Fabio Cannavaro: January Results

Comments

  • DB1512
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    Quality signing with Bruno and good results in the PL and EL. Maybe you can even battle for the league title with Bruno coming in in January.
  • Ashy
    9739 posts League Winner
    Man.. what a close title race with the top 4 right now good to see that. Arsenal look like they have a strong squad all these years later and under Cannavaro I can see them being a proper UCL team very soon. Bruno for 82m is a massive amount, assuming that is the club record signing too. What rating is he btw?
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    In general good results. Fixtures are so tight in England that errors from time to time are quite normal. The team are in the race for the title and didn't have any problem to advance in the Europa League.

    Belotti has definitely made everyone forget Aubameyang very soon. Great goal record.

    The only bad news is the poor defensive record. Arsenal receive too many goals.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    I like Bruno, probably a worthy replacement for Ozil.

    Annoying series of draws here, but not bad results in the current standings. The team can still continue to make inroads into the top 2.

    Being two goals down twice and bouncing back to draw gives us a massive lift especially the Liverpool draw as they destroyed us in the first half
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Quality signing with Bruno and good results in the PL and EL. Maybe you can even battle for the league title with Bruno coming in in January.

    He could make a difference but I feel the weakness at the back is holding us back
    Ashy wrote: »
    Man.. what a close title race with the top 4 right now good to see that. Arsenal look like they have a strong squad all these years later and under Cannavaro I can see them being a proper UCL team very soon. Bruno for 82m is a massive amount, assuming that is the club record signing too. What rating is he btw?

    He is the record transfer with that heft fee although we are still in the profit for the season due to the outgoings in the summer thats the only reason this deal could happen. He is rated 87
    subpop wrote: »
    In general good results. Fixtures are so tight in England that errors from time to time are quite normal. The team are in the race for the title and didn't have any problem to advance in the Europa League.

    Belotti has definitely made everyone forget Aubameyang very soon. Great goal record.

    The only bad news is the poor defensive record. Arsenal receive too many goals.

    I feel although we are up there we still have a lot of tough games to go and are defensive vulnerabilities will hold us back in the long run
  • LAboog4
    651 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It is hard to get a read on this team. Looking great one match then coming away with a draw in the next. I think Bruno will be a great addition, he better be with the money spent on him.

    Europa leagur is going about as expected. I really think this Arsenal side can win the UEL cup.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    It is hard to get a read on this team. Looking great one match then coming away with a draw in the next. I think Bruno will be a great addition, he better be with the money spent on him.

    Europa leagur is going about as expected. I really think this Arsenal side can win the UEL cup.

    I feel it is a trophy where we may have our best chance at winning along with the Carabao cup
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    t5Hauxg.png

    HRax7Je.png
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    1CI84Sm.jpg

    Sky Sources understand that Bayern Munchen have made Arsenal striker their priority target this January transfer window and have made contact with the English club about signing the Spanish international striker. The twenty six year old striker has scored seventeen goals this season in twenty six appearances and is open to the move after losing his place in the starting line up to Italian striker Andrea Belotti. Bayern have tabled a bid in the region of £70,000,000 but Arsenal want closer to the £100,000,000 mark if they are to lose Williams.
  • DB1512
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    Not a bad draw for the next EL round, I think you should be able to beat them and go to the last sixteen. I think you should try to keep Williams and try to play Williams and Belotti together.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Not a bad draw for the next EL round, I think you should be able to beat them and go to the last sixteen. I think you should try to keep Williams and try to play Williams and Belotti together.

    It is difficult to get them both in the same team unless I play Inaki out wide but he doesn't have as much as an impact when played there. Shock that Juventus were eliminated from that poor group
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    KMupXnG.png

    MK Dons (5-3-2): Nicholls, Brittain (Youssouf, 85), Cargill, Moore-Taylor, Walsh, Hancox, Houghton, Traore, McGrandles (Cisse, 52), Sow (Agard, 77), Aneke
    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Lichtsteiner, Koscielny, Holding, Kolarov, Xhaka, Bielik (Tonali, 75), Lodeiro (Fernandes, 45), Sessegnon, Williams, Bramall (Belotti, 75)

    Q: Paul what a performance from your side you very nearly caused a massive upset how are you feeling?
    Tisdale: My feelings are a bit mixed if I’m being honest we were so close to the upset but we have to be proud because nobody would have given us a chance heading into the game especially when you look at the team they played because it was a very strong line up they had but we matched them. We obviously have the replay now at the Emirates which before the game I would have taken but we know it will be difficult especially at their place but if we perform like we did today who knows we might cause an upset.

