Fabio Cannavaro: October Results

JoshDFC
1941 posts Play-Off Hero
edited April 16
maxresdefault.jpg

Name: Fabio Cannavaro
Date of Birth: 13th September 1973
Place of Birth: Naples, Italy

Fabio Cannavaro is a former World Cup winning Balon D'or winning centre back who played for clubs such as Napoli, Parma, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid before retiring with Al Ahli. He moved into management in 2014 taking over for his first spell as Guangzhou Evergrande manager he was replaced by Luiz Felipe Scorlari despite Evergrande being in a strong position. His next job saw him move to Al-Nassr but he decided to rescind his contract with them on 11 February 2016. His next job saw him move to Tianjin Quanjin on the 9th June 2016, Tianjin Quanjin were on a run of 7 games without a win at the time Tianjin were 8th in the table on 22nd October 2016 Fabio guided Tianjin to the Chine League One title winning them promotion to the Chinese Super league. In Tianjin's debut season in the Super league Fabio guided them to a third place finish and advanced to the 2018 AFC Champions League Qualifiers. Fabio Cannavaro won the Chinese FA's coach of the year for his efforts with Tianjin and has now signed for Guangzhou Evergrande for the upcoming season

Honours

Player:

Club:

Parma:

UEFA Cup 1998-99

Coppa Italia (2) 1998-99, 2001-02

Supercoppa Italiano 1999

Real Madrid:

La Liga (2) 2006-07, 2007-08

International:

UEFA European Under-21 Championship (2) 1994, 1996

FIFA World Cup 2006

Individual:

UEFA Under-21 Championship Golden Player 1996

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament 2000

FICTS Hall of Fame and Excellence Guirlande d'Honneur 2002

FIFA World Player of the Year 2006

Ballon d'or 2006

2006 FIFA World Cup - Silver Ball

2006 FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament

World Soccer (magazine) Player of the Year 2006

Serie A Player of the Year 2006

Serie A Italian Player of the Year 2006

Serie A Defender of the Year (2) 2005, 2006

UEFA Team of the Year 2006

ESM Team of the Year 2004-05

FIFpro World XI (2) 2006, 2007

Sports Illustrated Team of the Decade 2009

Gran Gala del Calcio AIC Lifetime Achievement Award 2011

Italian Football Hall of Fame 2014

Juventus Greatest Eleven of all Time 2017

Manager

Club

Tianjin Quanjin

China League One 2016

Individual

Chinese Football Association Coach of the Year 2018
Post edited by JoshDFC on

Comments

• JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018
    Guangzhou Evergrande

200px-GuangzhouEvergrandeTaobao_FC_2015.png

Guangzhou Evergrande are a Chinese Super League side who were originally formed in June 1954 as a Semi-Professional side but have been professional since January 1993. The team is based in Guangzhou, Guangdong and play their home games at Tianhe Stadium which has a capacity of 58,500 although their average attendance is only 45,589.

Guangzhou Evergrande have won the Chinese Super League for the past seven season's but are expected to be challenged this season by Shanghai SIPG who have former Brazil international Oscar and Hulk and former Guangzhou favorite Elkeson in their ranks and have recently appointed Vitor Pereira who enjoyed fruitful spells at FC Porto and Olimpiacos winning the Portuguese league twice and the Greek league.

Guangzhou Evergrande have also won the Asian Champions League twice but haven't won the competition since 2015 underachieving in the last two seasons.
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018
    4JjTO7A.jpg
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    You can now post :)
  • subpop
    3306 posts National Call-Up
    A nice change... a Chinese league story!! It's going to be interesting to follow this.

Why Cannavaro? Just curious.
  • Danimal5981
    2002 posts Fans' Favourite
    subpop wrote: »

Because he actually is the manager there?

• subpop
    edited September 2018

:|

Ok... :D

Still... knowing Josh's stories, I guess that his intention is not to do a story about Guangzhou, but a story about Cannavaro.
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero

:|

Ok... :D

Still... knowing Josh's stories, I guess that his intention is not to do a story about Guangzhou, but a story about Cannavaro.

