfield is a fierce place but Marseille coped with it perfectly. The last five games in the league will be interesting with how close it is wouldn't be surprised if GD decided the top three
  • subpop
    I'd argue that Nice and Saint-Etiènne are also still in it.

What's the schedule for the league's #3 - #7 in the final five rounds?

You never know... 4 points aren't too much, but they have to be very consistent and wait for lots of errors. However, it's true that, if they win everything, they can still fight to enter in the top 4.

I'll post the remaining games now.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Brilliant draw with Liverpool away from home on a European night Anfield is a fierce place but Marseille coped with it perfectly. The last five games in the league will be interesting with how close it is wouldn't be surprised if GD decided the top three

Yes... GD can make the difference and we're not the best in that aspect. We also have direct clashes with Nice and PSG in the horizon, so it's not going to be easy.
  • subpop
    KJNDi6i.png
  • subpop
    UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE

QUARTER-FINALS - 2nd LEG

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE v LIVERPOOL FC

d9uDjyn.png

RUTZCkk.png