    Q: Fabio a very tough game today. How much did the transfer speculation regarding Inaki Williams and the transfers of Elneny and Zelalem affect the team?
    Cannavaro: I am not going to make an excuse because this isn’t fair on the fantastic performance that MK Dons put in today. They dominated and they deserved to win the match, It isn’t ideal when you are negotiating the sales of players but I think Inaki was very professional today he hit the post and scored a fantastic goal so he should be happy. It wasn’t an easy decision to make to start him with all that’s going on but we were confident he would put in a solid performance which is exactly what he did.

    5bG3nKx.jpg

    FC Bayern Munchen have announced the signing of Arsenal striker Inaki Williams for £97,500,000 and have also allowed young Canadian striker Jonathan David to join the Gunners on loan for the rest of the season.. Inaki was Arsenal’s top scorer this season but was frustrated as he was still second choice striker to Italian hit man Andrea Belotti who has two goals less then the Spaniard in all competitions. Young striker Jonathan David was already behind Sergio Aguero and Robert Lewandowski in the pecking order at Bayern and the arrival of Inaki meant the striker would have been fourth choice but Bayern made the decision to use the youngster to help push the deal across the line this month. Fabio had this to say on the move

    Cannvaro “We are very disappointed to have lost Inaki because he has been a very important player for us this season but the offer that Bayern made was very good and he had made it clear his ambitions were to play in the Champions League this season and to move to Bayern and try his luck in Germany. I think he has had a superb season and I hold no grudges he has been professional ever since Bayern’s interest became apparent. We are happy to add Jonathan to replace Inaki for the short term he is a fantastic young player obviously we will be looking to add a striker in the summer but we are close to a deal for a midfielder which hopefully we can conclude soon but we won’t be moving for anybody else once that deal is done.”

    c9KjkD5.png

    Fulham (4-3-3): Fabricio, Sakai, Mawson (Le Marchand, 64), Pedro Henrique, Angelino, Pulgar, Cairney (Zambo Anguissa, 58), Seri, De Paul (Gervinho, 45), Philipp, Sisto
    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Marcelo, Tonali (Xhaka, 77), Torreira, Fernandes (Lodeiro, 77), Nelson, Belotti, Sessegnon

    Q: Claudio a disappointing loss in the first leg. Are you still confident that your team can progress to the final at Wembley despite this loss?
    Ranieri: Of course, it wasn’t the perfect first leg for us because we lost because of a penalty but it showed we can contain them because they didn’t score in open play. I thought we were a little bit sloppy today in the middle of the park and that’s what cost us we were to negative we didn’t really threaten them because when you threaten them they make mistakes and that’s what we have to do in the second leg get in their faces and make the game ugly for them.

    Q: Fabio a 1-0 win away from home in the first leg. A first start for Bruno Fernandes what did you make of his performance?
    Cannavaro: He was brilliant considering this was his first start he showed his vision he forced the keeper into a good save and he kept things ticking over. He is a player I admire a lot and you can see how much of a difference he made because we kept the ball in my opinion better then we have all season it is early days for him he still has to get used to the pace in this league but I feel he will be a great addition given time. I think this result is massive because now Fulham must come to the Emirates and try and beat us which should hopefully open up the doors for more chances.

    6etLnXW.png

    Q: Fabio the third home league game in a row where you have been 2-0 down at half time. How frustrating is it that your giving so many goals away?
    Cannavaro: It is true that we are struggling to keep goals out but today I think the first goal of Chelsea is a fantastic piece if build up play the second maybe we should defend better but the first was a nice goal. I think we had our moments we almost scored with the last kick of the game and we hit the bar when it was 0-0 so it wasn’t a one sided game they just had the luck on their side and they scored twice and it was enough for them today.

    Q: Maurizio a very efficient performance from your side today. That win closes the gap on the top four to ten points, do you still feel you can make the top four this season?
    Sarri: Of course we can, ten points isn’t a lot but we have to keep playing the way we have been recently. It has been a difficult first half to the season but we are confident we can turn it around and maybe win a trophy as well because we are still involved in the Europa League and of course the FA Cup so my aim is top four and a trophy. Today I don’t think we were at our best but we did enough to win and I’m happy with these big three points.