My intention was to do a story about Fabio Cannavaro even before the Chinese League was announced. The fact it is in the game means I can use a new league to get the story started and see where it takes me :)
  • Wyojasond
    9425 posts League Winner
    Nice! Was hoping somebody would do a Chinese League story this year B) good luck man
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    As others have said, it's exciting to see a Chinese league story. Something different and based on your previous stories, this one will be just as entertaining.
  • Ashy
    8407 posts League Winner
    Been waiting for a Chinese league story so I'm glad someone has setup one, especially you! Didn't know Cannavaro was managing there so that's news to me, good luck!
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice! Was hoping somebody would do a Chinese League story this year B) good luck man

Cheers lets find out a little bit more about the Chinese super league :)
    Stlducks wrote: »
    As others have said, it's exciting to see a Chinese league story. Something different and based on your previous stories, this one will be just as entertaining.

Thanks I'm keen to learn abit about the league nd how the Asian champions League works so will be interesting :)
    Ashy wrote: »
    Been waiting for a Chinese league story so I'm glad someone has setup one, especially you! Didn't know Cannavaro was managing there so that's news to me, good luck!

Yeah I was keen to see about the Chinese Super League and do a story about Fabio Cannavaro which opens up options later in the story ;)
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018
    JwevapX.png

Guangzhou Evergrande will be taking part in the South Korean Invitational Pre Season tournament ahead of the new season. Guangzhou have been drawn in a group featuring Gyeongnam FC, Shimizu S-Pulse and Jeonnam Dragons. All the teams competing in the Tournament are from Asia and Fabio believes it will be good to gain experience against some of Asia’s toughest teams.

Fabio Cannavaro “I’m excited to be leading the team into this tough pre season schedule which will see us compete against some of the toughest teams in Asia. We are keen to see where were at when it comes to playing against the best teams on the continent and what are chances are ahead of the Asian Champions League this season. Don’t get me wrong we won’t read into the results to much it will just be a good starting point to see what we need to work on this coming season.”

Guangzhou will kick off the Tournament in the opening game against Gyeongnam FC at the Changwon Football Center on Wednesday night.
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    EY4AXqa.png

Team Line Ups:

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng, Deng Hanwen, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Li Xupeng, Zheng Zi, Huang Bowen, Yu Hanchao, Talisca, Carvalho, Goulart

Gyeongnam FC (4-4-2): Lee Joon Hee, Woo Ju Sung, Kim Hyun Hun, Park Ji Soo, Lee Jae Myung, Kunimoto, Ahn Seong Nam, Lee Kwang Jin, Jo Young Cheol, Marcao, Kim Hyo Gi

8OLoqtz.png

Team Line Ups:

Jeonnam Dragons (3-4-3): Park Dae Han, Lee Kyung Ryul, Yang Jun A, Ka Sol Heon, Lee You, Hyeon, Han Chan Hee, Kim Seon Woo, Heo Yong Joon, Choi Jae Hyeon, Yoon Dong Min, Wanderson

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng, Deng Hanwen, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Li Xuepeng, Huang Bowen, Liao Lisheng, Yu Hanchao, Talisca, Carvalho, Gao Lin

25t5KCy.png

Team Line Ups:
    Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng, Deng Hanwen, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Li Xuepeng, Zheng Zi, Huang Bowen, Yu Hanchao, Talisca, Carvalho, Goulart

Shimizu S-Pulse (4-4-2): Uekusa, Tatsuta, Kakuda, Futami, Matsubara, Kaneko, Musaka, Masuda, Ishige, Takahashi, Hasegawa

93d1Sbm.png
  • Stlducks
    1175 posts Professional
    Great run of games to start preseason undefeated. The 4231 looks to be working in attack as well as in defense with the two clean sheets. It is funny to see the season starting in January and only playing the first half of the month?
  • subpop
    Strong since the very beginning. The team seems to be ready for the challenge.

One question: Wasn't Paulinho back at Guangzhou? Isn't the team updated?
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Great run of games to start preseason undefeated. The 4231 looks to be working in attack as well as in defense with the two clean sheets. It is funny to see the season starting in January and only playing the first half of the month?

he 4-2-3-1 is one of my favourite formations and is the formation that Guangzhou use although I will be using different methods towards the end of Pre Season.... Strange starting in January as it is two months until the season starts in March but that's due to Asian Champions League games in Feb
    Strong since the very beginning. The team seems to be ready for the challenge.

One question: Wasn't Paulinho back at Guangzhou? Isn't the team updated?