    4aib5AX.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Lichtsteiner, Holding, Koscielny, Kolarov, Bielik, Tonali, Fernandes (Torreira, 75), Lodeiro (Jenkinson, 62), Belotti (Sessegnon 62), Bramall
    MK Dons (5-3-2): Nicholls, Brittain (Williams, 75), Cargill, Moore-Taylor, Walsh, Hancox (Youssouf, 67), Houghton, Traore (Cisse, 62), McGrandles, Sow, Aneke

    Q: Fabio a comfortable victory this time around how happy are you with the performance?
    Cannavaro: I am very happy with our performance especially in the first half, we created a lot of chances and then in the second half we were solid and kept the ball well. We got off to a perfect start with a beautiful free kick from Bruno (Fernandes) and it helped lift us and the crowd and from there I just feel we controlled the match and deserved to progress. We wanted to make sure here was no upset because we saw their quality two weeks ago and we did well to ensure we progressed.

    Q: Paul not quite as close to the upset as the last time you faced Arsenal. What was different today in your opinion?
    Tisdale: They started a player worth £80,000,000 in attacking midfield and he scored an absolute peach from thirty yards with seven minutes on the clock to throw our game plan out the window haha. Listen he was brilliant in that first half we couldn’t cope with him and they deserved to beat us but I thought in the second half we showed our spirit we came out fighting and I am proud f the lads performance because we could easily have come out at half time and let another three or four in but we fought for each other and should be proud of ourselves.

    1g8hkGk.png

    Q: Jurgen a comfortable win in the end how important could that win prove to be in the title race?
    Klopp: I think it is a crucial win for us, Arsenal are having a very good season and we knew it would be a difficult game but I think we deserved to win and I am happy with our performance. We have now created a nice gap between ourselves and Arsenal but there is still a long way to go in the title race. I thought that we controlled the match very well we defended when we had to but in the main we were the ones creating chances and could have scored more especially in the first half.

    Q: Fabio a disappointing result, what are your thoughts on the game?
    Cannavaro: I thought that we deserved to get something out of the game. It is never easy going to Anfield because they create a hostile atmosphere but I feel we played well and on another day we could have drawn or won because we created chances. We hit the post twice it was a massive moment because when your losing by one goal it could change the match and could have helped us push on and win but this is football and they scored on the counter when we were trying to equalise.

    PUTpfQl.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Lichtsteiner, Holding, Lascelles, Kolarov, Tonali (Xhaka, 68), Torreira, Lodeiro (Fernandes, 57), Sessegnon, David, Bramall (Belotti, 68)
    Fulham (4-3-3): Fabricio, Sakai, Mawson (Le Marchand, 65), Pedro Henrique, Angelino, Zambo Anguissa (Pulgar, 74), Seri, Cairney (Johansen, 57), De Paul, Philipp, Sisto

    Q: Fabio heading into the match you were huge favourites to reach the final after winning the first leg how disappointed are you to let that lead slip at home and exit the competition on away goals?
    Cannavaro: It is extremely disappointing because we worked so hard to reach this stage of the competition and to go out on away goals a rule that was only brought back this season hurts us. We didn’t play well enough to win we were poor all game and it is a massive disappointment because our fans deserved to reach the final but we must brush ourselves down and we go again on Saturday against Fulham in the FA Cup and hopefully we can get some revenge in that competition.

    Q: Claudio heading into this match very little people gave you a chance and then Max Philipp put in a performance like that what did you make of the game?
    Ranieri: I thought it was a superb performance from the players not just Max Philipp but everybody because they worked hard to claw the game back and I think today we deserved to win so I am happy we could pick up this result for our fans and now we can look forward to a cup final at Wembley. They were the favourites because they won the first game and they were at home but we had nothing to lose and we will try and play the same way on Saturday in the FA Cup.


  • Ashy
    9739 posts League Winner
    Form is taking a dip now, the last lost to Fulham hurts especially at home too, maybe you rested too many players I'm not sure. Losing to the big boys Liverpool and Chelsea doesn't look good, Ramsey scoring against his old club at the Emirates too, I can't take this much pain!!

    I will say the Williams sale was smart, almost 100m there to spend on getting this team back into shape, spend wisely, maybe on that defence based on the goals conceded lately
  • LAboog4
    651 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Crazy money coming from Bayern. That will hopefully be used to bring in fresh blood and improve the squad. The losses to Liverpool and Chelsea are not surprising but are something Fabio will need to improve on in his time at Arsenal.

    Getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup a match from the final is frustrating even though it's the least important cup.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ashy wrote: »
    Form is taking a dip now, the last lost to Fulham hurts especially at home too, maybe you rested too many players I'm not sure. Losing to the big boys Liverpool and Chelsea doesn't look good, Ramsey scoring against his old club at the Emirates too, I can't take this much pain!!