Yes Paulinho is in the team but I'm not planning on using him until July when he joined Guangzhou in real life as I have the transfer window closed. Didn't realise that Anderson Talisca joined in June thought he'd been there longer but he's been involved now so it's to late :lol:
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    0evNs2i.png

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-3-2-1): Zeng Cheng, Deng Hanwen, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Li Xuepeng, Yu Hanchao, Huang Bowen, Carvalho, Talisca, Goulart, Gao Lin

Gangwon FC (4-2-3-1): Kim Ho Jun, Oh Beom Seok, Kim Oh Gyu, Sielis, Jung Seung Yong, Han Kook Young, McGowan, Lim Chan Wool, Jung Seok Hwa, Diego Mauricio, Deric

VflICzE.png

Ettifaq FC (4-2-3-1): M’Bolhi, Al Sunain, Arias, Al Khaibari, El Sayed, Al Khalef, Kiss, Al Kuwaykibi, Aleman, Guanca, Al Hazaa

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng, Deng Hanwen, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Li Xuepeng, Zheng Zhi, Liao Lisheng, Yu Hanchao, Goulart, Carvalho, Gao Lin

• JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018
    Asian-Champions-League-2015.jpg

The draw for this season's AFC Champions League has taken place today. Guangzhou have been drawn in a group of death containing Kawasaki-Frontale who won the Japanese J League last season, Al Hilal who won the Saudi Professional League and Jeju United who finished as runners up in the K League last season.

Guangzhou will start their campaign with a home game against Al Hilal on the 13th February before travelling to face Jeju United a week later. They then have a two week break before facing Kawasaki-Frontale at home on the 7th March, 6 days later they travel to Al Hilal before travelling to Kawasaki-Frontale on the 4th April. The grou[ stage wraps up with a home game against Jeju United on 18th April. The full draw for the Asian Champions League can be seen below

OmIqXxY.png
  • Danimal5981
    That seems like a tough group. But you miss out on Suwon, Jeonbuk, Sydney, Al Ahli and Al Nassr who also can field strong teams.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Great to see a chinese story here. I'm also thought about doing one for myself..
    The fact that Cannavaro is the manager at Gunagzhou just fits in perfectly.
    Now the team is off to a fantastic start in the preseason. All parts of the team seem to fit together well right away.
    I don't have any knowledge about the teams, neither chinese league nor the AFC CL teams :D So willing to learn a lot here. But seems like a really tough group though. Damn I have to avoid all the names in my responses. Would took ages to learn the spelling etc :D
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    That seems like a tough group. But you miss out on Suwon, Jeonbuk, Sydney, Al Ahli and Al Nassr who also can field strong teams.

It's not an easy group but I think we are good enough to qualify with two league winners and a runner up it is going to be really difficult
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Great to see a chinese story here. I'm also thought about doing one for myself..
    The fact that Cannavaro is the manager at Gunagzhou just fits in perfectly.
    Now the team is off to a fantastic start in the preseason. All parts of the team seem to fit together well right away.
    I don't have any knowledge about the teams, neither chinese league nor the AFC CL teams :D So willing to learn a lot here. But seems like a really tough group though. Damn I have to avoid all the names in my responses. Would took ages to learn the spelling etc :D

The team have some great talents Talisca has been very impressive in pre season, Was expecting a little bit more from Alan Carvalho he hasn't been brilliant so far but its only early days
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    UzklurZ.png
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    idUGktr.png

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 7, Deng Hanwen 9, Feng Xiaoting 8, Zhang Linpeng 8, Li Xuepeng 7, Zheng Zhi 7 (Liao Lisheng 6, 75), Huang Bowen 7, Yu Hanchao 7, Talisca 9 (Gao Lin 6, 75), Carvalho 9 (Zhang Wenzhao N/A, 82), Goulart 9

Al Hilal (4-2-3-1): Al Habsi 6, Al Buraik 7 (Al Bulayhi N/A, 89), Jahfali 7, Botia 7, Al Shahrani 7, Al Khaibari 7 (Al Faraj 6, 59), Ateef 7, Carrillo 8, Abdulrahman 6 (Carlos Eduardo 6, 75), Al Abed 8, Gomis 9

Guangzhou Evergrande got their AFC Champions League campaign off to a great start by beating Saudi champions Al Hilal 4-1 at home on the opening fixture. Anderson Talisca’s stunning freekick from 30 yards gave Cannavaro’s side the lead against the run of play with 12 minutes gone but eight minutes later Al Hilal were level when Gomis cut the ball across the six yard box to Al Abed who slotted the ball into the corner. Guangzhou retook the lead 10 minutes before half time Goucart’s fantastic through ball setting Anderson Talisca away and he fired low past Al Habsi for his second of the game. Guangzhou wrapped the game up with 14 minutes left when Al Hila failed to properly clear Huang Bowen’s cross the ball falling to Alan Carvalho who took a touch before firing past the helpless Al Habsi, many thought however Al Habsi should have done better with Guangzhou’s next goal when Deng Hanwen’s cross was met by Goulart his header going past Al Habsi at his near post. Their was time for a consolation goal for Al Hilal some nice feet by Carrillo before he fed it through to Gomis who fired into the top corner.

Fabio Cannavaro “I’m very happy with today’s result and performance, it was a very difficult game to start the season but I thought we played fantastic and fully deserved to win the game. We knew it would be a difficult game because Al Hilal won their league last season but we scored some fantastic goals and played really well as a team. I think we should be really pleased with our first game and we can now concentrate on next weeks game with Jeju United.”

bugR6I8.png

Jeju United (3-4-1-2): Lee Chang Geun 5, Jovanovic 7, Kim Won Il 6, Oh Ban Suk 6, Park Jin Po 6, Kwon Soon Hyung 6, Lee Chan Dong 6 (Kim Sung Ju 6, 58), Kim Ho Nam 5, Lee Chang Min 6, Roberson 6 (Jin Seong Wook 6, 58), Magno 6

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 6, Deng Hanwen 7, Feng Xiaoting 7, Zhang Linpeng 7, Li Xuepeng 8, Liao Lisheng 7, Huang Bowen 7, Yu Hanchao 8, Talisca 7, Carvalho 7 (Zheng Long 6, 69), Goulart 8 (Gao Lin 8, 69)

Guangzhou Evergrande made just one change to the team from the one that beat Al Hilal last time out with Zheng Zhi dropping to the bench in place of Liao Lisheng for their 3-0 away win at Jeju United. Guangzhou took the lead after 34 minutes when Carvalho got on the end of Talisca’s corner his header cannoning back off the post and hitting the diving Lee Chang Geun on his back before going over the line. Guangzhou doubled their lead after 64 minutes some good work in midfield by Talisca who then found Goulart his turn bought him a yard and allowed him to fire a hard low shot into the corner giving the keeper no chance. Guangzhou Evergrande wrapped the game up with ten minutes left Yu Hanchao cutting back onto his left and crossing the ball which was met by Gao Lin who headed the ball into the top corner again giving Lee Chang Geun no chance. The win see’s Guangzhou top of their Asian Champions League group with 2 wins out of 2 scoring an impressive 7 goals while conceding just 2 in the process.

Fabio Cannavaro “We have stared the season in the perfect way, two wins out of two in the group of death puts us in a strong position moving forward. To keep a clean sheet away from home against top opposition shows how good we are as a team and we scored three well worked goals to collect the points. We now have ten days to rest and prepare for the new league to start.”

• JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    IpL1uI5.png
  • Danimal5981
    Good start. What level do you play?
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good start. What level do you play?

I play on World Class the team are winning I am thinking of going up a level but the games are even I just think the team are clinical at the moment we will see next month
  • Ashy
    8407 posts League Winner
    Strong pre-season and I don't know much about these teams in the Asian Champions League but so far you seem to be scoring loads and beating the first two teams is a strong start to the cup, very good. I'm still surprised Talisca went there, he's a quality player
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ashy wrote: »
    Strong pre-season and I don't know much about these teams in the Asian Champions League but so far you seem to be scoring loads and beating the first two teams is a strong start to the cup, very good. I'm still surprised Talisca went there, he's a quality player

Yeah he has had a massive impact on the team we look a lot stronger when he is playing
  • JoshDFC
    1941 posts Play-Off Hero
    VEA8Xgm.png

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 7, Deng Hanwen 7, Feng Xaioting 7, Zhang Linpeng 6, Li Xuepeng 7, Zheng Zhi 7 (Liao Lisheng 6, 70), Huang Bowen 8, Yu Hanchao 6 (Gao Lin 6, 70), Talisca 7 Zhang Wenzhao N/A, 87), Carvalho 8, Goulart 7

Shandong Luneng (4-4-2): Wang Dalei 7, Wang Tong 7, Dai Lin 7, Gil 8, Zheng Zheng 7, Guedes 6, Li Wei 6 (Hao Junmin 6, 70), Zhou Haibin 7, Wu Xinghan 7 (Jin Jingdao N/A, 87), Tardelli 7, Pelle 6