    I will say the Williams sale was smart, almost 100m there to spend on getting this team back into shape, spend wisely, maybe on that defence based on the goals conceded lately

    Shame to lose so close to the final I agree maybe the team played wasn't strong enough but it should have gone to penalties not away goals which is a shame
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Crazy money coming from Bayern. That will hopefully be used to bring in fresh blood and improve the squad. The losses to Liverpool and Chelsea are not surprising but are something Fabio will need to improve on in his time at Arsenal.

    Getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup a match from the final is frustrating even though it's the least important cup.

    Form has slipped a little but it has been a tough schedule disappointing to lose in the semi finals after winning the first leg away from home
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    I7AiCUh.png

    Arsenal have signed former Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek from Lazio after matching the midfielders £26,600,000 release clause. The England international who helped Lazio surprisingly win the Serie A title last season has set his sights on doing a similar feat this season with Arsenal after putting pen to paper on a four and a half year deal worth £84,000 per week. We sat down with Ruben to get his thoughts on the move.

    Q: Ruben welcome to the club. What is it that has attracted to the team?
    Loftus-Cheek: I think this team is a team that is growing, we have a young hungry coach in Fabio (Cannavaro) who obviously I came up against last season with Lazio and he showed how good a manager he is then helping them finish fifth was incredible. When I spoke to the gaffer I knew I wanted to come here and play under him and play in this incredible season I am really proud to be given this opportunity and hope I can repay the faith shown in me.

    Q: You were part of a Lazio team that shocked the whole of Italy winning the title last season. How did that feel?
    Loftus-Cheek: It was amazing, nobody really gave us a chance but we always believed in ourselves and obviously we managed to secure the title it reminds me a little bit of what is going on here at the moment nobody thinks we can win the title but hopefully we can prove everyone wrong again. I know this situation is different with us being eight points off top but speaking to the lads they still want to try and push for the title but I think getting back into the Champions League after almost five years would be a great achievement in our first season together.

    We also spoke with Fabio who said this “I am delighted to be able to welcome Ruben to the club. He is a fantastic English player who already knows the league and I believe he will add the technical and physical presence in the centre of midfield that we have been looking for. I am delighted we could secure this deal I had tried to sign him on loan when at Parma but Chelsea only wanted to sell him and we didn’t have the finds for the deal but I am so happy I have managed to sign him for Arsenal.

    hY3gZbY.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3): Leno, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Marcelo, Xhaka, Loftus-Cheek (Tonali, 77), Fernandes, Nelson (Lodeiro, 77), Belotti, Sessegnon (Oyarzabal, 77)
    Fulham (4-3-3): Fabricio, Hadergjonaj, Pedro Henrique, Mawson (Le Marchand, 77), Angelino, Zambo Anguissa, Pulgar, Cairney (Seri, 59), De Paul, Philipp, Gervinho (Sisto, 83)

    Q: Fabio knocked out of two competitions in a week by the same opposition. How frustrated are you tonight?
    Cannavaro: I am very disappointed because we didn’t deserve to lose this match, we dominated from start to finish, we hit the post twice and forced their keeper into several saves a somehow we end up on the losing side again. I feel that the new players played well they are still settling in but today we should have won with the chances we created we just have to go again on Tuesday and try and bounce back.

    Q: Claudio you have beaten Arsenal twice in a week and knocked them out of two cups how happy are you at the moment?
    Ranieri: We are delighted, Arsenal are a fantastic team and to beat them twice in five days is incredible. They had a lot of the play today but I felt they played a lot in front of us and we didn’t really feel that threatened by them obviously they had their moments but I always felt we were in control of the match and I feel that showed with the victory and the progression into the next round.

    XbWRLZU.png

    Q: Jose after playing against ten men for most of the second half how disappointing is it to lose today?
    Mourinho: We dominated the game both in the first half and the second half but we weren’t clinical in front of goal and it has cost us because they scored a fantastic goal and then they just defended and didn’t really try to score. It was a display where we dictated the play, we created opportunities to score their keeper made some saves but the best chances we put wide or over and we punished for that.

    Q: Fabio how does that result feel after playing most of the second half with ten men?
    Cannavaro: It feels fantastic because we have been criticised for our defending all season but today we dug in deep and defended exceptionally keeping a clean sheet at Old Trafford. I think one thing we have shown on occasions this season is we can compete in the big games against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge we really dug in but today with ten men it was exceptional and I think it might gives us a lift to go on a run after the recent disappointments of being knocked out of two cups.