Guangzhou Evergrande made one change to their team for the opening league game of the new Chinese Super League with Zheng Zhi returning in place of Liao Lisheng. The best chances of the game fell to the visitors first Diego Tardelli fired just over after getting on the end of Wu Xinghan’s cross from the left before the best chance fell to We Xinghan just after half time when Tardelli’s cross to the far post was met by the Chinese international unmarked but he fired miles over with the goal at his mercy. In the end it ended a goalless draw although Shandong missed some opportunities they will surely be the happier team holding the defending champions to a draw away on the opening day.

Fabio Cannavaro “It’s obviously not the opening day we wanted, at home you always try to win but when you look at the positives we kept a clean sheet against a good side and we are still unbeaten. I think they defended very well and it was very difficult for us to create clear cut chances, we didn’t press as much as I’d have liked but we are still learning about each other I think this is a result that we can build on.”

de0isW2.png

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 7, Deng Hanwen 7, Feng Xiaoting 7, Zhang Linpeng 7, Li Xuepeng 7, Zheng Zhi 7 (Liao Lisheng 6, 67), Huang Bowen 7, Yu Hanchao 7, Talisca 7 (Goulart 8, 67), Carvalho 9 (Zhng Wenzhao N/A, 82), Gao Lin 8

Kawasaki-Frontale (4-2-3-1): Jung Sung Ryong 6, Tasaka 6, Eduardo 6, Taniguchi 6, Kurumaya 7, Morita 7, Moriya 6 (Akasaki N/A, 86), Suzuki 6 (Hasegawa 7, 67), Nakamura 7 (Abe 7, 67), Saito 8, Ienega 6

Guangzhou Evergrande shockingly dropped Brazil striker Ricardo Goulart to the bench in favour of Chinese striker Gao Lin ahead of their game with Kawasaki-Frontale. The move paid off however because after just 8 minutes Gao Lin’s through ball put Brazil winger Alan Carvalho in and he slotted the ball past the keeper. It was a game that Kawasaki-Frontale seemed to be dominating but just couldn’t get their breakthrough with Ienega played through one on one and shooting wide aswell as missing a massive chance from Saito’s cross from just six yards out. However it was the home team that scored the second Ricardo Goulart off the bench to replace Talisca and he fired a low shot through the legs of the defender and into the bottom corner, there was time for Kawasaki to grab a consolation through Abe but it wasn’t enough and Guangzhou Evergrande held on for three valuable points at the top of group A.

Fabio Cannavaro “I am happy with todays victory, today we faced a very difficult opponent who caused us a lot of problems but we held our own and we were clinical in front of goal. Ricardo (Goulart) did fantastic just behind Gao Lin and it shows we have different options on how to play, we will see in the next days how we want to use him but today he was impressive when he came on.”

ZM8OgTe.png

Tianjin Teda (4-3-3): Yang Qipeng 6, Tan Wangsong 7, Qiu Tianyi 7, Bastians 6, Zhao Honglue 7, Cao Yang 7, Mirahmetjan 6, Guo Hao 6 (Zhou Qiming 8, 45), Zhang Chiming 8, Acheampong 9, Hui Jiakang 6 (Li Yuanyi 6, 55)

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 6, Deng Hanwen 7, Feng Xiaoting 6, Zhang Linpeng 7, Li Xuepeng 7, Talisca 7, Huang Bowen 7, Yu Hanchao 6 (Liao Lisheng 8, 55), Goulart 8, Carvalho 8, Gao Lin 6

Tianjin Teda inflicted Fabio Cannavaro’s first defeat since taking over as Guangzhou Evergrande manager thanks to a brace from Frank Acheampong. Guangzhou made one change again from the side that won 2-0 against Kawasaki-Frontale with Gao Lin in to replace Zhang Zhi with Talisca playing in a deeper role that he seemed to struggle in. Tianjin created the best chances in the with Hui Jiakang missing an absolute sitter after great work from Acheampong. I was Tianjin Teda who took the lead Zhang Chiming’s cross from the right was met by the head of the striker who beat Zeng Cheng at his near post. Guangzhou responded however and just three minutes later they were level after great work by Liao Lisheng in midfield he fed the ball through to Goulart who finished well into the top corner. Both sides went for the win and it was Tianjin who prevailed after a quick counter that saw Zhou Qiming play Acheampong through on goal and he made no mistake slotting past Zeng Cheng.

Fabio Cannavaro “It was a disappointing result, it is true we haven’t started our league campaign in brilliant fashion but we are confident the results will come together. We tried hard to win today and we were unlucky that we were countered at the end and they scored from it but I am happy with the character of my players we will try and put things right because one point from six isn’t enough.”

hvhfzDe.png

Al Hilal (4-2-3-1): Al Habsi 7, Al Buraik 7, Jahfali 7, Botia 7, Al Shahrani 8, Al Khaibari 7 (Al Faraj 7, 57), Ateef 7, Carrillo 8, Abdulrahman 7 (Carlos Eduardo N/A, 85), Al Abed 8, Gomis 9

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 5, Deng Hanwen 7, Feng Xiaoting 7, Zhang Linpeng 6, Zou Zheng 6, Zheng Zhi 6 (Mei Fang 7, 45), Liao Lisheng 7, Yu Hanchao 6, Goulart 6, Carvalho 7, Gao Lin 6

Guangzhou Evergrande made three changes to their team for their 3-0 defeat away to Al Hilal with Huang Bowen, Talisca and Li Xuepeng all picking up slight knocks and not being risked. For the most part it was an even game but Guangzhou Evergrande had a five minute spell where they conceded two goals in quick succession with Al Abed getting on the end of Carrillo’s cross to head past Zeng Cheng before Gomis found Carrillo in the box his initial shot was well saved but the ball bounced back to Carrillo who fired home at the second attempt. Al Hilal added a cherry to the cake with two minutes left when Gomis broke through the Guangzhou defence and squared the ball to Carlos Eduardo with Zeng Cheng helpless and Carlos Eduardo made no mistake. It makes it back to back defeats for Cannavaro’s side although they are still in a vert strong position in qualifying for the next round.

Fabio Cannavaro “It was obviously a disappointing performance by the lads but we will work hard to try and put the results right we have been brilliant in Europe before tonight it is just a case of dusting ourselves down. We know our quality, we’re not worried about the start we have made because it is a marathon not a sprint we must remain calm and the results will start to come in and we will show our true quality.”

yB2oC4a.png

Guangzhou Evergrande (4-2-3-1): Zeng Cheng 7, Deng Hanwen 8, Feng Xiaoting 7, Zhang Linpeng 8, Li Xuepeng 7, Zheng Zhi 6 (Liao Lisheng 6, 45), Huang Bowen 7, Yu Hanchao 6, Talisca 9, Carvalho 9 Zhang Wenzhao 6, 73), Gao Lin 9

Beijing Rehne (4-2-3-1): Zhang Lie 6, Wang Gang 6 (Ependi 6, 60), Wan Houliang 6, Liu Jian 6, Rao Weihui 6 (Luo Xin N/A, 79), Sun Weizhe 6 (Chen Jie 6, 54), Fernandez 6, Feng Renliang 6, Diop 6, Masika 6, Moukandjo 6

Guangzhou Evergrande made three changes to the team that lost to Al Hilal for their first league win of the season. Goulart missed out through injury after pulling his calf against Al Hilal whilst Li Xuepeng, Huang Bowen and Anderson Talisca all returned after picking up slight knocks before the Al Hilal game. Guangzhou Evergrande controlled a majority of the play and took the lead after just 13 minutes Alan Carvalho’s shot was well saved by Zhang Lie but Talisca was on hand to score from a tight angle. Four minutes later and Guangzhou doubled their lead Talisca’s ball from the right finding Alan Carvalho with time he took a touch before slotting the ball into the net. Guangzhou Evergrande got their third with seventeen minutes to go a nice ball over the top by Gao Lin found Talisca who gave Zhang Lie no chance with his half volley. Guangzhou pick up their first league win under Fabio Cannavaro can the defending champions finally turn their fortunes around?

Fabio Cannavaro “I am happy for the players, they deserved this win because of hard they have worked this week. You could see how angry they were at losing twice and they wanted to make sure we bounced back and started to win some games. It is early in the season we have only played three league games but people are already trying to criticise us, but we just concentrate on our game and make sure we prove all our doubters wrong come the end of the season.”
  • Wyojasond
    9425 posts League Winner
    Couple of tough losses sandwiched in there. Team rebounded nicely though.