    JMRzCIU.png

    Q: Fabio a fantastic game for the neutral with eight goals, a saved penalty and a red card. How disappointing is it not to win after leading by two goals for so long?
    Cannavaro: We fell apart, we scored after Bernd (Leno) saved the penalty a great counter and then we conceded virtually straight away and then a minute after kick off Mikel (Oyarzabal) gets himself sent off and from that free kick they go down to our net and equalise. We were superb for large periods but these are the issues that I think we have that mean we can’t fight for the title yet I think we are missing one or maybe two players that’s the small details.

    Q: Pep a superb game and a fantastic come back from your side. What are your thoughts on the game?
    Guardiola: I think both teams defences didn’t play very well today especially in the second half when it was just attack after attack. It was a spectacular game which had everything and I think this is a game to show people for many years because it had fantastic goals and some brilliant attacking football but we have to think logically and I am frustrated because today we should have won the game. When they went down to ten men we had eighteen minute to be patient after David’s equaliser but we tried to hard to find the goal.

    F0Ahem0.png



  • LAboog4
    651 posts An Exciting Prospect
    RLC is a great addition and someone that can control the midfield for years if he continues to develop.

    Fulham have your number it seems, a fun story rival in the making. Great point against City being able to hold on with ten men in the end.
  • Wildfireburns
    41 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Disappointing to fall out of both cups in the same week but now the Fulham vs Arsenal Derby might get a little bit more heated. Loftus-Cheek is a great signing. He'll hopefully pull the strings and get the ball to the attackers.
  • DB1512
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    Despite a lot of points dropped you are still in third place, lucky for Fabio their rivals also drop a lot of points. RCL is a great signing, will he be a starter soon and for whom?
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    RLC is a great addition and someone that can control the midfield for years if he continues to develop.

    Fulham have your number it seems, a fun story rival in the making. Great point against City being able to hold on with ten men in the end.

    I feel the losses to Fulham are down to one man - Max Philipp :lol: he knows how to score against me
    Disappointing to fall out of both cups in the same week but now the Fulham vs Arsenal Derby might get a little bit more heated. Loftus-Cheek is a great signing. He'll hopefully pull the strings and get the ball to the attackers.

    I feel he should help us keep the ball and help the transition from defence to attack
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Despite a lot of points dropped you are still in third place, lucky for Fabio their rivals also drop a lot of points. RCL is a great signing, will he be a starter soon and for whom?

    I think he has to force his way into the team as any player has but being honest I feel Xhaka's place is more available then Torreiras
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Unfortunately my computer crashed and I have lost all of February's result, goalscorers and interviews as I didn't save it :angry: but I will post the scores tomorrow and an updated version of the league table
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    oFzwm6i.png

    0fsAZYm.png

    9whYLFq.png

    CBZtBe0.png

  • DB1512
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sad to see Belotti injured after you sold Iñaki Williams, who is your striker now in the upcoming matches? I think Betis is a team you can beat.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    I was thinking that the irregular results on top of the league table were helping Arsenal. But the up and downs are clearly hurting the team in recent games and the Premier League is in danger now and the top-4 is far from assured.

    The injury of Belotti and the sale of Williams damage the attack of the team. Now the manager must show his talent to find solutions in this key moment of the season.

    In the Europa League, Betis is an uncomfortable rival, but Arsenal are still favourites. Considering the situation in the Premier League, I wonder if Cannavaro will reserve his best team to try to win the Premier League or make a bet for a more realistic option in Europe.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Sad to see Belotti injured after you sold Iñaki Williams, who is your striker now in the upcoming matches? I think Betis is a team you can beat.

    We do have young Jonathan David on loan from Bayern but we also have the option of playing Bruno Fernandes as a false 9 and going without a striker we will see
    subpop wrote: »
    I was thinking that the irregular results on top of the league table were helping Arsenal. But the up and downs are clearly hurting the team in recent games and the Premier League is in danger now and the top-4 is far from assured.

    The injury of Belotti and the sale of Williams damage the attack of the team. Now the manager must show his talent to find solutions in this key moment of the season.

    In the Europa League, Betis is an uncomfortable rival, but Arsenal are still favourites. Considering the situation in the Premier League, I wonder if Cannavaro will reserve his best team to try to win the Premier League or make a bet for a more realistic option in Europe.

    It is typical that we sell a striker and our only top striker then gets injured a month later this is a position we have to strengthen in the Summer but for now we will see. I don't believe we can win the title with the injury of Andrea but we will see
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    dLSwDeD.png

    Real Betis (5-4-1): Lopez, Mbabu, Papadopoulos, Sidnei, Feddal, Willems, Baptistao (Savarino, 71), Boudebouz (Canales, 60), Camarasa, Inui, Loren
    Arsenal (4-3-3 False 9): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Kolarov, Tonali, Loftus-Cheek (Xhaka, 71), Torreira, Fernandes, Nelson (Lodeiro, 60), Oyarzabal

    kAtGCLk.png

    Q: Fabio who said you wont be able to score goals without Belotti. A great performance what are your thoughts on the game?
    Cannavaro: Andrea is a massive loss everybody knows that but we are confident in the team we have and are sure the team will all work even harder to help replace him. I think Ryan (Sessegnon) was outstanding this was his best performance arguably of his career and he really helped drag us through scoring three goals and assisting another he should be really happy with himself because the rest of us are.

    Q: Eddie a disappointing loss, did the poor start cost you?
    Howe: Yeah it did, I told the players we had to be the ones who got off to a good start but we were switched off. They would have been nervy with all that’s been written since Andrea’s injury so we could have put some pressure on them by putting them on the back foot but we were just to lethargic and before we knew it we were a goal down and chasing the game. I thought we reacted well once we went behind but by then their nerves had settled and they played very well.

    VGcctPi.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3 False 9): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Marcelo, Tonali (Xhaka, 87), Loftus-Cheek (Oyarzabal, 71), Torreira, Fernandes, Nelson (David, 90), Sessegnon (Mustafi, 105)
    Real Betis (5-4-1): Lopez, Mbabu, Papadopoulos, Sidnei, Feddal, Willems, Baptistao (Savarino, 71), Boudebouz (Canales, 60), Camarasa, Inui, Loren

    Q: Fabio after two very tough games your team has managed to nick a goal and secure qualification into the quarter finals. How are you feeling?
    Cannavaro: These games have been incredible but man it plays with your emotions, we hit the bar we wanted to win but we had to be cautious because if they scored then it is virtually 2-0 but we defended well over both legs even though we receive criticism for our defending we have kept two clean sheets against a tough opponent and we have had to play without a striker for both games really because of Andrea’s injury and Jonathan (David) is still young but he played well when he came on and assisted the goal.

    Q: Quique of all the goals to knock you out of a competition how much does it hurt to concede like that?
    Setien: It wasn’t a good goal to concede it was a poor goal. If they had scored the free kick in the first half when they hit post and they go through from that then I say it was a beautiful goal but this goal was ugly, it was a horrible goal there was no power in the shot it should have been prevented but players like Bruno (Fernandes) can have moments when a little bit of sloppiness and he passes the ball into the corner and the keeper can’t get down there to stop it but I don’t feel we deserved to lose like this.

    hG3efFM.png

    Q: Sean a 0-0 draw how happy are you with this result and the performance of your players?
    Dyche: I thought it was one of our best defensive displays of the season, I know everybody will say Arsenal were missing their striker but I thought we still defended well and get them to long range shots. Its always difficult facing Arsenal people will say why didn’t we take more risks facing a team with no striker but its easier said then done when a team are as good as Arsenal are on the ball you end up taking risks and getting thumped then your stupid for going all out against Arsenal its hard to win.

    Q: Fabio a 0-0 draw against a team fighting relegation how frustrated are you at that performance?
    Cannavaro: We deserved to win the match in my opinion. First half Reiss (Nelson) hits the post with an open net from four or five yards out the second half Fernandes goes past Mee and is brought down and it should be a penalty straight in front of the lines man I want to know why this isn’t given do they think Bruno (Fernandes) dived? If so where is the yellow card for diving no he didn’t dive ok give us a penalty one or the other but officials you can not speak about because they have the FA punish you if you criticise their stupid decisions.

    V5BKd76.png

    Q: Claude two questionable penalties in a tight game. How disappointing is it to lose when you score three goals at home?
    Puel: Two very questionable penalties in my opinion, I don’t think either should have been awarded but that is the decision of the referee and when you lose by one goal but two of your opponents goals shouldn’t be there you have lost three points in the end. Arsenal are a great team and when you make mistakes they punish you and we made to many mistakes and let them into the game in moments where we were starting to dominate the match.

    Q: Fabio, Claude says you shouldn’t have had any penalties, what was your views of the penalty decisions and the match as a whole?
    Cannavaro: I think the first wasn’t a penalty but the second I agree with the referee he fouled him after he shot but to be honest we should score before that because we hit the post twice in that same move. I thought we played well and we deserved to win the game, Bruno (Fernandes) was unplayable they really struggled with his movement, his passing and obviously his goals. He is a world class played and I am so happy to be able to play him and see how he plays the game I think he is up there with the best players in the world and he is showing that in a big league now at big moments.

    CF43Qx6.png

    9IspblW.png
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    The draw against Burnley is a new step backwards. I find truly alarming the poor defensive record of the team. While the team excel in attack, the defense is similar to a relegation team. It's easy to make a connection between the irregular results and the poor defense.

    Thankfully the team was able to scratch a goal against Betis to keep advancing in the Europa League.
  • LAboog4
    651 posts An Exciting Prospect
    A UCL position is very much within your grasp, which would be a great first season achievement. Much like the position Emery is in right now.

    OGC Nice is a good draw to play. Not the worst team left but also you avoided Chelsea and Napoli for now.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    subpop wrote: »
    The draw against Burnley is a new step backwards. I find truly alarming the poor defensive record of the team. While the team excel in attack, the defense is similar to a relegation team. It's easy to make a connection between the irregular results and the poor defense.

    Thankfully the team was able to scratch a goal against Betis to keep advancing in the Europa League.

    The team has the second worst defence in the league and I feel in the summer we will have to improve the quality I think a right back and a centre back will be primary targets along with a striker but we can't think about the summer yet because we still have to secure Champions League football
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    A UCL position is very much within your grasp, which would be a great first season achievement. Much like the position Emery is in right now.

    OGC Nice is a good draw to play. Not the worst team left but also you avoided Chelsea and Napoli for now.

    Champions League qualification would be fantastic for Fabio in his first season and will help attract better players as five years with no Champions League football doesn't look good
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    HPHrSmG.png

    Q: Fabio your second loss against the bottom team this season how frustrated are you with that performance today?
    Cannavaro: I think we realise now that we need a striker desperately in the summer, Jonathan (David) isn’t on the level we require and it has cost us today because we have missed to many chances in front of goal. He is young so maybe he will develop in the future but in terms of making an impact he hasn’t had any impact in the games he has played really and it’s a shame we had high hopes for him but we can’t blame just him because we conceded two very poor games and we have lost to the bottom team at home.

    Q: Marcelo a fabulous win in a pretty dismal season so far do you still think you can stay up?
    Bielsa: It will be difficult but we have to believe otherwise there is no point in putting in performances like the performance that we put in today. Arsenal played a very strong team but we managed to win the match and I think we deserved to win this game. We defended very well and made things difficult for them all afternoon, no matter what happens we should be proud of our two wins over Arsenal I’m sure they hope we go down.

    McQrH7b.png

    8UOIWau.png

    OGC Nice (5-3-2): Benitez, Veltman (Schlupp, 90), Tomkins, Ordels, Herelle, Bertrand (Berchiche, 81), Lees-Melou (Tameze, 62), Cyprien, Danilo, Gregoritsch, Schick
    Arsenal (4-3-3 False 9): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Kolarov, Tonali, Loftus-Cheek (Xhaka, 81), Torreira, Fernandes (Sessegnon, 81), Nelson, Oyarzabal

    Q: Patrick a 0-0 draw in your first game as manager against your former club. Going to the Emirates next week are you feeling nervous?
    Viera: Not really, I have played there a couple of times as a player since leaving and have always had a warm reception. I love the club everybody knows that but everyone also knows that I am a winner and I will be going there with the intention of knocking them out of the competition, this is a massive chance for us to qualify for the Champions League and keeping it goal less tonight was a great result because we are confident we will be able to score at the Emirates.

    Q: Fabio a 0-0 draw in a game that you dominated. How frustrating is it to have drawn that game after missing so many chances?
    Cannavaro: It is obviously very frustrating because we created a lot of chances we hit the post and the keeper has made three or four great saves but a 0-0 we had in the first leg the last round and we still qualified so we aim to reach the same goal this time around. I feel the performance was solid we kept the ball well and defended superbly Sandro (Tonali) was excellent in the middle of the park keeping the ball and protecting the defence.

    cgZBQ9A.png

    Q: Fabio how important was it you won today given the fact Tottenham cloded the gap to just two points after your loss to Leeds United last week?
    Cannavaro: We responded in the correct way because the last two results weren’t results we would have liked. We drew a game we dominated and lost a match where we didn’t show any of our quality but today they went down to ten men and we played fantastic football to create chances and punish them for it. It was the correct call he didn’t attempt to win the ball just foul Ryan (Sessegnon) so it was correct to send him off and Bruno stepped up to take it and scored again. I think Nico (Lodeiro) is very under appreciated and should receive more credit for his season and hopefully he extends his deal because it expires soon.

    Q: Mark a tough day at the office. What are your thoughts on the red card and how difficult it made things today?
    Hughes: I believe it was a harsh red card because Ryan’s touch took him away from goal but obviously making the challenge gave the referee a choice and on this occasion he has seen it as a red card and sent him off. It is never easy playing Arsenal but going down to ten men after ten or eleven minutes and going a goal down straight after your facing a mammoth of a challenge and away at the Emirates it is virtually impossible because they made that man count.

    yVdwqns.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3 False 9): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Kolarov (Marcelo, 76), Tonali, Loftus-Cheek (Belotti, 65), Torreira, Fernandes, Nelson (Sessegnon, 83), Oyarzabal
    OGC Nice (5-3-2): Benitez, Veltman, Tomkins, Ordels, Herelle, Bertrand (Berchiche, 75), Lees-Melou (Tameze, 63), Cyprien, Danilo, Gregoritsch (Saint-Maximin, 78), Schick

    Q: Fabio after dominating in both legs you find yourselves eliminated on the away goals rule. What are your thoughts on the two ties?
    Cannavaro: It is disappointing that we are eliminated because in this game we have a shot cleared off the line, we hit the post, we hit the bar we did everything to win but they scored a special goal against the run of play and they qualified. Andrea (Belotti) maybe needs a few games to get back up to speed because he didn’t look himself when he came on but we had to try to score and it came to late for us and we are out which is a shame.

    Q: Patrick through to the last round with some great last ditch defending and a little slice of luck what did you make of the game?
    Viera: I think that when you defend as well as we did today you deserve a little bit of luck. Arsenal is a very tough place to visit I am sad to see them eliminated because this club is close to my heart but my job is to help Nice get as far as possible and I knew we had a job to do and we did it well. I think Danilo’s goal was world class it was unstoppable and to go through thanks to a goal like that is a special feeing everybody is really happy in the dressing room and they should be proud of themselves.

    Danilo Screamer

    gVOEcoe.png

    Q: Fabio two goals down at half time are you happy with a point given how late you left it?
    Cannavaro: We showed some character but in terms of the performance I think we looked really tired. I think Bruno (Fernandes) looked like the last few months have really taken their toll on him because he has played an incredible amount of football and hopefully now he can have a rest with us not having a midweek game and come back next week. I think the players need a break so we will give them a couple of das off until Wednesday so they can rest then we will go back to training nd hopefully be fresh.

    Q: Chris after leading by two goals at half time how frustrating is it to only come away with a point?
    Hughton: It is extremely frustrating but what can you say to the players, we dominated the match and could easily have scored another couple of goals in the first half I mean Bernd (Leno) kept them in it to be honest and we wanted to try and stay tight after the break but obviously the ball breaks in the area like it did with Belotti on the pitch and he’s always going to be the player that anticipates in and pokes it home and then right at the death to concede after Arsenal created nothing all half is sickening.

    1dcI6VV.png

    Q: Rafa a tough result to take after leading two goals, what are your thoughts on the match?
    Benitez: We are obviously disappointed that we conceded so late, we fought so hard to get ourselves in the lead and when we were leading defended so well I don’t think they created to many chances but Fernandes scored a beautiful goal and we knew they would be dangerous until the final seconds I is just a shame that we lost concentration for that split second and it allowed them to go home with a point.

    Q: Fabio second game in a row you have fought back from two goals down and have scored late to secure a point. You must be happy with the character of your team?
    Cannavaro: Of course we are showing incredible team spirit we aren’t happy that we keep going two goals behind but we keep fighting back and showing that we will never give up. We now have five games left and it is our aim to finish in the top four, we have put ourselves in a strong position to now achieve this goal but I know that it will not be easy but getting Arsenal back into the Champions League after five years would make me very happy and is the platform we need to push on.

    1HMCucc.png

    tvBn8Ty.png
  • DB1512
    337 posts Sunday League Hero
    Five points from four games is not a lot, lucky for Fabio Spurs also dropped a lot of points so Arsenal is still fourth. Sad to lose on away goals in the EL, stupid rule if you ask me.
Sign In or Register to comment.